AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-06-25, 22:28   Link #1281
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Another satisfying series' conclusion from Sliver Link These guys just keep impressing me time after time, and I expect the same experience for their next project in [Kokoro Connect]

But God was that an emotional roller-coaster ride throughout the entire episode (That damn near perfect insert song gets me emotional every time ) After all they've been through I would say this is one series whose couple deserves it's happy end.
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-25, 22:31   Link #1282
justsomeguy

This was the most frustrating show to watch this season. Yuuko had so many issues that the plot and her relationship with Teiichi seemed like it was always taking one step forward and two back. Then there was episode 6. Was Kirishima really so stupid that she couldn't realize she was putting herself in danger? Yuuko's tragic backstory and sacrifice was the best episode, but the way Silver Link presented it by superimposing Teiichi over the scenes was silly and distracting from the intended emotions there were supposed to be. And now there's the finale, where after all that melodrama about disappearing, Yuuko just comes back. This show's not a comedy, but it desperately needed a bit more humor, which the first episode was great at. Too bad there wasn't much more of those antics. The rest of the show was just cheesy drama and cheesy romance.

7/10?

Currently playing: LoH Trails in the Sky SC
justsomeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-25, 22:53   Link #1283
kujoe
from head to heel

I definitely think this anime ends on a high and positive note overall.

As a whole, it's definitely a rollercoaster of a series... but a good one in my opinion. The flashback episode which touches upon Yuuko's past is one of the few moments in anime where I felt such palpable tension, despite kind of knowing what to already expect. The final episode itself is rife with bittersweet melodrama, and I felt despite the heavy-handedness of it all, that it was on the verge of an excellent finish.

Of course, the true end to the story doesn't stop there, but I'm still satisfied with the reversal. I just felt awarded for staying put for the ride. It would be interesting to see how their relationship develops as Niiya grows older with the cheerful ghost by his side.

I might read up on the manga again now that I'm done with the anime (only read the first few chapters), but it would be difficult to move on from the great art direction of the series. All in all, I'd say this is probably one of my favourites from this season.
kujoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-25, 23:06   Link #1284
GrimJack

Quote:
Originally Posted by kujoe View Post

I might read up on the manga now that I'm done with the anime, but it would be difficult to move on from the great art direction of the series.
as far as I can tell they were highly influenced by Maybe's colour pages and tank cover in the visual impact of the Anime.

an example

Old 2012-06-25, 23:13   Link #1285
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimJack View Post
as far as I can tell they were highly influenced by Maybe's colour pages and tank cover in the visual impact of the Anime.
I think you're quite right, but I can also see the distinct influence of other shows this director worked on, and the ef series in particular. I think it was a very good match of staff, concept/theme, and art style.
Old 2012-06-26, 02:08   Link #1286
EroKing

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
It wasn't that she wanted a last kiss, it's that that last kiss became the seed of her regret (it broke her resolve). You'll remember that she had steeled herself from the beginning that she had to say goodbye, and that's why she was disappearing (because she had decided it was time to go -- it's not like it's some rule). And when Teiichi finally convinced her to let him stay with her to the end (at the pool), she was crying and said "you'll make me lose my resolve". This was foreshadowing for the ending. Everything was going well again as they said their last goodbyes (she steeled herself again), but then when they shared her last kiss, it broke her resolve again. She couldn't enter heaven because that kiss made her regret leaving Teiichi behind. And so, that's why she came back, this time presumably not bound to the school (since her body, along with the truth, had long since been discovered and buried), but bound more to Teiichi, the source of her regret.

(Edit 2: I should say the way she's literally bound is obviously not clear; she may still be bound to the school even though Teiichi "brought he back". She's probably the one who cleaned-up the clubroom, because she had to have set the "trap" for Teiichi to open. So she would have been there when he wasn't around, which means she's not so bound to him that she can't leave his side or has to go with him everywhere. This part's not clear, but perhaps they'll show more in Episode 13 on the BDs, if it's in fact a follow-up episode.)

I don't think it's known yet (edit: when it'll appear). It should be shipping on one of the CDs that will be included with the Japanese Blu-Ray release, I would think.

Edit: By the way, just noticed: during the credits, just before Yuuko gives Teiichi the kiss on the floor, the skull that falls off the desk is blushing.
I thought it was obvious the biggest regret would be leaving Teiichi and simply a kiss or two isn't enough for her if you what I mean
Old 2012-06-26, 02:28   Link #1287
Gohan78
Awakened One

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumbayker View Post
And having a happy ending doesn't come naturally for this anime? Oh please.
I think that a relationship between a living human and a ghost is unnatural (it doesn't help that I dislike both the main characters).
Even if Yuuko now haunts Teiichi himself, he is still stuck with a wife who nobody else can see and who can never give him children. Their union will never be recognized by the rest of the world. Let's not talk about what happens if he becomes tired of Yuuko's antics. Sorry, no divorce for you, sir.

