AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Gundam

Notices

Old 2012-11-13, 01:16   Link #5341
Kirayuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by amaterasu4 View Post
I really don't see what was the problem with Kira in Destiny since he never lost his mind unlike most characters and had his own rules when fighting (he would only kill his enemy if civilians would die, that's why he killed Stella and later tried to murder Durandal). In fact, Kira was more of a supporting character rather than a main character as he kept aiding Cagalli, Athrun and Lacus (to the point he even gains respect from Orb soldiers) and he never comes to hate an opponent. (it kind of reminds me to Quattro in Zeta, my favorite version of Char)
The real problem is the difference in portrayal between main and side characters in Destiny. It's not really about the characters themselves being flawed, but it was more of writing + direction problem.

If the character is more of a supporting character, then treat it like one. This is actually becomes very apparent after episode 34. For example, Quattro and Amuro also appear in Zeta. Even though the show spend quite a bit of time for them (and Quattro being a prominent figure for the series itself), there were never any doubt that Kamille was the star or main protagonist of the show.

This is the problem with how they deal with Shinn. You can't help to feel like rooting for a lost cause whenever you see him fighting against Kira and co. (especially after he got Destiny)
Kirayuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-13, 01:35   Link #5342
monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaito-kid View Post
Well, a third season will not work for the same reasons why all the UC shows after ZZ didn't work: Your audience get older, finish school, start working and some get married and start a family. They won't have the time to watch a weekly anime show or build Gunpla models. This is especially true for the Japanese Seed fans, as the majority of Seed fans were casual TV viewers.. In the end only the die hard fans will remain, but the fan base will not be large enough to justify a new full season (in terms of finance).

They can still do a new ONA or a OVA.. or even the SEED movie, but it won't be as big of a blockbuster as it would have been in 2007.

However, I sure that a new season of Seed will outsell Age in everything and it will perform at least as good as 00 (Based on the popularity of the characters, the Gunpla models and other merchandise), but it seems that Bandai is expecting a lot more from a Gundam show. They are trying to create something new that can replicate the effects of 0079 and Seed. They are not just trying to get by, they are looking for something lucrative that can last for a decade. There is an interview with the top guys at Bandai / Sunrise where they talks about this. Age was designed to do this, but obviously it didn't work out.
I think it's harder to make something that can last for a decade when they keep coming up with the next new universe.
monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-13, 01:50   Link #5343
Destined_Fate

Quote:
Yep. But it still would help.

I really don't see what was the problem with Kira in Destiny since he never lost his mind unlike most characters and had his own rules when fighting (he would only kill his enemy if civilians would die, that's why he killed Stella and later tried to murder Durandal). In fact, Kira was more of a supporting character rather than a main character as he kept aiding Cagalli, Athrun and Lacus (to the point he even gains respect from Orb soldiers) and he never comes to hate an opponent. (it kind of reminds me to Quattro in Zeta, my favorite version of Char)
Kira started out as a supporting character but slowly took over the spotlight. This was especially bad right after the Battle of Orb where it turned completely into the Kira show. Kira was supposed to be the Amuro of SEED, but apparently he didn't get the memo because he forgot Destiny was supposed to be the Zeta of SEED.
Destined_Fate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-13, 02:36   Link #5344
kaito-kid
As I make you stop, think

