AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2019-12-27, 18:31   Link #121
endarion88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
And even those don't always get an ending...

Yeah, I'm honestly just getting so sick of this popular production model in anime where they only give a show one cour (maybe two if we're lucky) and then it just never gets finished. When something as basic as an actually fucking ending to a story is something that I have to be thankful for, that's when I have to seriously question whether seasonal anime is worth it anymore.

And even if they do get continuations, they end up being months or even years down the line when all momentum is already lost. And most of the time, the continuation doesn't resolve anything and you'd have to be even luckier to get a continuation past that. It's so depressing.

[EDIT]

Wait, why did you delete your post?...
because i forgot the topic was for 40+ i'm still 31 i'm age restricted for this >.>
Old 2019-12-27, 19:20   Link #122
ArrowSmith

I found some older anime on the VRV catalog, stuff that came out in the late 90s, early 00s. So for now while still 'nearly done', I still have about 10+ titles in my watchlist.
ArrowSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-12-30, 11:20   Link #123
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Not 40 yet, but I'll echo some of the sentiments from earlier nontheless. There was a certain magic to (good) 24-52 episode (original/semi-original) shows you could invest yourself in, that 12+12 shows just dont have (especially all the "24min Tv ad for X" anime). Even if its 24 (break) 24 it still feels off. Like, I like Hakyuu but it's totally different if it was a story that's not "12 part episodes" with some global objective, but something grander instead (fortunately its based on a manga). On that note, it may just be me, but a lot of newer 24 episode shows really give the feeling they're just 24 episodes for the sake of being 24 episodes. No depth to show for it.

Anime is at it's best when its more of an epic tale, rather then a... "something-something and then! more something-something". Same for your comedies and slice of life, ballz to the wall crazy is way more effective then wishy washy "its anime because its drawn and not filmed, and thats about it".

If anything, good writers and good material is whats dropped off a cliff. I dont universally hate isekai, but I do admit, it sure has made everything cookie cutter hell. It's sad but these days I have higher hopes of getting my dose of anime epic from games (jrpgs) and novels rather then anime. It doesn't help that after franchises like gundam & dragonball, the generation after (naruto, bleach) while not poisoning the well per se did a lot of things that kind of made everyone not want to see "another one of those" ever again. And then afterwards Fairy Tail, Black Clover, etc didnt exactly fix shit, if anything made it worse. I dont want to make it sound all gloom and doom, since great series like 7 deadly sins, attack on titan, and some others (I'm told heroaca is good) exist, but that's just how it is. The damage will take some time (and change in attitude) to heal up. But given the general attitude of the decade has been "how to take ZERO risks and squeeze the most money at ANY cost" I dont expect change to be with us anytime soon. ...fortunately I have a huge ever-growing backlog of decent stuff to keep me warm.
Old 2020-01-01, 21:39   Link #124
ArrowSmith

To me, Attack on Titan is the TV Anime of the Decade. However that papers over a lot of really bad stuff.

My other honorable mentions: Psycho Pass, Shin Sekai Yori, Madoka Magica, Aku No Hana, Watamote, Knights of Sidonia, Ajin: Demi Human, Kakegurui

The worst 'innovation' of this decade has to be the absurd Isekai genre. Even though there are arcs of SAO I like, the entire world would be better off w/o it and all of the other ones. Yeah I'm looking at you - Re: Zero.
Old 2020-03-03, 23:17   Link #125
jdotaku

I feel like we have had a lot of the same content for a long time we just have more of it now-so much I can't keep up if I wanted to. Which I don't most of it is trash. I enjoyed the old stuff on vhs and the fansubs I got via torrent here back in the day I'll likely rewatch and share those with new fans and watch the occasional good show like vinland saga, dororo etc
jdotaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-03-04, 00:44   Link #126
ArrowSmith

I wish there were more shows like The Perfect Insider or Death Note. I'm really pissed AJIN: Demi Human hasn't got a 3rd season.
Old 2020-03-06, 23:17   Link #127
Dr. Casey

I'm not 40, but I'm not too far from it. Still love anime and I doubt that will change in the next seven years.