AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Log Horizon

Notices

Old 2014-02-05, 17:10   Link #2021
DQueenie13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmaniWeston View Post
When Shiroe and Nureha talk he says "It's the same for you Nureha-san right? I am ignorant of the specifics, but you managed to restart the inter-city transport gate, although its use is still limited."

Nureha turnt it back on though, but for a limited usage
Except you're implying that the inner-city transport system is connected to the Guard system/magic circle, when everything else suggests it isn't. Because if the Guard system was working from the get-go while the transport system wasn't, then they probably aren't linked. Same for Fairy Rings -- those aren't connected to the magic circle, as those were still operational even after the Apocalypse.
Old 2014-02-05, 17:14   Link #2022
Rendius

Quote:
(Sidenote: Minami has their intercity portal working again, so it couldnt be THAT hard to restart a magic defense system.)
It's an interesting thought, but I wouldn't make an assumption that the two constructs are related just because they both involve magic. It's like assuming that if you can drive a car, then you can fly a plane, because both have an engine.
Rendius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-05, 17:21   Link #2023
ArmaniWeston

Quote:
Originally Posted by DQueenie13 View Post
Except you're implying that the inner-city transport system is connected to the Guard system/magic circle, when everything else suggests it isn't. Because if the Guard system was working from the get-go while the transport system wasn't, then they probably aren't linked. Same for Fairy Rings -- those aren't connected to the magic circle, as those were still operational even after the Apocalypse.
I'm not implying that. I'm implying if one could restart an inner-city transport system then you could use some of the knowledge from doing that to jumpstart the guard system as they probably have similar fueling/starting systems. As for the Fairy Rings, aren't they a natural occurrence? Or are they Alv-made? the author really doesn't clarify on this matter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rendius View Post
It's an interesting thought, but I wouldn't make an assumption that the two constructs are related just because they both involve magic. It's like assuming that if you can drive a car, then you can fly a plane, because both have an engine.
More along the fact they both have an "engine," using the knowledge of one engine you can "grasp" the concept and functions of the other "engine."
ArmaniWeston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-05, 17:34   Link #2024
Rendius

Quote:
More along the fact they both have an "engine," using the knowledge of one engine you can "grasp" the concept and functions of the other "engine."
I would be worried if I were to ask an automobile mechanic to fix a jet engine, though. In any case, Nureha figuring out how the gates operate isn't going to help Shiroe figure out the magical defense system.
Old 2014-02-05, 17:42   Link #2025
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
I would be worried if I were to ask an automobile mechanic to fix a jet engine, though. In any case, Nureha figuring out how the gates operate isn't going to help Shiroe figure out the magical defense system.
i doubt Nureha actually fix anything. most likely form PH figure it out.
Old 2014-02-05, 18:09   Link #2026
ArmaniWeston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
i doubt Nureha actually fix anything. most likely form PH figure it out.
Well the fact alone means it is possible to reboot and understand Alv technology. It might not be that far of a jump from turning the transport gate on to shortening the time for the guard system to reset itself.
Old 2014-02-05, 20:54   Link #2027
Rendius

Sorry, I wasn't clear in my previous response. Despite any potential technological similarities between transport gates and defence barriers, I doubt that two neighbouring countries that are competing for technological superiority will be willing to share their discoveries with each other. At least, I doubt Plant Hwyaden would divulge willingly what it knows with the Round Table Council.

Last edited by Rendius; 2014-02-05 at 20:55. Reason: More clarity, I hope.
Old 2014-02-05, 21:10   Link #2028
ArmaniWeston

Quote:
Sorry, I wasn't clear in my previous response. Despite any potential technological similarities between transport gates and defence barriers, I doubt that two neighbouring countries that are competing for technological superiority will be willing to share their discoveries with each other. At least, I doubt Plant Hwyaden would divulge willingly what it knows with the Round Table Council.
Nureha would probably be willing to help Shiroe if he asked, I mean she IS head over heels for her. Even without help of Nureha and PH, Roderick Labs could probably solve the problem given the time and resources.
Old 2014-02-05, 22:10   Link #2029
Netto Azure
→ Wandering Bard

Has anyone compiled a list of possible questions for the next Q&A session? :O

PokeCommuninity | Bulbagarden | Tumblr | MAL
Netto Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-05, 22:19   Link #2030
DQueenie13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netto Azure View Post
Has anyone compiled a list of possible questions for the next Q&A session? :O
Look on the /a/ archives, most of their thread starter posts have a pastebin to the compiled questions. Half of them are joke ones though, I believe.
Old 2014-02-06, 01:00   Link #2031
Netto Azure
→ Wandering Bard

Found it, thanks. I should look for more to add.

