AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Tate no Yuusha/Shield Hero

Notices

View Poll Results: Tate no Yuusha/Shield Hero - Episode 9 Rating
Perfect 10 2 12.50%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 5 31.25%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 3 18.75%
7 out of 10 : Good 6 37.50%
6 out of 10 : Average 0 0%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2019-03-06, 19:38   Link #21
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Wing View Post
I admit I got a little worried when they made it look like Filo ate the princess...
I didn't since I figured Filo would have eaten and digested her clothes too
I did wonder what the hell happened though. Incidentally, Melty is pretty eccentric, just sleeping naked inside a bird's feathers. Naofumi noted her feathers may induce sleep, I guess that will prove to be useful later down the line.
Old 2019-03-06, 19:59   Link #22
BWTraveller
Born to ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magewolf View Post
Actually this episode brings up something I have thought of for a while. It seems like the heroes were chosen for their natures. Spear is all straight forward, full out offense. Sword is more balanced offense. Bow is calculating and fast moving.

The Shield hero however seems to have a bit of a problem. On the one hand you would think that the Shield would need to be protective , resilient, and enduring. To fulfill his job as defense and support. However someone like that would never get the curse shield. They actually needed someone with the potential for those qualities while having the emotional fortitude of a wet paper sack. So they would crumble in the most nihilistic teenage way possible but not break completely. That would make picking a Shield hero out a lot more trouble.
Having read the beginning part of the novel, there's other aspects that they may have been selected for that are also significant:
Spoiler for LN:
Old 2019-03-06, 21:37   Link #23
Frontier

Naofumi is such a dad. And I think Raphtalia's trying her utmost to be "team mom," especially if as a byproduct she comes off as Naofumi's wife .

The scene where they thought Filo ate Melty was hilarious, especially when Naofumi instantly decided to hide the evidence instead of worry about the girl .

Naofumi better be careful that nobody catches him with a naked little girl. He's been lucky it's only happened around Raphtalia .

So the kingdom is so negative towards the Shield hero that even their architecture referencing the heroes deliberately snubs him. Although the pope honestly seems on the up-and-up and willing to be fair to the Shield Hero, but you can never be too sure about people in positions of power on this show .

Man, poor Naofumi. Just a single guard running after him is enough to make him think he's going to get arrested or something worse .

Motoyasu's type is pretty ironic considering Myne is the woman he interacts with the most and she's, like, the complete opposite of the "little angel" archetype. And what the heck is the rest of his party doing whenever Motoyasu and Myne are getting on with their antics ?

As soon as I realized Motoyasu had no idea who Filo really was, I kept waiting for the moment he found out. And I was not disappointed. Bonus points for Filo kicking him through his crotch armor .

Melty seems like everything her older sister isn't, calm, compassionate, genuinely kind, and seems truly concerned for the kingdom. She even gets along with animals, which is, like, the most classic princess trait of all time. Is it really any surprise that she's the presumptive heir over her sister ?

I loved Melty taking Motoyasu and Myne to task for how stupid they were acting. It's nice to see someone in a position of authority outside the queen's ninja's treat these two like they deserve and not take any of their @$%&. The only thing better would be if Melty got to call out her father for going along with what Malty has been doing .

I think Melty is completely genuine and not at all like her sister, but I guess I can't fault Naofumi for quickly dismissing her considering what he went through from her sister and father, even if none of that is really her fault. I guess it doesn't help that she hid she was a princess from him, but if he had known that ahead of time he probably would never have taken her to the capital to begin with .
Old 2019-03-07, 10:39   Link #24
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWTraveller View Post
Exactly. Her sister acted nice and even admiring and then stripped him bare and destroyed him to the very core. He's still struggling with trust issues, so it only figures that the sister of that witch would be met with extreme suspicion.

And yeah, Filo kind of reminds me of that northern white-faced owl from YouTube and Sound of the Sky: about 90% feather and 10% bird. Not to mention that she's just about the most literal OMNIVORE I've seen.
No Melty is acting differently from Myne. That's the problem. He can't tell the difference even after going thru what a person who is acting truthfully versus manipulative will do. He has a problem with women in authority. They don't walk around with slave brands and so he can't trust them.