Quote:
Just because there was an initial emotional build-up doesn't necessarily have to conclude with a sad end.
I think that a sad or bittersweet end would have fit the show better and would have left a lasting impression on the viewer, alas they chose the easy way out.
By your own reasoning: being a comedy doesn't necessarily mean that it must conclude with a perfect happy end.
(De Vermis Mysteriis)
Gohan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-26, 02:56   Link #1288
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gohan78 View Post
I think that a sad or bittersweet end would have fit the show better and would have left a lasting impression on the viewer, alas they chose the easy way out.
By your own reasoning: being a comedy doesn't necessarily mean that it must conclude with a perfect happy end.
I can understand what you mean about preferring a bittersweet ending. But remember that the main plot of this show was about figuring out the deal with Yuuko's past, and this bit about disappearing only came up at the very end of Episode 11. The show has otherwise spent a lot of time working through issues that threatened to tear the couple apart, and just when they finally resolved them (so the couple can finally be together!), now it's this one last unfair twist of fate that threatens to do them in. So I don't really know if having Yuuko disappear is really in the spirit of the show, except in the sense of "Yuuko's a ghost, and the unwritten rule says that ghosts should disappear when their issues are resolved". You could also argue that having Yuuko disappear at the end cheapens all the hurdles they overcame so far, particularly if Teiichi is asked/forced to forget all about her; "it's better to have loved and lost" is poetic, but not if it's just for the sake of us the viewers. So far this is a story about love that overcomes trials, and I think you could say that even the last episode was one final trial that stood in the way. Overcoming it is like "triumph over the grave", so to speak.

It would be different if the main thrust of the story all along had been "resolving Yuuko's issues so that she can rest in peace", but I never really got the sense that this was ever on anyone's mind, particularly Teiichi as he fell further and further in love with her. If they wanted to make that a plot point, then you would think he (and the other characters) would have been conflicted sooner: like, "maybe I should stop looking for clues, because if we find all the answers Yuuko may disappear for good". But that was never the point, and was never brought up as an issue. The goal was never to help Yuuko pass on, just to figure things out and resolve the matters at hand.

So all that to say, if I really want to point to where the fault is in the overall narrative, I would have to say it's not the very ending, but the fact that they introduced this "sudden death" (pun intended? ) element just for the last episode. The actual main plot of the anime ended with episode 11, with Yuuko's two sides reunited and the mysteries of the past resolved. But rather than have the entire last episode be an epilogue that went out on a light note, they chose to go for something a bit more dramatic. I, for one, still appreciated it because of the beautiful way it was presented (the end justifies the means? no wait... ), but honestly I would argue the very ending was more fitting for the story overall... if not for the fact that they had just previously tried to "trick us" into believing otherwise.

In any case, I'm sure saying all this is probably isn't going to change anyone's feelings about it, because it really comes down to how you reacted to the show's "deception". Personally, as I alluded to before, while I agree that a heartbreaking ending would have had a certain poetic/"haunting" () quality, I find those sorts of endings draining and make me less likely to watch the show again. As it stands, I've rewatched the last episode a number of times now (including the very end), and it still manages to have dramatic impact due to the presentation, and leave a smile on my face. So it works for me.
Old 2012-06-26, 03:16   Link #1289
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Actually, I can't remember the last time a love story involving a ghost ended happily, so I guess this is stepping out of tradition ?

Mah in any case who know what the future would bring? Teiichi is still young, maybe one day he could properly let go of Yuuko... Maybe Yuuko wouldn't mind Teiichi marrying her grand niece... Maybe Teiichi dies young in a fiery car accident ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DezoPenguin View Post
where if it had ended bittersweetly I'd have said, "Well, that was entertaining" and walked away.
Those are my feelings are well; it's hard for me to watch shows a second time when you know it has a bittersweet ending...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somnus View Post
For those wondering about the insert song, all I know is that it's called Requiem by Nao Hiiragi. I haven't been able to find any info on a single release though. To sate my craving for it I ripped what I could from a live action PV someone posted a while back (might've been this thread, can't remember). Still dying for the whole thing though!
According to Gendou, the release date for the single is the 25th of July (same as 'Platinum Disco' lol) or in other words a full month from now.
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-26, 04:10   Link #1290
hyl
reading #hikaributts

In some way the "happy end" was slightly unexpected due to this episode's buildup , but i liked it. For some reason i am glad that it end up this way, because i have been rereading 2 depressing visual novels with bittersweet endings (including one with ghosts). Otherwise it would have depressed me more
hyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-26, 04:11   Link #1291
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
According to Gendou, the release date for the single is the 25th of July (same as 'Platinum Disco' lol) or in other words a full month from now.
Yup, found it on the artist's website - it'll be included on the Bonus CD included with the second DVD/Blu-Ray volume (on the 25th of July, as you said). It won't be sold separately as a single for now.
Old 2012-06-26, 04:40   Link #1292
Qikz

That ending was so good. Cried like a baby when she disappeared. T_T
Qikz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-26, 05:05   Link #1293
Randrak42
ANEGO Worshiper

