AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Ore no Imouto

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-12-29, 15:12   Link #161
Dr. Casey

That rule always reminds me of everyone's reactions to the second episode of MM.

On-topic: I like Kirino.
Old 2011-01-02, 20:54   Link #162
Iskandar Taib

Just having watched the last episode, here's my take:

No, she (Kirino) doesn't have sexual feelings for her brother (nor he for her). She just loves him as a brother, but won't ever admit it to anyone. Why all the hostility? Um, brothers and sisters are sometimes like that. In the end, she really DID want him to tell her to stay, but she couldn't just come out and say it. She didn't want to go either, being torn by the possibilities and leaving her family.

The jealousy? Ever read "Breakfast at Tiffany's"? (Don't have my copy at hand, so I'm paraphrasing here) "That kind of love can invite jealousy, too."

I must say, though.. I've never come across a more, um, constantly negative character since Tsukishima Aoba...

I suppose the second half of episode eleven makes a lot more sense once you've finished episode twelve.

Iskandar
Old 2011-04-21, 17:18   Link #163
Kyuu
=^^=

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iskandar Taib View Post
No, she (Kirino) doesn't have sexual feelings for her brother (nor he for her). She just loves him as a brother, but won't ever admit it to anyone.
Anyone who thinks that is a sick pervert.

As an older brother to a younger sister, I can testify to that. It's HARD to say things like that and make admissions. This is particularly true when the sibling history includes a lot of fighting while growing up. It took me well past the college years to grow up from the fighting. Even so, I see my younger sister trying her darndest. So, I do my job to support.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Casey
On-topic: I like Kirino.
I do too. And, I've seen plenty of complaints on Kirino. Why?
Old 2011-04-21, 18:44   Link #164
RegalStar
Mishaguji-sama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuu View Post
I do too. And, I've seen plenty of complaints on Kirino. Why?
The anime overexaggerates Kirino's tsuntsun side, and the novels aren't available in English.
Old 2011-04-21, 23:48   Link #165
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by RegalStar View Post
The anime overexaggerates Kirino's tsuntsun side, and the novels aren't available in English.
Pretty much this... anime adaptations are rarely able to avoid compressing a character study without data loss. In Kirino's case (and most of the characters) we're missing context bits.

In my opinion... this was a series that really needed 24 episodes to develop properly but the market economics interfered. We still got a pretty interesting series (though shorted) but specific characters took extra hurt.
Old 2011-04-22, 01:26   Link #166
larethian

this was posted by another fan translator somewhere before, but I think it got wrongfully deleted or something:

Spoiler for Kirino's version of episode 1:
Old 2011-04-23, 00:17   Link #167
grandchaosSR
Servant of the Void

The only thing likable about Kirino is her wacky otaku antics. I hope in the sequel or OVA Kirino will be a little bit more grateful to Kyousuke. I mean Kyousuke embarrassed himself several times just to save her butt and I don't think a mere thank you is enough to compensate for the humiliation that he suffered. But I kinda understand why Kirino acts like that because I rarely say thank you to my brothers...
Old 2011-04-26, 09:59   Link #168
Kayoubi
Togame's Sword

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandchaosSR View Post
But I kinda understand why Kirino acts like that because I rarely say thank you to my brothers...
No way! "grandchaosSR ga Konnani Kawaii Wake ga Nai" ?
Old 2011-04-26, 22:59   Link #169
frubam
simp for Lyria

Send a message via AIM to frubam
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maugomale View Post
Oh really? Most of what I see here (and many other places, sadly) is just blind bashing at a character people barely make any sense of
Perhaps what I AM doing is 'blind bashing'. But I shouldn't have to FORCE myself to try to understand her character, I should be PROVOKED into doing so. Personally, she does not endear me enough to even WANT to try to understand her. I have come to hate her with every fiber of my being. I have no intentions of trying to rationalize my feelings and look objectively at her actions. She was presented in a certain way, and I GREATLY ABHORRED that way, its as simple as that.
Old 2011-04-27, 00:13   Link #170
larethian

I was just wondering, whether there's any novel reader here who hates Kirino?
Old 2011-04-27, 00:36   Link #171
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by larethian View Post
The novel has the time/space budget to provide subtlety the series is having some trouble portraying. I can count Kirino's aired 'mature sweet' moments in just a few seconds over 12 episodes... and most of that in the last few seconds before she leaves. Unless people are really closely paying attention they'll miss the hints and illuminations (rather like many people did in some aspects of Canvas 2's triangle). Ultimately though, its the fault of the adaptation for flattening Kirino's character to the extent they did.

