AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2009-11-01, 15:05   Link #41
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayoab View Post
Except the way most people are watching it is completely different in many different ways from the way Japanese viewers are consuming it. I agree with Vexx's point that they need to make it available, but the problem is it is too widely available illegally. There are some anime episodes on youtube with view numbers that would make a company have the #1 selling DVD of the year if even 1% of those people bought it.
Actually in Sunrise and Bandai's case they are making their recent shows as available as possible as soon as possible legally by attempting to simulcast with series and movies pre-dubbed in both English and Japanese and in some cases other languages. Not to mention efforts to make their shows available on various popular streaming sites and the PSN either for fair prices or for free. The reason they and other groups like Ghibli and Toho want to cut down on fansubbing seems simply to be that they don't want it to cut into their own legal efforts to provide subbed and dubbed series in other territories, which I can kind of support as reasonable. Especially since Bandai Visual is now closed down with it's awful Japanese market prices that they were attempting to sell to American Consumers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Sinner View Post
The industry is starting to doing that at the moment, though. Bakemonogatari intentionally didn't fill all the scenes on its screenings. K-ON! had intentionally lowered picture quality and altered scenes. Recent shows like Sacred Blacksmith and Saki are intentionally censoring and promising uncensored versions on the DVD/Blu-Ray releases. Bake and K-ON! had the biggest first volume sales in Japan this year thanks to those gimmicks (56k and 41k respectively). Sacred Blacksmith rose from the 1100s to the 200s on Amazon pre-orders positioning after news of an uncensored release. The industry is wisening up somewhat. They are beginning to come up with ways to make people buy their product.

That said, whether this gimmick will work in the long term is yet to be seen. The only series in the last few weeks that has had notables DVD sales is Hetalia Axis Powers, which has consistently hit around 20k sales each volume, which is a fair achievement considering almost any series this year has struggled to crack 10k in that format. K-ON!'s latest volume struggled to reach 5k. Would be interesting to see some accurate Blu-Ray numbers but the two competing firms don't like to show numbers much, only positioning. Notably, the majority of Bake and K-ON! sales have been on Blu-Ray.

If this is true (and it wouldn't surprise me to learn that K-On had yet another gimmick attached to it's name) then I think it would be the entirely the wrong way to go about an anti-piracy effort for the global market even if it appears to be commercially viable for the Japanese one. People shouldn't be denied the full product as a protective measure, but should have the best possible product with the most options for obtaining it legally made available to them in their region ASAP. Again I realize that otaku don't necessarily care about that sort of thing and will buy anything they like at exorbitant prices, but I'd love to see the same thing pulled in the Region 1 market and how well it goes over.

Last edited by Kaioshin Sama; 2009-11-01 at 15:17.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-01, 15:18   Link #42
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0utf0xZer0 View Post
I think most companies would want a little more product differentiation than simply "the pay version lacks ads", particularly since you can just fast forward with most media players. I don't think it's a coincidence that Funimation - whose business model is still DVD based - only streams it's stuff in 640X360 resolution. Keeping the image quality of streams lower than the DVD might be more important to them than competiting with fansubbers who work in HD.
That's fine too. I know many people are all crazy for HD, but I figure most people just want to watch the story, the HD is just a bonus.

The point is that if they want people to stop distributing copies over the internet they need to provide a product that is equally cheap and convenient to access on demand. That's the main advantage that internet distribution has.

Consider that things like iTunes and Pandora have done more to reduce the illegal distribution of music online than any court cases.

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Sackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-01, 16:23   Link #43
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sackett View Post
That's fine too. I know many people are all crazy for HD, but I figure most people just want to watch the story, the HD is just a bonus.

The point is that if they want people to stop distributing copies over the internet they need to provide a product that is equally cheap and convenient to access on demand. That's the main advantage that internet distribution has.

Consider that things like iTunes and Pandora have done more to reduce the illegal distribution of music online than any court cases.
I'm aware that HD is a bonus. But I would say that "comparable to DVD" is a pretty standard expectation for image quality nowadays, so it's really hard to both meet expectations and not undercut the DVD market.

I do agree on the need for official downloadable versions - I've seen what Steam did for PC gaming, after all - I'm just not sure that ad supported is the way to go. Especially since you can fast forward very easily in the average media player. Yeah, you're going to earn a little revenue, but I'm not sure it's really any better than CrunchyRoll's business model is. At least they give people some incentives to subscribe.

Signature courtesy of Ganbaru.
0utf0xZer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-01, 16:30   Link #44
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0utf0xZer0 View Post
I'm aware that HD is a bonus. But I would say that "comparable to DVD" is a pretty standard expectation for image quality nowadays, so it's really hard to both meet expectations and not undercut the DVD market.

