Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2010-01-24, 21:37   Link #1
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Send a message via Yahoo to Yu Ominae
Spec Ops: The Line

Upcoming game for the PS3, Windows and Xbox 360 in part to revive the Spec Ops Line.

Story:

Quote:
Dubai was hit by a series of massive sandstorms, leaving the UAE's well-known city in a pile of sand. One of the people left behind by John Conrad, a US Army Colonel who stayed behind to protect local and foreign residents of Dubai as the sandstorms came in with a squad of men under his command when they refuse to leave after a majority of the residents have evacuated.

After a weak transmission from a distress signal was found, a Delta Force unit led by Captain Martin Walker was deployed in to what is left of Dubai in order to figure out if anyone is alive, locate Colonel Konrad and his men and assess if they are still alive or not and figure out the mystery of the sandstorms.
The plot somehow reminds me of Hokuto no Ken since you need to fight outlaws that have settled in almost all of Dubai.

Official Website

Basically, you have a three-man squad with each of their own specialties. In addition, the sand can be a friend of a foe. The player-controlled commando can also fight by blind firing.

Spoiler for Sand stuff.:

Even if we were at odds with each other, I still thank you for training me, Instructor Bowman - Yu Ominae, reflecting on Bowman's death after killing him in Phantom Island

Last edited by Yu Ominae; 2010-01-24 at 21:59.
Yu Ominae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-02, 19:21   Link #2
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Send a message via Yahoo to Yu Ominae
News

Old now, but the game has been only officially banned in UAE due to the story.

Hm.

Even if we were at odds with each other, I still thank you for training me, Instructor Bowman - Yu Ominae, reflecting on Bowman's death after killing him in Phantom Island
Yu Ominae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-20, 05:56   Link #3
Skane
Anime Snark

Cool Spec Ops: The Line

Quite surprised to not see a thread about this gem of a game yet. Probably because at first glance it looks to be your typical FPS game? Well, I assure you, it is not.

I don't normally play FPS unless it has a compelling story, and this is something SO:TL has. I can't say much without spoiling the story too much, especially with regards to the multiple possible endings (yes, endings. Not blue, green and red, but apples and oranges), but people really need to play more games like these if only to stem the tide of cookie-cutters in terms of single-player plotlines.

The last game to make me question my decisions was Mass Effect 1 when I had to choose between Kaiden or Ashley. Damned if you do, damned if you don't. What will you choose?

Cheers.
Old 2012-07-20, 07:12   Link #4
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

i watch total biscuit video . it seem it portray brutal version of war instead usual you vs enemy.

i quite interesting and refreshing probably will buy later if i have time

RRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-20, 07:20   Link #5
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

I heard the gameplay sucks, so i just watched the cutscenes.
Old 2012-07-20, 07:38   Link #6
grylsyjaeger
Onani Master

Send a message via MSN to grylsyjaeger
Spec Ops was great.

I thought the game play was fun and I really enjoyed the gun fighting.

The pure brutality of the game was very well done and I honestly felt sick at times from the decisions I (in)directly made at times.

And believe me, you'll leave well aware the effects White Phosphorous has on human beings by the game's end.

Spoiler for Plot:

"It doesn't mean much, we never had a chance."
grylsyjaeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-25, 10:08   Link #7
Gamer_2k4
Anime Cynic

I haven't beaten the game yet (somewhere around Chapter 13-15 right now), but so far I'm just not impressed. SO:TL tries to excuse mediocre gameplay with a stunning and compelling story. Unfortunately, because it fails as a game, it also fails as a storytelling device.

Spoiler for examples:

I could list other examples, but suffice it to say that the game treats the player and the character of Walker as two separate entities. Some people find this unexpected and complex. I find this stupid and annoying. My issue isn't with a character doing something I'm opposed to; some of the best characters in any medium are thorough unlikable. My issue is with the protagonist in a GAME being treated as something other than an avatar of the player. When you punish me for things that are out of my control, you force a disconnect between me and my character. That disconnect goes against the fundamental purpose of a game: to provide appropriate response to my stimulus. How would you like it if a character in an RPG started using a different weapon than you gave him? How would you like it if your player in Madden started running around in circles instead of obeying the inputs you provided? It wouldn't be fun, would it.

If SO:TL wants to be an engine for a dramatic and compelling story, it has to succeed first at being what it is: a game. Perhaps this is an odd gripe to have, but the fact that there can be difficulty in getting from cutscene to cutscene (often fake difficulty, like having an obviously teleporting enemy attack you while strobe lights are going) means that SO:TL still considers itself a game of some sort, and not just a story. However, because the disconnect between game and story is so drastic, you're left frustrated at both.

Because of this, Special Ops: The Line is objectively not a good game.
Old 2012-07-25, 19:06   Link #8
Skane
Anime Snark

Hmm, that's quite a different perspective. I'm no expert at FPS-es since they're not usually my favourite choice of genre, and I played SO:TL on Normal Difficulty and found it to be much easier than other FPS-es that I have played before? That Heavy you mentioned, I killed him on my first try.

The mortar issue is quite a common complaint though, I will concede on that, although it wasn't an issue for me because I went the pragmatic route on my first playthrough and didn't consider alternatives.

The other scenarios though, like "The Test" were quite engaging, in the ways you could play it out.

Cheers.

Tags
ps3, spe ops: the line, spec ops