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster View Post
I think it's harder to make something that can last for a decade when they keep coming up with the next new universe.
I think the idea is to attract young kids who will grow up with a new Gundam series, and thereby securing Gundam's financial future for at least a decade. You are right. It definitely is harder, but in the end it pays off if successful. I think it's a good model, but they obviously need to do a better job than Age.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destined_Fate View Post
Kira started out as a supporting character but slowly took over the spotlight. This was especially bad right after the Battle of Orb where it turned completely into the Kira show. Kira was supposed to be the Amuro of SEED, but apparently he didn't get the memo because he forgot Destiny was supposed to be the Zeta of SEED.
yeah.. Too bad Kira isn't a real person who can hear the shitty opinions of some *wink wink* people.. Oh Kira you suck!
Old 2012-11-13, 03:13   Link #5345
KiraYamatoFan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirayuki View Post
This is the problem with how they deal with Shinn. You can't help to feel like rooting for a lost cause whenever you see him fighting against Kira and co. (especially after he got Destiny)
For storyline purposes, I always believed that the lack of disciplinary measures taken against Shinn created more or less that blinded spoiled brat we have come to know. If we consider how many violations he made under the code of military justice as an officially registered member of ZAFT, Shinn should have spent his fair share of "confinement time on bread and water" (naval terms) while his squadmates take all the glory UNLESS he grows a better attitude and better brains. Unlike what happened in SEED with Kira as the lone ace pilot for the ship, there were two more able to step up to the plate for the Minerva.

For sure, I'll always blame it on the writing department for not making sure the authority figures above Shinn (in this case, Talia and Athrun) are not given the opportunity to scold the little guy as it should be. In any show involving military units, wars and battles, I always believe some people should be there to fulfill the position as commanding officer(s) because that's how a protagonist evolves into the desired result of a character after following advice from mentors. That's probably the part where the writing department failed in shaping Shinn's character and it was probably already too late when someone noticed it by the time Kira steps into the arena. After that, what are you going to do?

I always believed Shinn should have gone through real hell as a combatant; that's also part of how his character would have been shaped differently by being able to see things with a different perspective.
KiraYamatoFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-13, 10:21   Link #5346
Mad Pierrot
Corrupted fool

Quote:
Wasn't it that the real main character from Destiny was Athrun? Shinn did not get much screentime and backstory until after the sixth episode as the show primarily focused on Athrun and Cagalli. Athrun ha most of show's screentime as he spends time in both ZAFT and Orb. He is also is the one who helps Orb defeat ZAFT as it did not look like Kira could deal with both Shinn and Rey alone. This is more obvious in the compilation films where he gets all narrations and is the center of all endings.

Also, something curious I notice is that Durandal appears to be the show's director. He wished to get the strongest mobile suit pilot, Kira Yamato, but got Shinn instead. He also wished to get one of the most popular personalities, Lacus Clyne, but got Meer instead. He does this to get people's attention and in the process changes parts of the war to make Shinn look like the hero who killed Stella rather than Kira. Who knows? Maybe I just played too much Metal Gear.

Last edited by Mad Pierrot; 2012-11-13 at 10:24. Reason: wrong formatting
Mad Pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-13, 14:21   Link #5347
Destined_Fate

False, Athrun was never the main character of Destiny. It was always Shinn. Athrun was meant to serve as his mentor ala Quattro to Kamille. When Destiny started he did act like a mentor but he seemed far too aggressive with Shinn while Quattro grew to like Kamille and wasn't rough with him at all after they got that out of their system. Quattro also knew how to get Kamille to reach his potential without yelling or trying to embarrass his protege and Quattro never once berated Kamille for taking down an enemy.

Athrun is only in the middle because he's the connection between the old Hero, Kira, and the new Hero, Shinn. That and he's the favorite.

Durandal only wanted to use Lacus because of her popularity. Than he figured out that that with SCIENCE he can make a loyal fake Lacus thus he didn't need to risk working with the rebellious Lacus. As for Kira? Durandal could care less for Kira until he started screwing up his plans with his plot armor.

As for the movies, yes. There were Athrun bias while the Series was Shinn and later Kira's perspectives with some Athrun while the movies were nearly all Athrun all the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiraYamatoFan View Post
For storyline purposes, I always believed that the lack of disciplinary measures taken against Shinn created more or less that blinded spoiled brat we have come to know. If we consider how many violations he made under the code of military justice as an officially registered member of ZAFT, Shinn should have spent his fair share of "confinement time on bread and water" (naval terms) while his squadmates take all the glory UNLESS he grows a better attitude and better brains. Unlike what happened in SEED with Kira as the lone ace pilot for the ship, there were two more able to step up to the plate for the Minerva.