Melty saved his butt. He can listen and then graciously attempt to decline. However, Melty is prob the most able to throw him in jail if he declines so he wasn't thinking imo.

You don't talk to the second in command of a country like that and expect to walk around freely. He needs to have respect for females.
Old 2019-03-07, 11:20   Link #25
maximilianjenus
[E]

it's not about females, tho. he also dislikes the king.8
Old 2019-03-07, 11:21   Link #26
Dark Wing

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
No Melty is acting differently from Myne. That's the problem. He can't tell the difference even after going thru what a person who is acting truthfully versus manipulative will do. He has a problem with women in authority. They don't walk around with slave brands and so he can't trust them.

Melty saved his butt. He can listen and then graciously attempt to decline. However, Melty is prob the most able to throw him in jail if he declines so he wasn't thinking imo.

You don't talk to the second in command of a country like that and expect to walk around freely. He needs to have respect for females.
Naofumi has a problem with the royal family that has actively been trying to fuck him over since this all started. Both and the King and Myne have shown to be lying, two faced, backstabbing, scumbags. So from Naofumi's perspective Melty may have been leading him on this whole time and if she lied to him about who she really is what else is she hiding from him.

Now I'm not saying it's rational just to blow the girl off completely, but after his experiences with royalty in this world why wouldn't take pause and be suspicious of someone who presented themselves as one thing then pull the curtain back and try to act like it's not a big deal.

Last edited by Dark Wing; 2019-03-07 at 12:19.
Old 2019-03-07, 12:08   Link #27
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
So the kingdom is so negative towards the Shield hero that even their architecture referencing the heroes deliberately snubs him. Although the pope honestly seems on the up-and-up and willing to be fair to the Shield Hero, but you can never be too sure about people in positions of power on this show .
I'm pretty sure the Pope was the one who ordered the nun to bring in cheap holy water instead of the pure one he claimed he would give, hence her confusion when he chastised her for it after Naofumi called them out on it.
Old 2019-03-07, 15:29   Link #28
Twi

And remember, he was preceding over the match between Spear and Shield the first time.

As for him telling the younger princess to get lost, because they toned down a lot of Naofumi's character introspection and inner thoughts, you just don't get the raw distrust he has at the moment. But in general he just doesn't trust anyone from the royal family. Sure she saved him from having to deal with Spear a third time, but you know who else helped him out at first and then screwed him over?

Her sister.

It's just not worth the risk.

On a side note: That look on Naofumi's face when Motoyatsu was confirmed a lolicon. Priceless.
Old 2019-03-07, 16:17   Link #29
BWTraveller
Born to ship

Quote:

Enough of that nonsense. As others have noted he does NOT have a "problem" with "women in authority". He has a PROBLEM with the woman he trusted who stole everything from him and left him effectively naked and alone, as well as her father who helped and supported her through it, and he finds it difficult to believe in anyone who shares her blood. And just how is Melty acting different from Mein at the start? She may not be sucking up to him as much but she's certainly not doing anything that would give him reason to consider her trustworthy. True she hasn't done anything to seem untrustworthy either, but given his scars and the blood that flows in her veins she seriously has her work cut out for her.

I'd say it also bears mentioning that there's only been ONE woman portrayed as villainous to this point, while we have two additional women in authority who appear to be quite rational and potentially inclined to ally themselves with him. There seems to be much less misogyny in this series than people want to believe.
Old 2019-03-07, 16:57   Link #30
Kinematics
Let's play a game!

Quote:
Enough of that nonsense. As others have noted he does NOT have a "problem" with "women in authority". He has a PROBLEM with the woman he trusted who stole everything from him and left him effectively naked and alone, as well as her father who helped and supported her through it, and he finds it difficult to believe in anyone who shares her blood. And just how is Melty acting different from Mein at the start? She may not be sucking up to him as much but she's certainly not doing anything that would give him reason to consider her trustworthy. True she hasn't done anything to seem untrustworthy either, but given his scars and the blood that flows in her veins she seriously has her work cut out for her.

