AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2006-11-01, 10:53   Link #81
fiberOptiC
LunarAnime video wizard

There is no "HD" version of episode 2 because the capper decided to capture something else that aired at the same time. He will continue to capture Bartender at 1280x720 when it doesn't conflict with that. Its not about the budget of the show, its about the resolution its broadcast at in HD and what the capper encodes it at. We will put out the hi-res ones when we can, and do a lower res when there is no raw available. Mr VacBob, 1024x576 is not high-res enough. For those of you worrying about playing it, try it. You'd be surprised what your system can handle. (You might have to close the 20 windows of firefox first though.)
fiberOptiC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-01, 10:56   Link #82
leonaheidern

actually I would prefer if there was a avi version. Reason being is I convert the anime to pmp vlc to watch on the PSP when I'm out of the house. Avi converts to pmp in 1 step compared to having to demux the mka and subtitles in virtualdub first then converting to avi before I can start converting to pmp format.

I only have a single core Hyper Threading Enabled P4 3.0 ghz. And a 17 inch LCD monitor that I prefer to have on 1024X768 resolution. Reason being that I find things on 1280X768 really small and hard to read.

I really do not want to upgrade to a core duo before the end of 2007.
leonaheidern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-01, 11:35   Link #83
Skane
Anime Snark

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiberOptiC View Post
~ For those of you worrying about playing it, try it. You'd be surprised what your system can handle. (You might have to close the 20 windows of firefox first though.)
Oh believe me when I say I have tried playing video files that are of 1024x768 resolution or higher. From Shakugan no Shana to Inukami( when I try out their 'larger' versions), they all stutter on my PC, whether I use MPC or VLC. My PC simply does not have the CPU power necessary to play such files.

Unless Lunar has blessed their files with pixie dust or something, which I doubt very much, since they themselves said that you need a strong CPU to play the file. Not everybody has a CPU that is 2.4GHz+

Narf.
Old 2006-11-01, 13:03   Link #84
Mr VacBob
yotsuba channel

Send a message via AIM to Mr VacBob
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiberOptiC View Post
There is no "HD" version of episode 2 because the capper decided to capture something else that aired at the same time. He will continue to capture Bartender at 1280x720 when it doesn't conflict with that.
Yes, I know that. I try not to ever make anything that wouldn't play on my last computer, though, which was only 1024x768.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leonaheidern View Post
actually I would prefer if there was a avi version.
http://kokiri.ithinksw.net/pub/Barte...5bADTRW%5d.avi

Try not to download that a zillion times.
Mr VacBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-01, 15:02   Link #85
fiberOptiC
LunarAnime video wizard

You should also take into account that Bartender is not a high action anime. It doesn't take that much to play. If you can't play it, find someone else sub of it. Just because its a larger size and requires more to play it doesn't make is sub quality Mr VacBob. I did put in the name of the file that its 1280x720 encoded with x264 for a reason. If your system can't handle it, thats your issue and not mine.
fiberOptiC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-01, 18:04   Link #86
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

I would suggest that if anyone is having problems playing Lunar's Bartender, there is a good chance that their problem can be solved by CoreAVC. It costs $10, but that isn't much money for a decoder that handle h264 so much better than ffdshow. CCCP is inferior to CoreAVC (for playing h264), and on their wiki they estimate that it is about 30% faster than their decoder. It solved my problems playing back huge h264 encodes and it might help you also.

In case anyone is curious, this is the raving of the converted who wants to save others from the horror of not being able to play HD h264 encodes.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-01, 18:57   Link #87
Amaranthine

As cold as it may seem, it really isn't the fansubber's problem. They're only subbing it because they want to, they'll do it how they want, etc. It's up to them whether they release it in a format that everyone can watch or whether they release it like this, and they're not going to be concerned by anything anyone might say about it. I'm not exactly happy, since I do very much want to watch this series and my computer can't handle it quite properly, but that's life. I'll just hope someone else does it. I somehow felt like posting this, since I've seen more than my share of people bitching about it today. (That's not directed at anyone here, don't worry.) NoSanninWa's suggestion is a good one, although I fear that like myself, some of those with crappy computers are also people, who... well... don't have any money to spare. :/

In a somewhat related note (as it may be pleasing to those having problems with Lunar's sub), the first chapter of the manga has been scanlated (by Anonymous and Anonymous of 4chan's /a/). I guess many of you will know this, but there'll be people who don't. Wouldn't want them to miss out. It's great stuff, and hopefully the demand will be enough for more to be completed, or for a real group to pick it up. It has a different atmosphere to the anime, but it works equally well, and in a similar way. Download here.

