AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2010-02-22, 11:29   Link #161
Kaijo
Banned

Location: Somewhere over the rainbow, in a house dropped on an ugly, old woman.
Send a message via AIM to Kaijo Send a message via MSN to Kaijo
Genetics isn't the only factor; laziness and lifestyle certainly do play a factor. It's just important to take all factors into consideration. The person who says "it's not my fault" is just as dumb as the one who says "it's all your fault." The truth is generally more complex, and thus snap judgments and simple explanations just don't work.
Kaijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-22, 14:59   Link #162
ChainLegacy
廉頗

Genetics is/are a factor in that different ethnic groups have adapted to eating different foods. For example the Inuits have had an extremely hard time keeping healthy with the American diet because their ancestors adapted to a diet of fish and blubber. Likewise, East Asians tend to be the best at metabolizing 'bad' carbohydrates without putting on weight because of how long such things have been in their diet. So take a look at your ethnic background and that might give you some clues as to how you should eat to remain healthy.
ChainLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-22, 16:01   Link #163
Lio
Presence

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwertyuiopz View Post
oh how i love my high metabolism

5'6 at 130
Oh I know, and we have the same build! I'm guessing you're also athletic?
Lio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-22, 16:29   Link #164
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChainLegacy View Post
Genetics is/are a factor in that different ethnic groups have adapted to eating different foods. For example the Inuits have had an extremely hard time keeping healthy with the American diet because their ancestors adapted to a diet of fish and blubber. Likewise, East Asians tend to be the best at metabolizing 'bad' carbohydrates without putting on weight because of how long such things have been in their diet. So take a look at your ethnic background and that might give you some clues as to how you should eat to remain healthy.
Of course, temper that against what food/crop was available to your ethnic background. A lot of euro-culture, for instance, sucks in the green vegetable department.

American Southern cooking may be yumyum tasty - but without adjustments it kills whites and blacks in the South quite quickly.
Old 2010-02-22, 17:11   Link #165
john_kun
Banned

But I'm fat and lazy. What can I do to change it?
john_kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-22, 17:18   Link #166
Bassoonicmayhem
The Procrastinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by john_kun View Post
But I'm fat and lazy. What can I do to change it?
Wii Fit...?
Old 2010-02-22, 18:12   Link #167
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

All I have to say is that the biggest key to keeping your weight down in exercise. If you are not exercising enough, then you are harming yourself and have no right to blame genes. Most times it is just your habits that are to blame.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-22, 18:48   Link #168
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

I'm genetically predisposed to not exercising much.

(I've found that "not stuffing my face" and "not snacking" is enough to keep my weight down, but I think it varies from individual from individual)
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-22, 19:35   Link #169
qwertyuiopz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lio View Post
Oh I know, and we have the same build! I'm guessing you're also athletic?
no
i do exercises but my body physique is slim
sometimes i wonder since i see huge muscle tanks at the same weight
qwertyuiopz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-22, 20:42   Link #170
john_kun
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassoonicmayhem View Post
Wii Fit...?
To lazy to go to video game store
so what do I do now?
john_kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-23, 00:34   Link #171
Bassoonicmayhem
The Procrastinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by john_kun View Post
To lazy to go to video game store
so what do I do now?
Okay, I know! Every time you type, use your entire finger; up and down! By exercising your fingers you are somehow exercising your body and thus making your body all good an' healthy an' stuff.

Or you could always order online.
Old 2010-02-23, 08:24   Link #172
Narona
Emotionless White Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by FragrantFlora View Post
I think being fat can be caused by genetics
I am not sure about that.

Just saying, but when I watched documentaries about people freed from the concentration camps during the WWII, there was no fat people, scrawny would actually be a better word, no actually, they were even worse than just scawny. For a simple reason, they were not given any food or so little... and as if it was not enough, some of them had to "work" (including carrying corpses) before being killed. It sounds creepy, I know

So, maybe a person can get fat "faster" than others, but staying fat even without eating? I have some difficulties to believe it.
Narona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-23, 08:57   Link #173
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Well you can look fat (or in this case bloated/edematous) and still be malnourished. Bear in mind that you only look fat but have nearly no actual fat cells left.

Kwashiorkor.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-23, 13:26   Link #174
War_Lord
Modern Philosopher

As hard as it is for me to believe, I'm actually overweight. My BMI is 29 when it should be 26. I'm no heavy eater and I exercise regularly, but if I eat more than I should, I'll easily be in the obese range. My mom is obese, but she's at least taking some steps to manage her health, though she can do much more. I don't have anything against obese people myself, but I'll probably sigh if I have to sit next to one on the bus.
Old 2010-02-23, 13:37   Link #175
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by War_Lord View Post
As hard as it is for me to believe, I'm actually overweight. My BMI is 29 when it should be 26. I'm no heavy eater and I exercise regularly, but if I eat more than I should, I'll easily be in the obese range. My mom is obese, but she's at least taking some steps to manage her health, though she can do much more. I don't have anything against obese people myself, but I'll probably sigh if I have to sit next to one on the bus.
If you DO exercise regularly (e.g. weightlift) and have more muscle mass than usual... then your BMI may be just fine. Don't let doctors be lazy - the BMI is a statistical trend for large populations and doesn't take into account people who are more active than average.

