AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Accel World

Notices

Old 2012-04-08, 06:15   Link #541
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
Unlike most anime though, the one being bullied here actually looks like a bully victim. In most anime, the bullied tends to be a nice pretty (or at least cute) boy who makes you wonder just why people would bully him at all.

Here, we have a short fat kid. A stereotype bully victim, yet strangely refreshing for an anime considering how rare they are.

Which is also why I disagree with the "this must be a representation of his minority complex and he doesn't really look like that" theory that goes around. I know he looks different from what we're used to in anime heroes, but we should be giving him a chance for being original, not running away in denial claiming "he doesn't really look like that."
Well, it's an anime. No human being looks like any of them (big eyes, small mouth).

He's surely meant to be short and fat, no question about it. But that fat? He's what, 13? And he can run a bit if he has to.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-08, 07:17   Link #542
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
I think that Haru's shortness is probably visually exaggerated a bit to make him seem cuter in a way (Chibi-fied characters being almost always cute). However, I think he really is a short and pudgy guy - It's just that the actual height difference is more in inches than in feet, as the visual presentation would make you think, lol.

Other than that, I'm with Keroko. It's good to see a bully victim that actually seems like someone who would attract the attention of bullies.
Old 2012-04-08, 07:27   Link #543
Patriot's Blade
its Ghost Madoka time!!!

Send a message via Yahoo to Patriot's Blade
i don't know why Haru reminds me of Simon from Gurren Lagann....
"legends said that Alto Saotome made a correct decision, he left both Ranka Lee & Sheryl Nome to marry the skies & proceed to make love with her, it was a long sight to behold according to the witnesses, the sky is now pregnant"
Patriot's Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-08, 07:40   Link #544
Kakkou
Tch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRAGUN H.E.X. View Post
i don't know why Haru reminds me of Simon from Gurren Lagann....
They have more or less the same eyes?
Kakkou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-08, 07:50   Link #545
Akarin

NSFW
Accurate depiction of Haru and Hime
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Akarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-08, 08:06   Link #546
Seiryuu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarste View Post
Or... they're just friends?
I'm talking about the degree to which she goes in her concern. Especially considering she's got a boyfriend. Her level of concern seem a little much for a simple friend. As protective as she is, it looks like she either feels bad for him, which makes him feel worse, or there's something more there. Anyhow, I was going from a little more than just the anime version when I wrote that. Still, I've been reading up and now know the answer to my own question.
Seiryuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-08, 09:28   Link #547
sa547
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akarin View Post
NSFW
Accurate depiction of Haru and Hime
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Lucky bastard. Hope they're true to each other (reminds me of Shallow Hal by its end).
Old 2012-04-08, 09:30   Link #548
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

How is the level of concern she's shown for one of her close friends getting bullied beyond normal concern? I find it to be rather normal so far.
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-08, 15:14   Link #549
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyfall View Post
My issue with this is that he is drawn in a different style compared to any other character within this very show. Nothing at all to do with how protagonists look in other shows, and everything to do with his design being inconsistent with the rest of Accel World.

With that in mind, I have every reason to believe that what we are seeing is a chibified version of him, for whatever reason. I wouldn't mind either way, but I can't consider this as his genuine look, simply because the art style doesn't add up in-universe. Hence chibi.
Agreed ... for me this was the only aspect of ep 1 that jolted me out of the story - whenever they showed him on screen I kept thinking "Why is he so different from everyone else?" For me at least it does not "add anything" to the story.

All that aside I found myself unexpectedly enjoying ep 1. I especially felt that the interaction between Haru and his friends was very real-to-life somehow, and convincing from "both sides of the fence".

I think I will put this one my "continue to test out the next few eps" list.
Old 2012-04-08, 15:23   Link #550
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

I still disagree that this somehow means we are seeing some sort of "illusionary" Haruyuki and that the "real one" looks different. There has been no sign whatsoever that this is the case, unlike a show like Sora no otoshimono, which shows us the non-chibi Tomoki during the serious moments the appearance of Haruyuki remains constant. It wouldn't be the first time an anime has some characters with different designs either, making it more likely that it was done to emphasize how different he is and how much of a bully target he is because of it. That, and to create a greater contrast between him and his Silver Crow form.
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-08, 15:31   Link #551
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Ah ha ... I was not necessarily maintaining that Haruyuki was an illusionary depiction somehow - all I was saying is that I personally don't like how different he looks from everyone else. For me it jolts me out of the immersion factor the story offers, which is admittedly a well done one imo.
Old 2012-04-08, 16:33   Link #552
joshuafaramir
Book Elitist

If yall love this series (I do too) you'd love SAO better. Hurrah for SAO Elitist!!

It's a refreshing concept of VRMMO actually albeit exaggerated. The art is amazing though. Kuryohime-whatever is nicely drawn and very close to the original art!

I'll definitely be following this series.
Old 2012-04-08, 16:51   Link #553
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

I like SAO more too. It's better science fiction. (More haremish than it needs to be, but whatever.)
Old 2012-04-08, 17:19   Link #554
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Whether one series is overall better than the other depends on many subjective factors, but I'll clarify my own point. SAO takes a technology that's very probably coming (VR) and explores a few issues it'll raise. Issues that we can even already see in today's MMORPGs, and that will be exacerbated. I'll grant that VR's arrival won't be as dramatic, fast, or easy as what's described in the light novels, but well. You've got to take some liberties to have some fun with the concept.