Anyway... this anime is simply perfect for me. Watching anime is often what I do when I want to relax, and I doubt there's much more relaxing than this. Also, I'm a great fan of bars (or pubs) and the healing properties of alcohol. In particular, the image of the quiet, peaceful bar late at night struck a chord with me. I almost feel like I'm a little young to appreciate it so fully, but that's just what I'm like.

Regardless of personal aspects, it's... pleasant. There's really not better word to describe it. Certainly not for everyone, but likely to be loved by those it is for. It also seems to me that it's comfortable with what it is. Nothing groundbreaking, not the big new thing, not especially deep of meaningful. Just a simple show with a simple purpose. Similarly, it seems rather pointless to criticise it or point out its flaws. It's the kind of show you watch to take a break from all that, the same way you go to a bar to take a break and forget about your everyday life... it doesn't matter, just like your troubles don't matter when you're having a quiet drink. Honestly, I'm not sure I've ever seen anything that captures that feeling so well. I think it's clear to all that I'm in love with it...
Amaranthine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-01, 22:20   Link #88
Maceart
Doremi-fansubs founder
*Fansubber

None of my computers run Lunar's version, so guess I'll stick with ADRTW.

Anyway, Bartender is a nice, slow and relaxing one episode story arc anime. A great refresher from all these action/bishoujo game anime of the fall season.

AIR 2005! Kanon 2006! CLANNAD 2007-2008! Planetarian OAV/Movie 2010?
Maceart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-01, 22:32   Link #89
exedore
Zentradi Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maceart View Post
None of my computers run Lunar's version, so guess I'll stick with ADRTW.
ADTRW implied on the AnimeWorldOrder blog that they're only going to sub the first episode. Looks like it's Lunar or nothing.
exedore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-01, 23:35   Link #90
leonaheidern

Thanks for the avi version. Actually does anyone have a 1 step software that allows you to reencode to avi from MKV. Winnydows' Xvid4PSP cannot work on mkv files sadly. It dosen't seem to find the audio and video.

If I can get that to work its just a matter of selecting bitrate on video and audio on a pretty GUI and pressing start.

Also MKV dosen't play on anything but a computer or at least a MCE enabled pc. Kinda sucks that my AVIX hdd player from Sarotech dosen't play mkv files. I'd like to bring the player around to my neighbours house and watch on his 24 inch LCD tv. And since my brother in law likes alcohol and has a 32 inch plasma TV, 1280X768 would look gorgeous on his tv. but my HDD player lets me down unfortunately. File size isn't a problem the HDD in the player has 30GB of space.

I really wouldn't mind in investing in a portable player that plays mkv though. Rather than a coreduo laptop which is way out of budget.
leonaheidern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-02, 09:53   Link #91
lordblazer
Radical Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skane View Post
Oh believe me when I say I have tried playing video files that are of 1024x768 resolution or higher. From Shakugan no Shana to Inukami( when I try out their 'larger' versions), they all stutter on my PC, whether I use MPC or VLC. My PC simply does not have the CPU power necessary to play such files.

Unless Lunar has blessed their files with pixie dust or something, which I doubt very much, since they themselves said that you need a strong CPU to play the file. Not everybody has a CPU that is 2.4GHz+

Narf.
I do :P, but seriously thats a good reason to hate .mkv. Also its a lot easier to just have it as .avi because its a pretty simple file, and the size seems to be smaller. I find .mkv unneccessary, but I think people do it to get on other peoples nerves or to serve a specific audience.
lordblazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-02, 10:36   Link #92
Skane
Anime Snark

???? What does the screen resolution have to do with the file format?

I happen to like .MKV files and the h264 format. I'm just amongst the unfortunate that cannot play HD-files.

