AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross

Notices

Old 2013-05-20, 17:51   Link #1521
magnuskn

<shrug> I've been a player for 15 years now and have read the novel series for much, much longer. I only can report what I see locally in Germany when going to conventions or chapter fights. Which is a lot middle-aged and old fat men and no young people.
Old 2013-05-20, 18:07   Link #1522
Nerroth
NePoi!

At this point, I figured the BT side of things might go better in its own thread.

In KS news, the project has passed US$1.3M; the YF-4 minis are now in as optional add-ons.
Old 2013-05-20, 18:14   Link #1523
karice67
さっく♥ゆうきゃん♥ほそやん

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnuskn View Post
Sure, the last holdouts are still buying books, but the franchise has lost most of its popularity, at least in the tabletop category. The fanbase is getting older and new blood isn't coming in. But that's what happens if you timejump the setting 100 years, THEN abandon that new highly unpopular timeline and try to return to the original timeline, while still slavishly following the events laid out in the new, abandoned, unpopular timeline.

Sometimes I think Kawamori really has a thing with his malleable continuity fetish.
Er...does Kawamori even have anything to do with BattleTech or that KS campaign for the Robotech RPG?

How Suetsugu Yuki drew the cover for Chihayafuru volume 34

Interview translations etc

You must free yourself from that illusion,
from the illusion that a story must have a beginning and an end.

"No, you are not entitled to your opinion... You are only entitled to what you can argue for.”
- Patrick Stokes

karice67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-20, 21:01   Link #1524
Nerroth
NePoi!

The final figure: US$1,442,312.
Old 2013-05-21, 07:32   Link #1525
magnuskn

Quote:
Originally Posted by karice67 View Post
Er...does Kawamori even have anything to do with BattleTech or that KS campaign for the Robotech RPG?
No, it just came to my mind that Kawamoris approach to continuity has some advantages, compared to the horrible clusterfuck which is BattleTech continuity. Even though I normally prefer clear, logical continuity, not the "take what you like " approach Kawamori uses. ^^
Old 2013-05-21, 10:25   Link #1526
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

Believe it or not, when it comes to continuity, I find Warhammer 40K to be far, far worse...

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Tak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-21, 14:26   Link #1527
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMeKags View Post
Oh god, not more Robotech junk....
For once, I agree with you. Unreservedly.

Quote:
Nothing. He, Satelight, and Big West get NOTHING from this.
Old 2013-05-21, 16:34   Link #1528
magnuskn

My god, the bitterness which drips out of that sentence. Almost as bad as when I talk about, erm, what they did to Anakin Solo, how Brian Michael Bendis killed Gwen Stacy, how Joe Quesada did wrong to Robert Weinberg, how Wizards of the Coast FUCKED UP the Forgotten Realms...

Maybe I shouldn't throw stones in a multiple layer glass house. ^^
Old 2013-05-21, 17:35   Link #1529
Nerroth
NePoi!

I suppose there's a degree if irony in that sentiment, since any of the "Unseen" money that went into this project is money that will not be going to the people actually running BattleTech as a going concern.

That's one of the main reasons why I feel somewhat conflicted over this project. While I can understand the reasons why some people might want to go for them for that purpose, I find myself more drawn to those "home-grown" designs which were created for BT in the first place, as opposed to being drafted in from someone else's universe.

But still, the die is cast, and Robotech RPG Tactics (or, at least, its miniature line) is going to make quite a splash one way or another. Where the project goes from there, however, will be another story.
Old 2013-05-21, 19:00   Link #1530
karice67
さっく♥ゆうきゃん♥ほそやん

Doesn't bother me much then, as I'm still not touching Robotech even with a 10 foot pole...

-----

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnuskn View Post
No, it just came to my mind that Kawamoris approach to continuity has some advantages, compared to the horrible clusterfuck which is BattleTech continuity. Even though I normally prefer clear, logical continuity, not the "take what you like " approach Kawamori uses. ^^
Pardon my slight misinterpretation then. I thought you'd written "Sometimes I think Kawamori really has a thing for", which adds to the negative connotations of 'fetish', when it seems that you meant something more along the lines of "Sometimes I think Kawamori really has something going with" - though you can correct me again if that's wrong too.

-----

As for those other franchises, whilst I have no clue about the rest of them, I dropped the Star Wars extended universe once I found out what happened to Anakin - and I've never forgiven GWL for that.

How Suetsugu Yuki drew the cover for Chihayafuru volume 34

Interview translations etc

You must free yourself from that illusion,
from the illusion that a story must have a beginning and an end.

"No, you are not entitled to your opinion... You are only entitled to what you can argue for.”
- Patrick Stokes

karice67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-22, 02:44   Link #1531
magnuskn

Quote:
As for those other franchises, whilst I have no clue about the rest of them, I dropped the Star Wars extended universe once I found out what happened to Anakin - and I've never forgiven GWL for that.
Anakin Solo, I presume. And I concur, although my blame squarely goes to the Del Rey editing staff who oversaw that storyline and Sue Filoni, who was the liason to LucasArts.
Old 2013-05-22, 07:09   Link #1532
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

I had almost no problem with what happened to Anakin. Now, Jacen is another story completely... Although, if I'm being honest, that still didn't make me drop the EU. Not completely, anyway.

