Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2007-03-13, 04:37   Link #581
Long_Dead
R.I.P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Herring
First for my opinion on this statement. I watched the first 7 DVDs of Yu Yu Hakusho because my brother bought them. Then I felt like puking. People say that it's nothing like Dragonball... EVERYONE says it's nothing like Dragonball, always the associate it with Dragonball, only this proves that it's like Dragonball. Then also I think that they are quite alike. (Need to get stronger, "lazer pewpew", a team of obscure allies, big bad man who wants to destroy the world of unknow reason.)

Its nothing like Dragonball...
Old 2007-03-13, 09:59   Link #582
H-man
3rd year Otaku

Location: Hmm...: Bollnäs, Sweden; Sundsvall, Sweden; Edsbro, Sweden and a couple of places in Texas, USA
Send a message via MSN to H-man
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
Don't be absurd. 26 episodes of a 112 episode anime are nothing, and the first season was the weakest. It is just meant to introduce the characters and give you an idea of who each of the big four are.

The third season DESTROYS anything else shounen has to offer. I would recommend you give it another try, and watch the whole series. You'll see the journey of Yusuke is far from ordinary in the genre.
Ok, you're right. I haven't watched the whole series. It might turn out to be quite good. But from my impression is just goes down the spiral, and of course I've watched previews of later episodes. Don't like it, but if my bro continues to buy the rest of the DVDs. Why say no to Anime? :P

Quote:
Its nothing like Dragonball...
Ok, I'll listen to you, just give me examples of CLEAR differences. You have seen my opinion in the earlier post.
Old 2007-03-13, 11:50   Link #583
Mueti
あ!

Send a message via ICQ to Mueti
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
this is contradictory with your own message : you are giving your opinion about the concept ^^
also, forums aren't supposed to discuss about our own opinions? it would be hard to focalize only on facts, errr ~~

at least, the thread objective is simply to give the members some opportunity to express their thoughts on some shows, which doesn't mean they are speaking truth or solid facts meh.
No, I was providing two different concepts, neither of which is very appealing to me. ^^
And of course there's nothing wrong with discussing over the merits and dismerits of particular shows. But the title of the thread "top 5 overrated" seemingly motivates a lot of people to post something like "I believe shows (1-5) are popular but I don't like them." or worse "I haven't seen X but I get the impression many people talk about it, so it must be overrated, right?" both of which make up a good part of this thread.

Last edited by Mueti; 2007-03-13 at 12:07.
Old 2007-03-13, 11:55   Link #584
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

i fully agree with you here : most people write down the shows they didn't like, or they don't really understand/never bothered to watch.

*sigh* opinions will always tend to some "biased judgement" but...
Old 2007-03-13, 14:50   Link #585
HurricaneHige
Uguu~

Just reading through this....u guys DO realize "overrated" means they do not lived up to the hype/attention they were given. I see a lot of people just listing anime that receives a lot of attention, and listed it as "overrated" even though they do live up to the expectation.

By the way, u cannot used the same judgment on every anime becuz of age factor, for example, people who watched other mech anime often dismiss Gundam and list it as one of the most overrated anime, however if u consider when it was release, and how the storyline, fighting scenes, drama was "borrow" into other mech anime, u'll see how special Gundam really "was". (I did hate the recycle fight scenes tho, but thats kinda like the Gundam series trademark)

Thats my 2cent, i dont feel like listing overrated anime and reasons for it, typing it is tiring
Old 2007-03-16, 17:41   Link #586
Manifold

Reading through all this, I'm quite glad none of my favourite anime series/movies have made it into this list...
Old 2007-04-15, 19:19   Link #587
xxanimefan4_ever
Sorri++

