AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Light Novels

Notices

Old 2013-07-19, 18:59   Link #1
blackwhite67
Banned

Magika no Kenshi to Basileus [Light Novel]

Relatively new. First volume came out last April and the next one is due the 25th of this month.

My way of trying to fill the hole left in my heart after the crash of IS. Trying to build up some hype and hope someone starts translating. By the way, can someone provide a finer translation of the title for the thread? Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Log View Post
Eh.

Might as well contribute something.

For harem fans and the likes.

I present you 魔技科の剣士と召唤魔王 (not nearly confident enough to translate it into English). It's pretty standard as a harem genre LN but lacks the annoying traits that a lot of harem LN's have. It's also translated into Chinese.

It's pretty new (only has one volume thus far) and given the recent uprising trend for harem LN I have a feeling that this one's going to be fairly popular. I would bet that it has a decent chance of being turned into a anime.

Spoiler for review:

Spoiler for spoiler:

Spoiler for spoiler:

Spoiler for spoiler:
Quote:
Originally Posted by whsie View Post
For 魔技科の剣士と召唤魔王, yes. Only females can form contracts since they inherently have a higher reserve of mana (or whatever they call it). In 魔技科の剣士と召唤魔王,
Spoiler for spoiler:

Now, after reading this, does anyone still feel this is remotely similar to IS? And before anyone says "older sister", realize that the older step sister here is a dual blade wielding loli.

Spoiler for Kazuki's Patron:
Note for 魔技科の剣士と召唤魔王, thus far the supernatural entities that have formed contracts aren't gods.
Spoiler for spoiler:
blackwhite67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-19, 20:52   Link #2
Fenrisulfr
私たち”友達”だから

Maybe if it gets popular enough to get translated into chinese zzhk or someone else can tl it, I really like the premise of the story and hopefully it turns out good. On an unrelated note I only read the first four volumes of IS but does it really get that bad, a season 2 anime of it is coming this fall I think.
Fenrisulfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-19, 21:02   Link #3
blackwhite67
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenrisulfr View Post
Maybe if it gets popular enough to get translated into chinese zzhk or someone else can tl it, I really like the premise of the story and hopefully it turns out good. On an unrelated note I only read the first four volumes of IS but does it really get that bad, a season 2 anime of it is coming this fall I think.
The premise was very interesting what with the whole female-male ratio. There are those, such as myself, who complain about Ichika always having to get his ass bailed by the girls even four volumes into the story. Then there's the whole lack of motivation with the author and some found the change in illustrator a difficult pill to swallow. I explain it with more concrete examples, but someone like me can tell that the author going over the top with the plot.
Old 2013-07-20, 13:42   Link #4
Log
ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Oh you actually found a English title for it good job.

Since the thread is made might as well make a short summary for chapter 1 of volume 1.

Spoiler for chapter 1 summary:

More will come latter.
Log is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-20, 14:11   Link #5
blackwhite67
Banned

Quote:
Oh you actually found a English title for it good job.

Since the thread is made might as well make a short summary for chapter 1 of volume 1.
Thank Fenrisulfr. He provided me with the english title from raw websites back in the Light Novel Recommendation thread in response to my request and thanks for all your contributions, past, present, and future.
Old 2013-07-20, 19:46   Link #6
Kadi
知識の探求者

HMM...

... exceptional this novel is not. I've seen more creative character designs and all the info-dumping at the beginning hurts. However, the heroines aren't annoying, even the tsundere has some straightforward moments and the protagonist literally cannot ignore the feelings the girls have for him. There are diagrams. He's also told he needs to conquer the hearts of at least 72 girls and he already feels (and internally admits) he wants one of them to love him more.

Well, I'm not quite done with the first volume, but I already know I'll give the second one a try, if only to see if and how the protag will develop. Oh, and while I've seen better mysterious loli advisers, Leme is still <3.
Kadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-20, 23:06   Link #7
blackwhite67
Banned

Oh. I forgot to ask, but I assumed that summoning magic summons the contracted mythical being, but I'm guessing it does more than that?
Old 2013-07-21, 01:48   Link #8
whsie

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwhite67 View Post
Oh. I forgot to ask, but I assumed that summoning magic summons the contracted mythical being, but I'm guessing it does more than that?
If you can summon a demon
Spoiler for spoiler:
whsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-21, 04:31   Link #9
Kadi
知識の探求者

Magika History Lesson!!!

As always, I don't guarantee accuracy or terms being correct.
Spoiler for History. No story-spoilers. Probably.:

Thinking about it, many elements of the setting really are convenient or plain cheap... not necessarily the history parts, but yeah, my Willing Suspension of Disbelief was frequently strained.

Last edited by Kadi; 2013-07-21 at 04:42.
Old 2013-07-21, 14:45   Link #10
blackwhite67
Banned

Thank you whsie and Kadi. This is great, but I don't understand what parts you find cheap. I mean I don't see anything that incites any more disbelief than some of the other popular series out there?
Old 2013-07-21, 16:52   Link #11
Kadi
知識の探求者

You wanted it so!

