AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2006-10-17, 10:56   Link #41
Skane
Anime Snark

I think I must have missed the train of though in the earlier posts. Why are people comparing Bartender to Mushishi, and not ARIA?
Old 2006-10-17, 11:53   Link #42
Lilith
Your average fangirl

Ep 1
I immediately thought of a Yaoi manga called "A Sex Therapist" by Kazuma Kodaka which is about a bartender who heals his customers.

Despite my absolute hate for alcohol inreality, I decided to give this series a chance (especially since Ryuu is a bishounen ).

I liked the definition of "Bartender". It never crossed my mind that it actually means something. Also, I liked that glass of Edenhall. It's just so pretty. <3

I loved the atmosphere, BGM, character design and using real images (for glasses, wood, etc.). The ending song was average, but the sequence was beautiful. The fishes, the glasses and making the "drink of the day", hehe.

I dislike "episodic" series in which every episode has a different tale, so I hope there will be a story and plot or something. I can feel the high quality of this anime, it'll be a shame to quit watching it.
Old 2006-10-17, 18:50   Link #43
SilentBob
I like corm

At least the first episode left me wanting for more. I've always been a fan of drama/slice of life stuff, so I'll be watching this as it goes on.
SilentBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-17, 21:43   Link #44
wilsonx81

I just watched the first ep, I liked the opening, and I really liked the anime, at the end I wanted to go back to try mixing cocktails XD
wilsonx81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-17, 21:44   Link #45
Srin Tuar
無謀

Quote:
Originally Posted by Li Jianliang View Post
Spoiler:

Spoiler:
Srin Tuar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-17, 23:06   Link #46
justinstrife

Send a message via AIM to justinstrife
Saw the first episode. It's definetly soothing. And maybe it's because i'm in my mid/late twenties, I already knew about the meaning behind the word bartender.

Will continue to watch for the slice of life and slow pace(as well as character growth I expect to see).
Old 2006-10-18, 09:18   Link #47
ZeusIrae
Loyal Haruhist.

nice......I like it,I love the animation.
And waht's the voice at the beginning,just after the OP.It's a really nice voice,I won't to hear it more often.
Old 2006-10-18, 10:09   Link #48
Lost

I find the subtitles quite obtrusive, the way they cover half of the screen. On a more positive note, the effort they put doing notes for each drink name is impressive.

I liked very much Ryuu's explanation of the Bar being a "hideout" and hence, that need for the heavy door. Basically took the Chief's concept and turned it inside out; theres a bit of intellect here yet. (Its scary but I think I'm going gay for Ryuu )

Okay, way of story telling here is very unique, but one has gotten used to it, and basically has no qualms about it for this episode, and for it being used in the rest of the episodes, if they deliver a good story, which they did here. Of course, nothing complicated or emotionally spectacular about this story (tho I felt touched that Ryuu's consideration for Chief, truly, God's Gass) but does a story need to be that complicated to be good? enjoyable? refreshing?

The theme of this episode was really: Redefinition.

In everything else, Animation, Music, OP, ED, Choice of using real photos; Bartender was spot-on, and for a first episode, I am very satisfied. Animation is just delightful, sorry I dont have the words to describe it.. clean and bright perhaps? especially the city scenes. I enjoyed the OP very much, and the ED; just wow.

This is a totally different type of show from what I'm used to, perhaps even the first of its kind for me personally, but I like it so far and I am looking forward to the rest of the series.

Last edited by Lost; 2006-10-18 at 10:47.
Lost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-18, 11:29   Link #49
Quajafrie
Not here anymore!

That was really something. The first episode of Bartender exceeded my expectations.

Visually, it's nothing really impressive, but it's so delightful to watch. The animation is minimal, but it doesn't matter at all. Everything is so clean and the character designs are pretty good. But what really stood out was the wonderful music score. It was great, and it was suitable. The OP and ED songs were very good as well, and everything seemed to be perfectly fine.

This isn't the kind of show that will make you want the next episode right away, it's one of these 'slow and soothing' shows that are always appreciated. Even if the story of a bartender is not the kind of story I thought I'd enjoy (In fact, I wasn't even planning to watch this show at all), I'll definitely continue watching this.
Quajafrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-18, 12:16   Link #50
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓

It may only be temporary, but I didn't think much of it. I'll be watching more of it to further judge if it's a show worthy enough in my books, but it paled IMO in comparison to Mushishi, if anyone's comparing it to that show. I loved that show; I dropped it because I had to cater to shows like NHK and H&C II, and my disk space wasn't really enormous. From what I've seen of that show, however, I think that was better than this.

