AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2012-12-21, 17:40   Link #25381
Xion Valkyrie

Amazon is using their profit as another resource for expanding their market. They really are in it for the long haul. A company doesn't need to have 'profits' to be a strong company.
Old 2012-12-22, 05:28   Link #25382
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xion Valkyrie View Post
Amazon is using their profit as another resource for expanding their market. They really are in it for the long haul. A company doesn't need to have 'profits' to be a strong company.
As long as their "long haul" continues to lower prices and foster fierce competition in the marketplace, I'm all for it. This is how businesses should be run--they should be engaged in a free-for-all, no-holds-barred beatdown for the prize of getting us to buy their stuff.

As long as they're busy trying to bludgeon their competitors with innovative new products, lower prices and higher quality goods--and not trying to legislate favorably for themselves, troll patents and bribe politicians to obtain a virtual right-to-profit...
Old 2012-12-22, 06:03   Link #25383
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
As long as their "long haul" continues to lower prices and foster fierce competition in the marketplace, I'm all for it. This is how businesses should be run--they should be engaged in a free-for-all, no-holds-barred beatdown for the prize of getting us to buy their stuff.

As long as they're busy trying to bludgeon their competitors with innovative new products, lower prices and higher quality goods--and not trying to legislate favorably for themselves, troll patents and bribe politicians to obtain a virtual right-to-profit...
Yes. As long as they have competitors.
Old 2012-12-22, 06:17   Link #25384
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Iran defense minister says NATO missiles harm Turkey security
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...8BL03I20121222
Seem like a ridiculous affirmation to me.
Old 2012-12-22, 06:35   Link #25385
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Yes. As long as they have competitors.
Theoretically, they'll always have competitors as long as they don't do anything too shady (since there will be a point where they can't drop prices any further without just flat-out losing their shirts, or doing things that are very illegal).

Amazon finally lost against the state of California; I can't buy stuff from them tax-free anymore. This would normally deter me from using Amazon, but with Prime two-day shipping and Amazon generally having very competitive prices, I still use them over other retailers.
Old 2012-12-22, 06:36   Link #25386
Tom Bombadil

Holidays for the superpower.

Old 2012-12-22, 13:11   Link #25387
willx
Nyaaan~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xion Valkyrie View Post
Not saying this is what Amazon is doing, but this is a response to the statement that you're making above. (see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Predatory_pricing)

You are incorrect by definition. A company does need to have profits to be a strong company. A company that doesn't make any profits is a "non-profit" ..

Ooh, I love the boom! Happy Holidays folks! (whether you're an aircraft carrier or not)
Old 2012-12-22, 16:13   Link #25388
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Egyptians vote on Islamist-inspired constitution
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...8BL03X20121222

Taliban bomb kills nine including minister at Pakistan rally
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...8BL09Y20121222
Old 2012-12-22, 16:14   Link #25389
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Aerobic training may burn more fat than a combination of weights and aerobics

Quote:
Quality time on the treadmill may be a better way to fight the flab compared to weight training or a combination of the two, a new study finds.

The study comes from Duke University Medical Center in Durham, North Carolina, and was published last week in the Journal of Applied Physiology.

"Given that approximately two-thirds of adults in the United States are overweight due to excess body fat, we want to offer clear, evidence-based exercise recommendations that will truly help people lose weight and body fat," says Leslie H. Willis, MS, an exercise physiologist at Duke Medicine and the study's lead author.

Researchers enlisted 234 overweight or obese adults in the study. Subjects were randomly assigned to one of three groups: resistance training three days per week (three sets per day, eight to 12 repetitions per set); aerobic training (walking/jogging 19 kilometers per week); or aerobic plus resistance training (three days a week, three sets per day, 8-12 repetitions per set for resistance training, plus 19 kilometers per week of walking/jogging).

The groups assigned to aerobic training and aerobic plus resistance training lost more weight than those who did just resistance training. The resistance training group actually gained weight due to an increase in lean body mass, the researchers noted.

Interesting, while the combination exercise group worked out longer than the other groups, their results were mixed. Participants did lose weight and fat mass, but the loss wasn't as significant as those who just trained aerobically.

"Balancing time commitments against health benefits, our study suggests that aerobic exercise is the best option for reducing fat mass and body mass," says Cris A. Slentz, PhD, a Duke exercise physiologist and study co-author. "It's not that resistance training isn't good for you; it's just not very good at burning fat."