As always, I don't guarantee accuracy or completeness.
Spoiler for Cheapness, also spoilers up to the beginning of the second volume:

Last edited by Kadi; 2013-07-21 at 17:18.
Old 2013-07-21, 20:28   Link #12
whsie

Spoiler for in reply to ^:

Aside from that, I don't really have a problem with the others. The reason I enjoyed the first volume is because of the characters. The MC is respectable given the circumstances. The females are unique enough that I don't immediately think of the stereotypes. The first girl (cover girl of V1) is a major tsundere, but IMO it's a correctly written tsundere (i.e. not the HnA or STnBD heroines who are just beeps). The funny thing is that with the MC's special ability, he can also see through her thick wall. The student council president is extremely lovable (my favorite). The sword council president is adorable as a sister. The VP of the magic council has a natural fear of males and seems interesting (most development potential character wise).

Last edited by whsie; 2013-07-21 at 20:46.
Old 2013-07-21, 20:46   Link #13
EvI

the author didn't even tried to hide the clichê in the novel... but i will give it a try since some of you liked
i will just wait the rest of the sumaries
EvI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-21, 20:53   Link #14
whsie

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvI View Post
the author didn't even tried to hide the clichê in the novel... but i will give it a try since some of you liked
i will just wait the rest of the sumaries
The general reception that I've been hearing has been, "The story is cliched. But the writing and execution is better than some of the recent works."

All I can say is that even though the story is cliched, I enjoyed it. In my case, I liked it for the characters and their interaction with each other. The plot isn't anything unique if that's your thing. The fights in this novel are ok-good. Nothing unique or great.
Old 2013-07-22, 00:06   Link #15
Fenrisulfr
私たち”友達”だから

So by the end of the first volume what level is Kazuki's magic on that scale of 1-10? Can he summon the loli Lemegeton that was mentioned yet?
Old 2013-07-22, 00:45   Link #16
whsie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenrisulfr View Post
So by the end of the first volume what level is Kazuki's magic on that scale of 1-10? Can he summon the loli Lemegeton that was mentioned yet?
Not really high. He just started learning. The Student Council President has taken the MC under her wings. Even the main heroine who has been practicing for a long time can only access level 2 (or 3). FWIW, the dude is a quick learner.

Lemegeton
Spoiler for Lemegeton:
Old 2013-07-22, 01:11   Link #17
Fenrisulfr
私たち”友達”だから

Thanks for the info whsie, hmm it seems the MC is set to become pretty OP, I even thought this ln would make a good rpg videogame, shouldn't he be the country's v.i.p like Itsuka lol, also the way he can read the a girl's love meter is pretty funny and unique kind of like in DAL.
Old 2013-07-22, 04:05   Link #18
Log
ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kadi View Post
Magika History Lesson!!!
Oh goody. Thanks for taking the trouble to write the exposition. I personally didn't want to write it as it's to time consuming so I'm especially grateful. Also I'm glad that you got the exact term for what the summons are called. I don't have to keep on typing mythical beings anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kadi View Post
You wanted it so!

As always, I don't guarantee accuracy or completeness.
Spoiler for Cheapness, also spoilers up to the beginning of the second volume:
Spoiler for spoiler:

Quote:
Spoiler for spoiler:
Spoiler for spoiler:

Quote:
Spoiler for spoiler:
Don't see anything wrong here tbh.

Or I'm I being dense here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwhite67 View Post
Thank you whsie and Kadi. This is great, but I don't understand what parts you find cheap. I mean I don't see anything that incites any more disbelief than some of the other popular series out there?
It's more face palm worthy then Campione, and Gekka, that's for sure. Better then IS and HnA though.

Not going to mention DxD since it's a borderline gag series in the first place so comparing the two is unfair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whsie View Post
Spoiler for in reply to ^:

Spoiler for spoiler:

Oh and here's the summaries for chapter 2. I'm not looking back at the book while writing this so some events are probably out of order or even wrong.

Spoiler for summary:
Log is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-22, 10:34   Link #19
Kadi
知識の探求者

Le'see...

Quote:
Spoiler for spoiler:
Spoiler for ~~:

Quote:
Spoiler for spoiler:
Spoiler for ~~:

Quote:
*explanation on student council*
Don't see anything wrong here tbh.

Or I'm I being dense here?
Except for the Prez and Vice Prez, who are second years, and the 1st year trainees, the student council is absent. It stands to reason the others are third years and away on internships. It stands to reason the whole student council and not just the presidents is picked on a power-basis, so usually, the WHOLE student council will consist of third years. Who will be away. Who's ever going to do the job they're supposed to do? (If the student council consisted of "the strongest 2nd year students", the fact that the others' absence hasn't been noted and explained yet is a completely new magnitude of writing fail, so I ignored it)

Also, a system where the third years are out of school all the time sounds stupid to me. Just make the school 2 years long and add 1 year of mandatory internships or hands-on training in several areas. But I guess then you'd lose the oh so important "high school lasts 3 years". *sigh*

Yes, maybe everything can be explained, but that something so fundamental has yet to be explained to make sense just screams FAILURE in my eyes.
Old 2013-07-22, 11:34   Link #20
blackwhite67
Banned

Sorry Log, but what's VC stand for? Also, isn't Phalanx supposed to be Phenex? I just looked it up and there's no Phalanx in the list of 72 demons.

Last edited by blackwhite67; 2013-07-22 at 11:51.

Tags
action, bakapervert, borderline hentai, drama, ecchi, fantasy, harem, maids, myth, romance, swords and magic, tragedy, true harem