AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > GATE

Notices

View Poll Results: GATE - Episode 19 Rating
Perfect 10 3 17.65%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 7 41.18%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 5 29.41%
7 out of 10 : Good 2 11.76%
6 out of 10 : Average 0 0%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2016-02-20, 21:00   Link #61
Magewolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWTraveller View Post
Whatever the case, I hope they find someone who's able to provide at least a little serious resistance. While I don't agree with statements I'd heard previously about this being all about how great the SDF is, it does get kind of boring to have an army that is absolutely unrivaled, an army that never has to worry because they know no one can do more than maybe one or two casualties, and even those not fatal.
The last thing the author wanted was for the SDF to fight a real opponent. The series is intended to demonstrate how good and moral the SDF is and to show off all the fun weapons on live targets. It mostly comes off like a bunch of collage students beating the crap out of a class of kindergartners to me.
Old 2016-02-20, 21:02   Link #62
rickadams
Yggdrasil DJ

Aha! Got it at last!

Aha! This episode had enough context for me to figure out most of the Empire's alphabet. (This sort of thing is a little hobby of mine...)
Old 2016-02-20, 21:27   Link #63
Top Sergeant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Coa View Post

Firstly mages are rare, they are born like one. Meaning that you cannot train one unlike us who can train as much soldiers as we want and built as much machines as we can. Not to mention that you need years to properly train one, unlike soldier and building a tank.
Rare?

We just saw a whole freakin' city full of them.

I'll grant they are uncommon,

Oh and I really liked that little homage to Misaki from Railgun when Arpeggio shot the coin at Leilei.

Last edited by Top Sergeant; 2016-02-20 at 21:44.
Old 2016-02-20, 22:14   Link #64
eisai_haramasukoi

Poor Arpeggio. Her research is costing her too much. Give her some physics book or something.

And Zorzal's ego is clouding his judgment. Piņa should do something or else she and the entire world of GATE might learn this saying the hard way: No empire lasts forever.
Old 2016-02-20, 23:07   Link #65
rladls2121

I wonder if Zorzal is also planning to make his soldiers many suicidal attack, some kind of a man bomb maybe, considering his character?
Old 2016-02-20, 23:12   Link #66
Harbinger
Squirrel Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by rladls2121 View Post
I wonder if Zorzal is also planning to make his soldiers many suicidal attack, some kind of a man bomb maybe, considering his character?
He's willing to kill his own citizens to do false-flag operations. It wouldn't surprise me if he ordered his men to die.
Old 2016-02-21, 00:36   Link #67
Faux Mecha
robot looks impractical

so with the fight between the two magical girl sisters, it is revealed Rory the referee is using the Dragon Ball Z rule book for their fight, screw somebody's house or the entire city itself, the battles were kickass!!.
Old 2016-02-21, 01:01   Link #68
ReddyRedWolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Global Sword 2 View Post
so with the fight between the two magical girl sisters, it is revealed Rory the referee is using the Dragon Ball Z rule book for their fight, screw somebody's house or the entire city itself, the battles were kickass!!.
She is a demigod under the god of war it is weird she said they can't really harm each other but they can destroy the world.

Mages here make me feel they are low level Sparks and giving them SCIENCE! may be a bad idea.
Old 2016-02-21, 01:25   Link #69
rladls2121

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReddyRedWolf View Post
She is a demigod under the god of war it is weird she said they can't really harm each other but they can destroy the world.
And they left a sorry note with some fruits in the basket on someone's demolished house because of some sibling affairs.
I wonder how the family feels knowing someone who is going to be a master, and her big sister and a Demigoddess's explaining the rules and narrration for this battle proceeded seemingly by her authority even though it is not Rory directly at fault?
Rory, what is her opinion of this kind of damage?
Old 2016-02-21, 01:38   Link #70
Yan3242

Quote:
and they left a sorry note with some fruits in the basket on someone's demolished house because of some sibling affairs.
well its city of mages, there must a mage that can cast a spell to "undo" the damage right? even its nothing like that, iam sure using telekinetic spell or levitate spell to make heavy = light would make stuff like building home is like playing lego

and for post above that ask about magic damaging the dragon, yeah i was wrong, guess i remember it wrongly time to rewatch the 1st season again i guess ugh.
Old 2016-02-21, 01:57   Link #71
BWTraveller
Born to ship

Considering the nature of the town, I suspect absolute annihilation of your house is kind of par for the course. There are probably people in the city who're kind of accustomed to rebuilding their house or having some mages come in and take care of the task for them.

Also concerning the "rarity" of mages, I do take it that they're rather uncommon, and the majority of them are bookworms who spend most of their time in the academy city. Seems that magic involves massive lifelong study, so yeah what we have is one large university that provides all the mages we know of, and many of them don't bother leaving to take part in either side.
Old 2016-02-21, 03:51   Link #72
rladls2121

Somehow Rory reminds me of Beerus from Dragon Ball Super.

