AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2011-02-16, 13:06   Link #1
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

AnimeSuki 2010 Choice Awards Winners

The results are in for the AnimeSuki 2010 Choice Awards. Thanks to everyone who participated in the nominations and the voting. Once again, thanks to felix, Zeroryoko1974, Blue-kun and Sackett for counting the votes and an extra thanks to Fahd, felix and Blue-kun for making the banners.

There were some issues and suggestions being discussed about how to improve on the Choice Awards system for next year. I think perhaps the most definite thing to look out for next year will be stricter template so that nominations and votes can be counted automatically. Other changes and options are still open. The ones that have already been suggested are here:
Spoiler for suggestions:

Feel free to add any discussion or new suggestions in the results thread, but please try to keep it friendly and refrain from flaming winners that you didn't support. There were a couple of really close races, and second counts were done for those that were especially close. The counts are given for you to see for yourself as well as how many ‘no votes’ there were (of which there was surprisingly an alarming amount)

The Results

-{A} Action/Fighting

[39] Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood
[19] Katanagatari
[10] Fate Stay Night: Unlimited Blade Works
[6] To Aru Kagaku no Railgun
------------------------------------------------
[10] Abstained
[84] Total

-{B} Adventure/Fantasy

[31] Katanagatari
[21] Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood
[13] Angel Beats!
[7] Letter Bee
[1] Legend of the Legendary Heroes
[11] Abstained
[84] Total

-{C} Science Fiction

[19] Summer Wars
[18] The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya
[18] Time of Eve Movie
[13] To Aru Kagaku no Railgun
[4] Occult Academy
[12] Abstained
[84] Total

-{D} Mystery/Horror

[35] Shiki
[18] Durarara!!
[7] Highschool of the Dead
[6] Occult Academy
[18] Abstained
[84] Total

-{E} Comedy

[20] Shinryaku! Ika Musume
[14] Baka to Test to Shokanju
[13] Working!!
[12] Gintama
[10] Arakawa Under The Bridge
[15] Abstained
[84] Total

-{F} Romance

[29] Cross Game
[23] Kimi ni Todoke
[9] Nodame Cantabile: Finale
[5] Amagami SS
[18] Abstained
[84] Total

-{G} Drama

[22] Cross Game
[21] House of Five Leaves
[20] Angel Beats!
[6] Yosuga no Sora
[15] Abstained
[84] Total

-{H} Slice of Life

[26] K-On!! Season 2
[24] Cross Game
[10] Working!!
[9] Kuragehime
[7] Soredemo Machi wa Mawatteiru
[8] Abstained
[84] Total

-{I} Fanservice

[25] Highschool of the Dead
[18] Yosuga no Sora
[9] Ichiban Ushiro no Dai Mao
[3] Motto to Love Ru
[29] Abstained
[84] Total

-{J} Sports/Game

[32] Cross Game
[12] Giant Killing
[11] The World God Only Knows
[9] Ookiku Furikabutte ~Natsu no Taikai-hen~
[20] Abstained
[84] Total

-{K} Storyline

[26] Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood
[21] Tatami Galaxy
[19] The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya
[9] Cross Game
[9] Abstained
[84] Total

-{L} Visual/Animation

[36] The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya
[17] Summer Wars
[16] Katanagatari
[6] Fate Stay Night: Unlimited Blade Works
[4] Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood
[5] Abstained
[84] Total

-{M} Soundtrack

[24] Angel Beats
[13] Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt
[11] Yosuga no Sora
[10] Shiki
[9] K-On!! Season 2
[17] Abstained
[84] Total

-{N} Overall Television Series

[24] Cross Game
[21] Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood
[17] Katanagatari
[9] Shiki
[13] Abstained
[84] Total

-{O} Movie

[41] The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya
[24] Summer Wars
[6] Fate Stay Night: Unlimited Blade Works
[4] Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha: The 1st Movie
[9] Abstained
[84] Total

-{P} OVA

[27] Darker than Black: Gaiden
[14] Shakugan no Shana S
[10] Tamayura
[7] Black Rock Shooter
[26] Abstained
[84] Total

-{Q} Male Character

[27] Kitamura Kou (Cross Game)
[18] Heiwajima Shizuo (Durarara!!)
[10] Kyon (The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya)
[8] Yasuri Shichika (Katanagatari)
[6] Katsuragi Keima (The World God Only Knows)
[5] Koibuchi Kuranosuke (Kuragehime)
[10] Abstained
[84] Total

