AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-05-17, 12:47   Link #1
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

Anime for me and my sister

I want to ask for an anime recommendation for my younger sisters. Something that is not so girly so i can watch along with her.

Like everyone she's a fan of all those Walt Disney shows. About anime she like Lovely Complex and Alice Academy... but i do not. I tried to show her some slice-of-life or slap sticks anime... it does not work out.

The only two anime that we both really enjoyed so far is "The girl who leaps through time" and "Minami-ke S1". So in short, i want non-shoujo anime that girls may enjoy to watch

Last edited by risingstar3110; 2010-05-18 at 11:00.
Old 2010-05-17, 12:57   Link #2
VampirePrincessKairi

Well,do you want romances,fighting,or what?
Old 2010-05-17, 13:11   Link #3
seven|x_x
( ゚∀゚)アハハ八八ノヽノヽノ​ヽノ \ / \

kissXsis

how about some ages, their interests, etc?
Old 2010-05-17, 13:12   Link #4
Falkor

shows directed by Junichi Sato are family-friendly for the most part.

Kaleido Star.
Princess Tutu.
ARIA (Animation, Natural, Arietta, Origination), throw in Sketchbook ~Full Colors
Umi Monogatari, maybe?

I would also recommend some Ghibli Movies. Spirited away, maybe?

you may also want to try Dennou Coil. sci fi with an interesting and amiable story. the main characters are children by the way.
Old 2010-05-17, 14:03   Link #5
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar3110 View Post
The only two anime that we both really enjoyed so far is "The girl who leaps through time" and "Minami-ke S1". So in short, i want non-shoujo anime that girls may enjoy to watch
If they liked The Girl Who Leapt Through Time then they may like Summer Wars (it's on my Sig). Same studio, same director, same script writer. It's just less Slice of Life/Romance and more virtual reality crazyness. And something that works for both genders. I also recommend Toradora!. I feel it's a romance that works for both genders too.

You also need to tell us what you've already watched. The link in your prfile is broken. It just says 'Internal Server Error'.
Old 2010-05-17, 15:21   Link #6
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Go through the Studio Ghibli movies. That's what I am doing with my little brother.
Old 2010-05-17, 15:47   Link #7
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

Koi Kaze? *cough* just kidding

anyway, yeah Ghibli movies are up your alley. They're even released by Disney here in the states.
Old 2010-05-17, 15:48   Link #8
fertygo
Hyakko Fanboy

Watch Koi Kaze dude

Btw this is kinda wild idea, but watching Ookiku Furikabutte with your sister will be amazing experience...
I'm sure your sister will getting fun imagining male friendship like in that title
Old 2010-05-17, 17:35   Link #9
Cynor
SS Bombardment Mage

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar3110 View Post
I tried to show her some slice-of-life or slap sticks anime... it does not work out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falkor View Post
ARIA (Animation, Natural, Arietta, Origination), throw in Sketchbook ~Full Colors
Aria is such a "slice of life" that if they both liked that I'd eat my hat. Granted it's a good series, but it's so lazy and slice of life style...

While more details would be nice about what you're looking for (or what you think they and you would like) would help, there have been some recommendations here that could fit already.

Code Geass will probably work too. It's not girly, slice of life, etc. You'll probably like it, and they may too as it can reach a large audience.

Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha may also work. It's got "Magical Girl" in the title so that may make it appeal to younger girls, but at the same time it's not anywhere near your traditional mahou shoujo series, so you may like it too. I know in the past people have used this image to describe it.

Finally, definitely will second, third, whatever lol, the Ghibli movies. As was said they're even released by Disney here in the states. So should be an easy sell.

We will always exist before our Mistress of the Night Sky, Hayate
Old 2010-05-17, 17:54   Link #10
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Don't watch Koi Kaze.

A few CLAMP titles may be a good idea. Like Cardcaptor Sakura and Angelic Layer.
Old 2010-05-17, 18:23   Link #11
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

http://forums.animesuki.com/tags.php?tag=children
http://forums.animesuki.com/tags.php?tag=girls
should give you a number of ideas.

Right now I'd pick Kemono no Sou-ja Erin, Dennou Coil, or Cross Game as good places to start.
Old 2010-05-17, 18:27   Link #12
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Hayate the Combat Butler is another one that may be good.

And Dennou Coil was really, really good.
Old 2010-05-17, 19:10   Link #13
Poetic Justice
100Shots100Hits LuluLaLu

@ People recommending kiss x sis and koi kaze. Disturbing to say the least.
Old 2010-05-17, 19:55   Link #14
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Read or Die might be a good choice. If she likes the OVAs you might like ROD TV to.

Cross Game would probably be a good choice. The whole thing screams Disney.

My top recommendation however is Crest of the Stars

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Old 2010-05-17, 20:37   Link #15
CeDeR
Inactive Member

Send a message via ICQ to CeDeR Send a message via AIM to CeDeR Send a message via Yahoo to CeDeR
I second Dennou Coil.
Old 2010-05-17, 20:44   Link #16
GreatTeacherKen

Maybe Angelic Layer? Even though it has a female protagonist, it's one of CLAMP's shonen series, so you don't have to worry about it being too girly. :P It's basically a tournament fighting series and a story of how the heroine tries to find and reconnect with her estranged mother, so there's plenty of relationship-building and character development in between all the action.
Old 2010-05-17, 21:29   Link #17
Strygwyr
Attention Queen killer.
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post

A few CLAMP titles may be a good idea. Like Cardcaptor Sakura and Angelic Layer.
Second this. Toradora, Fruits Basket are romance

Magical Rayearth is mecha but with 3 girls main characters (CLAMP also)

Sailor Moon-Fantasy
Old 2010-05-17, 22:29   Link #18
barcode120x
MSN, FNP-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by seven|x_x View Post
kissXsis

how about some ages, their interests, etc?
I don't think kissxsis would be appropriate..considering they like Walt Disney I'd assume they're pretty young, kissxsis wouldn't fit. I'm not saying it's a bad anime, but not proper for them.

"Caring may occur without curing, but curing cannot occur without caring."

“Uncertainty is the most disturbing part of decision making.”
Old 2010-05-17, 23:20   Link #19
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I recommended Angelic Layer on the other threads I linked to. It's one of my favorite "you go, girl" animes for the 11-14 audience, and you can watch it for free at Crunchyroll.

Remarkably there are a variety of strong anime that would appeal to both you and your sister. Since you haven't told us her age, I'm going to guess based on what you've told us that she's probably in that same 11-14 age group and make some suggestions based on that. My choices generally reflect a bias toward shows with a feminist bent.

Let's start with shows that are "free" beyond the ones I mentioned before. Here I'd recommend Nijuu Mensou no Musume, Windy Tales, and perhaps Tokyo Magnitude 8.0, though you need to pre-screen most of this show, and for that matter Kemono no Sou-ja Erin episode six, if she's younger than ten. I'd also recommend Shion no Ou, but you should pre-screen episode one.

For a comedic change of pace I'd suggest Chi's Sweet Home/New Address or Higepiyo. Both feature cute animal protagonists and tell delightful stories in under five minutes per episode.

In the licensed category I'd suggest Tweeny Witches or Moribito, and, if she's on the older end of the age spectrum, Noein, Nodame Cantabile, Saiunkoku Monogatari, or Twelve Kingdoms. Twelve Kingdoms can be bloody in places. If blood, especially blue anime blood, isn't an issue, then Claymore is another possibility for older girls.
Old 2010-05-18, 02:31   Link #20
signorRossi

Start with Dennou Coil, you won't be disappointed.
Closed Thread

Tags
children, girls