The Duke team published a second study last year in the American Journal of Physiology, Endocrinology and Metabolism that found that vigorous aerobic activity trumps lifting weights when it comes to trimming belly fat.
US looks like the BEST place to open soylent plants and profit from the export of the green products, nothing beats high volume of products from low volume of raw materials and the stamp of "Made in USA". [/sarcasm]

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2012-12-22, 17:03   Link #25390
kyp275
Meh

Iowa Supreme Court: OK to fire 'irresistible' worker

I gotta admit, this is a new one.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/12/21/justic...html?hpt=hp_t4
Old 2012-12-22, 17:15   Link #25391
willx
Nyaaan~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyp275 View Post
Hm, having read the "Reasons for Judgement" -- based on the direct question of law posed to the Supreme Court, I understand their findings.

Remember, the lawsuit specifically queried whether he discriminated against her on the basis of her gender. The lawsuit was a gender discrimination one. What we have at issue here is a "question of law" not a "question of fact" ..

And I quote from the judge's findings (typos and all):

Quote:
As we have indicated above, the issue before us is not whether a jury could find that Dr. Knight treated Nelson badly. We are asked to decide only if a genuine fact issue exists as to whether Dr. Knight engaged in unlawful gender discrimination when he fired Nelson at the request of his wife. For the reasons previously discussed, we believe this conduct did not amount to unlawful discrimination, and therefore we affirm the judgment of the district court.
Now, if she had sued him for "wrongful termination due to sexual harassment" she'd have cause and could sue for damages. The law (usually) isn't that complicated. It's just a simple matter of facts and case law. Obviously though, she would have to prove sexual harassment did occur ..

Oh news articles and the ability to sensationalize everything..
Old 2012-12-22, 17:18   Link #25392
kyp275
Meh

Oh I know, I was referring more to his reason for firing her though

"Man you're hot...sorry, gotta let you go!"
Old 2012-12-22, 17:22   Link #25393
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Oh I know, I was referring more to his reason for firing her though

"Man you're hot...sorry, gotta let you go!"
Why don't they just transfer over to sales?

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2012-12-22, 17:23   Link #25394
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

And he only found out she was hot after ten years?
Old 2012-12-22, 18:09   Link #25395
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil View Post
Holidays for the superpower.

That is a LOT of money in one spot.

Quote:
Now there's the facepalm of the day... :P
Old 2012-12-22, 19:14   Link #25396
flying ^

Quote:

hmmm i'm seeing lots of cases like this lately...

... but a state SC rule on thiis?

UNPRECEDENTED!

-------

some (in)famous cases... past & present

Old 2012-12-23, 09:17   Link #25397
ChainLegacy
廉頗

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
Aerobic training may burn more fat than a combination of weights and aerobics

US looks like the BEST place to open soylent plants and profit from the export of the green products, nothing beats high volume of products from low volume of raw materials and the stamp of "Made in USA". [/sarcasm]
People really need to fix up their diet first. You can't exercise off all the McDonald's and soda you're drinking. Exercise can be a healthy addition, but it's become such a distraction from the main issue of people stuffing themselves with sugary food filled with artificial preservatives and other crap.
Old 2012-12-23, 17:08   Link #25398
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

India's gang-rape protesters defy moves to quell outrage
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...8BM02X20121223
Quote:
The Indian government moved on Sunday to stamp out protests that have swelled in New Delhi since the gang-rape of a young woman, banning gatherings of more than five people, but still thousands poured into the heart of the capital to vent their anger.
Old 2012-12-23, 17:10   Link #25399
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

Calculating a College Degree's True Value

Quote:
How much is a college diploma actually worth? The perennial question asked by every former English, philosophy, and art history major now has an answer in some states. For University of Virginia students, it pays to major in engineering—$60,300, on average, 18 months after graduation—rather than sociology ($33,154), or worse, biology ($27,209). In Tennessee, a graduate of Dyersburg State Community College with an associate’s degree in health earns an average $5,000 more than someone who majored in health and picked up a bachelor’s at the University of Tennessee at Knoxville, the state’s flagship school.
http://www.businessweek.com/articles...ees-true-value

Old 2012-12-23, 18:26   Link #25400
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

how did biology wind up at the worth less then ethnic studies? of course it does explain why i am selling inusrance when i study genetics.

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international