-{R} Female Character

[19] Yuki Nagato (The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya)
[17] Ika Musume (Shinryaku! Ika Musume)
[16] Tsukishima Aoba (Cross Game)
[15] Celty Sturluson (Durarara!!)
[8] Misaka Mikoto (To Aru Kagaku no Railgun)
[9] Abstained
[84] Total

-{S} Villain

[36] Orihara Izaya (Durarara!!)
[15] King Bradely (Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood)
[12] Asakura Ryoko (The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya)
[6] The Bugged Game (The World God Only Knows)
[2] Tatsumi (Shiki)
[13] Abstained
[84] Total

-{T} Worst Character

[29] Kirino Kousaka (Ore no Imouto)
[16] Koichi Shidou (Highschool of the Dead)
[5] Tony Stark (Iron Man)
[5] Seiji Yagari (Durarara!!)
[29] Abstained
[84] Total

Previous Winners:
2009 Winners
2008 Winners
2007 Winners
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-16, 13:18   Link #2
Blue-kun
Che! Che! Che!

There we go! Boy, looking at my picks it seems my favourites did pretty well. Overall, I like the results, the only one that sort of irks me is how K-On!! ended up stealing Cross Game's fifth award by two votes in the slice of life category (hah). But I can't complain, really, since CG took the Best TV series. It pleases me to see one Adachi adaptation get this sort of recognition from the community and I never expected it to beat those big names like FMA:B. Counting the votes for that category was really exciting, too, because FMA was ahead up to page 5 and then suddenly Cross Game fans united and it barely made it to the top spot!

All that said, thanks to everyone who participated, be it voting or helping out at counting and making banners and whatever else it took to finish the Awards this year. And I'll probably post later with some suggestions for the categories for next year, but not right now. I need some rest!

Cheers!
Old 2011-02-16, 13:21   Link #3
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

God damn it, only 5 of my choices ended up winning. Well congrats to Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood, The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya and Cross Game for winning multiple categories.
Old 2011-02-16, 13:48   Link #4
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

yay for Cross Game!! though i'm really surprised that railgun got completely shafted.

Blessed are those who listen to headphones, for they listen to the sound of heaven.
germanturkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-16, 13:55   Link #5
Razziell22

Overall, I’m pretty happy with the results^^ 10 of my choices ended up winning. So that’s not bad.
….The drama category I really wanted House of Five Leaves to win this I have nothing against the romance winner, as I loved the romance in Cross Game, but I still preferred Kimi ni Todoke ;P…For male character: I voted for Shizuo, but I guess Kou is good as well. Oh, and maybe the soundtrack….I really loved Shiki music. But oh well…
Old 2011-02-16, 14:15   Link #6
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

Results aren't shocking, but I am quite happy that Katanagatari, K-On, and Angel Beats won their respective categories, though Haruhi winning two was expected and still great news , and Kirino seems to be popular else where despite this vote to her.

P.S. Not enough people here must have watched Yosuga no Sora for it to not win Fanservice .
MAL
Kotohono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-16, 14:51   Link #7
Deathscyther

Nice banners!

Guess I expected most of these results. Only real surprises for me were: Summer wars winning the Sci-fi category and Yuki Nagato winning the best female category.

Happy that Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood won two categories and that Shinryaku! Ika Musume won the comedy category
Old 2011-02-16, 15:27   Link #8
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konakaga View Post
P.S. Not enough people here must have watched Yosuga no Sora for it to not win Fanservice .
Quantity =/= quality

I'll take any of the HoTD girls over the YnS girls
Old 2011-02-16, 15:27   Link #9
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue-kun View Post
There we go! Boy, looking at my picks it seems my favourites did pretty well. Overall, I like the results, the only one that sort of irks me is how K-On!! ended up stealing Cross Game's fifth award by two votes in the slice of life category (hah). But I can't complain, really, since CG took the Best TV series. It pleases me to see one Adachi adaptation get this sort of recognition from the community and I never expected it to beat those big names like FMA:B. Counting the votes for that category was really exciting, too, because FMA was ahead up to page 5 and then suddenly Cross Game fans united and it barely made it to the top spot!

All that said, thanks to everyone who participated, be it voting or helping out at counting and making banners and whatever else it took to finish the Awards this year. And I'll probably post later with some suggestions for the categories for next year, but not right now. I need some rest!

