AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Tales of... > Tales of the Abyss (Archive)

Notices

Old 2008-11-09, 15:07   Link #1161
demon_god04
~Hi -mi- tsu des~

Quote:
Originally Posted by yozaku View Post
Spoiler for age in game:
I am forcefully forgetting things in the game that have not been shown in the anime yet when discussing things in this thread. You just spoiled a good deal right there and not just about age.
demon_god04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-09, 16:32   Link #1162
kujoe
from head to heel

Quote:
Originally Posted by demon_god04 View Post
It is funny how Tear is like looking after them but she is actually the second youngest character there even if she does not act like it most of the time.

Tear is 16, Luke is supposed to be 18 I believe, and Natalia is 19. Jade is in his thirties and Guy is in his middle to late twenties while Anise is around 12 to 14, I can't remember.
Tear is the second youngest in the party with her being 16 years old. Luke is 17, while Natalia is 18. Guy is 21 and Jade is 35. Anise, the youngest is 13 years old.

Ion on the other hand, is just 14 years old. Not bad for a leader occupying the highest position in his religious order.
kujoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-09, 16:34   Link #1163
Silaqui

Send a message via ICQ to Silaqui
While I was watching episode 7, I hoped all the time, that someone would just kick Luke in his face!
Old 2008-11-09, 17:26   Link #1164
demon_god04
~Hi -mi- tsu des~

Quote:
Originally Posted by kujoe View Post
Tear is the second youngest in the party with her being 16 years old. Luke is 17, while Natalia is 18. Guy is 21 and Jade is 35. Anise, the youngest is 13 years old.

Ion on the other hand, is just 14 years old. Not bad for a leader occupying the highest position in his religious order.
The only age I remember for certain was Tear's, but I thought that Natalia was supposed to be 19 and I know that Luke was one year younger then Natalia.

edit:

Actually yeah because Luke was born in ND 2000 and the expedition to Akzeriuth takes place in ND 2018 so Luke should be 18 years old.
demon_god04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-09, 18:15   Link #1165
Darkurai

Luke's age is listed as 17. It is possible that the game begins before his seventeenth birthday.

I also recall (in the game, perhaps not the anime) that Duke Fabre mentioned it would be three years before he could leave the manor when he came of age. If I'm remembering correctly, "of age" in Tales of the Abyss is 20.
Darkurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-09, 19:01   Link #1166
Bobu44
Gaku Translator

Where did all these ages come from ?

Character profiles?

Oh Demon_god, you'd have to really know what you're looking at to be spoiled by Yozora's post.
Bobu44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-09, 19:10   Link #1167
yozaku
Always Idle

Quote:
I am forcefully forgetting things in the game that have not been shown in the anime yet when discussing things in this thread. You just spoiled a good deal right there and not just about age.
Oh well im sorry looks like Im messed up there
yozaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-09, 19:24   Link #1168
kujoe
from head to heel

Quote:
The only age I remember for certain was Tear's, but I thought that Natalia was supposed to be 19 and I know that Luke was one year younger then Natalia.

edit:

Actually yeah because Luke was born in ND 2000 and the expedition to Akzeriuth takes place in ND 2018 so Luke should be 18 years old.
Nope. Darkurai's post explains further.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkurai View Post
Luke's age is listed as 17. It is possible that the game begins before his seventeenth birthday.

I also recall (in the game, perhaps not the anime) that Duke Fabre mentioned it would be three years before he could leave the manor when he came of age. If I'm remembering correctly, "of age" in Tales of the Abyss is 20.
That is correct. The story begins when he is 17 years old.

All their ages are listed in their character profiles in the official homepage of the game.
kujoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-09, 19:32   Link #1169
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

I can understand why Luke is acting the way he is, and it's only going to crush him come next week going by the preview. It'll be ;__; to watch.

Am wondering how Largo knows Natalia.
Old 2008-11-09, 19:36   Link #1170
rose-wisteria
~Cuteness is NOT a Crime~

Send a message via AIM to rose-wisteria Send a message via MSN to rose-wisteria Send a message via Yahoo to rose-wisteria
Quote:
Originally Posted by kujoe View Post

The reason why I hate Tear's English VA so much. She's one of the more younger members of the party but the English VA makes her sound so old. Thank you Yukana for doing a great job.

As for the episode, a ton of foreshadowing and a ton of building up. There are a lot of subtle hints most gamers will get and some that will leave the anime-watchers only, guessing. Another build-up episode. I can't wait until they get to the good stuff. As for Luke this episode, I want to kick him off the cliff but then the show would come to an end.

Because this is a must for me, Guy saves Natalia for one scene. It doesn't take much to satisfy me. XD However, the episode itself, I didn't like as much as the others. I have to admit the battle scene is pretty good compared to the ones we have so far though.

Minnie's Blog- My thoughts, my stories.
Hey, Say, Anime!- My anime blog with a group of writers.
rose-wisteria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-09, 20:51   Link #1171
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
On a note I do hope people will be a bit more careful with the spoilers. I've played the game so I know it, but a bit more caution could be a good thing overall here. Do know how tricky it is to talk without giving too much away though. Tough tightrope to talk that's for sure.