You may not even be "eating more than you should" but you might want to look at WHAT you're eating. Strive for lower carb diet. If you want to knock off "crap" weight - keep it to around 150g a day.
Just keep tabs on your carb intake and watch out for 'hidden' carbs. Some carbs are better than others (e.g. beans/oatmeal/barley way better than cola/candy) because they're complex and take longer to break down (i.e. low glycemic).
Old 2010-02-23, 14:23   Link #176
ChainLegacy
廉頗

Also, one's body fat percentage is a far better indicator of obesity than BMI.
ChainLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-23, 15:13   Link #177
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChainLegacy View Post
Also, one's body fat percentage is a far better indicator of obesity than BMI.
They're selling weight scales now that use electrical resistance to guesstimate body fat when you stand on the scale. Not as accurate as a "dip in the water" test but helpful.

I'd really like to see fellow fans looking and being healthy, it makes for better cosplay. I'd like to return to the days when a visit to the mall didn't require eye bleach and zeppelin avoidance skills -- that wasn't that long ago.

I fear universal healthcare (of which I'm an advocate) if this matter isn't addressed with a strong preventative strategy.
Old 2010-02-23, 18:37   Link #178
cheyannew
PolyPerson!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
If you DO exercise regularly (e.g. weightlift) and have more muscle mass than usual... then your BMI may be just fine. Don't let doctors be lazy - the BMI is a statistical trend for large populations and doesn't take into account people who are more active than average.

You may not even be "eating more than you should" but you might want to look at WHAT you're eating. Strive for lower carb diet. If you want to knock off "crap" weight - keep it to around 150g a day.
Just keep tabs on your carb intake and watch out for 'hidden' carbs. Some carbs are better than others (e.g. beans/oatmeal/barley way better than cola/candy) because they're complex and take longer to break down (i.e. low glycemic).
Oh good gods, I cannot point to this enough....
When I had a job, I was regularly lifting 60 lb servers and had a LOT of muscles. Moving desks, etc was a regular thing for me.
I weighed more then than I ever had before barring pregnancy and for a while it freaked me out until a friend of mine (who did physique competitions and has a Phd in holistic health) explained the whole muscles weigh more etc. According to BMI (height/weight calculation) then, I was obese which was very WTF-ish since I hadn't changed my pants size or anything (and actually had more room in some spots).

I ended up ignoring my BMI. If I feel good, don't get winded on a 2mile trek, my clothes're fitting well (roomy) and my weight stays reasonable, I'm not going to panic. I've lost 10 lbs since the beginning of the year, so that's awesome in my book. But I'm not obsessing over the numbers, either. That's a quick trip to panicland

RIFT | Division | Side 7 Art Archive
cheyannew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-23, 19:52   Link #179
NightbatŪ
Deadpan Snarker

People can be overweight, or people can be aware of themselves being overweight
and lately most of those seems to have a medical condition:

Which usualy come down to:
"I'm allergic to exercise"
"No really I'm overweight because of vitamin-defficiency, I can only get Vitamin Quadruple Y-umlaut from chips, icecream and McDonalds"
"It's genetic, my parents, grantparents, uncles, aunts, cousins and siblings just don't have it"
"I'm Diabetic,... Blood sugar level? What's that?"
Old 2010-02-24, 05:31   Link #180
Mystique
Honyaku no Hime
*Fansubber

Location: In the eastern capital of the islands of the rising suns...
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightbatŪ View Post
People can be overweight, or people can be aware of themselves being overweight
and lately most of those seems to have a medical condition:

Which usualy come down to:
"I'm allergic to exercise"
"No really I'm overweight because of vitamin-defficiency, I can only get Vitamin Quadruple Y-umlaut from chips, icecream and McDonalds"
"It's genetic, my parents, grantparents, uncles, aunts, cousins and siblings just don't have it"
"I'm Diabetic,... Blood sugar level? What's that?"
Sarcastic, but he has a point.
(And sadly, those examples are probably well used excuses around where he lives...)
Spoiler for the fat excuse:

PS: Bassoonicmayhem and John_kun may wanna hang out on your profile walls rather than semi spamming in here..?

Worrying is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere. - Van Wilder
"If you ain't laughin', you ain't livin'." - Carlos Mencia
Mystique is offline   Reply With Quote