Cheers!
Oi! K-on deserved it. :D

Am I the only one who still thinks series like Summer Wars being there is stupid?
Old 2011-02-16, 15:38   Link #10
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

I agree with the idea of going by the date of DVD release rather than the premiere. It may seem a bit odd but this way every film has a fair shot now.
Old 2011-02-16, 16:02   Link #11
Kameruka
Hen-Tie

Yosuga no Sora lose in every participated categories, that's no surprise. But I'm still proud that lots of people still voting for them.
Kameruka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-16, 16:02   Link #12
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by totoum View Post
Quantity =/= quality

I'll take any of the HoTD girls over the YnS girls
Bleh, the HoTD girls are fugly with their giant cow udders that give me back pains just looking at them...

That being said, I am upset that Arakawa did not win best comedy...not surprised, but still upset. I'm also upset that Cross Game won so many awards. I expected Romance (I even expected Best Program, though I never once considered it for that title), but Sports (okay, I did kind of expect sports, but I still felt Giant Killing was a better Sport title)? Drama? Bleh again.

Still, I was happy Summer Wars won best Sci-Fi, if only because the Eve no Jikan is almost exactly the same as the OVA so it was a throwaway nomination, and Haruhi was just okay (I'm not sure why Summer Wars was nominated again, but it lost last year, so I'm glad it won this year ). Katanagatari winning any award is also a plus.

edit: That being said, nice designs for the banners. A lot of work went into them, and whether that was simple dedication for the job or an actual love of the shows, acknowledgment is certainly due.

As for changing the nominations...well I'll just leave it at seperating Hobbies and Sports.

Last edited by james0246; 2011-02-16 at 16:16.
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-16, 16:13   Link #13
Kameruka
Hen-Tie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konakaga View Post
My thoughts exactly. Thought I never look forward to see YnS win the fanservice award, at least YnS did not rely on constant pantyshots.

Another disappointment to me is I am one of the 5 losers that actually voted Amagami SS for romance category. Giant Killing lose to Cross Game in sports category is a big surprise because GK is more sport-centered than CG but no offense to all CG fans. I was raised in a country that more familiar with football than baseball and I think there just aren't many people watching them.
Kameruka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-16, 16:25   Link #14
Blue-kun
Che! Che! Che!

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246
Bleh, the HoTD girls are fugly with their giant cow udders that give me back pains just looking at them...
Hahaha, I must agree with you there. Hard for me to like girls with racks that unrealistic. In particular when they're equipped with bullet-time effect breasts and all!

As for Cross Game, being an avid fan of the show I think I agree with you in that the Sports category might have been better off handed to another show, simply because it wasn't exactly Cross Game's focus. Not to say it didn't have a good Sports component - I think Cross Game is a show which is very strong at all it tries to do -, but I'd still keep my vote for Ookiku Furikabutte for showing what are so far my favourite baseball matches in anime. Lots of detail, lots of great animation and always very nice climaxes.

That said, I did not watch House of the Five Leaves, so I can't comment on that, but based on the other picks I do think Cross Game deserved to take the Drama one. It's a show that's easy to relate to because of how well it handles that coming of age period of life, and it did almost turn me into a cryinb boy with some of its scenes. But I resisted the urge to do so!

And hell, yeah, shame Arakawa never made it. I also voted on it, but it wasn't enough. Overall it was a show that surprised me each week with a new outrageous thing by the cast, who, obviously, moved the show forward with how diverse and funny it was.

Lastly, thanks for the compliments on the banners, but most of the credits should go to felix here. He came up with the template by himself, we just followed suit from there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix
Oi! K-on deserved it.

Am I the only one who still thinks series like Summer Wars being there is stupid?
I am no K-ON! hater, and I think it does a lot of things right. I'm always telling people that bash it for no reason other than "moe" that if it was simply that, it would never have sold as well as it did. Anything by Kyoto Animation is always something I'd consider watching because the staff always seem to do their best effort to bring these shows to life, and there's just a huge attention to small details that you won't find in many other adaptations. However, it's still not my cup of tea, so I'd have preferred another winner!

As for Summer Wars... Well, we just followed the rules, eh? And as such I still voted for it, because I think it deserves some recognition for being a very entertanting movie, which did a nice job bringing such a huge family to life with about two hours of movie. Along with the terrific animation, of course, haha.
Old 2011-02-16, 17:08   Link #15
Theowne
耳をすませば

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
not surprised, but still upset. I'm also upset that Cross Game won so many awards. I expected Romance (I even expected Best Program, though I never once considered it for that title), but Sports (okay, I did kind of expect sports, but I still felt Giant Killing was a better Sport title)? Drama? Bleh again..
I can see where you're coming from, as Blue-kun says. While I am a huge fan of Cross Game and would give it best show/romance without question, I never considered it the best sports show, for example, as there were other shows (Ookiku Furikabutte for me too) that I felt had more substantial sports components while CG was more of a show that involved sports. I think it's just a result of the show having a small but vocal/active fanbase that considers it underrated and needing exposure, which has certainly been achieved by winning multiple categories.

