AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Upcoming Series > Upcoming Archive

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2013-12-22, 08:59   Link #1
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Hi Score Girl Anticipation

I was waiting to be sure it was legit, but it seems like a done deal - Hi Score Girl is getting an anime.

Quote:
The year is 1991 and 6th grader Yaguchi Haruo only has video games to live for. He's not popular in school and he's neither handsome, funny, nice nor even friendly. The only thing he has going for him is that he is good at video games. One day at the local arcade, he plays Oono Akira, a fellow classmate but who's popular, smart, pretty and a rich girl that absolutely destroys him at Street Fighter II. Not only does he lose to her 30 times in a row, he can’t beat her at any game. Haruo can’t seem to shake Akira off as she follows him from arcade to arcade everyday after school and beats him every time. As weird as it sounds, the odd couple begins a strange bond and friendship.
I've noted on previous occasions that this was always prominently displayed in bookstores, and seemed to be garnering a lot of attention in manga circles here. It took 3rd in the Manga Taishou this year and was also nominated for a Tezuka Award. Only 4 volumes but a pretty decent seller - around 100K for the most recent.

Along with Baby Steps, this makes two joyous series announcements for me (for a change). This is a very good series indeed - really funny, sharp, edgy and surprisingly deep. Rensuke Oshikiri's Pupipo! is getting a short-form anime this season and the general art style is similar, but apart from that this is a very different sort of manga.
Old 2013-12-22, 09:00   Link #2
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

I enjoyed the only chapter of it scanlated so far, think I'll see the rest of it once the anime hits.

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
Old 2013-12-22, 10:00   Link #3
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Romance +
Plot+

I'm in!!!!
Old 2013-12-23, 11:33   Link #4
Utsuro no Hako

Thank God this is getting animated. I've been wanting to follow the series, but the manga doesn't have furigana so it takes me an hour to get through one panel, and nobody's scanlated past the first chapter.
Old 2013-12-23, 19:28   Link #5
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

As someone who grew up with SFII Turbo (and then SSFII) as his most played game in his SNES, I'm thoroughly intrigued, especially with the possibility of romance.

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
Old 2013-12-23, 21:30   Link #6
Dr. Casey

1991, huh. Yeah, I don't think arcades started to decline in popularity until the late '90s or early 2000s? (I very rarely visited any arcades myself - I think I've only gone twice in my life, both times with my brother - but I'm aware their heyday is long behind them.) Interesting premise; I'll have to check this show out.
Old 2013-12-23, 23:54   Link #7
Utsuro no Hako

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Casey View Post
1991, huh. Yeah, I don't think arcades started to decline in popularity until the late '90s or early 2000s? (I very rarely visited any arcades myself - I think I've only gone twice in my life, both times with my brother - but I'm aware their heyday is long behind them.) Interesting premise; I'll have to check this show out.
When I went Christmas shopping last week, I was really surprised to see an arcade still in business at the local mall. Well, for values of "in business" equal to "completely deserted except for a girl sitting at the desk reading a book." Of course that's in the US. If anime doesn't lie to us, arcades seem to still be doing well in Japan.
Old 2013-12-24, 03:09   Link #8
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

The mangaka was born in 1979, so one suspects there's a considerable autobiographical element to this series.
Old 2014-08-06, 01:09   Link #9
Utsuro no Hako

So this must be why we haven't heard anything further about the series:

Quote:
Around last summer, a production company in Tokyo's Kanto area contacted SNK about permission to use the game company's characters and sounds for an anime adaptation of Hi Score Girl. That led to SNK discovering the allegedly unauthorized use of its copyrighted materials in the manga. SNK then filed a complaint with the Osaka Police this past May.

SNK issued a news release on the criminal investigation on Wednesday. The company emphasized that it repeatedly requested Square Enix to immediately halt the sales of Hi Score Girl's digital release, print volumes, monthly magazine serialization, and other releases. However, SNK asserted that it did not receive any kind of sincere response.
I can't believe the editors at the magazine could be this stupid. I sure hope they work something out, even if it means the anime features Smortal Krombat and Screed Fighter.
Old 2014-08-07, 02:27   Link #10
Lenneth4

Send a message via MSN to Lenneth4
Did the police also found traces of FF15 at least or somethin ?

I need to contact the osaka police to see what will happen in TGS ...
Old 2014-08-07, 04:40   Link #11
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utsuro no Hako View Post
I can't believe the editors at the magazine could be this stupid. I sure hope they work something out, even if it means the anime features Smortal Krombat and Screed Fighter.
not really. they ask Capcom, Sega and Bandai Namco all all gave permission.

it just somehow they forgot SNK

Old 2014-08-07, 10:02   Link #12
Utsuro no Hako

Well the latest news is that serialization will continue but Squeenix is recalling the tankoubons. As for the anime, there's contradictory information:

Quote:
Also, the publisher told the ITmedia News website that "there are no changes" to the plans to adapt the manga into anime. However, Square Enix's public relations representative then told the Gadget Tsūshin website that the publisher has not decided whether to cancel or continue the anime plans.
I wonder if the studio even wants anything to do with this now?
Old 2014-08-07, 19:07   Link #13
videoman190

At least there is no announcement that the anime will be canceled. But if SNK-Playmore wins the lawsuit it would cost them a whole lot of money. Which will put into good use for their new KOF game (Either KOF Maximum Impact 3 or KOF XIV). But if SNK-Playmore and Square-Enix get in some kind of agreement to still release the anime.
Old 2014-08-08, 03:47   Link #14
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

This pisses me off to no end. It's a great effing manga, and because someone forgot to cross their Ts everything is on-hold and maybe worse. It's the curse of any manga I love. The thing is, Hi Score Girl is actually great publicity for SNK - it builds a nostalgia factor for their older catalog like nobody's business. But since they were never properly consulted, you can't really blame them for being pricks about it.
Old 2014-08-09, 16:10   Link #15
Mentar
Banned

I'd definitely love a conversion of this show ... it's so far out and unusual!
Old 2014-08-11, 20:59   Link #16
Utsuro no Hako

And now they've halted serialization. Still no news on the anime, but this can't be a good sign.
Old 2014-08-11, 21:21   Link #17
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Sigh...

There are a million generic cute girls being cute series and pretentious LN comedies, and it's this series this has to happen to?
Old 2014-08-11, 22:45   Link #18
Eisdrache
Part-time misanthrope

Given that I haven't really read through all the chapter so I can't really comment on the story, but the art made me feel bad similar to Aku no hana's anime version.
Old 2014-08-11, 22:47   Link #19
Frontier

I feel really bad for fans of the manga, and I'm quite disappointed for what this likely means for the anime adaption, since I was looking forward to checking it out .

Ever the optimist that I am, hopefully Square Enix can work out something with SNK.
Old 2014-08-11, 23:30   Link #20
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

In the Japanese legal system, pre-trial settlements are basically impossible. Once SNK brought the law into it, the die was pretty much cast.
Closed Thread

Tags
comedy, school life, seinen, video games