AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2008-08-07, 09:21   Link #1821
LiberLibri
(`◉◞౪◟◉´)

Send a message via AIM to LiberLibri
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
So what are the correct terms for mature homosexual relationships? Yaoi/yuri are consistently used among anime viewers.

What should we be using?
I think just distinguishing their concepts is enough; international anime viewers are not obliged to accord with the terminology of strict Japanese.

In a casual conversation among Japanese young otakus, they just mention mature homosexuality by the terms "gay" and "les[bian]" respectively whch were introduced from English. Historically male homosexuality was called 男色 [danshoku / male colour] but today not many people use the word. And, as far as I know, there is / was no specific term for female homosexuality.

Spoiler for Study on Male Colours:

A. Nakajima, one of the earliest pioneers of yaoi culture, defined it as mythology of love for sexually-oppressed young girls. She has repeatedly insisted that yaoi has nothing with male homosexuality in the real world. It is rather fantasy in an asexual world. O. Konno, the author of Maria-sama ga miteru, once admitted that her works are in the line of Yuri but not female homosexuality (lesbian). Yuri genre was established in the 19C and expanded in the early 20C by N. Yoshiya. Throughout the history, its readers have always been adolescent females who turn out to be heterosexual. Today, those with female homosexuality sometimes criticise the Yuri culture for the candy-like fruitless sweetness.
LiberLibri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-07, 11:18   Link #1822
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Having a couple of lesbian friends, I can vouch that some of them might actually be a yuriota's worst nightmare as opposed to the pink-colored fantasy anime and manga culture depict.

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.

Last edited by WanderingKnight; 2008-08-07 at 11:46.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-08, 02:07   Link #1823
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Lycan View Post
Someone tell me what هبي فيته لفي mean ?
Besides the fact that it is Arabic, I have no idea. You should probably post your question in this thread: Could Someone Please Translate This? .
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-08, 03:10   Link #1824
King Lycan
User Title eaten by ravenous bunnies
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by james3wk View Post
Besides the fact that it is Arabic, I have no idea. You should probably post your question in this thread: Could Someone Please Translate This? .
Oh thanks
Old 2008-08-09, 02:49   Link #1825
FLCL
I've been Kawarolled

Send a message via AIM to FLCL
is there setting i have wrong? i cant see peoples Sigs unless im signed out
FLCL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-09, 02:56   Link #1826
xris
Just call me Ojisan

Quote:
Originally Posted by foolycooly7777 View Post
is there setting i have wrong? i cant see peoples Sigs unless im signed out
That's because you have elected not to display signatures in your profile

User CP > Edit Options > Thread Display Options > Visible Post Elements > Show Signatures

You have this setting unticked therefore you will not see any sigs.
xris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-09, 03:14   Link #1827
james0246

Is there a proper way for a man to shave his face?

I shave by pulling the razor down, up, and across, but, recently, a lady friend of mine told me that I was shaving the wrong way. Specifically, she said that I am never supposed to pull the razor up (which I mainly do for the sideburn and neck area), and that this is somehow bad for my skin. Considering the fact that I have never had facial problems resulted from shaving in my many years of shaving, I scoffed at her comments (who would know more about mens shaving, than a man?). But, secretly, I wish to make sure that I was correct in my scoffing of her assertion, if not, I need to retract my scoff, and apologize.

edit: scoff is a little...harsh. I meant something more along the lines of gentle sarcasm; a form of chiding, perhaps. Yes, that expresses my slight disagreement far better.

Last edited by james0246; 2008-08-09 at 04:03.
Old 2008-08-09, 03:27   Link #1828
mangalowres
AS Mods Sandbag

Quote:
Considering the fact that I have never had facial problems resulted from shaving in my many years of shaving,
you answered your own question
She was right but if you don't have any problems and you can shave all the nasty hairs away with your methode and it should not be a problem at all...
For example me, I can only use electro shaver or I get problems.

Edit:
There is this "rule", don't shave against the growth direction of your hair, but even I could not follow that without leaving some hairs behind
mangalowres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-09, 03:54   Link #1829
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I get a much closer shave going "against the grain". However, it is much easier to irritate the skin if the blade has any crystalized minerals on it (from the tap water drying on it).

meh, whatever works - frankly I'd be happy if someone could derive a form hair remover cream that didn't irritate the face.
Old 2008-08-09, 09:35   Link #1830
mangalowres
AS Mods Sandbag

Does someone know why there are words in japanese which sound similar to some german words.
Like "warte" or "wate" <- it sounds like that , which I did hear often in Animes.

