Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2010-05-08, 21:44   Link #301
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
So just to confirm - there were 12 episodes for this season? Any OVAs incoming? (I was certainly left wanting to see more....)
At this point, they've only announced the 6 BDs/DVDs containing the TV broadcast's 12 episodes, though I expect we'll probably see an OVA announced at a later date (as has been the custom). No DVD/BD-exclusive episodes as part of the main run this time, though (but each disc does come with an all-new drama track on the audio CD).
Old 2010-05-10, 10:17   Link #302
Michael Hopcroft
Embarrassed!

Send a message via AIM to Michael Hopcroft
A bit of a disconnect in Episode 8 -- since when has anyone been able to get good food in a high school cafeteria? Yamabuki High must be more prestigious than we thought!
Old 2010-05-10, 15:14   Link #303
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Hopcroft View Post
A bit of a disconnect in Episode 8 -- since when has anyone been able to get good food in a high school cafeteria? Yamabuki High must be more prestigious than we thought!
I suspect its more like "holiday/festival food sucks less" ... my college food was very institutional (bleh, no matter how you asked for your eggs they arrived over-easy-fried ... that's how I eventually learned to even tolerate them) but once every couple of weeks they had Blueberry Muffin night and there were riots to scarf up as much as possible.

I figured the school was using faux crab though which apparently wasn't so .... that was inverted from what I expected (figured Miss Cooking Queen wouldn't settle for faux crab even on their marginal budget).

Now for some faux crab ramen.....
Old 2010-05-10, 16:58   Link #304
Jiji
*Scanlator

I hadn't ever really thought about it too much, but I guess I assumed that Japan's schools made more of an effort for good food than American ones.

During the occupation, America instituted various practices like the yearly measurements checks and school lunches to combat the horrible malnutrition the war effort imposed upon the people and especially the children. Providing good food just kind of continued along those lines, I assumed.

Then again, a school with a specialized art curriculum like Yamabuki might have more money for better food in general, I suppose.
Jiji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-12, 21:36   Link #305
Michael Hopcroft
Embarrassed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiji View Post
I hadn't ever really thought about it too much, but I guess I assumed that Japan's schools made more of an effort for good food than American ones.

During the occupation, America instituted various practices like the yearly measurements checks and school lunches to combat the horrible malnutrition the war effort imposed upon the people and especially the children. Providing good food just kind of continued along those lines, I assumed.

Then again, a school with a specialized art curriculum like Yamabuki might have more money for better food in general, I suppose.
Then Miyako must be on a pretty good scholarship then, because she could probably never afford the tuition on her own.

I figure the girls get an allowance from the parents in addition to the families paying the rent (which may or may not include utilities) with which to buy groceries and whatnot since they're living on their own. Sae's income either nicely supplements her allowance or replaces part of it, and aside from Miyako's continual near-broke state the girls all seem to have enough money to get by (and even put up with Miyako sponging off them a little). Sae's family doesn't seem to disapprove of her activities all that much -- then again, her parents probably don't know her pseudonym and have thus never read her stories (at least knowing they're from her). Chika doesn't seem to have money problems, though -- she was able to afford a pretty expensive seat at the Kabuki theatre which must have cost about as much as a ticket to a Broadway show.

I think i hear a catgirl screaming, so I'll stop now.
Old 2010-05-13, 18:04   Link #306
SamCurt

Quote:
And the continuation of that scene raises the obvious question: do Sae's parents know she's writing pulpy shoujo-ai for a living?
Maybe I'm missing something, but where in the anime did it show what Sae was writing was shoujo-ai?

Quote:
Then Miyako must be on a pretty good scholarship then, because she could probably never afford the tuition on her own.
Remember she's the kind that is too awesome not to get into.
SamCurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-14, 21:03   Link #307
Jiji
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamCurt View Post
Maybe I'm missing something, but where in the anime did it show what Sae was writing was shoujo-ai?
I'm not totally sure it made it's way into the anime, but in the manga, I *do* recall that Sae's latest was her first attempt at the shoujo-ai genre -- at the insistence of her editor, I think? Up until that, she had been mostly writing romances, especially school romances, something that Hiro loves to tease her about. Maybe someone else knows better than I...
Jiji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-14, 23:57   Link #308
SamCurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiji View Post
I'm not totally sure it made it's way into the anime, but in the manga, I *do* recall that Sae's latest was her first attempt at the shoujo-ai genre -- at the insistence of her editor, I think? Up until that, she had been mostly writing romances, especially school romances, something that Hiro loves to tease her about. Maybe someone else knows better than I...
Good enough.

