Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2007-08-21, 23:26   Link #1
Furuno
Fuwaaa~~~
*IT Support

Send a message via Yahoo to Furuno
Buying budget laptop, need some help...

Okay, now i'm planning to buy a budget laptop, which of these three do you think is better? Don't mind about the brands, it's a local brand from my country and i found its quite reliable, so :

1st Choice :
RELION Enduro LM-RL888
AMD Sempron 3400+, 512MB DDR2, 60GB HDD, DVD/CDRW Combo, 56K Modem, NIC, WiFi, VGA Nvidia GeForce Go 6100 128MB (shared), Camera, 15.4" WXGA, Non OS
US$. 485

2nd Choice :
ACER Aspire 5052ANWXMi
AMD Turion 64 MK-38, 512MB DDR2, 80GB HDD, DVD±RW, 56K Modem, NIC, WiFi, Bluetooth, VGA ATI Radeon X1100 128MB (shared), Camera, 14.1" XGA, Non OS
US$. 629

3rd Choice :
AXIOO Neon NVG758P
Core Duo T2080, 512MB DDR2, 80GB HDD, DVD/CDRW Combo, 56K Modem, NIC, WiFi, VGA Integrated 64MB (shared), Camera, 14.1" WXGA, Non OS
US$. 639

Here's my point of view :
#1 :
The only negative point for this one is the processor, but the price is extremely cheap...
#2 :
I like that AMD platform and the specs, it's the only one with DVDRW, and it's Acer...
#3 :
Dual-core, best processor among those three but the screen is bad and there's no graphic card, buw wow, it's under 2kgs!

So now i'm very confused... or maybe theres any other suggestion?

Thanks...

Note : The link is to Indonesian page, but i guess it's OK... Oh, and let the NonOS the way it's so i can install Ubuntu on that...

Check my Blog / Thread / Twitter for some random stuffs...

Last edited by Furuno; 2007-08-21 at 23:58.
Furuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-22, 02:00   Link #2
TheDarkHaze

What are you planning to do with this laptop? Is it a desktop replacement? Are you planning to play a lot of high/medium end games on it? If you're going to use it as a laptop (travel around) how long is the battery life on each? These are all semi-important questions to ask to see what you really need in the specs of a laptop.
TheDarkHaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-22, 02:12   Link #3
jedinat

You need at least a gig of ram. I don't know much about vid cards anymore, but definitely avoid "VGA Integrated 64MB (shared)" as it is likely painfully pathetic. A friend just bought a $1000+ laptop with a shared graphics card and the thing couldn't even run Warcraft 3 smoothly, though that may have been Vista crap drivers fault.
jedinat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-22, 09:16   Link #4
Furuno
Fuwaaa~~~
*IT Support

Oh yeah i forgot to state what i'll use that for, of course i won't do heavy gaming on those, just want to use it as mobile PC for college tasks, running word processor, website designing, photoshop, browsing, watching anime and such...

Battery won't be a problem for me, since i'll use in my university and there's a lot of AC plug everywhere...

I don't quite like #3 too, 1024x768 is bad for me, most probably will go with #1/#2...

@jedinat
Well i don't think i'll need 1gb of ram for that... $1000+ cannot run WC3 is robbery, whack the dealer...

Old 2007-08-22, 14:02   Link #5
Isako
*Fansubber

Send a message via MSN to Isako
Quote:
Originally Posted by furuno View Post
Well i don't think i'll need 1gb of ram for that... $1000+ cannot run WC3 is robbery, whack the dealer...
Oh trust me, you would want 1gig of ram.

XP on 1 gig of ram is the universal standard. Even if your not doing games, I'd say going with 1gig of ram of ram on a xp installation will save you alot of headaches.

I like #1 here.

It doesn't have the power of #2, but my dad's acer has been nothing but trouble. It's personally a brand I would avoid.
Isako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-22, 14:59   Link #6
Kazuma77
Kakashi Fangirl

I agree.. you should avoid Acer, cause it screams for trouble... i have one.. and after few months of rare use on the cd-rom, it failed ...stop working..
~Ladies, if a guy ever tells you, he wants to cover you from head to toe in honey, and lick it all off inch by inch, that's the man who hasn't done it before. You start at her toes, and before you get to anything interesting, she is asleep and you are in diabetic coma ~
Kazuma77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-22, 21:22   Link #7
TakutoKun
Mew Member
*IT Support

I agree with ACER - just on reputation alone. I would also ensure that your RAM is upgraded to at least one gigabyte. I really think you could run Windows XP just fine with 512 MB, but since you want to use Photoshop, 1 GB would benefit you.
TakutoKun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-23, 12:59   Link #8
arcadeplayer987

The Acer laptop has the best specs. I really don't know about their problems
arcadeplayer987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-23, 14:42   Link #9
Kazuma77
Kakashi Fangirl

please do not look at laptops on how they look.. like women do : pretty white plastic - alias apple laptop
~Ladies, if a guy ever tells you, he wants to cover you from head to toe in honey, and lick it all off inch by inch, that's the man who hasn't done it before. You start at her toes, and before you get to anything interesting, she is asleep and you are in diabetic coma ~
Kazuma77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-23, 19:06   Link #10
TakutoKun
Mew Member
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazuma77 View Post
please do not look at laptops on how they look.. like women do : pretty white plastic - alias apple laptop
I like the shiny blue one..
Old 2007-08-23, 19:24   Link #11
neutralizer
Hinagiku-ist

