AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series

Notices

Old 2020-12-22, 19:09   Link #101
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

I found the first episode's comedy to be really off, but I enjoyed it a lot afterward. The mahjong episode was amazing. So there's indeed that, at least.

Charlotte? I don't remember anything about that show other than the characters having relatively useless powers.

Even though it's older, I remember Angel Beats pretty well. I liked that one a lot, even if it shat the bed near the end.
Old 2020-12-26, 13:34   Link #102
stray
osananajimi hater

That was... a really fast 180 in the final episode but about what I expected; Maeda likes things bittersweet. Apparently loud noises and men aren't a problem once Hina goes home either. And Sora's movie has way too much CGI.

I don't think I could give this series more than a 5 but the humor was on point at times. A couple episodes had me rolling.
stray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-12-26, 18:34   Link #103
Alchemist007
*Author

I have to agree with that, it changed directions and only used the technology and its backstory as a crutch to get to this point, I feel like it would've made more sense to use a tragedy in the story itself (like a car accident or sudden onset disease) rather than...a quantum CPU. It just feels like a very strange way to tell the story. It was still enjoyable in parts, especially with how her friends treated her in the final ep.

6/10.
Old 2020-12-26, 19:25   Link #104
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

The final episode was even more terrible than I expected. The story as a whole was all around atrocious. I still gave this show a high score (6/10) because the comedy episodes were very enjoyable and it looked very pretty. If I had to judge the storyline alone it'd be a 2/10. By far Maeda's worst work.
Old 2020-12-26, 20:14   Link #105
grecefar

this didn't live up the hype, it was maeda who said this was going to be his most tearjerker job?, I saw from chapter 8 to the ending and I was bashing my head because of youta, my god I wanted to kill him with his stay in the facility I can't believe he was so stupid...

anyway the only chapter that hit me was the izanami one and didn't win in the end.

I'm so disappointed...
grecefar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-12-26, 20:52   Link #106
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
I think Jun Maeda should stop trying to write plot and just have a series with just SoL/Comedy with the occasional wholesome moment like with Izanami's episode. Would be better than having the last 25% be nonsense.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-12-26, 21:23   Link #107
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Please save me. I'm only half way through the last episode and I feel like running away really fast.

--

Okay, managed to survive.

Spoiler for final thoughts:

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)

Last edited by serenade_beta; 2020-12-26 at 21:49.
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-12-27, 12:14   Link #108
Blueknight78

ok i will be the "unpopular" opnion, for me it was really the best maeda show, i really can't see it as "rushed" really don't understand why peoples are calling it "rushed" for me the pace was pretty neaty, i feel which it was about "expectations peoples where expectating a "crazy show" with supernatural and crazy plot twists, then he just tried to bring "something most realistic as he can", no super powers, no action, just comedy, slice of life and some drama, the vilians not were the super evil clich villians, they feel more in the "ground" than many series, because they at last don't threated the girl as something expendable and really make sure she survived and really only get what they wanted which was the chip.

my only complains where hina's father, how uter unatached he was, it feel over the top, she is your daughter and even she was a sucessfull experiment from his father noway he could not get at last a minimum interest on her as a doctor if not as a father, yeahks japanse family must really be a lot disfunctional to have so many animes with parents with horrible parent skills and terrible selfishs it's really make sense why birthrates are so low and marriage interest is so short, with peoples so selfish and emotionless and only "works matter", they prefer to devote they full life for work and die for that than actually "remember they have family",

another complain is about hina and yota, the "romance part" and how his love for his childhood friend was crushed and now the mc become a "lolicon", it was a lot forced, part of the premise was help the mc to have his childhood friend love but it was dropped so fast, but at same time can be understandable because again in real life not aways things are so simple, as we saw yota never really knows the girl as he believed and he needed hina help to really understood and know her, which again looked more realistic than many harem or roncom comedy where the "childhood friend" is in love from the start in a cheap way and the mc don't need any efforts to wins over her ir barelly minimum efforts.