My Site - Reviews collection, Sheet music, and etc.
Anime reviews/blog, piano arrangements, Studio Ghibli..

Last edited by Theowne; 2011-02-16 at 18:55.
Theowne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-16, 17:46   Link #16
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
I agree with the idea of going by the date of DVD release rather than the premiere. It may seem a bit odd but this way every film has a fair shot now.
How is it fair? Let's say it never gets DVD release or gets DVD release after 5 years. It would mean it then suddenly doesn't exist.
Old 2011-02-16, 18:35   Link #17
Ascaloth
I don't give a damn, dude

The first thing I was thinking about on seeing this year's awards....is to marvel at whoever's doing the Winner's Banners for this year, and to weep at the neglect of last year's Awards.
Ascaloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-16, 19:20   Link #18
antigone

Summer Wars was a 2009 film so I also think it was stupid.

As for the rest of the awards, it was utterly underwhelming, if not disappointing. I can see this type of awards as something like that of MTV awards and not the Academy Awards, in terms of recognizing shows of actual merit. (House of Five Leaves, Book of Bantorra, Zakuro, Welcome to the Space Show, Colorful, etc)
antigone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-16, 20:01   Link #19
Blue-kun
Che! Che! Che!

Quote:
Originally Posted by antigone View Post
Summer Wars was a 2009 film so I also think it was stupid.

As for the rest of the awards, it was utterly underwhelming, if not disappointing. I can see this type of awards as something like that of MTV awards and not the Academy Awards, in terms of recognizing shows of actual merit. (House of Five Leaves, Book of Bantorra, Zakuro, Welcome to the Space Show, Colorful, etc)
Stupid or not, Ansalem made the rules to make only movies with DVD released in 2010 eligible. It was his initiative, so we just followed whatever he started. Next year it might or might not change, but I don't see what's the point in having a movie which no one watched eligible for voting before the DVDs have come out.

As for the rest, this isn't an "Academy Award", nor is it trying to become so. It's a fun thing hosted by the community where everyone has a chance to pick their favourite show of the year in various categories. It doesn't mean it's got to be the best objectively speaking, it's an award made to reflect the majority of the users' tastes in a certain year.

It's not going to please everyone, since we all like and dislike different things, but the fun is checking out what the community you're a part of liked the most.

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix
How is it fair? Let's say it never gets DVD release or gets DVD release after 5 years. It would mean it then suddenly doesn't exist.
I might be missing something big here, but if a movie premieres and then never gets a DVD release, it's not like most of the people here are going to be able to watch it, right? If so, I'd say it's probably best to keep the DVD release dates from now on, in particular since there's no chance of having repeated entries like Summer Wars next year.

Last edited by Blue-kun; 2011-02-16 at 20:22.
Blue-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-16, 21:17   Link #20
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue-kun View Post
I might be missing something big here, but if a movie premieres and then never gets a DVD release, it's not like most of the people here are going to be able to watch it, right? If so, I'd say it's probably best to keep the DVD release dates from now on, in particular since there's no chance of having repeated entries like Summer Wars next year.
What do you mean?

And I really think you all are misunderstanding the gravity of the rule.
Quote:
Since most of AnimeSuki forum users don't live in Japan, movies may be nominated if their DVD/BD release was during 2010. This is a slight change from the previous year which allowed both movies that aired and were released during 2009. This change is to make sure that only movies that have had international availability will be eligible for voting. As a result, there are some movies that were up for nomination last year which may be nominated again but will make it so in the future movies may only receive nominations for a single year.
ie. if it never gets licensed you'll never see it here?

If it's just "japan-only DVD release will do", then this rule just becomes a rule of convenience. Just go to the theater. If you live somewhere else, just fly to Japan. I see the small merit in this; but honestly "movie from 2009 is movie of the year 2010" is just sooo stupid sounding I'm lost for words. What "of the year" awards do you know of that actually do things like this? I'd rather just not see the category altogether, or otherwise the contest name should be changed. At the very least change the name to "DVD-Released Movie of the Year", so it at least makes half sense in context. Also note, it may sound like you're fixing things, but say I see Super Cool Movie X—and it doesn't get DVD release—I can't show my support for it, even though it may have been my favorite.

Also, while on the topic; propose "Worst Character" => "Most Disappointing Character". Kirino is a very well crafted character, she just happens to play the role of a b*tch (among others), which is not her fault or a defect, the overall framework is sound—the award is misleading.

Tags
choice awards