For sure, I'll always blame it on the writing department for not making sure the authority figures above Shinn (in this case, Talia and Athrun) are not given the opportunity to scold the little guy as it should be. In any show involving military units, wars and battles, I always believe some people should be there to fulfill the position as commanding officer(s) because that's how a protagonist evolves into the desired result of a character after following advice from mentors. That's probably the part where the writing department failed in shaping Shinn's character and it was probably already too late when someone noticed it by the time Kira steps into the arena. After that, what are you going to do?

I always believed Shinn should have gone through real hell as a combatant; that's also part of how his character would have been shaped differently by being able to see things with a different perspective.
Wait, you're saying Rey and Lunamaria were better pilots than Shinn? No way, none of them could "step up to the plate" in many of the situations that Shinn managed to save all of their asses. Maybe Athrun could have but he has a bad history due to his betrayal of ZAFT, Shinn was a much easier person to spin as a public hero because of his blank slate and complete loyalty to ZAFT. Durandal was smart to use Shinn as a symbol due to his blank slate and his youth representing ZAFT's current generation.

Shinn was punished in the series but Durandal made sure that Shinn was never taken off the battlefield complete because of his potential, natural talent, and loyalty. It's why Durandal was quick to forgive Shinn no matter what but immediately jumped on the chance to try and kill Athrun once he had the evidence he needed to plant the former war hero as a genuine traitor once again.

It was always Durandal's intention to manipulate the youthful, and still easily swayed, Shinn while Athrun(already hardened by war and treachery was always suspicious of everything). Hence why he spoiled him, told Shinn what he wanted to hear, gave him nice perks and benefits. It was smart of him since until Kira appeared Shinn was a complete monster on the battlefield and since he was loyal there was no risk at all with him unlike with Athrun. ZAFT also genuinely loved Shinn for his ridiculous accomplishments on the battlefield and Durandal made sure that Shinn's little outbursts from time to time never reached the public eye. Would have been hard to cover all that up had Shinn actually been punished and had he been punished it would have severely damaged the war effort, moral, and doomed the Minerva.
Destined_Fate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-13, 15:43   Link #5348
Mad Pierrot
Corrupted fool

Quote:
False, Athrun was never the main character of Destiny. It was always Shinn. Athrun was meant to serve as his mentor ala Quattro to Kamille. When Destiny started he did act like a mentor but he seemed far too aggressive with Shinn while Quattro grew to like Kamille and wasn't rough with him at all after they got that out of their system. Quattro also knew how to get Kamille to reach his potential without yelling or trying to embarrass his protege and Quattro never once berated Kamille for taking down an enemy.

Athrun is only in the middle because he's the connection between the old Hero, Kira, and the new Hero, Shinn. That and he's the favorite.

Durandal only wanted to use Lacus because of her popularity. Than he figured out that that with SCIENCE he can make a loyal fake Lacus thus he didn't need to risk working with the rebellious Lacus. As for Kira? Durandal could care less for Kira until he started screwing up his plans with his plot armor.
If you remember around episode 34, Durandal talks about how he wanted Kira to join ZAFT, having considered he would have been their best pilot. Athrun and Cagalli are basically the only protagonists the show has in the beginning as Shinn only appears to fight and nothing is known about his motives. The first episodes are mostly focused on them. The fact is that Destiny actually ended having multiple protagonists as it focused on both Orb and ZAFT, while the original one only focused on the Earth Alliance.

Plot armor? You mean what Char used to survive at the end of every show? Heero and Setsuna are also users of that and Kamille in Zeta's remake. In fact, every anime protagonist uses that.
Old 2012-11-13, 16:28   Link #5349
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Wasn't it that the real main character from Destiny was Athrun? Shinn did not get much screentime and backstory until after the sixth episode as the show primarily focused on Athrun and Cagalli. Athrun ha most of show's screentime as he spends time in both ZAFT and Orb. He is also is the one who helps Orb defeat ZAFT as it did not look like Kira could deal with both Shinn and Rey alone. This is more obvious in the compilation films where he gets all narrations and is the center of all endings.
IMO Sunrise/Bandai got confused when they made Destiny series. At the beginning, they tried to make Athrun the main character (most likely due to his popularity) while also introducing Shinn as the pseudo-MC. In the middle part of the series, Athrun got pushed aside and Shinn took over the show. After that, during the last part of the series, Kira clearly took over that MC role (again, due to popularity), especially after Durandal announced the Destiny Plan. At the same time, they made Shinn into an antagonist for the rest of the show.