about the peoples complain about the mc being stupid, well again he is a "kid" remember???, peoples are so used to have full smarth adult kids mcs, which when you have a "normal dumb kid" they get angry, while i can understand the anger and myself get angered many times (well most of then for me are for a different reason like the mc being a whimp and coward when comes to romance but it's another story) you still must remember which he is a kid and he is not a smart and mature adult and even "smart and mature adults" can make mistakes" then he being like that make sense specially when the author is trying to make something "realistic" and not just going anime/manga cliches, which "adult kids mcs" which are awesome for some stuffs like action and protect but are horrible with romance, here the mc is just a kid trying to take hard and complicated decisions even for adults in some cases.

well i will give it a 8.5/10 for is even better than angel bits.
Old 2020-12-27, 15:41   Link #109
BWTraveller
Born to ship

Hearing all this I'm honestly glad I stopped watching early on. In truth the one thing that I was actually interested in was the potential for a childhood friend ship, but straight from the start not only did they have her reject him flat but the way they set it up it really didn't look like he actually knew Izanami at all. He didn't even know about her interests or long-time aspirations. I'm reluctant to watch a show where a childhood friend isn't going to take interest in the boy who clearly likes her, but if the boy likes her without seeming to have ever cared enough to really get to know her I'm out. Sounds like my distaste for that one aspect of the plot saved me from a lot of added bull later on.

Frankly, I kind of get the feeling Maeda's being a bit too "out there" with his plots. He's more than demonstrated in the past that that he's capable of writing moving stories and backgrounds, but he throws too much extra in on top of that. It's sort of like one of the (very many) problems with the anime Conception. In that anime the authors had tons of girls that had to have their stories developed and their relationships with the hero build up with nowhere near enough air time to present all of them, so in an attempt to get something for each of them they wound up with nowhere near enough for any of them. Similarly here, by adding a convoluted plot and complex sources of conflict, there ended up not enough time to really flesh things out and make it really grab at the audience. Somehow I get the impression that if he just did a simple, non-sci-fi story with one or two deep emotional aspects played out over the whole of twelve episodes without clutter distracting from it, we could have something great. Hopefully he'll come up with something better next time.
BWTraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-12-27, 19:26   Link #110
stray
osananajimi hater

Maeda has always been out there with his plots though. I think he desperately needs to get away from his nakige formula because it -- aside from being kind of stale -- doesn't lend itself to something complicated like a special needs loli.
Old 2020-12-27, 20:29   Link #111
Wandering Soul

Comments here are making me glad I dropped this a couple of episodes ago.
Old 2020-12-27, 22:50   Link #112
BWTraveller
Born to ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by stray View Post
Maeda has always been out there with his plots though. I think he desperately needs to get away from his nakige formula because it -- aside from being kind of stale -- doesn't lend itself to something complicated like a special needs loli.
I don't think he needs to drop the nakige (frankly I'd prefer he keep that part, as I think he has a knack for pulling the heart strings). But he does need to choose between the options: either a fairly simple storyline that can easily take a back seat to the characters' situations and struggles to overcome their demons, or simpler characters who don't have so many demons to fight and relations to fix in the middle of a big complex plot.

I remember a manga art book I got a long time ago talked about the arts of Addition and Subtraction, Addition being the task of coming up with cool things to add to an image or character to expand it and create new levels, Subtraction choosing things to remove to make those aspects left in shine brighter. Maeda is great at addition, but he really needs to work on his subtraction.
Old 2020-12-27, 23:16   Link #113
Alchemist007
*Author

While I don't agree with the way the plot was handled, I don't regret watching it.

Last edited by Alchemist007; 2020-12-28 at 07:42.
Alchemist007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-12-28, 00:32   Link #114
stray
osananajimi hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWTraveller View Post
I don't think he needs to drop the nakige (frankly I'd prefer he keep that part, as I think he has a knack for pulling the heart strings). But he does need to choose between the options: either a fairly simple storyline that can easily take a back seat to the characters' situations and struggles to overcome their demons, or simpler characters who don't have so many demons to fight and relations to fix in the middle of a big complex plot.
His characters have never really had much depth, honestly. But nakige is a very specific formula, and he could theoretically write tearjerkers that don't adhere to that formula... maybe. Probably not, honestly, but one can hope. I'd actually kind of enjoy a straight SoL from him, TBH.
Old 2020-12-30, 12:42   Link #115
kk2extreme
Your wife is hot...