The other thing is... you're not *supposed* to like Kirino all that much or have mixed feelings about because we're seeing through the eyes of Kyousuke. The story is HIS point of view. I suppose its a sign of good immersive quality if people fly into a rage over characters they're not supposed to like.
Old 2011-04-27, 00:49   Link #172
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

Manga Kirino is made of win, if you don't have access to the novels, try looking up what translated mangas there are out right now. You'll be surprise at how different she is from the anime.
Old 2011-04-27, 00:56   Link #173
larethian

eh? I own the novels, and even translated a chapter++ on BT.
Old 2011-05-03, 08:57   Link #174
Undertaker

Quote:
I don't think anyone who've read LN can hate Kirino. Don't get me wrong, I still think Kuroneko is pure win, but it's hard to ignore how hard Kirino works as well as how serious she is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
The novel has the time/space budget to provide subtlety the series is having some trouble portraying. I can count Kirino's aired 'mature sweet' moments in just a few seconds over 12 episodes... and most of that in the last few seconds before she leaves. Unless people are really closely paying attention they'll miss the hints and illuminations (rather like many people did in some aspects of Canvas 2's triangle). Ultimately though, its the fault of the adaptation for flattening Kirino's character to the extent they did.

The other thing is... you're not *supposed* to like Kirino all that much or have mixed feelings about because we're seeing through the eyes of Kyousuke. The story is HIS point of view. I suppose its a sign of good immersive quality if people fly into a rage over characters they're not supposed to like.

I agree to a certain point. I personally don't think the problem lies in POV since the anime is not really from Kyosuke's POV because there are additional scenes that does not involve Kyosuke, not to meniton in LN, we are "seeing" Kirino through Kyosuke's sides and that didn't prevent reader from seeing how hard working Kirino is and how logical she can be and that she is really just a stubborn tsundere.

IMO, the problem lies in that the anime simply failed to establish Kirino's LN personality in the first three episodes. The part they altered happened to be important character points for Kirino. For example, during the net meeting, they try to make Kirino seem more sympathetic by making her more passive and reactive. But that was not really her character and as result it has more of a feeling that she brought it upon herself. Thing like this continues to happen throughout the series. They failed to establisher her character early so they slightly alter scenes to make her look more sympathetic/helpless but because there is nothing for them to based those changes on, they failed miserably.

While the LN/manga readers can fill in the blanks or ignore certain minor scene changes, those without access to LN/manga can only based on what was already shown and what they were shown as a very shallow Kirino who's all talk but 0 action to the point that anime-only viewer even forgot (or have hard time believe) that she is this perfect ,role model student.
Old 2011-05-11, 16:38   Link #175
Kyuu
=^^=

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandchaosSR View Post
But I kinda understand why Kirino acts like that because I rarely say thank you to my brothers...
As a dense older brother, I actually do get uncomfortable with that kind of stuff. Thus, the rare "thank you"s and stuff like that. It's fine. I can tell whether some things are appreciated or not anyways.

Quote:
The over-exaggeration. Having not read the novel - nor ever intend to -- I cannot imagine bringing out her character without the exaggeration. It displays the very FIRE that she lives her life under. And that's good.
Old 2011-05-11, 22:45   Link #176
larethian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuu View Post
As a dense older brother, I actually do get uncomfortable with that kind of stuff. Thus, the rare "thank you"s and stuff like that. It's fine. I can tell whether some things are appreciated or not anyways.

The over-exaggeration. Having not read the novel - nor ever intend to -- I cannot imagine bringing out her character without the exaggeration. It displays the very FIRE that she lives her life under. And that's good.
what? if you like Kirino, how can you not read the novel?
Old 2011-05-11, 23:16   Link #177
RegalStar
Mishaguji-sama

Quote:
Maybe the fact that most of the novels aren't translated to English has to do with it?
Old 2011-05-12, 00:38   Link #178
larethian

Quote:
Maybe the fact that most of the novels aren't translated to English has to do with it?
but he never said 'unless the novels are translated or licensed'. he said 'intend' and 'ever'.
Old 2011-05-13, 13:07   Link #179
Kurumix
Lord of Cute Things

Location: In the land of which pie falls from the sky, and lakes flow chocolate
Send a message via MSN to Kurumix
lol, adorable char

a little sister closet otaku who happens to like little sisters is a pretty funny char design lol
Old 2011-05-13, 15:35   Link #180
Kyuu
=^^=

Quote:
'cause I'd prefer to buy things like manga or novels in order to read them (rather that straight online). However, I'm not inclined to spend on such things at the moment. So, I'd just resort to anime adaptations -- AND -- keep myself away from making distinctions between the anime and "manga" (print) versions.
Closed Thread

Tags
characters