PokeCommuninity | Bulbagarden | Tumblr | MAL
Netto Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-06, 17:32   Link #2032
Naole

As far as I recall nowhere is it explicitly stated that the Barrier magic circuit was built by the Alvs; it is indicated that it's Alv magical technology but not Alv built. It's called legacy of the Alv

from vol 3 Regun said; "Several towns and cities in the 'League of Freedom Towns Eastal' were only villages then. "

and also "After much research, defence magic and setting up of barriers... the legacy of the Alv... started to work. But there was no such assistance back then, so the humans planned to fight back. The first plan they executed was to use the secrets of the Alv to create new warriors, the 'Human Instrumentality Project', a large-scale experiment which created WereCats, wolf fangs, foxtails, animal hybrids and race of ceremony, the re-engineering of a human"

and Again "Several countries in Eureddo thought the battle was hopeless and gave up. They organized big fleets of ships to cross the ocean towards a new continent. The new continent also had DemiHumans, but they persevered and built their own country in this brand new world, and with the power of their faith, the 'Ancient' was born."

and then "At this moment, the second World Fraction happened, but it is different from the first, with almost no clear records and observation of it in the archives. It was the dark period in the history of humanity after all, so they might not have had the spare time to leave behind records. With the combined effort of the humans, elves, dwarves, and many races of ceremony, they invoked the holy summon spell, some religious texts describe this as 'God's Salvation'... anyway, the World Fraction happened again, the time is exactly 240 years ago.... Adventurers appeared."

This clearly shows that Landers (in particular the Kunie clan) have significant understanding of Alv magic and if you follow the logical path you have to conclude that the Kunie clan was part of the group that created the Magical infrastructure that initially summoned and now supports supports the presence of Adventurers in their world.
Naole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-06, 17:35   Link #2033
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naole View Post
This clearly shows that Landers (in particular the Kunie clan) has significant understanding of Alv magic and if you follow the logical path you have to conclude that the Kunie clan was part of the group that created the Magical infrastructure that initially summoned and now supports supports the presence of Adventurers in their world.
i would put it down as HAD significant understanding of Alv magic.

if landers can built these magic circles and armor in the present. they wouldn't be so sorry about the goblin army. The Landers might have built both hundreds of years ago but it is unlikely they currently have the knowledge or skill to do so.
Old 2014-02-06, 17:54   Link #2034
Naole

I suspect that there is a significant technical requirement in the construction of these barriers; perhaps even requiring special items.

But I especially like the part were Rigan says "and with the power of their faith, the 'Ancient' was born"

I only have a rough Idea about what's on vol 7; but if you take into account the secrets of the kunie and the speculated origins of the Ancients I suspect that the kunie still have that secret Knowledge.

This might explain why the genius regard the 'Ancient' as dolls if their very existence is an act of faith.

The akiba barrier is a serious issue that cannot be ignored; Anyone whose been in a dangerous situation will tell you that you can only count on about 30% of the people to fight; most will run!

Add to that the problems with how the Revolution has affected the DemiHumans and you end up with a potentially explosive situation in Akiba; if they are doing combat training it means that they're not just simple monsters anymore; they can now think tactically in response to the actions of the Adventurers.

All I saying is that in military terms if you can make a fire you can make a crude bomb; if you can make a hammer you can make a cannon!

Last edited by Naole; 2014-02-06 at 18:12.
Old 2014-02-06, 18:19   Link #2035
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
if you can make a fire you can make a crude bomb; if you can make a hammer you can make a cannon!
which idiot are you quoting?
Old 2014-02-06, 18:24   Link #2036
ArmaniWeston

Quote:
I suspect that there is a significant technical requirement in the construction of these barriers; perhaps even requiring special items.

But I especially like the part were Rigan says "and with the power of their faith, the 'Ancient' was born"

I only have a rough Idea about what's on vol 7; but if you take into account the secrets of the kunie and the speculated origins of the Ancients I suspect that the kunie still have that secret Knowledge.

This might explain why the genius regard the 'Ancient' as dolls if their very existence is an act of faith.

The akiba barrier is a serious issue that cannot be ignored; Anyone whose been in a dangerous situation will tell you that you can only count on about 30% of the people to fight; most will run!

Add to that the problems with how the Revolution has affected the DemiHumans and you end up with a potentially explosive situation in Akiba; if they are doing combat training it means that they're not just simple monsters anymore; they can now think tactically in response to the actions of the Adventurers.