The difference between their power doesn't matter.
Normal men definitely not want to involve these kinds of beings.
My opinions of how Rory is scary have not changed.
And Beerus's actions are more unpredictable.

Because of Rory's presence, I think the house destruction is unavoidable.
It was Rory who said it was all right to break things so everyone there cannot complain.
I wonder if it surprising if someone is against Rory's rules about the battle?

It is no wonder Itami doesn't want to lay a hand on Rory.
Old 2016-02-21, 04:00   Link #73
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skaddix View Post
I dont think the rate of fire is especially important its about the amount of damage a single spell can do which varies greatly per franchise. But yeah these Mages dont seem to be especially powerful at combat.
Rate of fire is largely synonymous with speed of attack, especially when what is limiting the rate of fire is preparation for each attack, as would be the case with a magic spell. Speed of attack isn't just "especially important" in battle, in most cases it's the most important aspect of any means of attack. It doesn't matter much if a mage soldier on the battlefield can cast a spell that nukes a tank every 2 minutes, if it takes a sniper 3 seconds to blow his head off or it takes an infantryman 30 seconds to mow down the team of shieldmen protecting him.

That's why in most cases in literature, magic is either only used against medieval type foes, has an effectively instant casting time, or gets routinely trounced when used straight on against modern arms. As you said, guerilla warfare using magic is an option, but unless those magic shields hold up under a hail of bullet fire or the Empire can learn Tuka's insta-cast lightning magic, guerilla warfare is its only long-term option against the JSDF.
Old 2016-02-21, 07:32   Link #74
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

I don't know if it was a coincidence, on the day episode 19 aired, this incident happened.

Quote:
West Brom winger Chris Brunt says he is "disgusted" and "ashamed" after being struck on the face by a coin thrown by a Baggies supporter.
Old 2016-02-21, 08:50   Link #75
Yan3242

^
I dont see what it has to do with gate
Old 2016-02-21, 10:14   Link #76
Skaddix

Quote:
Originally Posted by quigonkenny View Post
Rate of fire is largely synonymous with speed of attack, especially when what is limiting the rate of fire is preparation for each attack, as would be the case with a magic spell. Speed of attack isn't just "especially important" in battle, in most cases it's the most important aspect of any means of attack. It doesn't matter much if a mage soldier on the battlefield can cast a spell that nukes a tank every 2 minutes, if it takes a sniper 3 seconds to blow his head off or it takes an infantryman 30 seconds to mow down the team of shieldmen protecting him.

That's why in most cases in literature, magic is either only used against medieval type foes, has an effectively instant casting time, or gets routinely trounced when used straight on against modern arms. As you said, guerilla warfare using magic is an option, but unless those magic shields hold up under a hail of bullet fire or the Empire can learn Tuka's insta-cast lightning magic, guerilla warfare is its only long-term option against the JSDF.
Yes but that assumes the Sniper can see the caster my point is it varies greatly per franchise. So if lets say you can skills equivalent to a nuke then your rate of fire wont matter they will all be dead. For Instance, I take the JSDF over Harry Potter every time that wasnt guerrilla style ambush (which actually would pay serious dividends considering they can mind control people and teleport). But would I take them over Ainz Ooal Gown probably not. But as I said its all about how broken the magic system once you get to stuff like time stop the balance of power changes pretty decisively in favor of magic.
Old 2016-02-21, 13:08   Link #77
Magewolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by quigonkenny View Post

I think you are overlooking some points. One, that guerrilla warfare is really all they need. Even the level of magic we have seen in the show would be enough to destroy the SDF ability to project force using anything but air power if applied correctly.

And that in general it all depends on the magic. For example most mid-level DnD groups could keep the SDF from ever being able to setup supply lines. They could also pick and choose their battles and disengage at will if they picked the wrong ones. A high level party could effectively port in and destroy the SDF base any time they wanted to. The only thing the SDF would have going for them would be the element of surprise and as soon as that wore off they would get slaughtered. Or taken captive to have all their knowledge drained out of their brains. Actually thinking about it more a medium to high level Necromancer could roll up the SDF all by himself.
Old 2016-02-21, 22:20   Link #78
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yan3242 View Post
^
I dont see what it has to do with gate
The coin toss to the face.
Old 2016-02-22, 00:06   Link #79
Brother Coa
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Sergeant View Post
Rare?

We just saw a whole freakin' city full of them.
One city for the entire planet, and even not entire population are mages.

Hell, we have more nukes than they have mages. Never mind everything else xD

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTerrorist View Post
I don't know if it was a coincidence, on the day episode 19 aired, this incident happened.
If anything else, I would say that would be reference to Certain Magical Index/Certain Scientific Railgun Mikasa.
Old 2016-02-22, 16:28   Link #80
TheRealWinston

Well that's another topic but that was the first episode what included a typical haremscene. Afais.

Either way, I still wonder how stupid Zorzal can be. But if he wants a war, let's have him his war...
Closed Thread