AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Steins;Gate

Notices

Old 2011-05-07, 10:55   Link #841
ninryu
It's yuri, bitches

Quote:
Originally Posted by klare View Post
Kenshin style... the show strongly suggests she is from the future

looks like all the efforts for the computer is worth it
Haha, I thought the same thing.
Spoiler:

She looks completely silly, but she's actually a ninja!
ninryu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-07, 17:26   Link #842
GreyFlcn

Now to add in some Okarin.

GreyFlcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-07, 22:18   Link #843
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

I just finished Starmine Rendezvous and I find it amusing that HOUOUIN KYOUMA calls Kurisu Christina while Mayuri calls Kurisu Christian (Kurisu-chan).
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-08, 03:19   Link #844
Kafriel
Senior Guest

Picked this up today, and while the first episode was interesting, I was rather let down by the wave of overly common themes introduced in ep.2 (maid-cafes, catgirls, shrine miko/trap,etc.) and grit my teeth in ep.4...anyway, all that randomness aside, it's a pretty good mystery for this season. Half-expecting to see Kyouma and Kurissu in the last files of Jellyman's report, with Kyouma being the first successful experiment....
Kafriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-08, 07:34   Link #845
Sol Falling

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyFlcn View Post
Now to add in some Okarin.

Win.

Tentatively following this show...some slow patches so far, but I don't doubt that the hype will probably be backed by a fair amount of substance.

One thing though. As prompted, earlier on in this thread, I looked up some stuff about John Titor. Didn't really get all that deep into it, but from what original debates and postings I saw which John Titor did make personally, I experienced a very strong basic reaction that his words were nothing more than empty sophistry and an elaborate hoax. Aka, in terms of remotely rational and intelligent believability, the whole John Titor thing is entirely worthless and pointless. So, the fact that Steins;Gate seems to have used this as a genuine basis for a story kinda annoys me--as if the story is implying to me that the whole 2000 John Titor thing was remotely believable.

Obviously the real plot has hardly been touched on so far though. So this is how the show currently stands for me: I am tentatively hoping/expecting that in the anime the whole John Titor aspect turns out to be (on some level) simply a hoax or cover story, as in real life, as well. I hope that, in the final conclusion, Steins;Gate sticks to complete fiction and does not try to convince me that the John Titor hoax, bearing any remotely accurate parallels to its real life counterpart, was in any way genuine. If so, my suspension of disbelief will remain suspended and I'll probably be able to fairly enthusiastically appreciate this series. However, if that doesn't happen, and the entire premise of this story turns out to seriously be about the idea of 'what if the John Titor hoax was actually real?', then I will unfortunately be dropping this potential turd like nothing but a hot, stinky rock.
Sol Falling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-08, 08:03   Link #846
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol Falling View Post
One thing though. As prompted, earlier on in this thread, I looked up some stuff about John Titor. Didn't really get all that deep into it, but from what original debates and postings I saw which John Titor did make personally, I experienced a very strong basic reaction that his words were nothing more than empty sophistry and an elaborate hoax. Aka, in terms of remotely rational and intelligent believability, the whole John Titor thing is entirely worthless and pointless. So, the fact that Steins;Gate seems to have used this as a genuine basis for a story kinda annoys me--as if the story is implying to me that the whole 2000 John Titor thing was remotely believable.
Or you can look at it from a different angle and consider that the team behind the game saw potential in the clearly fictional tale of John Titor as a basis for their own story. It's not that it's believable, it's just that it's an interesting bit of science fiction.
Old 2011-05-08, 12:12   Link #847
Kafriel
Senior Guest