The Destiny SE movies fixed the mess by focusing on Athrun from beginning to end. So yeah, the focus on Athrun was intentional there.
Old 2012-11-13, 17:06   Link #5350
KiraYamatoFan
Banned

Quote:
Wait, you're saying Rey and Lunamaria were better pilots than Shinn? No way, none of them could "step up to the plate" in many of the situations that Shinn managed to save all of their asses. Maybe Athrun could have but he has a bad history due to his betrayal of ZAFT, Shinn was a much easier person to spin as a public hero because of his blank slate and complete loyalty to ZAFT. Durandal was smart to use Shinn as a symbol due to his blank slate and his youth representing ZAFT's current generation.
Certainly not Lunamaria, but Athrun (for the time he was there) and Rey were able to get the job done. And besides, Rey also had the skills; he was just a low-profile guy in my book.

Quote:
It was always Durandal's intention to manipulate the youthful, and still easily swayed, Shinn while Athrun(already hardened by war and treachery was always suspicious of everything). Hence why he spoiled him, told Shinn what he wanted to hear, gave him nice perks and benefits. It was smart of him since until Kira appeared Shinn was a complete monster on the battlefield and since he was loyal there was no risk at all with him unlike with Athrun. ZAFT also genuinely loved Shinn for his ridiculous accomplishments on the battlefield and Durandal made sure that Shinn's little outbursts from time to time never reached the public eye. Would have been hard to cover all that up had Shinn actually been punished and had he been punished it would have severely damaged the war effort, moral, and doomed the Minerva.
I can't speak for Durandal's intervention after the incident when Stella was brought out of jail back to the EA Forces because HE was informed of the incident. However BEFORE THAT, Talia and Athrun were the commanding officers with full authority vested in both of them.

What I mean is that the writing department didn't give a more serious try at showing Talia and/or Athrun making full use of the authority they have in the times when combat was nowhere on the horizon. Especially in Talia's case, I expected more of her as your typical no-nonsense commanding officer. I'd have paid a lot of money to see Talia and Athrun shouting out loud their discontent into Shinn's ears, and end up giving Shinn confinement time or tasks of cleaning up parts of the ship on his own as punishment. During that time when the violations were nowhere near what Shinn did with Stella, it was the law of the sea and nothing more. And by law of the sea, words about punishment usually don't come out of the ship.

Anyway, enduring punishment should always be a good tool for any character to think again about past actions. Too bad the writers didn't think of that.
KiraYamatoFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-13, 19:42   Link #5351
Mad Pierrot
Corrupted fool

The more I read these comments the more interesting I find SEED Destiny. It reminds me to other series like Scryed, Vagabond, Basilisk, Naruto and Gankutsuou where the focus changes between main characters and they tend to clash between each other (in Scryed it's actually the opposite). It kind of helps to give a better point of view about war as while the first time I watched Stella's death I felt sad, I understood why is it that Kira had to kill her. The same with Shinn violently attacking Kira and destroying Freedom in revenge (curiously the first opening, "Ignited". already used the footage of Freedom vs Impulse).

Durandal ended being on of my favorite Gundam antagonists alongside Zechs when I learned about his backstory. Also, I was surprised to know that Durandal was one of the people behind the Ultimate Coordinator project in Destiny Astray. Now if only Sunrise explained why Kira, Rey, Rau and Mu had small Newtype abilites (those psychic powers that helped Kira learn Neo's true identity) I would be happier.
Old 2012-11-13, 21:02   Link #5352
Washu-Chan