AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2014-02-13, 08:42   Link #1
Liddo-kun
is this so?

2nd CPU fan too noisy

Hi. I've finished installing a new motherboard. All is ok except the second fan (the one on the side is too noisy). Maybe it's spinning too fast? It wasn't noisy when my old motherboard was using it.

Can somene please help me on how to reduce the speed of a CPU fan, so that there's less noise? I can provide the brand of my new motherboard if that's needed. Thanks.
Liddo-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-13, 13:28   Link #2
Hiroi Sekai
ゴリゴリ!
*Graphic Designer

There are numerous options, depending on your build. My personal build has a case with a built in fan control switch (which you could purchase separately). Aside from that, you could try using SpeedFan, though it will require a little tweaking and such. If you can get into the BIOS, it may have options to control fan speed in there as well.

Make sure you grab CoreTemp afterwards to make sure your CPU is at a proper temperature. A cooled CPU is much more important than noise reduction.
Old 2014-02-13, 16:17   Link #3
iceyfw

refer to your motherboard manual to adjust the heatsink fan speed. i wouldn't trust any software aside from the bios or UEFI to control my fans RPM but that's just me.
iceyfw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-13, 19:52   Link #4
spikexp

What do you mean by the fan on the side?
The side panel? Or do you have an aftermarket CPU heatsink.

What is the fan (3-pin or 4-pin), what is the heatsink and what is the motherboard?
spikexp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-15, 08:24   Link #5
Liddo-kun
is this so?

Thanks everyone, and so sorry for replying late to this thread. I sort of got busy yesterday. ><

My new board is an EMX-A55FM2HD

This is the large fan at the side that got noisy. It worked just fine with the old board, so I thought the new board might be supplying too much power to the fan. My previous board lasted more than 8 years, and I think the cooling from this large fan helped the old board live that long.

Old 2014-02-15, 10:07   Link #6
spikexp

Ok, it is not the CPU fan, just the rear case fan (standard on almost all case).

Is the noise from it going too fast, or is it a grinding/whining noise from old age? Is it sound like it is going fast, or that it might have a problem?

Also, it cannot be supplied more power, it's 12v and whatever AMP it take.

The CPU fan should be connected to the cpu_fan header on the motherboard to control correctly.
The back fan should be on a sys_fan. It is however possible for the header to only take 4pin PWM and not 3pin voltage control. That would make the fan spin at max speed all the time.
spikexp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-15, 12:27   Link #7
sa547
*Author

Cheap low-quality fans that come for much less will surely screech after a few months.

Well, I think a better casing fan is in order, and I've been using DeepCool casing fans for more than a year; they're well-done, affordable, solid and are almost quiet. They also come in lots of varieties, be it regular, quiet or with lights:

http://www.deepcool-us.com/product/d...an/index.shtml

If you want full speed, the casing fan should be connected directly to the PSU's 4-pin molex, rather on the board.
Old 2014-02-16, 10:34   Link #8
Liddo-kun
is this so?

I appreciate all of the answers.

Problem has been fixed now.. the problem sort of fixed itself actually. Unpleasant noise from the fan just stopped on it's own. Will post again on this thread if the noise comes back.

@spikexp

The noise is sort of a grinding noise. It went on for about 2 days, then stopped.
Old 2014-02-17, 08:36   Link #9
Drkz
( ゚∀゚)アハハ八八ノヽノヽノヽノ \ / \/

http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php

So it wasn't going VROOOOM? That will sometimes happen if the humidity gets high or the temperature in the room gets hot.