Cheers.
Old 2006-11-02, 10:57   Link #93
Mentar
Banned

I bet that the majority complaining about being unable to play HD files actually could - with CoreAVC. As an example, Lunar's Bartender 1 hits 99% right away on my Pentium M 1.6 GHz (Centrino) laptop using ffdshow (in other words, CCCP), but with CoreAVC it's playing back easily averaging at 50-60% CPU. I'd be willing to estimate that anybody with a CPU of 2 GHz and above should be able to play HD encodes with it.

We're talking about the huge investment of 9.95 US$ here, which translates to one movie or two burgers with a coke. Just to put things in perspective. And in return, a world of hi-quality anime can open up to you.

And to avoid misunderstandings: I have no links whatsoever to the CoreAVC people, in fact I'm CCCP staff. But credit where credit is due, and while the overall visual quality of the h264 playback is slightly lower on CoreAVC, the enormous playback speed can not be denied.

One final hint: More than once I've heard people complain that after installing CoreAVC, the playback didn't speed up at all. In all these cases, the user forgot to disable ffdshow's/CCCP's playback for CoreAVC, so it automatically took precedence over it. A link explaining how to quickly set up CoreAVC properly can be found here.
Mentar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-02, 11:02   Link #94
lordblazer
Radical Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skane View Post
???? What does the screen resolution have to do with the file format?

I happen to like .MKV files and the h264 format. I'm just amongst the unfortunate that cannot play HD-files.

Cheers.
WEll I commented on yours by saying I do and doing this :P, and then I went on passed your quote, and started my own statement. Sorry for no speperating the paragraph lol I'm stressed out as of recently.(University student)
lordblazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-02, 18:20   Link #95
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentar View Post
We're talking about the huge investment of 9.95 US$ here, which translates to one movie or two burgers with a coke. Just to put things in perspective. And in return, a world of hi-quality anime can open up to you.
Listen to the man. For the price of a bargain bin DVD, almost everyone can play high definition h264.

I couldn't play HD h264 either, until I got CoreAVC, but now I have no problem with anything except for LuPerry's stupid softsubbed karaoke. (What they heck was he thinking?)

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-02, 18:24   Link #96
Ptolemi
Banned

I do not see where the show will go with a guy making drinks and POOF the customer is fine... but mabe it will be good we will see
Ptolemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-02, 20:36   Link #97
pathyfinder
Terabyte needs anime!

Ptolemim thanks for the Badger avi! It's been awhile since I've seen them

Well, I guess my compy sucks As I'm way to dam cheap to buy something to fix it

However, I Did realy enjoy this First episode. it just sucked me in and I can't wait to see what else there will be!

It's pretty funny why I d/l to begin with, if I see a new series with a ton of seeds/peers I figure there's something worth d/ling if all those peps are Even while working full time now, I save some time to watch what I d/l lately.... anime it's my stress releaser

Last edited by pathyfinder; 2006-11-02 at 21:19. Reason: there will be 11 eps-sorry for asking
pathyfinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-02, 20:57   Link #98
Ptolemi
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pathyfinder View Post
Ptolemim thanks for the Badger avi! It's been awhile since I've seen them

Well, I guess my compy sucks As I'm way to dam cheap to buy something to fix it

However, I Did realy enjoy this First episode. it just sucked me in and I can't wait to see what else there will be!

It's pretty funny why I d/l to begin with, if I see a new series with a ton of seeds/peers I figure there's something worth d/ling if all those peps are Even while working full time now, I save some time to watch what I d/l lately.... anime it's my stress releaser I'm sorry if it's been said, but how many eps will Bartender be?

Welcome!!!

Now make your Hinata one have her head explode as she peeks out of the door or tree or w/e that is.
Ptolemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-03, 03:54   Link #99
Maceart
Doremi-fansubs founder
*Fansubber

Well, I'm using CoreAVC and on my Athlon 3000+ (Barton) it lags horribly. And there's no point lugging out my laptop to watch one ep, so I guess i'll stick with ADRTW, or perhaps just reencode the file then.

Anyway, episode 2 was great! The reverse story telling was pretty unique.

AIR 2005! Kanon 2006! CLANNAD 2007-2008! Planetarian OAV/Movie 2010?
Maceart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-03, 05:36   Link #100
Skane
Anime Snark

Thumbs up

Ep02 was great. A bit of sadness and stuff, but overall it was touching. I like how they rope in the history into the story. Most of the OP characters make their debut in this episode as well.

Cheers.