All I saying is that in military terms if you can make a fire you can make a crude bomb; if you can make a hammer you can make a cannon!
*applauds* thanks for clearing up the possibility of restarting the Guard System early.
Old 2014-02-07, 00:03   Link #2037
Rendius

Quote:
This clearly shows that Landers (in particular the Kunie clan) have significant understanding of Alv magic and if you follow the logical path you have to conclude that the Kunie clan was part of the group that created the Magical infrastructure that initially summoned and now supports supports the presence of Adventurers in their world.
Playing devil's advocate, if I also were to cherry-pick Re-Gun quotes:

"The human, elf, and dwarf empires who destroyed the Alv gained many magical technologies, but they had not grown accustomed to them, so a war in the form of countless stalemates started."

"The World Fraction occurred, and the demihumans appeared... They did not exist until 300 hundred years ago."

"The people lived in fear and despair, praying for a miracle. This was a really dark period of the world, it had been 60 years since the defeat of the six scrapped princesses and the first World Fraction. Humanity fell into absolute despair, poverty, hunger, and fear. Almost everyone was trapped in armored communities or fortresses, living every day in fear of demihuman or monster attacks, some even thought it was only a matter of time before humanity went into extinction."

I could infer that they had limited understanding of the technology they stole from the Alv. Why would they bother with fortifications if they could erect barriers that can repel all demi-human attacks?

"All kinds of crises that hit Yamato were solved by the Adventurers. The world did not became peaceful, but it is now more stable, and is on the way of restoration."

I could then conclude that since adventurers solved most of their problems, knowledge of how to maintain ancient technology was not needed, and therefore lost in the 240 years since.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naole
Sorry, I don't mean to be rude, but I believe this to be a pleasant sophistry. I may be able to build a cannon if I knew how to build a hammer, but only if I also had knowledge of metallurgy and ballistics, two fields of science and engineering somewhat far removed from ancient craftsmanship.
Old 2014-02-07, 02:14   Link #2038
J4n1

I can make a hammer with a stick, a rock and some string, those do not a cannon make.
Fire can be made with 2 dry sticks, i'd love to see someone make those explode.
J4n1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-07, 02:44   Link #2039
Aggelos
The one whom passes by

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netto Azure View Post
Found it, thanks. I should look for more to add.
Well I could add a
"How are you planning to add the chosen fan submissions into series" question to
that list, if there isn't one there already.

Since the poll ends on the 10th of this month, I would like ask Mamare how is he
going to put everything together and would it be in a side story manga, a spin off novel or information on the log horizon novel site.

Unfortunately I am clueless at the moment as to the phrasing of the question.
I don't want it to sound rude or invasive to him.
Aggelos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-07, 04:56   Link #2040
Naole

Quote:
Playing devil's advocate, if I also were to cherry-pick Re-Gun quotes:

I could infer that they had limited understanding of the technology they stole from the Alv. Why would they bother with fortifications if they could erect barriers that can repel all demi-human attacks?

Sorry, I don't mean to be rude, but I believe this to be a pleasant sophistry. I may be able to build a cannon if I knew how to build a hammer, but only if I also had knowledge of metallurgy and ballistics, two fields of science and engineering somewhat far removed from ancient craftsmanship.
Basic principles; if you can refrain from restricting your thinking you can easily recognize that a cannon is just a projectile weapon in many ways not that different from a catapult.

Two fields of science and engineering? are kidding me? knowledge of metallurgy and ballistics? really now this is taking it a step too far!

Even a cursory reading of Historical Events will tell you that When the Cast Iron Cannon was invented there wasn't anything close to resembling the modern Engineer

(And I should know because I studied Mechanical Engineering at UCT)

That being said a simple catapult armed with a simple incendiary device can be described as an Artillery armed with an explosive warhead!

It all depends on whether one is able to think out of the box!

The landers being able to build the Barriers reveals that they have significant/Operational understanding of Alv tech. You can infer what you want from that but the fact that they built the stuff means they have an understanding of the technical requirements of the system.

The thing I'm pointing out about the DemiHumans is that from the descriptions they are a great deal smarter than Apes and apes have been shown to have the ability copy and adapt human behaviour through mimicry. In simple terms a change in the behaviour of Humans will induce a change in the behaviour of DemiHumans.

The extent of the evolutionary dynamic is by its very nature unpredictable.

Last edited by Naole; 2014-02-07 at 05:17. Reason: one more thing

Tags
alternate reality, database, economics, political theory, spoilers