Quote:
Originally Posted by KholdStare View Post
The "Top 5 over overrated" is the same as the "top 5 most popular." If we think about it, the most popular ones have the most fans but have more people that doesn't like it. That's why Naruto keeps popping up as well as Love Hina. They're classics of Action and Romance/Comedy, and because they're classics, they're both most loved and most hated. And also, I believe that it is only fair to say something is overrated if you watched it completely. Yes, even if I hated Naruto and only watched 219 episodes, I wouldn't comment because there are 220 episodes total.
lol love hina and naruto are not "classics".
Old 2007-04-15, 21:01   Link #588
DarkCntry
Blue Dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxanimefan4_ever View Post
lol love hina and naruto are not "classics".
Actually, I'd probably consider Love Hina classic, as it did open the door to a slew of decently received harem comedies. However, it's still a toss-up based upon Ranma on that though.

Either way, Love Hina was really not as bad as people perceived it to be.
Old 2007-04-15, 23:54   Link #589
Mirrinus
Bemused Scholar

Eh...I just don't like using the term "overrated" as a negative comment about a particular show. If you were to call a show that I have not seen "overrated", what does that tell me?

1. You believe the people who like the show outnumber those who don't like the show. So that tells me that if I watch it, the odds favor my liking the show.

2. There must have been some substance for people to rate it well. That gets me curious to find out what that substance is.

3. There is a vibrant fandom for that particular show, so if I ever do like it, I won't have too much difficulty finding other people to discuss it with.

I prefer terms such as "fails to meet my standards". Meh...I'm done ranting. Go ahead and ignore me...
Old 2007-04-16, 13:34   Link #590
xxanimefan4_ever
Sorri++

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkCntry View Post
Actually, I'd probably consider Love Hina classic, as it did open the door to a slew of decently received harem comedies. However, it's still a toss-up based upon Ranma on that though.

Either way, Love Hina was really not as bad as people perceived it to be.
I don't think you get what people mean by the "classics" of anime, it has to do with the quality of the anime...

love hina is nowhere near decent for me let ALONE someone caling it a classic, it was completely unoriginal/cliche in like the most aggravating way and the characters were so bad, the jokes were lame, there's nothing special about it at all. I've seen so much better so...
Old 2007-04-16, 15:55   Link #591
DarkCntry
Blue Dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxanimefan4_ever View Post
I don't think you get what people mean by the "classics" of anime, it has to do with the quality of the anime...

love hina is nowhere near decent for me let ALONE someone caling it a classic, it was completely unoriginal/cliche in like the most aggravating way and the characters were so bad, the jokes were lame, there's nothing special about it at all. I've seen so much better so...
Actually, to most, classics refer to what opened doors to future representations. Akira, wasn't the best of story-writing, but it did have production value and showed that there was some ability to portray an adult cartoon to an audience and have it be engaging enough for many people to watch.

Love Hina, to some may not have been all that great, actually allowed various aspects to be carried from that show into others which went on to be really good shows. While it may not show that the popularity of that show bodes well with various places like Asuki, I can guarantee you that sales of the show prove otherwise. Perhaps it rode off the wake of the manga's success, however it does show that it had some lasting affect to other series' when you see various aspects of Love Hina used in that show.

Classics does not refer to quality alone, it refers to a very, very broad interpretation and a lot of different points.
Old 2007-04-16, 22:11   Link #592
Js2756
Thread Killer

Quote:
Love Hina, to some may not have been all that great, actually allowed various aspects to be carried from that show into others which went on to be really good shows. While it may not show that the popularity of that show bodes well with various places like Asuki, I can guarantee you that sales of the show prove otherwise. Perhaps it rode off the wake of the manga's success, however it does show that it had some lasting affect to other series' when you see various aspects of Love Hina used in that show.

Classics does not refer to quality alone, it refers to a very, very broad interpretation and a lot of different points.
Too bad that Love Hina bit off of so many other shows, that it in itself was very unoriginal. Almost all of the stuff that a lot of people attribute to Love Hina came from prior shows, so to claim that it should be considered a classic based off of the fact that "inspired" other harems is somewhat ridiculous. Now Tenchi Muyo, there is a show that can be considered a classic harem show.