Quote:
Obviously the real plot has hardly been touched on so far though. So this is how the show currently stands for me: I am tentatively hoping/expecting that in the anime the whole John Titor aspect turns out to be (on some level) simply a hoax or cover story, as in real life, as well. I hope that, in the final conclusion, Steins;Gate sticks to complete fiction and does not try to convince me that the John Titor hoax, bearing any remotely accurate parallels to its real life counterpart, was in any way genuine. If so, my suspension of disbelief will remain suspended and I'll probably be able to fairly enthusiastically appreciate this series. However, if that doesn't happen, and the entire premise of this story turns out to seriously be about the idea of 'what if the John Titor hoax was actually real?', then I will unfortunately be dropping this potential turd like nothing but a hot, stinky rock.
I'm expecting "John Titor" to be involved in SERN, and ultimately try to one-up Kyouma, who will be saved by Kurisu & co. If there's anything I don't like, it's the fact that steins;gate makes as much sense as the mad scientist's ramblings. Even if it's total fiction, having some kind of explanation would be good.
Old 2011-05-08, 13:14   Link #848
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss

The girl working for Mr. Braun is probably John Titor, given her apparent military background and time-travel common sense of labeling the text she sent Kyouma as 'first message.'
FatPianoBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-08, 13:44   Link #849
Eater of All
NOM

Quote:
You're reading too much into Steins;Gate's reference of John Titor. I doubt the purpose of it is to "convince" anyone that any particular story is real; it's just something cool to base the story on. Similar to how a clearly fictional alien story can make references to Roswell, or a romance story can make allusions to Romeo and Juliet. It's not whether something is real or not, but the themes behind it. Not all fiction is meant to be taken as a political message or propaganda.
Old 2011-05-08, 15:20   Link #850
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafriel View Post
I'm expecting "John Titor" to be involved in SERN, and ultimately try to one-up Kyouma, who will be saved by Kurisu & co. If there's anything I don't like, it's the fact that steins;gate makes as much sense as the mad scientist's ramblings. Even if it's total fiction, having some kind of explanation would be good.
Sure there are things that haven't been explained yet, but isn't that by nature of the story? Are we to expect evreything to make sense from the very beginning ?

It's a fair claim to have if it can't be explained in the end, but I don't think you're able to claim right now that it doesn't make any sense for any reason other than that the story hasn't gotten far enough to explain it. It's all part of the mystery behind it, the conspiracy no?

Quote:
So, the fact that Steins;Gate seems to have used this as a genuine basis for a story kinda annoys me--as if the story is implying to me that the whole 2000 John Titor thing was remotely believable.

Obviously the real plot has hardly been touched on so far though. So this is how the show currently stands for me: I am tentatively hoping/expecting that in the anime the whole John Titor aspect turns out to be (on some level) simply a hoax or cover story, as in real life, as well.
I'm not sure how the show is saying anything of the sorts. Isn't pretty much all fiction based on the idea of "what if?"

This isn't some documentary detailing John Titor and why he may/does exist...
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-08, 15:56   Link #851
Kafriel
Senior Guest

Quote:
Sure there are things that haven't been explained yet, but isn't that by nature of the story? Are we to expect everything to make sense from the very beginning ?

It's a fair claim to have if it can't be explained in the end, but I don't think you're able to claim right now that it doesn't make any sense for any reason other than that the story hasn't gotten far enough to explain it. It's all part of the mystery behind it, the conspiracy no?
I'm not saying let all plot loose in half a cour, but at least present an idea that the characters would follow, much like how they are currently doing with Kurisu's compressed jelly...theory(?). It would at least shake off some of the confusion and narrow down the number of possible theories to something less than infinite.
Old 2011-05-08, 18:31   Link #852
Malkuth
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Malkuth
Quote:
I'm not saying let all plot loose in half a cour, but at least present an idea that the characters would follow, much like how they are currently doing with Kurisu's compressed jelly...theory(?). It would at least shake off some of the confusion and narrow down the number of possible theories to something less than infinite.
Chris' theory made zero sense, but I guess the point of that scene was to show how she was completely incapable of explaining what was going on (hence the pulp explation)... and for Itasu to hilariously misinterpreting her, I just love that guy