Or is that only a coincidence
Old 2008-08-09, 10:24   Link #1831
LiberLibri
(`◉◞౪◟◉´)

Send a message via AIM to LiberLibri
It is inconceivable that German volk had had so intimate and early contact with the people at the opposite side of the continent that their languages affect each other in the basic vocabulary like "mate" / "warten" .

There are a number of loan words from German in Japanese, especially in the fields of Medical Science, Law and Metaphysics. The first German word I learned was "Tatbestandmässigkeit" (requirements with which crimes are recognised as such). Japanese doctors read "Karte" and take "Messer", students argue "sachlich" about "transzendental" ideas. However, they are limited within the academic scenes.

If you find some similarity, I think it is because of the vowels.
LiberLibri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-09, 11:04   Link #1832
mangalowres
AS Mods Sandbag

Thx alot
so it was "mate", it sounded to me like "warte"
Old 2008-08-09, 11:34   Link #1833
Kyuusai
9wiki
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Kyuusai Send a message via MSN to Kyuusai Send a message via Yahoo to Kyuusai
Quote:
Is there a proper way for a man to shave his face?

I shave by pulling the razor down, up, and across, but, recently, a lady friend of mine told me that I was shaving the wrong way. Specifically, she said that I am never supposed to pull the razor up (which I mainly do for the sideburn and neck area), and that this is somehow bad for my skin. Considering the fact that I have never had facial problems resulted from shaving in my many years of shaving, I scoffed at her comments (who would know more about mens shaving, than a man?). But, secretly, I wish to make sure that I was correct in my scoffing of her assertion, if not, I need to retract my scoff, and apologize.

edit: scoff is a little...harsh. I meant something more along the lines of gentle sarcasm; a form of chiding, perhaps. Yes, that expresses my slight disagreement far better.
As Vexx said, it does increase the potential for skin irritation. I'll go a step further and say that shaving against the grain you run the risk of ingrown hairs.

While shaving with the grain may not provide as close a shave, it should shave all the hairs. If you can't get them with the grain, you may want to examine your shaving methods. Soaking the skin with hot water, using a better razor/blade, using shaving oil or proper shaving soap instead of shaving cream... all of these can improve a shave tremendously. I settled on shaving in the shower with shaving oil and a Mach 3 razor, while a friend of mine went to shaving soap and a straight razor or a safety razor. Much, much better results.

Of course, I believe that the BEST form of shaving involves putting your razor in a drawer and never using it again. If my face desires to grow hair, it is clearly a sign I should let it.

I await patiently
the gift promised to me.
Kyuusai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-09, 12:16   Link #1834
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuusai
Of course, I believe that the BEST form of shaving involves putting your razor in a drawer and never using it again. If my face desires to grow hair, it is clearly a sign I should let it.
Ooo... do this, do this: A.J. Jacobs follows Bible — literally — for a year
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-09, 18:33   Link #1835
james0246

Thanks for all the info (and the vernacular - "with the grain" and "against the grain", how could I have missed these phrases ?).
Old 2008-08-11, 19:46   Link #1836
Seditary
Ooooo what?!

Yes, hair is just like wood.
Old 2008-08-12, 18:38   Link #1837
stubby42

I know its a silly question but how do you put a signature and an avatar in your profile? I cant for the life of me figure it out.
stubby42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-12, 19:22   Link #1838
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stubby42 View Post
I know its a silly question but how do you put a signature and an avatar in your profile? I cant for the life of me figure it out.
At the top of the page click on User CP then below Settings and Options click on Edit Avatar/Signature

For the avatar, simply upload one directly from one of your folders (custom avatar), or use one of the default ones offered by the forum .

For sigs you'll need to upload the one you want through a host site (i.e: Imageshack) and then copy paste the direct link shown there using the [IMG] [/IMG] on the space below.

Be sure to read the signature rules (specially the text in sigs part) before deciding on an image to use as a sig.

EDIT:

Oh yeah, for the profile pic check below Your Profile and then select Edit Profile Picture.
Old 2008-08-12, 19:28   Link #1839
stubby42

Thanks for the help.
stubby42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-13, 00:03   Link #1840
[DOT].L
Delightfully lost...
*Artist

Question:

Are there any foods one should avoid consuming with alcoholic beverages?

Last edited by [DOT].L; 2008-08-13 at 00:27. Reason: grr spelling...
[DOT].L is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
problem, q&a, serious