AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Visual Novels, Mobage & Anime Spin-Off Games

Notices

Old 2022-04-09, 11:07   Link #4681
stray
Speedy Sea Cucumber

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenade_beta View Post
Lol, I remember when they announced a non-18 visual novel around late 2021, and everything was just up in flames
People were like, Bruh, did you see what happened to Lose? Or those companies that try to go to non-18 visual novels only to come back? There is even less room these days for visual novels that aren't 18+. Don't waste Kobuichi on such trash. We're gonna go back to Sabbat of the Witch and enjoy Tanez... I mean, Tanezaki's twin sister.
The thing is - its not just gacha, some studios want that global presence on Steam - though AliceSoft kinda fucked that up where Evenicle II was concerned, and Laplacian couldn't have been more trolling about it with their all ages attempt.
stray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-04-26, 10:01   Link #4682
stray
Speedy Sea Cucumber

AliceSoft translating their Gatcha to English...

https://twitter.com/Alicesoft_en/sta...57926609276929
Old 2022-05-12, 12:01   Link #4683
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

August still exists. It's just that they are now competing with KeroQ/Makura for most intermittent title release (Sakura no Toki is finally coming out.....AT LAST......)
Old 2023-07-31, 03:10   Link #4684
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

BTW, Key('s parent company) was sold to Tencent recently

You got the good companies like Minori and Giga dying proud, the pathetic companies like August selling their souls to gacha games or non-R18 games
And then you have Key. The (now ex-)president selling the company off. What a new low. I don't even know why Tencent would want them. China already does plenty fine making content revolving around non-R18 novel-like UIs in gacha games. Its not like Key's IPs are as strong as they used to be either. And I'm pretty sure the group that used to make R18 stuff are separate entities now.

I personally don't play non-R18 visual novels, so this doesn't affect me much, but I guess maybe this means Key will no longer release new non-R18 games like Summer Pocket anymore? China pretty much only makes gacha games, right?

BTW, I put this info in the Eroge thread, but Key technically hasn't made eroges for like, 10+ years, I think. Even Youkai-Everything-Is-Utawarerumono's, who was also recently absorbed into HIKE, last eroge is more recent

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-07-31, 04:03   Link #4685
Tactics
Haven't You Heard?

Quote:
BTW, Key('s parent company) was sold to Tencent recently

You got the good companies like Minori and Giga dying proud, the pathetic companies like August selling their souls to gacha games or non-R18 games
And then you have Key. The (now ex-)president selling the company off. What a new low. I don't even know why Tencent would want them. China already does plenty fine making content revolving around non-R18 novel-like UIs in gacha games. Its not like Key's IPs are as strong as they used to be either. And I'm pretty sure the group that used to make R18 stuff are separate entities now.

I personally don't play non-R18 visual novels, so this doesn't affect me much, but I guess maybe this means Key will no longer release new non-R18 games like Summer Pocket anymore? China pretty much only makes gacha games, right?
What they wanted is the potent assets like Little Busters and Heavens Burn Red.
Especially HBR which managed to gain loyalist in VN-oriented gacha market that once believed to be "No way you can compete with Fate Grand Order" area.

Whether they continue to release new non-gacha games depends on the deal.

Personally I'm just glad Baba get out and hope that the deal can warrant Key longevity in future; after what he did to Tales franchise I don't want to see his name again.
Old 2023-07-31, 04:11   Link #4686
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tactics View Post
Personally I'm just glad Baba get out and hope that the deal can warrant Key longevity in future; after what he did to Tales franchise I don't want to see his name again.
Key/Visual Arts CEO's name is Baba Takahiro (who actually romanized his name as "Vava"). Tales of ex-producer was Baba Hideo. They are completely unrelated, family and career wise.
Old 2023-07-31, 04:34   Link #4687
Tactics
Haven't You Heard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
Key/Visual Arts CEO's name is Baba Takahiro (who actually romanized his name as "Vava"). Tales of ex-producer was Baba Hideo. They are completely unrelated, family and career wise.
I see, I mistaken it, thank you for the correction.
Old 2023-07-31, 15:49   Link #4688
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Quote:
Especially HBR which managed to gain loyalist in VN-oriented gacha market that once believed to be "No way you can compete with Fate Grand Order" area.