Oh, and sales do not a classic make.
Old 2007-04-16, 23:16   Link #593
DarkCntry
Blue Dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Js2756 View Post
Too bad that Love Hina bit off of so many other shows, that it in itself was very unoriginal. Almost all of the stuff that a lot of people attribute to Love Hina came from prior shows, so to claim that it should be considered a classic based off of the fact that "inspired" other harems is somewhat ridiculous. Now Tenchi Muyo, there is a show that can be considered a classic harem show.

Oh, and sales do not a classic make.
I don't deny that, however it was what made most of those shows much more accessible to a broader audience.

I even stated that Ranma was the pioneer when it came to harem comedies, it was just that at the time, Ranma wasn't the popular title. Tenchi is another similar case to how it just didn't broaden out the genre.
Old 2007-04-17, 03:23   Link #594
shoggoth80

"If something sucks, it will suck regardless of how many people reccomend it. Are anime fans truely so shallow as to say that need somebody elses opinion on what they like?"

This was very well said. I'll take obscure gems over mass acceptance any day. Although I do admit, that there are times that my tastes and the mainstream do collide. This I attribute to mass appeal, and the fact that there are often reasons why certain shows are popular. If it is good (by my tastes), well then it doesn't matter how many people like it, or lump it.

BUT I just cannot resist the urge to burn on a few titles.

1. Naruto. Probably my #1 pick for over-rated. It isn't that I think the show is horrible. It's that it pushed 220 episodes, before the successor Naruto Shipuuden, which continues the adventure a couple years down the road. Oh yeah, and the TONS of filler. That and I have seen plenty of narutards to boot. THEN to top it off, I think the dub is junk...and people STILL freak over it.
Believe it.
Believe it.
Believe it.

2. Hellsing. I love this show. I really do. That doesn't mean that I don't think people have over rated it. At least the dub on this one was pretty good. Of course, the original voice acting is well executed as well. Just something when I see some crazy Otaku (the negative kind, that is all exocentric and gaga over ANYTHING Japanese, based solely on country of origin, and not upon its own merits as quality of naff) sporting a Hellsing sweatshirt AND a Hellsing messenger bag that just comes off as irritating and wrong. With the good comes the bad naturally. Just why does the bad have to be so annoying? This show isn't a marvel of animation, but it looks fine to my eyes. Sure the plot is alright, but not the most original... but it works well enough. I just see it hard to go wrong with vampires (I'm a horror fan).

3.Neon Genesis Evangelion. This is NOT the greatest anime ever made. It isn't bad for what it is, and I definitely give some props for trying to introduce a bit of a philosophical twist to things. The Evas were ugly bio-machines, and most of the characters were annoying. The most entertaining bits were the one chick (who's name I don't recall) starting every morning off with a beer (gotta do it right!) and Pen-Pen, the warm water penguin...he rocked. A bit dated, and worn out by now, lots of people beat this one into the ground. Good, but not great... a source of laughs from time to time. I think of this as more of a snapshot in the developmental timeline of anime.

4.Gundam Wing. I like Macross. I don't care much for Gundam. I mean what show has a character names "Woo-Fey?" Not the most exciting action, and a bit dry from what I remember watching on TV. Some of the Gundam designs were cool, but that was about it. I know this is another of those long running shows, so I imagine that it would get really dry at points, and the dub was pretty bad (that's what few episodes I did watch). I've known people who were pretty obsessed with Gundam Wing, and I never could understand why.
Old 2007-04-17, 20:21   Link #595
timmybadshoes
Mr. Bad Shoes

Send a message via AIM to timmybadshoes
1. Eureka Seven...In the beginning I loved this series but it got boring in the second half of the series and completely lost its appeal. I've heard it referred to as the best anime ever and it surely isn't.

2. Bleach, I love it but they are doing the first season over again with espada instead of captains. Still good ol Shounen anime.