I'd say it also bears mentioning that there's only been ONE woman portrayed as villainous to this point, while we have two additional women in authority who appear to be quite rational and potentially inclined to ally themselves with him. There seems to be much less misogyny in this series than people want to believe.
Rather than saying Naofumi has a problem with Melty because she's related to Mein and her father is also not quite correct. Rather, it's not just the relation, but the association. He has a similar reaction to others related to the royal family, such as the young guard that was chasing him.

The young boy was clearly not intending harm when chasing Naofumi, though we mostly know that because we say him in the Wave 2 fight, and the boy's looks of adoration towards Naofumi and Raphtalia's actions. Naofumi, on the other hand, only knows that it's one of the royal guards that's trying to get ahold of him, and just runs.

In addition, Naofumi didn't fully reject Melty at first, after she identified herself as Mein's sister. He was still willing to talk to her after that, in the blacksmith's shop. It was only after she identified herself as first in line to the throne that he fully rejected anything else she was asking for.

So it's not merely being Mein's sister that matters, but that she's part of the royal power structure that really tips things over the edge.
Old 2019-03-07, 17:04   Link #31
BWTraveller
Born to ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinematics View Post
In addition, Naofumi didn't fully reject Melty at first, after she identified herself as Mein's sister. He was still willing to talk to her after that, in the blacksmith's shop. It was only after she identified herself as first in line to the throne that he fully rejected anything else she was asking for.

So it's not merely being Mein's sister that matters, but that she's part of the royal power structure that really tips things over the edge.
Seemed to me more like it was when she started wanting something from him that he rejected her. He took her somewhere private to hear her out as to who and what she is, to get information, but never intended to go any further than that. Once he'd heard enough to have a fair idea of the situation he cut her off before she could discuss what she wanted to discuss.
Old 2019-03-07, 21:43   Link #32
Kinematics
Let's play a game!

Oh, interface thing I missed on the first watch through: Raphtalia and Filo have both hit level 40, presumably as a result of the cleanup work they did around the town with the dragon. The dragon itself didn't level them up, but they managed OK afterward.

Hrmm. That yellow bar for each character in the HUD, was that supposed to be HP or progress to next level? I remember that the full numeric display uses orange/yellow for XP to next level, and I thought that HP was in red.

That would make more sense. In the previous episode, as they were talking around the bed at the end, I was thinking that their HP values were all rather low, with Raphtalia at maybe 1/4 of her max health. But since the bars are yellow while they stand around idle, I should have realized that those were XP progress bars.

So, end of Ep 8 to middle of Ep 9:

Naofumi: 37.4 ⇒ 38.99
Raphtalia: 39.25 ⇒ 40.6
Filo: 38.55 ⇒ 40.?? (No Signal)

Filo has almost caught up with Raphtalia. Maybe half a level behind, at most.

Grr.. I really wish they'd translate the notifications in the bottom left of the screen. There's always little tidbits in there that are helpful in gaining context on recent things Naofumi has done.

When Naofumi is holding the high quality holy water, the most recent shield skill came from the Blue Egg Shield (ブルーエッゲーシールド). Something to do with eyes, and level 1, so presumably Appraisal level 1.
Old 2019-03-08, 03:20   Link #33
Lex79

Quote:
Seemed to me more like it was when she started wanting something from him that he rejected her. He took her somewhere private to hear her out as to who and what she is, to get information, but never intended to go any further than that. Once he'd heard enough to have a fair idea of the situation he cut her off before she could discuss what she wanted to discuss.
That's an interesting consideration. No matter how good and trustworty Melty might prove to be, I think it's a fair assumption that the last thing Naofumi wants is to be involved in matters regarding the royal family, and this is likely what she would have asked his help for.
Old 2019-03-08, 03:48   Link #34
The Green One

Well the last thing Melty said before Naofumi cut her off was among the lines of, "I didn't know you were the Shield Hero but perhaps you can be an opportunity for me."

The wording itself is suspect and implies something Nafoumi want's no part of, knowing her Royal Birth. Small wonder his reaction was NOPE!