Anyway, I like the way they tell the story, it slowly build up here and there the concepts necessary and pays a lot of attention to its characters, unlike all that lame and pointless exposition of a certain other anime
Malkuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-09, 02:34   Link #853
Kafriel
Senior Guest

Quote:
Itasu to hilariously misinterpreting her, I just love that guy
Gotta love the reaction when she catches up
Quote:
Chris' theory made zero sense, but I guess the point of that scene was to show how she was completely incapable of explaining what was going on (hence the pulp explation)
I know, but at least she tried setting a path to walk down, instead of randomly trying to find the answer...which is pretty much Kyouma's way of doing things. Well, I guess it's part of his character, so I'll drop the discussion till we've got something more to see.
Old 2011-05-09, 06:11   Link #854
Iggy_Pop

Sorry, If it's been posted before
Spoiler for Neko-Kurisu:

Couldn't resist
Iggy_Pop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-09, 07:44   Link #855
revive4563

Quote:
Picked this up today, and while the first episode was interesting, I was rather let down by the wave of overly common themes introduced in ep.2 (maid-cafes, catgirls, shrine miko/trap,etc.) and grit my teeth in ep.4...anyway, all that randomness aside, it's a pretty good mystery for this season. Half-expecting to see Kyouma and Kurissu in the last files of Jellyman's report, with Kyouma being the first successful experiment....
If you like this kind of theme, you'll never regret watching this. If anything, if you are Mayusii moe moe type, I think you'll find it hard to continue watching this.
Because the later part of series will be an utter serious sci-fi suspense mood unlike first several episodes.

Quote:
Kurisu's compressed jelly...theory(?)
Of course the most part of explanation scenes from VN is omitted. don't mind about it.
revive4563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-09, 09:44   Link #856
TheGeekHuntress
If only you were brave.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
Sure there are things that haven't been explained yet, but isn't that by nature of the story? Are we to expect evreything to make sense from the very beginning ?

I'm not sure how the show is saying anything of the sorts. Isn't pretty much all fiction based on the idea of "what if?"

This isn't some documentary detailing John Titor and why he may/does exist...
I agree. I believe the series just uses John Titor since when he did appear on the web, he was extremely interesting and caused so much uproar seeing as he referred to himself as a time traveler. I think its cool that they added him in as it ties in perfectly with the kookiness of Okarin.
TheGeekHuntress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-09, 15:02   Link #857
dark998

So a jellified body is the result of an imperfect time travel process. That's gross.
dark998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-09, 16:28   Link #858
Deconstructor
Crossdressing Menmatic

I feel like we've been given a lot of things to think about, but with no real answers. What is SERN's true purpose behind time-travel research? Why are people jellifyed? And why does Okarin spend hours staring at a llama with the face of a man?! Steins;Gate tends to focus on side issues, like carrying an old computer across town and complaining along the way, or playing board games with a cosplaying neko for free food. I don't think it's bad, but I feel like I would be more interested in the science fiction aspects.

EDIT: My bad, it's an alpaca. An alpaca with the face of a man.

Last edited by Deconstructor; 2011-05-09 at 17:02.
Deconstructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-09, 16:55   Link #859
GreyFlcn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deconstructor View Post
And why does Okarin spend hours staring at a llama with the face of a man?!
Because it's terribly important.

Spoiler:
GreyFlcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-09, 17:06   Link #860
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deconstructor View Post
I feel like we've been given a lot of things to think about, but with no real answers. What is SERN's true purpose behind time-travel research? Why are people jellifyed?
SERN's objective was given by John Titor's predictions that SERN/CERN seeks to gain a monopoly on time travel in order to rule the world from the shadows in not so distant future. And jellifyed thing was already given a theory/explanation by Kurisu in the 5th episode, which mostly due matter compression if her theory on how their time machine works is true.
MAL
Kotohono is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drama, science fiction, seinen, time travel, trap, visual novel adaptation