Well, even if her family knew she wrote shoujou-ai among others, there won't be too... much of a response, as that kind of relationship is quite acceptable to the average Japanese as long as sex is not involved-- after all, we all know Japanese are known to be relatively tolerant towards homosexuality...

Quote:
the rent (which may or may not include utilities)
It does not. In the first chapter (animated s2ep1) Miyako hopped into Yuno's bath because she kept forgetting to pay water bills.

Last edited by SamCurt; 2010-05-15 at 10:44.
Old 2010-05-15, 12:58   Link #309
Michael Hopcroft
Embarrassed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamCurt View Post
Good enough.

Well, even if her family knew she wrote shoujou-ai among others, there won't be too... much of a response, as that kind of relationship is quite acceptable to the average Japanese as long as sex is not involved-- after all, we all know Japanese are known to be relatively tolerant towards homosexuality...
In anime perhaps. Not so much in real life.

Quote:
It does not. In the first chapter (animated s2ep1) Miyako hopped into Yuno's bath because she kept forgetting to pay water bills.
I'm surprised Miyako remembers to pay rent. Or again, perhaps her parents take care of it.

Last edited by Michael Hopcroft; 2010-05-15 at 13:11.
Michael Hopcroft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-15, 18:40   Link #310
SamCurt

Quote:
I'm surprised Miyako remembers to pay rent. Or again, perhaps her parents take care of it.
Or the landlady can bug her into paying.
Old 2010-05-15, 23:25   Link #311
NinjaYali
Banned

Here are some YunoMiyako pics. Bear with me as I'll backspace it later.

Spoiler for Bricks were shat:

Last edited by Pellissier; 2010-05-17 at 02:30. Reason: removed inappropriate content
NinjaYali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-25, 01:05   Link #312
NinjaYali
Banned

I don't recall posting this file yet so here are some HiroxSae and SaexNatsume or all 3. I can't be f-d to get rid of the nsfw pictures cause my net is lagging too much to edit so here it is with nsfw.
Spoiler for Mass distribute pictures for great justice and communism:

Last edited by NinjaYali; 2010-06-01 at 01:38. Reason: Fixing it up by minimising
NinjaYali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-25, 14:19   Link #313
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaYali View Post
I don't recall posting this file yet so here are some HiroxSae and SaexNatsume or all 3. ...

Oye... some great, some terrible --- but this one caught my eye because the artist used a radically different art style yet conveyed the characters so that you knew instantly who was who.
Old 2010-05-25, 19:50   Link #314
Michael Hopcroft
Embarrassed!

Old 2010-05-25, 23:31   Link #315
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

She's such a slightly ditzy free spirit....
Old 2010-05-30, 18:35   Link #316
Michael Hopcroft
Embarrassed!

Old 2010-05-30, 20:36   Link #317
NaweG
Just some guy

Quote:
And the sad thing is, I burst out laughing and then had to explain to my kids (who I've gotten into many other series, but not this one) what the joke was.

My thanks to you regardless
Old 2010-10-23, 20:47   Link #318
omimon
Professional Hikkikomori

The specials have aired so let's do some talking.

BTW shouldn't this thread be in the current series at least for the next two weeks?
omimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-24, 03:57   Link #319
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by omimon View Post
BTW shouldn't this thread be in the current series at least for the next two weeks?
Not really, because they're only special episodes.
Old 2010-10-25, 16:15   Link #320
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

The forum management of a series that comes and goes is a bit inconsistent because it is a bit of a chore to move threads back and forth. Lately they just try to leave a series "current" til all the known special eps are done (e.g. K-ON! which is awaiting a spring DVD episode). Looking forward to these little eps when I get a chance to watch 'em.

Last edited by Vexx; 2010-10-25 at 17:20.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comedy, seinen, shaft, slice of life