3. Gundam Wing...a disgrace to the gundam franchise

4. Naruto Shippudden...yea it sucks so far, the build up to it wasn't worth it at all.

Underrated:

1. Yu Yu Hakusho
2. Gungrave
Old 2007-04-17, 22:05   Link #596
Js2756
Thread Killer

Quote:
I don't deny that, however it was what made most of those shows much more accessible to a broader audience.

I even stated that Ranma was the pioneer when it came to harem comedies, it was just that at the time, Ranma wasn't the popular title. Tenchi is another similar case to how it just didn't broaden out the genre.
I think you underestimate how popular Ranma and Tenchi were back in the mid-90s. Ranma. during that time, and to a lesser extent, Tenchi, were among the most popular animes of that time period. The only reason they may have been overlooked is because Dragonball (Z) and Sailor Moon were still dominant in the west. Harem has always had success if there was a decent show to support it. For some reason, harem basically nose dived from around 96 to 2000. There were practically no good harem shows produced, let alone translated and brought over to North America. I sometimes think that half the reason why Love Hina was so popular is because it was the first harem show in a long time that didn't totally suck ass to a lot of people (it did to me) in a long time. A show like Shuffle! or Girls Bravo probably could have had the same amount of success as Love Hina if they had come out at that time period and were distributed in the same manner as Love Hina.
Old 2007-04-17, 22:29   Link #597
DarkCntry
Blue Dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Js2756 View Post
I think you underestimate how popular Ranma and Tenchi were back in the mid-90s. Ranma. during that time, and to a lesser extent, Tenchi, were among the most popular animes of that time period. The only reason they may have been overlooked is because Dragonball (Z) and Sailor Moon were still dominant in the west. Harem has always had success if there was a decent show to support it. For some reason, harem basically nose dived from around 96 to 2000. There were practically no good harem shows produced, let alone translated and brought over to North America. I sometimes think that half the reason why Love Hina was so popular is because it was the first harem show in a long time that didn't totally suck ass to a lot of people (it did to me) in a long time. A show like Shuffle! or Girls Bravo probably could have had the same amount of success as Love Hina if they had come out at that time period and were distributed in the same manner as Love Hina.
Trust me, I know how popular Ranma and Tenchi were (can attest to this by my R2Js and VHS sitting on the shelf next to me), and to an extent still are...however, those two shows were pretty much all there was to harem comedies at that time, the rest were alloted to either highly ecchi comedies or straight-out hentai titles, which is why I said that Love Hina basically reinvented the genre.

I never stated Love Hina was the best, but it can easily be tossed in as a classic based upon the simple fact that it probably single-handedly revived the genre that was slowly slipping into oblivion. I don't deny that if shows were released in place, they probably would've benefited from similar popularity, but that doesn't change the fact that Love Hina was the show that was released :P
Old 2007-04-17, 22:42   Link #598
Diedrupo

It hasn't even been out long but Gurenn Lagann definately makes my top 5 of most overrated anime.
Old 2007-04-18, 02:47   Link #599
Furuno
Fuwaaa~~~
*IT Support

Send a message via Yahoo to Furuno
1. Naruto
Man, if you're in my country you'll know... For myself i didn't think they've good stories. It's true that animation quality is quite good. But, i dislike how they prolonged the series for very loooooooong~~~ (it's around 200++ and now looks like there's a new season...)

2. Bleach
About the same as above.

3. Last Exile
Wonder why this has a very high rating? I'd like to say that the animation quality is not enough to support the story.

4. Gundam Wing
Mechas in here are too GODLIKE...

5. can't think anything else hahahaha....

Check my Blog / Thread / Twitter for some random stuffs...
Old 2007-04-18, 03:19   Link #600
Misa

I have watched all of these shows but they are still overrated!

Inuyasha, Naruto, POKEMON!, Shaman king, and thats all
Closed Thread