AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2018-04-15, 12:22   Link #21
videoman190

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idealist 99 View Post

This version of Kitaro seem harsher compare to other Kitaro.
I think he did that to protect Mana from being eaten, killed, or spirited away from evil youkai.

Last edited by videoman190; 2018-04-15 at 12:52.
videoman190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-04-15, 12:24   Link #22
Mistyclear

He does seem harsher doesn’t he, I’ll withhold judgment on if it’s a good thing or bad thing till later.

Last edited by Mistyclear; 2018-04-15 at 14:07.
Mistyclear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-04-15, 13:46   Link #23
BBOvenGuy
Math Ninja
*Author

This show gives me some of the same vibes as Doctor Who (and you may take that as a compliment). That is to say, it's a children's show from the 60s that has gained a secure spot in the culture by evolving and adapting over the decades. But unlike Doctor Who, I'm coming into this version of the show completely new. Makes me curious about the earlier versions.
BBOvenGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-04-21, 23:47   Link #24
Benigmatica
Deadpan Rambler

Send a message via Yahoo to Benigmatica
So about Episode 4, I have a feeling that Yuuta's grandmother learned a lot of youkai from watching the 1968 version. Therefore, Yuuta felt excited when meeting Kitaro and the rest of the youkai.

Fortunately for Yuuta-kun, seems that he didn't get eaten which is a close one since his curiosity almost got him killed.
Benigmatica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-04-22, 03:21   Link #25
Idealist 99

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benigmatica View Post
So about Episode 4, I have a feeling that Yuuta's grandmother learned a lot of youkai from watching the 1968 version. Therefore, Yuuta felt excited when meeting Kitaro and the rest of the youkai.

Fortunately for Yuuta-kun, seems that he didn't get eaten which is a close one since his curiosity almost got him killed.
I had a feeling that Yuuta's grandfather was one of Kitaro's human companion from previous series however the current series is a reboot so it shouldn't have any connection with previous series. Specially considering how Neko changed into a tsundere.
Which make wonder, will Nurarihyon reappear again as the main antagonist ? since he was Kitaro's archrival .
Old 2018-04-22, 11:17   Link #26
Mistyclear

^We’ll have to wait and see about Nuraihyon...another good episode...enjoying it so far.
Mistyclear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-04-28, 21:39   Link #27
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

My only exposure to the Kitarou franchise was the noitaminA series Hakaba Kitarou which was very different from this, darker with a stronger horror component. I read GeGeGe was a series targeted more at kids and never watched it. I'm quite enjoying this version with superhero Kitarou. Both girls are really cute, and Daddy Eyeball is quite detailed in closeups.

Neko-chan only appeared in a couple of episodes of Hakaba. I recall some romantic hints, but that's about it. Nothing like Mana-chan conveniently falling into Kitarou's arms.

My favorite Kitarou weapon so far is the finger gun. It's just so, well, juvenile!
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-04-29, 00:29   Link #28
Benigmatica
Deadpan Rambler

Send a message via Yahoo to Benigmatica
Well, I must say that Episode 5 showed a fatality. I must say that humans using youkai for their money-making schemes, especially when Kaminari-sama is involved, is a bad idea.

Also, seems that Nezumi-Otoko won't learn from his bad habits of getting himself rich.
Benigmatica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-04-29, 07:19   Link #29
Idealist 99

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post

Neko-chan only appeared in a couple of episodes of Hakaba. I recall some romantic hints, but that's about it. Nothing like Mana-chan conveniently falling into Kitarou's arms.
The ship war will be hard in this series.
I can't even pick one, both Mana and Neko look good. However Mana might be a better choice storywise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benigmatica View Post
Well, I must say that Episode 5 showed a fatality. I must say that humans using youkai for their money-making schemes, especially when Kaminari-sama is involved, is a bad idea.

Also, seems that Nezumi-Otoko won't learn from his bad habits of getting himself rich.
Spoiler for spoiler:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistyclear View Post
^We’ll have to wait and see about Nuraihyon...another good episode...enjoying it so far.
Nuraihyon of this series might be more sinster, serious and stronger than his previous version in the series considering the tone of this series.
Speaking of which, do you think Kitaro can beat Nuraihyon and Rikou from Nuraihyon no mago ?
Old 2018-04-30, 06:15   Link #30
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
My only exposure to the Kitarou franchise was the noitaminA series Hakaba Kitarou which was very different from this, darker with a stronger horror component. I read GeGeGe was a series targeted more at kids and never watched it. I'm quite enjoying this version with superhero Kitarou. Both girls are really cute, and Daddy Eyeball is quite detailed in closeups.
That's 81 year-old Nozawa Masako of Dragonball fame doing Medama Oyaji. Obviously she's doing a great job, but what's really cool is that she voiced Kitarou in the 1968 and 1971 versions.
Guardian Enzo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-05-12, 14:08   Link #31
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

What a sad episode. I kept hoping there would be a solution where Shiro could stay with Masae-san and not destroy her in the process, but even in a show like this, we don't get that sort of upbeat outcome. Do you suppose Shiro just wandered off into the woods and died from its wounds? Can yokai even die that way? Wouldn't Shiro have to be exorcised in some manner?