AW, on the other hand, revolves around an irrealistic overclocking of the brain, and introduces it in a mysterious way rather than as a normal technological development.
Old 2012-04-08, 17:25   Link #555
Kunagisa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Whether one series is overall better than the other depends on many subjective factors, but I'll clarify my own point. SAO takes a technology that's very probably coming (VR) and explores a few issues it'll raise. Issues that we can even already see in today's MMORPGs, and that will be exacerbated. I'll grant that VR's arrival won't be as dramatic, fast, or easy as what's described in the light novels, but well. You've got to take some liberties to have some fun with the concept.

AW, on the other hand, revolves around an irrealistic overclocking of the brain, and introduces it in a mysterious way rather than as a normal technological development.
Except SAO completely abandons its characters in the multiple arcs, AW never does that. SAO's story is nothing new, it can be completely modeled by .hack (although both in its earliest form came out the same time).

AW actually makes use of the camera/big brother type technology and built upon that. In case of creativity AW far surpasses SAO.
Kunagisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-08, 18:19   Link #556
joshuafaramir
Book Elitist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kunagisa View Post
Except SAO completely abandons its characters in the multiple arcs, AW never does that. SAO's story is nothing new, it can be completely modeled by .hack (although both in its earliest form came out the same time).

AW actually makes use of the camera/big brother type technology and built upon that. In case of creativity AW far surpasses SAO.
Of course AW technology is something new (new-ish). It was built upon the origins of the VR technology in SAO when it was still in it's infancy stage. You are wrong when you say SAO completely abandons its characters. If you've read all of SAOs (including) ALO, GGO, etc. (you MUST read them since they are ALL interconnected) you see how the characters are used again and again to push the character interaction and plot-line development further on.

That's what drives and makes SAO interesting. It's not because of it's generic use of technology but because of the interaction the characters present and how they lived "inside" the MMO.

AW is using the old "tournament style" storyline wherein the MC fights "vs" mode against other players which IMO, is the MORE generic type of story-line (Yu yu hakusho, Flame of Recca and a LOT MORE). SAO on the other hand, offers the readers an insight on what real death-game MMO is supposed to be.

Although I admit I haven't read all of AW since they're not translated yet in B-T but from what I can deduce, SAO has more interesting characters, concept, story-line, and not to mention, the better MC.

P.S
Where are the side effects of overclocking the brain in AW anyway? The brain is such a complex system that tampering it without fully understanding how it works can only result in failure. That, by itself, is unrealistic to the extreme.
Old 2012-04-08, 18:40   Link #557
Kunagisa

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuafaramir View Post
Although I admit I haven't read all of AW since they're not translated yet in B-T but from what I can deduce, SAO has more interesting characters, concept, story-line, and not to mention, the better MC.
... I'm sorry I ever took you seriously. Just to elaborate a bit more, how about you actually finish the untranslated volume 1 of AW (and don't give me manga as the alternative since they skipped a ton of stuff), and then finish Underworld arc of SAO before you try to be a self-proclaimed SAO elitist (the web version is floating around despite Kawahara took it off).
Kunagisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-08, 19:05   Link #558
joshuafaramir
Book Elitist

You mean the Alicization Arc? Yes, I've tried to read that one too but sadly, my Japanese is very lacking so there's nothing much I can do but wait. I know it's awesome though.

Anyway, well see what will happen in AW (anime version) until then, I still retain my judgement that SAO is a better piece than AW due to reasons stated above.
Old 2012-04-08, 21:10   Link #559
larethian

As of current, I've read 1 volume of Accel World vs 8 volumes of SAO (still trying to get v9, there seems to be stock shortage, damn me for not buying it earlier), well, even comparing 1 volume to just 1 volume, I actually prefer SAO more because it moved me a lot more. But if I'm not wrong, based on the development, I kind of see Accel World being more focused in building the central characters, especially Haruyuki and Kuroyukihime. Both series have character development of course, but in Accel World, it's more centered to how the two main characters are changing. And that's something I appreciate, which is certainly lacking in SAO. Plot-wise, meaning story development, no offense, but I find both to be lacking (of course, this may be invalid for Accel World since I have only read 1 volume), and I still feel v1 SAO is the best of SAO in the 'grand scheme of things' aspect. But SAO has somewhat 'heavier' stuff that moved me a little from time to time, so I kind of preferred that.

In terms of setting, I personally feel Accel World to be more unrealistic in certain aspects because Kawahara is writing on more futuristic stuff and trying to give flawed explanations on certain tech aspects. Well there seems to be an appendix in volume 1 which I have not read yet and I hope it answers some of my questions on certain tondemonai aspects of Brain Burst program (which will be revealed later). Nevertheless, I find it interesting and would like to follow it to see how Haru and Hime will change.

As for the anime adaptation, aside from removing of some details, it's pretty faithful up till now. And seeing it in HD (sound included) makes it much more enjoyable.

Kawahara's strength is in contained arcs, the so-called connections across the SAO arcs are not really that tight (you don't need to be a genius and serious pre-planning to connect the arcs adhoc). Another of his strength is in setting details (which becomes his Achilles's heel in Accel World, IMHO). And finally, he can write moving stories if he really puts his mind to it. As for overall 'grand-scheme-of-things' planning for his series, like I've hinted, he's not in my top-tier list of authors yet. My mind is not blown much and hasn't orgas'ed from most of his 'revelations'.

Last edited by larethian; 2012-04-08 at 21:27.
larethian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-08, 21:38   Link #560
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Production costs for this seem sky high...

Tags
action, cyberpunk, harem, sci-fi, shounen