Anyways the episode was pretty good. Handled the fight well for how much time they had. Obviously a lot shorter than the boss fight vs the monster in the last episode . Guy gets into some serious trouble with the curse slot though only lead to a shove on Luke and frankly I'm all for that.

Natalia pretty popular right now though. Getting saved by Tear, plus having Asch and Largo mention her. Though admit it was Asch curious about Largo's connection to Natalia. Clearly some interesting histories with the God Generals. Can't wait until the series starts opening those up a bit.

Probably one of the best moments is pissed off Jade. The guy is always so in control but really snapped at the end here. Luke's tantrum was far less interesting and honestly him falling off a cliff at this point wouldn't bother me. Forgot how annoying he can get.
Old 2008-11-09, 20:54   Link #1172
Freya

Send a message via AIM to Freya
What time/day does Abyss air?
Old 2008-11-09, 22:05   Link #1173
ElvenPath
a step away from heaven

As mentioned earlier on, the show started on a friday, but the latest episodes now air on saturday nights after midnight at 1:55am, japanese time (UTC +9).

Last edited by ElvenPath; 2008-11-09 at 23:24. Reason: Correction
ElvenPath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-09, 22:46   Link #1174
Bobu44
Gaku Translator

The latest episodes air at 2am on the Saturday night (well 2am Sunday morning technically), the Friday broadcast is an episode behind because they didn't do the double episode premier like everyone else. (UTC +9 Japan time).
Bobu44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-10, 00:28   Link #1175
NoLongerSane

Just a curious question, but is Pizza Hut still sponsering the anime. As for the age thing, for a 16 year old, Tear does have a well developed body. In all honesty, it is very hard not to let an initial spoiler loose due to playing the game. I am just wondering how the writers are going to handle some of the more emotional scenes that are coming in upcoming episodes.
NoLongerSane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-10, 03:00   Link #1176
Peanutbutter

Spoiler for Ep 7:

Hope to hear comments from people who haven't played the game about their feelings regarding Ep 7.
Peanutbutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-10, 03:25   Link #1177
yolin.shana

Luke was being annoyingly bratty, but the party didn't really do anything to help either.
I'd be pissed off too if everyone just left just after a conversation where I didn't understand a thing xD
I'm kinda disappointed in Guy, I thought he at least would try to calm him down and explain calmly why he's annoying everyone (as opposed to just yelling at him that he's stupid/childish, which is true, but just makes things worse *looking at you, Anise and Tear*). He's been with him for like, forever, he should know what happens when you leave him on his own...
yolin.shana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-10, 03:48   Link #1178
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
Originally Posted by yolin.shana View Post
Luke was being annoyingly bratty, but the party didn't really do anything to help either.
I'd be pissed off too if everyone just left just after a conversation where I didn't understand a thing xD
I'm kinda disappointed in Guy, I thought he at least would try to calm him down and explain calmly why he's annoying everyone (as opposed to just yelling at him that he's stupid/childish, which is true, but just makes things worse *looking at you, Anise and Tear*). He's been with him for like, forever, he should know what happens when you leave him on his own...
I could understand that if Luke was the absolute only person who didn't have a clue. I mean outside of Jade, Ion, and Legretta most of the party probably doesn't get a great deal of that conversation. But even so its only Luke who is having a tantrum about people not telling him. Mostly because of big his head has gotten from this ambassador thing and he feels its his right. Can imagine the others would like to know, but respect that they probably won't get any answers on that topic right now.

Guy knows how Luke can be, but even he has been surprised at how bad LUke is getting. Could feel that holding Luke's hand and trying to calmly talk to him will just fall on deaf ears. With how childish Luke is being not surprised with Anise and Tear. Sadly the approach of being a bit stern with him is only pushing him further into the Van corner which isn't what is needed for more growth. But in the end Luke has to look at the situation himself and show a bit of maturity. Its not looking good when a mutiny is required just to take a break for Ion's sake.
Old 2008-11-10, 04:06   Link #1179
TrueKnight

*ehem* I'm sure some of you realized this already, but for those who hasn't, Abyss's settings borrowed heavily some element of Judaism particularly the Kabbalah.

Some examples of the Sephirot branches, not exactly a spoiler but just to be safe,

Spoiler:

Courtesy of wikipedia, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sephirot

Seems like the referrences resembles some of the events or characteristics portrayed in the game or series.
TrueKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-10, 04:25   Link #1180
yolin.shana

But Jade, Ion and Regret were talking about Luke, not the others. Which is the main reason he got so angry (and that the others didn't really care about knowing).

"Being a bit stern"? I'd say it was more lashing their irritation at him.

Now, I don't blame them at all. They were all on edge and he really was annoying, it's normal that some would snap and react that way.
The problem is that it just made things worse. He's not going to try and show maturity when, to him, it seems that everyone has ganged against him. It's only going to make him defensive, and
Spoiler for vague enough to not reveal anything but just in case...:

In other words, they all screwed up, and all of that because Van had to plant ideas in his head ("I neeeed you~" etc ; I don't know you, but to me it's like he was trying to tell him "You can only trust me, all the other want is your power, they can't understand you" etc). Luke wasn't that bad before his conversation with him. But since then the man has been all he's had in mind -_-
yolin.shana is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fantasy