AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Hyouka

Notices

View Poll Results: Hyouka - Episode 14 Rating
Perfect 10 25 30.49%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 39 47.56%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 14 17.07%
7 out of 10 : Good 3 3.66%
6 out of 10 : Average 0 0%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 1.22%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2012-07-22, 22:21   Link #21
whitecloud

Chitanda getting lesson from irisu....chitanda alter is born....oreki's fate is sealed in stone....
the scene in the end will definitely need to be change..... oreki will never able to escape chitanda
Old 2012-07-22, 22:49   Link #22
Qilin
Romanticist

Now I'm certain. This is definitely the best arc we've had so far, and it isn't even over yet.

Strictly speaking, nothing much happened, but this arc has been filled with some interesting subplots regarding each of the club members. So I'm going to divide my thoughts into bullets.
  • Irisu is grooming Eru into her successor. It's a match made in hell, I believe.
  • I also notice that Eru doesn't refer to Irisu with the "senpai" honorific. Hmmm...
  • We finally see ultimate end of Houtarou's fetch quest mini-arc, and it was satisfying to say the least.
  • The depth of characterization that Mayaka got in this arc is staggering. She almost feels like a completely different character.
  • On that note, her Manga Club senpai let the matter rest way too easily, I think.
  • The Astronomy Club was hilarious.

In terms of sheer fun, this episode was off the charts.

I'm almost sad that the show will shift its focus onto the mystery from the next episode onward.
Old 2012-07-22, 23:25   Link #23
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Why do I suddenly think the manga senpai is connected to the thefts and she let Mayaka off easy because she took the manga ? Of course don't really care too much about the mystery since the episode was too much fun. Nice when mystery is a bit secondary to everything else in the story.
Old 2012-07-23, 00:00   Link #24
Marina2

Wow........Kyoani always done a good job for school festival ep.
Old 2012-07-23, 00:49   Link #25
Markerlight

This arc is an example of how to do slice of life right - being entertaining while having subtle character development. Definitely the best episodes in the whole series, thus far. The cooking comp was surprisingly thrilling, and who would have guessed that broken pen would end up saving them?
Old 2012-07-23, 01:09   Link #26
margafred
ლ(́◉◞౪◟ ◉ ლ )

After watching the subs, realized some mistakes that i made when watching the raw. Nevertheless, its still good when watching it again and again. The cooking competition never cease to amuse and thrill me.. truly a good episode among the episodes in Kanya Festival arc.

Btw i started to like the main motto of Hyouka "Watashi Kininarimasu!"... though its been the favourite line of Chitanda, but when the cooking club president (CVed by the long time collaborator of Kyoani's popular series, Tomokazu Sugita), it made me laughed so much, i kept repeating that scene again and again.

Truly, episode 14 is the best for me in this arc. I hope next episode would be even better than today.

Btw tho i cnnt change my vote already, but at this point, i can feel that my score point for episode 14 is 9/10.
Old 2012-07-23, 01:10   Link #27
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
Why do I suddenly think the manga senpai is connected to the thefts and she let Mayaka off easy because she took the manga ?
I don't think the thief went to Mayaka's home. And she didn't find a note.

The senpai just isn't that hostile. Mayaka's been pressuring herself for nothing. The senpai has probably just gone to fetch a copy of the manga.

I wonder if the chain of deals can continue? Does Oreki have a leftover bag of cookies?

Last edited by Anh_Minh; 2012-07-23 at 01:24.
Old 2012-07-23, 01:19   Link #28
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Irisu teaching Eru the rules of psychological coercion? Especially that last advice?

.... it's as if a million Oreki's screamed in horror, and then were suddenly silenced. Hope you can run fast Oreki Houtarou, for soon there will be nowhere left to hide

Also, good to see even Houtarou pitching in to help with the cooking competition - they telegraphed that a mile away with the flour exchange, but still didn't diminish the awesomeness of the moment. And Eru show's who's the goddess of cooking. Go girl

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
Old 2012-07-23, 01:34   Link #29
zeniselv
Staring into your soul.

this was the best episode ive seen of this series, i even have gotten to get fond of oreki and schitanda, and even if slice of life are not my thing, i really enjoyed this episode, and im not very fond of they coming back to the mysteries, like i sadi before, this works as a slice of life, since the mysteries are very lacking in every aspect.
Old 2012-07-23, 02:10   Link #30
GMT
Orthodox Haruhiist

In this episode of Hyouka!

- Chitanda gets Irisu to move some pamphlets.
- THE HYPNOTOAD Chitanda convinces the Ice Queen Irisu to teach her some of her techniques ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOTOAD...
- Oreki trades a gun for a bag of flour! Which he uses to be a BIG DAMN HERO.
- EPIC COOKING CONTEST!
- The school kleptomaniac strikes again!