I don't disagree with the opinions on the music, however; it is very well made and very well mixed into the story and the ambiance of the episode as well as the series.
physics223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-18, 14:32   Link #51
Nemo_N
Anime Leecher

It was just what I expected; nothing more, nothing less. Just a laid back show. Loved the atmosphere and the insight on the drinks.

I am just wondering what kind of stories are ahead...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost View Post
I find the subtitles quite obtrusive, the way they cover half of the screen.
Are you using Haali Splitter? If so, go to Media Splitter Settings (somewhere in All Programs or CCCP) then Options, Output, then SSA fontsize scale percentage and set it to 70 or less.
Nemo_N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-18, 18:41   Link #52
mit7059

I enjoyed it, but I hope it doesn't become too episodic, and I hope it goes deeper into Ryuu's story.

More of a manga reader now than an anime watcher. Currently reading list here
mit7059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-18, 23:03   Link #53
lordblazer
Radical Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Srin Tuar View Post
Spoiler:
Spoiler:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilith View Post
Ep 1
I immediately thought of a Yaoi manga called "A Sex Therapist" by Kazuma Kodaka which is about a bartender who heals his customers.

Despite my absolute hate for alcohol inreality, I decided to give this series a chance (especially since Ryuu is a bishounen ).

I liked the definition of "Bartender". It never crossed my mind that it actually means something. Also, I liked that glass of Edenhall. It's just so pretty. <3

I loved the atmosphere, BGM, character design and using real images (for glasses, wood, etc.). The ending song was average, but the sequence was beautiful. The fishes, the glasses and making the "drink of the day", hehe.

I dislike "episodic" series in which every episode has a different tale, so I hope there will be a story and plot or something. I can feel the high quality of this anime, it'll be a shame to quit watching it.
Lol this may not be the naime for you. It seems very episodic, and I like it. Because it'll potray tales of different people. Different customers. YOu know. Each one has their own story. This series would work out perfectly if its episodic.

Last edited by lordblazer; 2006-10-18 at 23:14.
lordblazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-18, 23:16   Link #54
liehcas
glasses get in the way

I was dissapointed in the animation, a lot of stills and cg. I guess you can argue it fits with the mood, but I think they just half-assed it.
liehcas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-18, 23:42   Link #55
lordblazer
Radical Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by liehcas View Post
I was dissapointed in the animation, a lot of stills and cg. I guess you can argue it fits with the mood, but I think they just half-assed it.
lol I'm never picky with the animation. Depending ont he type of anime. Sure if it was an action like Bleach. I want to be awed with freaking awesome animation, but when it comes to something like this anime. I wanna be awed by the atmosphere, and story.
lordblazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-19, 00:17   Link #56
Kikaifan
Blazing General

I have to admit, I enjoyed this mostly because it takes what to me is a very trivial matter and attends to it not just seriously but with anime-levels of drama. Still, I enjoyed it.

Apparently someone failed to realize that 'tend' was a verb, though. Oh well... better than 'I can be shot.'
Old 2006-10-19, 00:21   Link #57
aikming

wasnt as bad as people said, the knowledge on the liquor & cocktail sure captivate my interest.
Old 2006-10-19, 05:44   Link #58
Dop
Mmmm....

I really enjoyed it.

Maybe enjoyed is the wrong word? I liked it anyway, and I'd certainly want to watch more. Ryuu shows Holmesian powers of deduction as he explains the choice of drink, and I'm sold on the whole idea.

I mean. they show you cocktail recipes, and the live action segment at the end even shows you how to mix it! Brilliant!

Although, mind you, a Bartender drinking game would be a bit of a killer!

Last edited by Dop; 2006-10-19 at 13:12.
Dop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-19, 06:54   Link #59
TougeSil80
I have enough, I'm gone.

It's a pretty cool show, I enjoyed it so far. I don't mind it being episodic, because it's only going to be 11 eps. The live action drink mixing is very cool, I didn't know you can stack like this. Now it makes me want to go to a bar.
TougeSil80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-19, 07:07   Link #60
Clarste
Human

Ironically, the contrast between "barkeep" and "bartender" is so much more meaningful with the proper etymologies. Well, I don't think they were literally saying barkeep in Japanese anyway... (well, their meanings overlap in the middle, but ignoring that)

I liked the stage-play like presentation, but I'm not sure the content of this play interested me very much. I'll probably keep watching at least until we figure out who the heck that woman is and why she's worthy of narrating.
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote