AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-11-22, 20:42   Link #17801
Xacual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless Soul View Post
R.I.P. Anne McCaffrey.

Some of my very first books that I bought with my own money were written by her.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
arh dang it.

some of my very first scifi books were her pern books.
Same for me. My sister gave me the dragonriders of pern and harper hall trilogy to read back when I was in elementary school to read. Very sad.

I was influenced by a certain group overflowing with madness and started trying to write a story. Please give it a try. Crashed into Fantasy
Old 2011-11-22, 22:29   Link #17802
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

South Africa MPs pass controversial 'secrecy bill'
Old 2011-11-23, 02:15   Link #17803
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Ping-pong diplomacy version 2.0 marks new era
Quote:
Dubai, UAE (Nov 22, Tue): In a 21st-century spin on ping-pong diplomacy, the United States and Russia and North and South Korea paired up in a one-day table tennis tournament today aimed at promoting peace between rival nations.

American Lily Zhang and Russian Anna Tikhomirova beat Kim Kyung Ah of South Korea and Kim Hye Song of North Korea 3-2 in the final. On the men's side, North Korea's Kim Hyok Bong and South Korea's Ryu Seung Min beat Fan Yiyong of the United States and Grigory Vlasov of Russia 3-0 to win the final.

"This event may mark a new era for ping-pong diplomacy or, in today's lingo, ping-pong diplomacy version 2.0," said International Table Tennis Federation president Adham Sharara.

Other teams included China-Qatar, India-Pakistan and France-Japan for the doubles event sponsored by Monaco-based Peace and Sport. Iran was initially part of the 10-nation tournament but withdrew last month without explanation.

AP
Well... we've had anime about nations and anime about mahjong. Where's my anime about epic ping-pong diplomacy version 2.0?
Old 2011-11-23, 06:00   Link #17804
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

China factory sector shrinks most in 32 months
http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/...7AM08P20111123
Old 2011-11-23, 08:20   Link #17805
sneaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneaker View Post
France about to loose its AAA rating, PIIGS beg for "Euro Bonds" yet again, with Merkel still playing a little reluctant, while the ECB continues to buy PIIGS papers despite its statues forbidding it to do so.
http://www.spiegel.de/international/...798994,00.html

Business as usual within the Euro zone, how long till the shit hits the fan?
Ok, now just two days later Germany couldn't sell all planned 6 billion Euros worth of its bonds at an auction with an interest rate of 1.98 %, only 3.89 billion. The rest will have to be sold on the secondary market.
Meanwhile the calls for Euro bonds are getting louder, with Merkel and Schäuble still playing reluctant. (Like they did with all other measures they eventually agreed to or didn't veto.) Of course the ECB is still continuing to buy PIIGS bonds, against all rules.
http://translate.google.de/translate...9497%2C00.html
http://translate.google.de/translate...9464%2C00.html
Old 2011-11-23, 14:25   Link #17806
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

China says to go ahead with Pacific naval drills
http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/...7AM0VH20111123
Quote:
China said Wednesday it will go ahead with naval exercises in the western Pacific this month, an announcement that came a week after Washington reinforced its Asia-Pacific footprint with plans to operate 2,500 U.S. Marines out of northern Australia.
Old 2011-11-23, 15:26   Link #17807
Paranoid Android
Underweight Food Hoarder

Send a message via MSN to Paranoid Android
Quote:
Originally Posted by ganbaru View Post
One thing the US Gov't has more than the Chinese is the never ending supply excuses to increase their military budget/spendings in the name of improving an obviously recessing economy.

I like how the comments to that article are making fun of Chinese's supposed mediocre military. It really shows where their concern lies.

----

I also recall the Canadian federal government is investing several billion dollars into expanding our naval fleet. I see a connection here, since we seem to mimic everything that the US is doing wrong.
Old 2011-11-23, 15:43   Link #17808
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

Russia may target US missile shield

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/...acf20958cd708b

Old 2011-11-23, 15:52   Link #17809
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Well the Chinese are suppose to be building up their navy to be something like five carriers, whcih is half what the US Navy has. The think is the US Navy tends to not be able to be in one place at a time...the Chinese Navy could. Thus the worry. Add to this the Chinese supposed "carrier-killing missiles" with about a 3,000 mile range, and nuclear weapons (which they've had for decades) andpeople worry.

China has not been considered an expansionistic power though most of its history. It tends to make everyone come to it. However it is expanding what it considers "China" and is making efforts to keep what it considers "China" under its control.

Unfortunately, the United States (and others) doesn't see all of what China thinks is "China" should be part of China...thus conflict. Taiwan being one of those conflicts of interest. Taiwan is heavily backed by the United States. The islands of the South China Sea are another conflict, though mostly with other nations that are not the United States, but would probably call on the United States if things went badly. The final thing is Japan, China's old rival for status in Asia. Japan has a "Defense Force" with little to no offesive ability. It is uncertain if the Japanese forces can defend against the new Chinese Navy and Air Force.

As for Russia, they have been worried about the US anti-missile system ever since it was announced, as it potentialy renders their deterrent ability useless. If the US did a nuclear first strike, the Russian responce could be countered, thus making the old Cold War concept of mutually assured destruction almost moot. (the fallout from Russia would likely still effect the rest of the planet). The reverse is also true (the intent the US had for the system), that a Russian first strike could be destroyed, and the responce would either destroy Russia, or the Americans could negotiate with a now toothless Russia from a position of strength.

Ever since Iran became a "threat" with its nuclear program, the missile defense system has been forward deployed to defend Eastern Europe and maybe Isreal from a nuclear missile from Iran...except that missiles from Iran would have to go over Russia to get to Europe, thus the defense system could also counter Russian missiles, and the forward deployment of them has been threatening to Russia ever since they were put there.
Old 2011-11-23, 17:04   Link #17810
AnimeFan188

Michele Bachmann’s Pakistan nuclear intelligence source revealed

""We have to recognize that 15 of the sites, nuclear sites are available or are
potentially penetrable by jihadists," Bachmann said. "Six attempts have already
been made on nuclear sites. This is more than an existential threat. We have to
take this very seriously.""

See:

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/envoy/mi...XN0Aw--;_ylv=3
Old 2011-11-23, 17:22   Link #17811
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Given her past exageration/fabulation, I would be carefull about the credibility of the information she said.
( Yes Pakistan's situation is to be taken seriously but do Pakistan have even up to 15 nuclear site ? )
Old 2011-11-23, 17:37   Link #17812
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Considering that Pakistan's main reason for having nuclear weapons is as a deterrent against India...I'm guessing they have more on their minds than the United States..who isn't entirely friendly with India either.
Old 2011-11-23, 17:54   Link #17813
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Considering that Pakistan's main reason for having nuclear weapons is as a deterrent against India...I'm guessing they have more on their minds than the United States..who isn't entirely friendly with India either.
It's sad that the world's two largest democracies don't have closer ties...
Old 2011-11-23, 18:42   Link #17814
Bri

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneaker View Post
France about to loose its AAA rating, PIIGS beg for "Euro Bonds" yet again, with Merkel still playing a little reluctant, while the ECB continues to buy PIIGS papers despite its statues forbidding it to do so.
http://www.spiegel.de/international/...798994,00.html

Business as usual within the Euro zone, how long till the shit hits the fan?
Shit hit the fan a while ago already and we are all standing down wind. I don't believe Euro bonds or rescue packages are going to make a difference now. It's up to the individual countries to make credible reforms.

Up till recently it looked like Spain was the Achilles heel. However Spain has been impressive in dealing with their budget problems and debt and the markets have rewarded them with stabilizing interest rates. The key problem now is Italy, if they can restore investor confidence as well with austerity measures Europe should be safe. It they can't it's difficult to predict what will happen, but I guess we will see a North/South fight on whose taxpayers will pick up the tab.
Old 2011-11-23, 19:39   Link #17815
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bri View Post
It they can't it's difficult to predict what will happen, but I guess we will see a North/South fight on whose taxpayers will pick up the tab.
Probably the North as usual, or at least it's their perception of the situation. The south isn't as rich and the organised crimes isn't helping them.
Old 2011-11-24, 06:51   Link #17816
Tom Bombadil

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganbaru View Post
Typical example of media trying to make something out of nothing. A similar exercise was conducted this summer in June, with 11 ships. They also did some similar exercises last year.

Considering US and Japan just concluded their exercise a couple of week ago with a carrier battle group (see below), another Chinese exercise with 6 ships (including supply ships) is somehow a "response" to other US moves in the region can't be more ridiculous.

Old 2011-11-24, 07:12   Link #17817
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

France seeks Arab backing for Syria intervention
http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/...7AM0QA20111124
Quote:
France will seek Arab support on Thursday for a humanitarian corridor in Syria, the first time a major power has swung behind international intervention in the eight-month uprising against President Bashar al-Assad.
Old 2011-11-24, 07:37   Link #17818
sneaker

Quote:
Shit hit the fan a while ago already and we are all standing down wind.
I meant until the "Average Joe" feels personal consequences, which is still not the case yet in Germany. Unemployment rate is currently lower than before the crisis (actually lowest since reunification 20 years ago), tax revenue is increasing, even the real wages are increasing a tiny bit, while they have been overall decreasing since the implementation of the Euro. (Unlike in other EU countries, where the wages have increased with the Euro)

Quote:
Up till recently it looked like Spain was the Achilles heel. However Spain has been impressive in dealing with their budget problems and debt and the markets have rewarded them with stabilizing interest rates. The key problem now is Italy, if they can restore investor confidence as well with austerity measures Europe should be safe. It they can't it's difficult to predict what will happen, but I guess we will see a North/South fight on whose taxpayers will pick up the tab.
Spain is very interesting. For some time they were the model student, paying off like 40% of their public debt until 2007. But just like the USA they had a huge housing bubble.

Currently the Italian Prime Minister Monti and French President Sarkozy are meeting with German chancellor Merkel. Can't be long until she gives in to Euro bonds and/or extended ECB intervention. (Not that the latter would matter, as the ECB already buys bonds all day long against the rules.)
Old 2011-11-24, 07:51   Link #17819
KhaL

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonQuigleone View Post
It's sad that the world's two largest democracies don't have closer ties...
You think India is a democracy?
Old 2011-11-24, 08:03   Link #17820
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Quote:
Originally Posted by KhaL View Post
You think India is a democracy?
They claim so.

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international