AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-07-31, 13:28   Link #2461
mochichan

The show was featured in August issue of UK magazine, NEO. IDK how big this is.
You know what's annoying? Western media chalking up stars having anime ver as being "weird" (or basically anything from Japan) and blaming Hatsune Miku about this? What does that have to do with real life people have their own 2D ver in anime? Not to mention Pink Lady, the past popular idols back in the 80s or something has their own anime way before.

Ugh....w/e...I have no faith in western media reporting about Jpop or Japanese stuffs in general because majority of the time they make it out to be something weird. It's just celebs reaching out to a new outlet to promote themselves. Nothing new or bizarre about it....
mochichan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-31, 13:31   Link #2462
vampko

I didn't know the UK was like the US about Japan o_o
vampko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-31, 14:25   Link #2463
sa547
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by mochichan View Post
Ugh....w/e...I have no faith in western media reporting about Jpop or Japanese stuffs in general because majority of the time they make it out to be something weird. It's just celebs reaching out to a new outlet to promote themselves. Nothing new or bizarre about it....
I read the Tumblr post. Geez, the ol' Anime Insider could write about them much better. Note that the magazine article below dates back in 2009:

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

It's the usual pervasive stereotyping and misconceptions, and sadly that kind of "Japan-as-freak-show" viewpoint in the Western press is going to stay for a very long time.

Last edited by sa547; 2012-07-31 at 15:55.
sa547 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-31, 15:39   Link #2464
mochichan

^
I saw that too.
It's not even read as Akihabara48. It's true that's where the acronym come from but it's read AKB48. I remember the girls were upset in the beginning about how they didn't have their own identity as AKB. and was defined by their association to Akihabara. The first time they went on Kouhaku was part of the Akiba boom rather than through their accomplishment as a group.

And old ass pictures are old~ Like seriously......That pic of AKB is like 6, 7 yrs old and IDEK how old SMAP is in that....
You can get better image Google.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by vampko View Post
I didn't know the UK was like the US about Japan o_o
I remember the Guardian wrote some pieces on AKB after the election, as well as alot of western medias because it was a pretty big deal in Japan and even sponsored by Google
Basically the whole article was typical misconception etc...

Oh yeah and Wallstreet said AKB was inspired or like the new Spice Girl.......

Last edited by mochichan; 2012-07-31 at 15:51.
Old 2012-07-31, 16:03   Link #2465
sa547
*Author

Quote:
^
I saw that too.
FYI/OT: I scanned those pages as a response, and the mag -- dated February 2009 -- is actually one of two copies of AI in my collection; bought it back when I was into Marimite and AI was the most expensive magazine I ever bought locally, way above the usual pricetag as it was imported directly from the US.

At least it was a good writeup.

-----------
Going back to topic, I'd say No Name's single is now out in the open.
Old 2012-07-31, 19:13   Link #2466
Undertaker

Next thing they say will be that SMAP is modeled after Backstreet Boys and Nsync. (just to be clear, neither group can't hold a candle to SMAP, one of the only three male idol group I ever care about)

I've long give up on hoping the media of eastern country and western country to understanding each other's culture and actually doing some research before writing the article.

Forget about idols industry. Few years ago there was a movement in Taiwan by the a group of Representative trying to pass a law to censor ACG industry. There two strongest argument was 1) U.S. (4-Kid) had censor OP and 2) Nogizaka Haruka no Himitsu, an Ero-book was present in the young adult section without the required 18+ label.

Of course, that was quickly shut down by the rest of Taiwanese congress after a protest in front of the Party HQ of that head Representative of that censor movement with about 3,000-4,000 who pointed out that she has obviously had not done her homework and getting slammed on her official FB page that forces her to shut down the reply function for few days.

I'm just waiting for the day when ACG and moe take over the world and instead of army of soldiers we have army of maids and cosplayers....
Old 2012-07-31, 19:24   Link #2467
vampko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertaker View Post
Next thing they say will be that SMAP is modeled after Backstreet Boys and Nsync. (just to be clear, neither group can't hold a candle to SMAP, one of the only three male idol group I ever care about)

I've long give up on hoping the media of eastern country and western country to understanding each other's culture and actually doing some research before writing the article.

Forget about idols industry. Few years ago there was a movement in Taiwan by the a group of Representative trying to pass a law to censor ACG industry. There two strongest argument was 1) U.S. (4-Kid) had censor OP and 2) Nogizaka Haruka no Himitsu, an Ero-book was present in the young adult section without the required 18+ label.