I was so convinced that Hina was dead during the movie viewing.

...Thank god that she was only sleeping
kk2extreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-12-30, 19:38   Link #116
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

I thought she had died too. At least the show wasn't THIS cheap.
Old 2021-01-05, 20:57   Link #117
BWTraveller
Born to ship

Quote:
His characters have never really had much depth, honestly. But nakige is a very specific formula, and he could theoretically write tearjerkers that don't adhere to that formula... maybe. Probably not, honestly, but one can hope. I'd actually kind of enjoy a straight SoL from him, TBH.
Honestly I like his characters and their backstories. I just wish he'd take more time to make them mean more. For instance, I really love Hinata and Yui from Angel Beats, but it always felt like they kind of rushed things there, especially in terms of the relationship. The proposal scene still makes me tear up, but so much else was going on that I didn't really get a feel for the relationship between the two before that, and I didn't really get that clear a picture of their personal struggles. If there'd been less going on and they just took their time telling their story and expanding on how their individual traumas shaped them and how they work against each other, I'd have loved it even more. Heck, I'd be willing to watch a show entirely about the pair. And that's how things seem to go in his works: he throws too much material into the story and doesn't give enough time to make all that material develop and shine, so it ends up far less impressive than it could be.
Old 2021-01-06, 00:00   Link #118
stray
osananajimi hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWTraveller View Post
If there'd been less going on and they just took their time telling their story and expanding on how their individual traumas shaped them and how they work against each other, I'd have loved it even more. Heck, I'd be willing to watch a show entirely about the pair. And that's how things seem to go in his works: he throws too much material into the story and doesn't give enough time to make all that material develop and shine, so it ends up far less impressive than it could be.
I actually don't remember Angel Beats that well but again, he's constrained by formula. Nakige is pretty rigid, and is all about the slice of life intro arc, until the leads recognize their feelings, then a tearful separation and finally a joyful (or maybe bittersweet) reunion. Its not about telling a story that flows naturally, and it felt incredibly forced and kind of inappropriate with Hina and Yota.
Old 2021-01-06, 00:19   Link #119
BWTraveller
Born to ship

Quote:
I actually don't remember Angel Beats that well but again, he's constrained by formula. Nakige is pretty rigid, and is all about the slice of life intro arc, until the leads recognize their feelings, then a tearful separation and finally a joyful (or maybe bittersweet) reunion. Its not about telling a story that flows naturally, and it felt incredibly forced and kind of inappropriate with Hina and Yota.
You clearly don't remember it, as Angel Beats most certainly didn't feel like that. And I still don't get why you keep saying he's constrained by formula as if that means he can't change things up. There's nothing holding him down and forcing him to follow the specific steps in that specific order with no changes. I'm just saying that I feel like if he tweaked things here and there he might have stories that bring more depth and meaning to characters and their stories, and that honestly even just one pair out of a large cast of characters would be a delight to watch. Again, it's not so much about formulas, which are only constraining if one chooses to follow them, but rather about the matter of addition versus subtraction. I don't know if anything could have saved this one, as I've already admitted I dropped it pretty early on. I'm just saying that the creator in general could potentially produce some really moving works if he just practiced a little more subtraction, a little more focus.
Old 2021-01-06, 09:03   Link #120
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat

For me it was an error to shift from the fantastic to the mundane, the portray of a traumatized child warming up to someone didn't ring true at all and our protagonist kept doing stupid things at the end. Hina should have been left with the professional health care personnel, that at least would have been realistic. She could have returned as a rehabilitated years later or maybe they should have simply gone with a end of the world scenario that Hina averts with her godly powers.
mangamuscle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comedy, drama