The previous yokai weren't all that sympathetic as characters, but Shiro's despair tore at my heartstrings.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-05-12, 18:42   Link #32
Renchan

Quote:
What a sad episode. I kept hoping there would be a solution where Shiro could stay with Masae-san and not destroy her in the process, but even in a show like this, we don't get that sort of upbeat outcome. Do you suppose Shiro just wandered off into the woods and died from its wounds? Can yokai even die that way? Wouldn't Shiro have to be exorcised in some manner?

The previous yokai weren't all that sympathetic as characters, but Shiro's despair tore at my heartstrings.
I was hooping Kitaro would brought Shiro to Tokyo so he can afford living with human without destroying them (at least not to the extent of Masae-san and the other old man) since there are plenty of other people to "eat".
Renchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-05-12, 19:14   Link #33
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renchan View Post
I was hooping Kitaro would brought Shiro to Tokyo so he can afford living with human without destroying them (at least not to the extent of Masae-san and the other old man) since there are plenty of other people to "eat".
IMO the only reason Kitaro bothers with all this rescue missions in the human world is that he knows that if yokai cause too much trouble to humans it would mean the end of their peaceful existence, because if something characterizes human beings is obliterating anything that might pose a threat (even if there is collateral damage, ask pollinating bees). So Shiro going berserk on the big city (even if it for a good reason) is an scenario that Kitaro would not approve.
mangamuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-05-13, 01:08   Link #34
BBOvenGuy
Math Ninja
*Author

I was waiting for Enma Ai to make a guest appearance this week...

And next week... Mana's finally back!
BBOvenGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-05-13, 04:22   Link #35
Faux Mecha
robot looks impractical

^ Gegege no Kitarou, for series aimed at kids the topics presented are straight up f**king hardcore as hell (pun intended ).
Faux Mecha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-05-13, 05:05   Link #36
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Japan knows how good this show is (great TV ratings) but the Western audience seems to be totally sleeping on it.
Old 2018-05-13, 05:25   Link #37
Idealist 99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faux Mecha View Post
^ Gegege no Kitarou, for series aimed at kids the topics presented are straight up f**king hardcore as hell (pun intended ).
Is Kitaro really for kids ? It has many messed up story even in the original manga. Not to mention, a woman was murdered in the episode 06 by an Yokai.
I honestly get why Kitaro didn't used his electric absorption power against that thunder Yokai from the beginning. It seem Kitaro has a lot of ability that he doesn't uses including that transformation where his entire hair turns into flames.
Old 2018-05-13, 05:55   Link #38
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Well, it airs at 9 AM on Sunday mornings. Of course H x H did too, before the Chimera Ant arc.
Old 2018-05-13, 09:54   Link #39
Blueknight78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idealist 99 View Post
Is Kitaro really for kids ? It has many messed up story even in the original manga. Not to mention, a woman was murdered in the episode 06 by an Yokai.
I honestly get why Kitaro didn't used his electric absorption power against that thunder Yokai from the beginning. It seem Kitaro has a lot of ability that he doesn't uses including that transformation where his entire hair turns into flames.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Well, it airs at 9 AM on Sunday mornings. Of course H x H did too, before the Chimera Ant arc.
well they told which it was supposed to replace DB super in they kids show grade then it really was supposed to be kids show.

However this episode was really, really not even close to kids friendly, it was wow super serious adult mature. it don't have sex or gore but the story focus not was really something a kid would like to watch.

Basically a episode about bullying, caroush(die of overwork), trash work place, crap boss, suicide, basically they hit some really big issues in japan, cuz you have in japan that trash bosses which force they workers to "overwork" like crazy giving them a insane workload like make a single person work for 4 to 5 peoples, having to expend most of his time at work, in many cases the guy stop go home during the week and only going at weekends to meet they insane quota.

Many companies do that to they workers, it's almost a slavery disguised as "normal works" as many companies use the "japanese" work hard mind set to make them work to die, it's a really big issue and at the end the bullying at schools is another issue hard leading to suicides in middle and high schools, again because many peoples take advantage of japanese mindset of "never ask for help" and keep everything for yourself even if you do need help.

this episode really hit hard in some japan big issues, i'm really impressed with it.
Old 2018-05-13, 10:27   Link #40
Faux Mecha
robot looks impractical

lets not forget the basics 101 of the titular character himself and his father whom both has a gruesome origin story (you can see partially in the OP).......... for the kids.
Faux Mecha is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
old anime, remake