I mean, I can kinda see Heavens Burn, but not too sure about their other IPs. Definitely classics, but I don't see them making anything out of it these days, unless they plan to make gacha games separately for each game. Also, I heard Yurippe appeared in Heavens Burn recently, so they probably want to save the nostalgic goggles of Maeda stuff for Heavens Burn

As for Baba Hideo, I just want to note that he has been long ousted from Bandai Namco since 2016, when he moved to Square Enix, and was ousted again in 2019 and has not really appeared in public since then

-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
Old 2023-07-31, 16:35   Link #4689
stray
Speedy Sea Cucumber

Wow I haven't thought about Hideo Baba for a while...

I dunno if gachas are really a smart investment anymore... China gives failing games a lot of runway but when it comes to Japanese IP I hear about more gachas shutting down than starting up anymore.

I kinda hate nakige so I don't have a lot of love for Key classics but I have enjoyed stuff from Visual Arts other imprints, some of which (like Saga Planets and tone works) broke off entirely from Visual Arts over the past few years. Hard to say whether the buyout will be good or bad but Tencent tends to be pretty hands off so we'll see.
Old 2023-08-04, 16:46   Link #4690
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Another note, but for some reason (some suspect in-fighting as suspected with Alicesoft), Illusion as a brand is disbanding, but will reincarnate as ILLGAMES
https://www.illusion.jp/see-you-next-time
https://twitter.com/Projecti18/statu...97511101476864

Maybe they will only do anime-ish 3D now? Some people suspect it is to stop support of the older games and get people to buy the newer ones? Perhaps new rules on mods?

Old 2023-08-04, 22:25   Link #4691
Tactics
Haven't You Heard?

It suspected as income issue within Illusion player communities; not enough support to maintain development cycle so they wanted a rebranding for more business line.

Looking at HoneyCome, I think they got their lesson from Steam, especially Koikatsu.

Old 2023-08-05, 08:25   Link #4692
stray
Speedy Sea Cucumber

Quote:
Perhaps new rules on mods?
Legally they seem to be covering their bases anyway...
Spoiler for ToS:
So far its okay I guess, a bit more Honey Select than Koikatsu. English is nice, I might get it if/when it comes to Steam.
Old 2023-08-05, 22:00   Link #4693
larethian

Quote:

Technically, Key, or rather, Visual Arts, did not 'release' any gacha games. HBR is said to be co-made by Key and WFS. But in reality, the entire developer team is from WFS which is made up of 120+ strong developers (for HBR only, not counting other games). The publishing and distribution rights also lie with WFS, which is the official 運営さん, and VA has no part in it. WFS fully handles development, publishing and marketing. The main 'resource affiliated' with Key is Maeda, who provides all scenarios and music. It's possible some of the background art or concept art is provided by Key artists, though all 51 characters are designed and drawn by Yuugen, who also handles all key visuals. Other than that, Key probably does make royalties from lending its brand name, as well as from IP cross-overs from Angel Beats, and most recently, music from Kanon and Air.
larethian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-08-18, 21:26   Link #4694
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

https://twitter.com/ILLUSION_staff/s...86002550345785

Well, that's a strange thing to say as your last words

Definitely was in-fighting, and probably the people that decided to do their own stuff were critical for the continuation of the company, which is why Illusion so suddenly dissolved and also why the new ILLGAMES is able to bring out a game so fast

I hear Lose dissolving was due to Cura and the tops arguing, and you can't have Lose without Cura (though I don't know much on this). Eroge companies are generally small, so a bit of fighting probably is a relatively big thing.
I'm surprised Alicesoft hasn't given up, considering almost everyone important like TOMA are gone.