The cultural festival arc continues in this episode. Mayaka admits to her nemesis that she doesn't have the manga from last episode. She is then exiled to the gulag made to do posters. Chitanda gets her old pal Irisu to move some anthologies for her, and causes her some yuri-flavored embarrassment by deciding that Irisu wanted to shake hands to finalize the deal (instead she, imperiously, wants a sample of the merchandise.) Chitanda then goes all HYPNOTOAD on Irisu and extracts some tips from her. Comically, Irisu reacts in almost the same way Houtarou usually does.

Houtarou is set upon by the Ghosts of Halloween Past, who are peeved at him for lighting bags of dog doo on fire in front of their door in the days of his wild youth. Actually, it's just a couple of Girl Scouts pushing cookies. Houtarou offers to trade them a gun and an anthology for some cookies. For his trouble, he gets a bag of flour, and the knowledge that he set a pair of Girl Scouts off on a life of crime.

The cooking competition starts, and a thinly-disguised Kyon is its president (he even makes reference to a Mobius Strip when his vice president talks about how much time Satoshi is taking ... we see what you did there, KyoAni.) Satoshi's nemesis decides to play unfair by bringing an actual apprentice chef. However, Satoshi counters with a Chitanda; who, besides being THE HYPNOTOAD, is also a highly-efficient cooking robot. Too efficient, as it turns out, because she's left nothing for Mayaka to cook anything with except some scraps.

But that's just fine, because it takes Mayaka most of the episode to escape from the gulag finish her poster. It's a desperate dash for her to get to the field of battle, only for her to despair at the lack of ingredients as the clock runs down . . . BUT WAIT! Houtarou, like a big damn hero, rides to the rescue with that bag of flour. And then it's an emotional (it's absolutely amazing how tense it was watching this, and how surprisingly emotional the payoff at the end was) race against the clock as we root for Mayaka to finish her dish.

She finishes in the nick of time, the ChitandaxHoutarou and MayakaxSatoshi ships gets teased just a little more, the Classics Club wins the cooking contest, and the school klepto strikes again.

This episode was more fun than a man should be allowed to have in 22 minutes.

9 bags of flour out of 10.
Old 2012-07-23, 03:04   Link #31
raruku

How all four member of Kotenbu work together and win really made my day.
Old 2012-07-23, 03:11   Link #32
SRanger
Remember, no moe.

i fucking love irisu.
Old 2012-07-23, 03:17   Link #33
U<3Anime
Boo!

ELEMENT CHANGE!!!

Man, you`re killin me Tomokazu Sugita.

Was also impresssed by Mayaka`s entire running sequence. Kyo ani probably had a lot of fun with that one.
Old 2012-07-23, 03:49   Link #34
maskun

Sugita is so full of win. I laughed at BlazBlue's reference XD
Old 2012-07-23, 04:08   Link #35
Kiltias

Sugita:

"I'm curious!"

Completely made it for me.

Though, what kind of witchcraft was the Astronomy Club pulling there?
Old 2012-07-23, 04:10   Link #36
Calca
Expressionless

Irisu has leveled up Chitanda.

There goes whats left of Oreki's free will
Old 2012-07-23, 04:28   Link #37
Hyper
Irregular Hunter

Sugita-san's character never fail to make me laugh. I'm pretty sure all the random shouting are his ad-lib. All his not-serious characters did that.

I've been watching the last three episodes in succession, due to some traveling. A lot has been said about how these three episodes do a good job on make the viewers actually feel like they're experiencing the festival themselves. I have to say it works even better watching in one go because the "excitement" never goes down.

Looks like we'll dive back to a mystery-solving episode next week though. I wonder if they'll change the tone or just keep up this "fun" atmosphere. I sure hope it'll be the later.
Old 2012-07-23, 04:29   Link #38
MartianMage

Still watching the episode as of typing this... anyway... someone in the production committee is an SNK fan. First Nakoruru and now we have King. Would have liked a Kula or Athena but I guess it's too flashy or out of place.
Kyubey: Perhaps the same could be said of all religions.
Homura: Your words are as empty as your soul! Lolis ill-needs a savior such as you!
Kyubey: What is a loli? A miserable little pile of moe! But enough talk...have at you!
Old 2012-07-23, 04:33   Link #39
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagan poor View Post
As mentioned above, that was Tomokazu Sugita. His responses were pretty wacky from the subs.
No wonder I recognized him. How could I miss that it was Kyon's voice.
Old 2012-07-23, 05:01   Link #40
tsunade666

Another perfect episode for me and to top it all from other episode. Irusu-sempai shows up again! to teach Chitanda how to dominate

good drawing skills Mayaka and good cooking skills for Chitanda. Oreki being Oreki -_- didn't even bother to go out of his little shelter. The ending points out that next episode its time for Oreki to walk out of his little room and start solving the mystery which surely makes Chitanda curious enough to bug him to move.