Of course, that was quickly shut down by the rest of Taiwanese congress after a protest in front of the Party HQ of that head Representative of that censor movement with about 3,000-4,000 who pointed out that she has obviously had not done her homework and getting slammed on her official FB page that forces her to shut down the reply function for few days.

I'm just waiting for the day when ACG and moe take over the world and instead of army of soldiers we have army of maids and cosplayers....
ACG...?
What's that?
Old 2012-07-31, 19:51   Link #2468
Undertaker

ACG = Animation, Comic (what westerners refer to as manga), Games

That and '2D' are what Japanese and surrounding countries usually use when talking about these industries as a whole since these markets usually overlapping each other.
Old 2012-07-31, 21:40   Link #2469
Azuma Denton
~AD~

Quote:

The show was featured in August issue of UK magazine, NEO. IDK how big this is.
You know what's annoying? Western media chalking up stars having anime ver as being "weird" (or basically anything from Japan) and blaming Hatsune Miku about this? What does that have to do with real life people have their own 2D ver in anime? Not to mention Pink Lady, the past popular idols back in the 80s or something has their own anime way before.

It is quite wrong to blame Hatsune Miku...
The fenomena of idol has existed way before the birth of Hatsune Miku.

Before Mafia48, there is Morning Musume. And as i know, before Morning Musume, there is some idol group before it too...

Anyway, quite happy with the full version of both OP and ED song.
Now will wait for the OP PV Anime ver~
Azuma Denton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-01, 00:20   Link #2470
Undertaker

Oh there were TONs of them, strictly speaking almost any celebrities under 25 years that sings, act, and does photo shoots can be called an idol. If we stick to groups of at least 5. Then there Onyanko Club in the mid-late 80s that were pretty big and was also produced by Akimoto but that group self-destructed due to in-group feuding. It is still a fairly popular topic that pops up once in a while on music and comedy variety shows.

That's just on the female side, on male side, it goes back even further and the format was already perfected by SMAP by the mid-90s.
Old 2012-08-01, 01:08   Link #2471
vampko

They should be blaming Idolm@ster honestly xD
Old 2012-08-01, 01:45   Link #2472
LuxorMG
ItadakiMAKO

^ I'm sorry, I just can't say anything bad about IDOLM@STER.
Old 2012-08-01, 01:50   Link #2473
technomo12
Wise Otaku Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by vampko View Post
They should be blaming Idolm@ster honestly xD
why do you think they should blame idolmasters??

i think they should blame beiber instead
technomo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-01, 09:36   Link #2474
vampko

Quote:
Originally Posted by technomo12 View Post
why do you think they should blame idolmasters??

i think they should blame beiber instead
Idolm@ster was probably the first really successful idols that weren't real people. They were blaming Hatsune Miku for the same reason. She's not real, and yet she's an idol.

At least, that's how I read into it.
Old 2012-08-01, 10:33   Link #2475
mochichan

^
But AKB were successful idols before they were even made anime so.....

Anime ver.
No actual Kuumin, close up shots are cheap looking....so I'll stick to the real people ver.
sales are disappointingly at 18k first day probably because fans prefer to buy Gingham Checks and 1830m album than an anime single...psh....at least their weekly sales would be high for an anime song.
Tho it look like Japanese are broke in general. SMAP only got like 60k at first which is kinda low for them too.
Old 2012-08-01, 11:29   Link #2476
Kazu-kun

^ Welp, the PV looks surprisingly cheap. They recycled a lot of footage from the series, and what little new animation they added (not CG) looked like shit. The CG wasn't as good as it should be, and that rotacam looked silly as hell. Seriously, having the camera going in the same direction the whole time is fucking annoying. Who the hell does that?

All things considering, the concert in the series looked better.
Old 2012-08-01, 12:45   Link #2477
mochichan

^
The rotacam hurt my eyes...

New Nagisa figma~
Old 2012-08-01, 19:34   Link #2478
Liddo-kun
is this so?

Cute looking Nagisa figma.
There should be a Chieri figma as well, so Nagisa won't be lonely.

Last edited by Liddo-kun; 2012-08-01 at 19:57.
Liddo-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-01, 19:39   Link #2479
Chiaki_chan
Kubo GO TO HELL

Quote:

New Nagisa figma~
I like
Old 2012-08-01, 19:57   Link #2480
sa547
*Author

To clarify, poseable Figmas have moveable joints. It's actually made by Figurarts ZERO.

Quote:
I wish at least they should've able to equal or exceed those mind-blowing Macross Frontier PVs, notably the Nyan-Nyan Video Clip, but...

Tags
action-adventure, idols, musical anime