Old 2023-10-01, 14:41   Link #4695
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

On a related topic, ex-Alicesoft Ittenchiroku (who produced Dona Dona) is producing what is pretty much Dona Dona 2
https://twitter.com/famitsu/status/1705431850624446735

Except its not an Eroge, so big problem there for me. I guess Entergram didn't want to fund an R18 game

Old 2023-12-10, 04:13   Link #4696
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Some other random (bad) news I was able to gather today on the eroge industry

Waffle -> Probably going to only do gacha games from now on
Windmill -> Ko-cha has left the company and it seems NEXTON picked up some, meaning technically Windmill is already dead (or absorbed by NEXTON) and just selling some goods or doing non-R18 versions of old games (the order of events is probably death -> employees leaving)
Clochette -> Moved the company from the office building to an apartment building, so also technically probably already dead
Lump of Sugar -> Started fanbox for extra cash, but they recently sold their newest game (released early this year) for 1000 yen on Fanza, which is similar to what Feng did before they died, so people are worried about here too

Other than that, I think we are good

Old 2023-12-11, 02:38   Link #4697
blitz1/2
Tenshi's Defense Squadron

Quote:
Some other random (bad) news I was able to gather today on the eroge industry

Waffle -> Probably going to only do gacha games from now on
Windmill -> Ko-cha has left the company and it seems NEXTON picked up some, meaning technically Windmill is already dead (or absorbed by NEXTON) and just selling some goods or doing non-R18 versions of old games (the order of events is probably death -> employees leaving)
Clochette -> Moved the company from the office building to an apartment building, so also technically probably already dead
Lump of Sugar -> Started fanbox for extra cash, but they recently sold their newest game (released early this year) for 1000 yen on Fanza, which is similar to what Feng did before they died, so people are worried about here too

Other than that, I think we are good
Damn,,,,we are slowly dying....

hai, hai. Onii-chan has his work cut out for him.
blitz1/2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-12-12, 02:16   Link #4698
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitz1/2 View Post
Damn,,,,we are slowly dying....
To be fair, I hear that we reached the bottom line a couple years back and with the makers adding DL options and getting translated versions overseas, it has gone up
Mado Soft made 113 million yen on crowdfunding a 1-cour, 5 min anime, so we old single men with nothing to do with our money are still out there
Also I said all of these companies, but Windmill has been technically dead in 2022 and Clochette... I think was 2021? Pretty spaced out. Just that the West Coast don't really keep up with these stuff, and I had to explore the 5ch Pink boards to learn these news.

Giga is "dead", but its really just Entergram deciding not to make R18 games anymore (staff are making non-R18 stuff in place). But they are still selling non-R18 games at R18 games prices... so... not sure what they are thinking. They're selling to the non-existent "People that play gyaru games without R18 content" audience

Don't forget that compared to its golden days, not even 90% of the normal game companies are alive. We just have what we have today, with very few if any new companies being born. Just Indies at best.

Also another good news is that traitor Leaf/Aquaplus is pretty much half-dead, being so unprofitable they were sold by their parent company Tora no Ana to some Korean company that just wants their IP

Old 2024-02-07, 16:08   Link #4699
blitz1/2
Tenshi's Defense Squadron

Is Alcot making their last game? Some new Clover game? Someone verify?

hai, hai. Onii-chan has his work cut out for him.
blitz1/2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2024-02-10, 03:03   Link #4700
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitz1/2 View Post
Is Alcot making their last game? Some new Clover game? Someone verify?
Yeah, that is correct. It'll actually be their first game in 5 or 6 years.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9pnJlSKWrU

Basically the Pres (Miyazou) is aging and health issues and stuff and at best might be able to do 10 years and frankly Alcot is not exactly a popular company, so instead of just fading into nothingness, he wanted to do one final game.
The company will continue to exist as a holder of the IP and such, and he might be helping other companies instead.

The cloudfounding is also kinda to make it one big final event. He is able to borrow money from the bank, so its not a "I don't have money, please give me to make" thing.

...And you know, I can support this. You got the bigger companies trying to survive for the sake of surviving and throwing away their roots (Alicesoft, Leaf, Nitroplus, etc) and companies like Harukaze and Windmill that just stop doing stuff without saying anything even though it is clearly obvious they are same as dead
And then you have companies like Overdrive and Alcot that have pride as creators (to a point)
(And then you have fuc***s like Sprite)

Tags
bishoujo game, ero-game, eroge, visual novel