I do agree on the need for official downloadable versions - I've seen what Steam did for PC gaming, after all - I'm just not sure that ad supported is the way to go. Especially since you can fast forward very easily in the average media player. Yeah, you're going to earn a little revenue, but I'm not sure it's really any better than CrunchyRoll's business model is. At least they give people some incentives to subscribe.
Well they probably ought to have downloadable versions (in HD) similar to the iTunes model, but ads can work too. Comedy Central for example has is set up so you can't fast forward through the ads, and since they only have 2x 10 second ads (at two different spots so the show is never interrupted more than 10 secs) it's not nearly annoying as watching TV.

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Sackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-01, 16:42   Link #45
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sackett View Post
Well they probably ought to have downloadable versions (in HD) similar to the iTunes model, but ads can work too. Comedy Central for example has is set up so you can't fast forward through the ads, and since they only have 2x 10 second ads (at two different spots so the show is never interrupted more than 10 secs) it's not nearly annoying as watching TV.
Isn't this a streaming rather than download based model though?

(I'm not familiar with Comedy Central's online stuff, since I live a few miles north of the US border and therefore have been locked out of the little bit of stuff I tried.)

Signature courtesy of Ganbaru.
0utf0xZer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-06-06, 17:50   Link #46
AnimeFan188

Japan bans pirated manga downloads with copyright control law:

"The Diet on Friday enacted a revised anti-online piracy law to tighten copyright
control, banning illicit downloading of manga, magazines and academic texts, in
addition to music and videos that were already covered by the existing legislation.

The law also regulates “leech websites” that provide users hyperlinks to download so-
called torrent files of pirated materials. The ban on illegal downloading will take effect
on Jan. 1 next year, while restrictions on leech sites will come into effect on Oct. 1.

The law revision came as the country saw a rising number of piracy and leech
websites, notably the Mangamura site, which had over 100 million hits a month
before being disabled in April 2018, causing an estimated loss of more than ¥300
billion ($2.75 billion) to publishers.

Mangamura hosted unauthorized copies of popular manga titles, including “Attack on
Titan” and “One Piece.”"

See:

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/20...ted-manga-ban/
AnimeFan188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-06-06, 19:49   Link #47
Nostxlgia
Root

I'm truly grateful for fansubbing because it is one of the main reasons that I watch anime today, altough it is indeed "piracy"

But today we have different platforms where can share these things globally and even if these platforms cost a little bit I think it is important that they exist. Because I love watching anime I also want to help it grow, I don't mind paying for that reason. There are thousands of anime-fans out there, if this can benefit the studios of course they'll try anything to make that possible.
Nostxlgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-06-06, 20:20   Link #48
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

I grew up with fansubs, so I'd root for them over something like Crunchyroll taking a whole bunch of broadcast rights or whatever.

Also, frankly, even if more money rolls into the animation companies, I have doubts on who pockets that money.

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-06-06, 23:29   Link #49
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

I'm still amazed that industry figures are worried about "estimated losses" caused by piracy and still give less than ¼ of the revenue to animation studios.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-06-07, 02:29   Link #50
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus H. View Post
I'm still amazed that industry figures are worried about "estimated losses" caused by piracy and still give less than ¼ of the revenue to animation studios.
Well duh, large corpos are generally full of shit

BTW I still cannot figure out how Japanese rewatch their anime. If they don't record it when it airs on TV what do they do? Because very few actually buy Blurays often due to how stupidly expensive they are. I guess there's video disc rental but it doesn't seem very popular either....

Last edited by Cosmic Eagle; 2020-06-07 at 02:43.
Cosmic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-06-07, 04:56   Link #51
0cean
Transfer Adventurer

Why would you buy something you know nothing about? Here, I've got a box with something inside, will you pay me $300 to find out if what's inside is any good? You'd have to be an idiot to do this.

Piracy is free advertising. It gets the word out that this exists and also whether it is any good. Without knowing both, that it exists and that it is good, I wouldn't purchase anything. But those two things are only necessary for me to buy anything, they are not sufficient. I also need to have enough money, for example.

The industry is fighting the flow of time instead of riding the wave. It's a recipe for failure.
Especially since in recent years Korea and China have caught up in the Manga space and for China it could be only a matter of time before they catch up in the animation department, too. If those two countries play their cards right, it could lead to the irrelevancy of Manga in the next few decades.

It's especially weird, since the gaming industry has already figured out how to utilise micro-transactions to rake in the money. Japan could distribute Manga online and charge per chapter and make more money than they could dream of. Psychologically people are more willing to pay a dollar 150 times than to pay $100 one time.

Well, whatever. The same thing happened to American TV makers, who were made irrelevant by the Japanese innovating and producing better TVs back in the days.