Send a message via AIM to neutralizer
Dell occasionally has deals for their laptops that go as low as $350. They're usually pretty nicely fitted to. I'd keep an eye out for deals like those in tech forums.
neutralizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-24, 14:59   Link #12
arcadeplayer987

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazuma77 View Post
That is true, the aspect is not important, the specs are.
arcadeplayer987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-25, 19:39   Link #13
Dkong1026

I disagree with 1gb ram.
I've been using a laptop with 512mb ram for the past 2-3 years now as a desktop replacement.

I don't play games on it, so nothing else really NEEDS 1gb ram. Sure it's nice, but I've been getting by without it.
Dkong1026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-25, 20:25   Link #14
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dkong1026 View Post
I disagree with 1gb ram.
I've been using a laptop with 512mb ram for the past 2-3 years now as a desktop replacement.

I don't play games on it, so nothing else really NEEDS 1gb ram. Sure it's nice, but I've been getting by without it.
I support this as well. For two years I used a Toshiba with 512 MB of RAM. I considered upgrading the RAM to 1 GB, but it wouldn't have offered me any benefits: battery life is very important to me, and I frequently put the laptop into sleep/hibernate as I move from class to class. More RAM increases the power draw on the battery - although it's a fairly negligable amount, as far as I've read. What was more worrying to me was the fact that more RAM = more data to dump to the disk when entering hibernate mode. If you never use hibernate, then it doesn't impact you. If you do, that's extended time that your computer is on and working, draining both the battery and your time.

Either way, with 512 MB I was perfectly fine. The HD was very slow and meant that the computer wasn't a joy to multitask with, but I wouldn't attribute it to the RAM.

Now I'm using a Macbook Pro with 2 GB of RAM, and I wish I had more. I frequently virtualize Windows (and occasionally Linux) and for virtualization, the more cores and RAM, the better. However, if you're not looking to virtualize, game, or render in 3D, more RAM may actually be more of a hinderence on what you're trying to do. Word processing and basic web browsing doesn't need a lot of RAM. Windows XP behaves perfectly well with configurations under 1 GB of RAM. If you want Windows Vista, go for 1-2 GB for sure.
Old 2007-08-26, 06:07   Link #15
Gundam Master

Send a message via AIM to Gundam Master
DELLS fail too much on me. I've had optical drives not work as well as drives not being detected by the bios and all sorts of problems. I aviod DELL when possible.
Gundam Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-26, 07:25   Link #16
TakutoKun
Mew Member
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dkong1026 View Post
I disagree with 1gb ram.

I will support this too. I have a laptop that has 512 MB of RAM. I use it to work away from home to process documents. I can play a couple of older games on it like "Unreal Tournament." I also have Windows 2000, Windows XP, and Linux on it - so it serves its purpose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gundam Master View Post
DELLS fail too much on me. I've had optical drives not work as well as drives not being detected by the bios and all sorts of problems. I aviod DELL when possible.
I have not really had a problem with DELL. I mean, I have seen quite a few GX 270's and 280's fail, but the Optiplex 620s and 740s seem to be doing fairly well. I worked for the Canadian Government for a while and all they deal with is DELL. However, no computer really is as great as the one you build yourself!
Old 2007-08-26, 13:32   Link #17
Dkong1026

Yeah, the laptop I've been using for a few years as a desktop replacement is a Dell. It's never given me and problems.
Dkong1026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-26, 19:57   Link #18
Furuno
Fuwaaa~~~
*IT Support

Personally i'm also agree with 512MB instead of 1GB. I'll rather use my PC for heavy task instead of using that laptop.

So, #1 is the better choice, right? I'll choose that. My wallet seems happy too With the extra budget i guess i'll buy a laptop cooler pad and hardcase...

I'll preorder it with Ubuntu installed...

Thanks for all of your suggestion...

Old 2007-08-31, 19:25   Link #19
Irvine
Awesome Member

Windows XP runs fine with 512 mb of RAM. As long as you disable useless programs from starting at startup and aren't planning to launch nuclear missiles while simultaneously downloading anime off of uTorrent with 20 tabs open on Firefox you should be fine.

Yeah, but you get my point. I have a computer that has been running on XP since early 2002 with 512mb of ram (and mind you, this is PC 2100 speeds), and a Pentium 2.4 Ghz processor. Let me tell you, that thing was a beast; and is still more than capable at running tasks like music, internet, and some other multi-tasking quite efficiently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by furuno View Post
I'll preorder it with Ubuntu installed...

And if that's the case, RAM shouldn't be a problem at all. I enjoy Windows XP (you just have to tweak it, and remove unnecessary programs) but I have tested Ubuntu before. Very fast.
Irvine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-01, 21:09   Link #20
TakutoKun
Mew Member
*IT Support

If you are savvy, perhaps I can suggest Black Viper? Black Viper has listed all the services that can be turned off safely in Windows XP. Have a look at Black Viper's website - Black Viper