And I really shouldn't have to explain it but none of what I said was intended to be sexual.
Old 2019-03-08, 13:07   Link #35
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
I'd say Naofumi just has problems with people in general. If he can't slap a slave brand on them they aren't trustworthy so he is antagonistic in order to keep relations openly hostile or at the very least only on a financial level. Still a long road for him to develop out of the pit his character has fallen into. The rise of the shield hero is a long road in that respect.
Old 2019-03-08, 16:11   Link #36
PGilis
B-Gamer and anime otaku

Send a message via Yahoo to PGilis
Quote:

Not only in regards of authority. At this point of the series (episode 9), aside the 4 holy heroes themselves, the strongest fighters we saw in the anime are all WOMEN - Firo, Rapthalia and that old lady mage.

Even that ninja spies looks to be an all female crew, and it seems they have authority and competence even MALTY is forced to respect.
Old 2019-03-09, 11:10   Link #37
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Wing View Post
Naofumi has a problem with the royal family that has actively been trying to fuck him over since this all started. Both and the King and Myne have shown to be lying, two faced, backstabbing, scumbags. So from Naofumi's perspective Melty may have been leading him on this whole time and if she lied to him about who she really is what else is she hiding from him.

Now I'm not saying it's rational just to blow the girl off completely, but after his experiences with royalty in this world why wouldn't take pause and be suspicious of someone who presented themselves as one thing then pull the curtain back and try to act like it's not a big deal.
But you wouldn't just blow her off either given her position. (That kid is more powerful than the king. She has had more training than Myne and it shows in how she handled the previous situation.) That's why I say there's a lack of respect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGilis View Post
Not only in regards of authority. At this point of the series (episode 9), aside the 4 holy heroes themselves, the strongest fighters we saw in the anime are all WOMEN - Firo, Rapthalia and that old lady mage.

Even that ninja spies looks to be an all female crew, and it seems they have authority and competence even MALTY is forced to respect.
The ninja was representing the Queen (real head of the kingdom) and Naofumi never had any dealings with her. The ninja herself does not have any real power.

Firo and Raph are his servants - got that slave brand in place so they can't betray him. The mage is a shopkeeper. If she wants business, she has to deal honesty. So Melty is the first female authority figure after Myne that really don't have to give him the time of day unless she wants to. The power scale is tipped in her favor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Green One View Post
Well the last thing Melty said before Naofumi cut her off was among the lines of, "I didn't know you were the Shield Hero but perhaps you can be an opportunity for me."

The wording itself is suspect and implies something Nafoumi want's no part of, knowing her Royal Birth. Small wonder his reaction was NOPE!

And I really shouldn't have to explain it but none of what I said was intended to be sexual.
The official translation has the lines as...

I had no idea you were the Shield Hero.
But this might be perfect.
I...

meaning she was going to ask him a favor anyways even if he wasn't the Shield Hero.

Last edited by orion; 2019-03-09 at 11:32.
Old 2019-03-14, 06:22   Link #38
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

Quote:
I...

meaning she was going to ask him a favor anyways even if he wasn't the Shield Hero.
All of this requires you to assume she isn't lying to get on his good side. Which for Naofumi, is a very dangerous assumption to make. Because people have lied to get on his good side before. Actually, not only his, but the other heroes as well. The only reason Naofumi was able to look past the lies is because the lies were about him.
Old 2019-04-04, 05:54   Link #39
justinstrife

Send a message via AIM to justinstrife
Quote:
But you wouldn't just blow her off either given her position. (That kid is more powerful than the king. She has had more training than Myne and it shows in how she handled the previous situation.) That's why I say there's a lack of respect.

The ninja was representing the Queen (real head of the kingdom) and Naofumi never had any dealings with her. The ninja herself does not have any real power.

Firo and Raph are his servants - got that slave brand in place so they can't betray him. The mage is a shopkeeper. If she wants business, she has to deal honesty. So Melty is the first female authority figure after Myne that really don't have to give him the time of day unless she wants to. The power scale is tipped in her favor.

The official translation has the lines as...

I...

Too much of your opinion on this, is that of a reader or viewer who sees things the character in the story cannot.