And, come on, the moment the new movies hit, that's all moot, anyway.

BetoJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-22, 09:20   Link #1533
magnuskn

Yeah, that's why I'm not even following closely anymore what happens there... we'll see what remains standing after episode VII.

And killing Anakin was the most moronic, stupid, idiotic corporate decision in the history... oh, nah. Mass Effect 3 managed to have worse writing, there's that.

Man, when I need to make a scale of really, really, really stupid decisions by writers...
Old 2013-05-22, 13:31   Link #1534
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

They wanted more conflict in the Solo family. First Chewbacca, then Anakin. Crushes Han and Leia up emotionally. Then there is the twins. I have no idea why they went that route with Jacen, though I get the feeling it might have been a call from on high about Episode VII related stuff. Rumors suggest that there will be a female protaganist. The likelihood is Jaina Solo, but to do that you need to remove the brothers.

I stopped reading after Anakin was killed, but not for that reason. There were just too many books coming out at once starting in 2002. I couldn't keep up anymore.

The Robotech thing is interesting both from a Macross and a Battletech standpoint. If the miniatures are the right sizes, they can be used in Battletech to return the Unseen in a "legal" fashion. And for Macross, all the stuff is the same, you just call it by its Macross names instead of their Robotech names and you can have Macross table top battles.

A near win-win for gamers.
Old 2013-05-22, 15:06   Link #1535
magnuskn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
They wanted more conflict in the Solo family. First Chewbacca, then Anakin. Crushes Han and Leia up emotionally. Then there is the twins. I have no idea why they went that route with Jacen, though I get the feeling it might have been a call from on high about Episode VII related stuff. Rumors suggest that there will be a female protaganist. The likelihood is Jaina Solo, but to do that you need to remove the brothers.
Uh, wrong on all accounts. ^^ I've been a very active member on the TheForce.net for many years ( though not lately ), and everything you just said is not remotely true.

a.) They wanted to show that heroes are not invincible, i.e. make Star Wars darker than it had been under Bantam. Originally it was Jacen to be killed in Star by Star, but they changed their mind after George Lucas said that he did not want somebody else who is named Anakin to be the big hero of the NJO. Which is why this turned out so badly, because they had built up Anakin to the big next thing ( very successfully so ) and Jacen and his "do nothing, because doing anything is interfering with the will of the Force" idiotic philosophy could not be squared with the necessary proactivity of a protagonist hero.

b.) At the time when Jacen turned dark and was killed, nobody even knew of episode VII. It mostly was done because they had hinted for years that Jacen had come back "wrong" from his stint with the Yuuzhan Vong. And because a lot of fans hated the character, though the same fans were unhappy about the way he was offed.

c.) The new movies will be original stories and have nothing to do with the current EU, as far as we know. Any connection between the two is complete conjecture at this point.
Old 2013-05-23, 05:37   Link #1536
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerroth View Post
I suppose there's a degree if irony in that sentiment, since any of the "Unseen" money that went into this project is money that will not be going to the people actually running BattleTech as a going concern.

That's one of the main reasons why I feel somewhat conflicted over this project. While I can understand the reasons why some people might want to go for them for that purpose, I find myself more drawn to those "home-grown" designs which were created for BT in the first place, as opposed to being drafted in from someone else's universe.

But still, the die is cast, and Robotech RPG Tactics (or, at least, its miniature line) is going to make quite a splash one way or another. Where the project goes from there, however, will be another story.
I gotta admit, whatever the reason, this is a MASSIVE (and very PUBLIC) victory for Palladium.

Who's funding all this? Robotech fans? Macross fans? Battletech fans? Any or all of the above? Your guess is as good as mine. But SOMEONE wants these figures badly enough to pay out the nose for them.

(Oh, and I read the original Timothy Zahn "Thrawn" trilogy, and decided the EU wasn't for me, right then and there. I wish it hadn't taken me three books to figure that out, but hey...)
Old 2013-05-23, 10:21   Link #1537
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yot-chan View Post
(Oh, and I read the original Timothy Zahn "Thrawn" trilogy, and decided the EU wasn't for me, right then and there. I wish it hadn't taken me three books to figure that out, but hey...)
You, sir, have no taste. Good day to you.

Old 2013-05-25, 11:26   Link #1538
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetoJR View Post
You, sir, have no taste. Good day to you.

Original Star Wars: ended with the Death Star exploding and everyone getting medals.

Empire: CLIFFHANGER!! Han's still in carbonite. Luke gets his hand cut off and replaced... STILL, LUKE FOUGHT VADER!!! HOW COOL IS THAT???

RotJ: Second Death Star explodes. Darth Vader dies, killed by Force lightning after throwing the Emperor down a huge drop.

"Thrawn" trilogy: ended with totally AWESOME, AMAZINGLY BADASS, CONTENDER-FOR-BEST-EVER villain dies because a knife gets tossed into his chest by a resentful alien. "Artistic" or not, it lacked, shall we say... punch?
Old 2013-05-25, 15:44   Link #1539
magnuskn

Yet the irony was heavy. ^^
Old 2013-05-26, 11:42   Link #1540
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Exactly. And the road is so much sweeter than the destination.