As much as I liked this ending, I'm really hoping the manga's ending is different from the anime's. The thing is, this ending can still easily be done in the manga. I know Maybe won't do a carbon copy but he can still use it as a base and I'm just hoping that if he actually does...it doesn't get the happy "I'm back!" part...or at least don't make us go through the whole bittersweet oh so damned heartbreaking bit for nothing like in the anime.
Randrak42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-26, 06:11   Link #1294
Evil_Sephiroth

Send a message via MSN to Evil_Sephiroth
As usual i read the spoiler before watch the episode (no problem for me)

But the damn music during the disappear scene make me cry.....
Old 2012-06-26, 06:17   Link #1295
Qikz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post

Oh sweet hjfreaks (the bass player) has found some other like minded people to play with. He's really, really good at bass. So happy for him.

That vocalist is amazing too.
Qikz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-26, 07:27   Link #1296
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

I finally saw episode 11 and 12 together. And i have to say.... the anime made me cry and made me feel heartwarming.

Teiichi unable to talk to Yuko while she can't see him was heartbreaking but none more so than his talk with Shadow Yuko. I could feel both their pain on how Shadow Yuko was forced to bear all of Yuko's hate and no one will love her and Teiichi's pain of seeing her suffer and accepting her as she is also the Yuko he loves. The most tear jerking scene was Teiichi and Yuko's date. Their last moments together made me cry hard as Teiichi desperately tries to hold onto her while trying to promise her he will forget her and move on was too much for me. The kiss didn't help.

And then much to my surprise and joy, Yuko returns!

While the anime change some parts of the story of the manga, the anime prove to be a masterpiece and entertaining. This was one of the best supernatural love stories i watched.

10 out of 10!

Hopefully the manga has the same kind of ending as well.
Old 2012-06-26, 10:13   Link #1297
-Sho-
~Omedetô~

It's not a bad ending , it was quite entertaining to watch.
Honestly , if it was a sad ending , it wouldn't bother me.
-Sho- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-26, 10:37   Link #1298
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Damn...such a wonderful ep. Yuuko-san...you couldn't pass on because of a kiss? What if you went all the way with Teiichi then?

And lol poor skull even now the wound on its head remains....

Dammit Yuuko, stop wetting others' eyes like this...
Old 2012-06-26, 10:43   Link #1299
Gohan78
Awakened One

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
I can understand what you mean about preferring a bittersweet ending. But remember that the main plot of this show was about figuring out the deal with Yuuko's past, and this bit about disappearing only came up at the very end of Episode 11. The show has otherwise spent a lot of time working through issues that threatened to tear the couple apart, and just when they finally resolved them (so the couple can finally be together!), now it's this one last unfair twist of fate that threatens to do them in.
Well, the threat of Yuuko disappearing is implicit in her condition of being a ghost. This is a girl who died 60 years ago we are talking about. Her very presence in this world is unnatural.

Quote:
You could also argue that having Yuuko disappear at the end cheapens all the hurdles they overcame so far, particularly if Teiichi is asked/forced to forget all about her; "it's better to have loved and lost" is poetic, but not if it's just for the sake of us the viewers.
I don't find this to be an issue. In the bittersweet ending the "sweet" part is that Yuuko finally finds peace and ascends to heaven. You can end the show with Teiichi praying on Yuuko's tomb and promising her to live on.

There are many other possibilities to have a decent finale without Yuuko remaining in this world.
One possibility I had in mind is the "reincarnation" ending: 13 years later, Teiichi becomes a teacher in the same middle school and on the very first day he meets a girl identical to Yuuko.
Another possibility is Yuuko giving the green light to her grand-niece Kirie to date Teiichi in her stead.

Quote:
But rather than have the entire last episode be an epilogue that went out on a light note, they chose to go for something a bit more dramatic. I, for one, still appreciated it because of the beautiful way it was presented (the end justifies the means? no wait... )
I don't appreciate when an episode spends 3/4 of its running time mourning a character who is then immediately resurrected. What was the point?

Quote:
As it stands, I've rewatched the last episode a number of times now (including the very end), and it still manages to have dramatic impact due to the presentation, and leave a smile on my face. So it works for me.
This mediocre show doesn't deserve even a single rewatch IMHO, barring the visuals which were excellent.
On that note, I will never understand people who rewatch the same episode many times in a row. Don't you get bored watching the same scenes again and again? I'd rather spend my limited time watching new shows, but that's just me...
(De Vermis Mysteriis)
Gohan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-26, 11:00   Link #1300
Ray
Garnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gohan78 View Post
On that note, I will never understand people who rewatch the same episode many times in a row. Don't you get bored watching the same scenes again and again? I'd rather spend my limited time watching new shows, but that's just me...
For the longest amount of time, neither could I. But now, I do it because I want to "re-live" certain moments of the show. And that's why I re-watched the last part of the finale a few times.
Ray is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
horror, romance, shounen, slice-of-unlife, supernatural