AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Fullmetal Alchemist

Notices

Old 2009-08-18, 07:46   Link #181
GaimeGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7thFonon View Post
So I just finished watching Episode 20 of FMA Brotherhood and I am just confused.... Not sure how to make a spoiler icon, so I'll just give a warning that my post might be a spoiler to some....

spoilers

Anyways, I have a question about the humans transmuted (like Ed's Mom). I'm a little confused about this. The body in Ed's mother's grave was a male. So were there two grave-sites??

What I mean is.... Ed's mom died first (before transmutation) and she was buried. That was definitely Trisha (Ed's Mom).

So when Ed and Al fail at reviving Trisha, her in-human body is buried at a different location than her first grave-site right? It couldn't have been buried at the same grave-site she was originally buried in because Trisha's "real" body would still be there (since that Transmutation wasn't actually her), and Ed would see that there were now two bodies....

Then Al's soul went to that in-human body, but it was rejected.... So for the transmutation, Al basically traded his original body for another body (the transmuted body)? Who could they have possibly transmuted for that extra body when using their blood? At first I thought (using what I know from the first FMA) it could have been Al's body from the "other side", but that couldn't be since Ed said that the hair was black and Al's hair is more like blonde.

So I'm pretty confused on this whole subject. I've never read the manga, so there is probably more to come that will help me understand... But at this point, I'm just not getting what's going on with this "not actually being Ed's Mom".
That's all there is to it... you can't recreate someone's mind, body , and soul.

Spoiler for explanation:
GaimeGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-18, 11:04   Link #182
7thFonon
seventh

That makes sense. And now I get what Ed was saying about the memory of him, Al, and Winry on Episode 20 as well. Thanks for clearing that up for me =)
7thFonon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-19, 22:10   Link #183
wsheit
Combating Spoiler Scum

So this has probably been broached before, but I looked a bit and didn't see an easy way to get an answer without the threat of seeing some spoilers.

I watched the original series up to around ep 27, and I remember

Spoiler:
I got caught up in other things and never got to finish the series. Now, I'm watching Brotherhood and
Spoiler:
They've covered 25 eps in 10? So I went looking for plot summaries of the old series to refresh my memory. Some of the stuff in the old series seems like filler, but some of it (that isn't in the new series) seems substantive. Is Brotherhood leaving manga material out? Or did Bones come up with all of the extra stuff in the old series?
Old 2009-08-19, 23:15   Link #184
GaimeGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsheit View Post
So this has probably been broached before, but I looked a bit and didn't see an easy way to get an answer without the threat of seeing some spoilers.

I watched the original series up to around ep 27, and I remember

Spoiler:
I got caught up in other things and never got to finish the series. Now, I'm watching Brotherhood and
Spoiler:
They've covered 25 eps in 10? So I went looking for plot summaries of the old series to refresh my memory. Some of the stuff in the old series seems like filler, but some of it (that isn't in the new series) seems substantive. Is Brotherhood leaving manga material out? Or did Bones come up with all of the extra stuff in the old series?
Brotherhood is leaving some manga material out (for pacing/budget reasons, really), but the first anime literally did its own thing for the most part.

Let's put it this way: Nothing past ~chapter 30 (and not nearly everything from before chapter 30, and certainly not enough to be considered an adaptation trying to be faithful to the manga) of the manga was used in the first anime. A good deal of anime-original filler was created for FMA1 that has nothing to do with the manga canon, characters die in the show who aren't even dead yet in the manga (and vice versa), several of the homunculus (and other characters) were completely different, the main story is completely different, and many of the main characters in the first anime don't even exist at all in the manga (IE: Archer and Dante), and the majority of the characters that show up in the manga either have their roles greatly reduced or are omitted completely from the first anime.

Chapter 98 of Full Metal Alchemist just came out last week. It should finish within a year or so, at somewhere between 103-106 chapters (we're thigh deep in the final arc).

NOTHING past episode 13 in Brotherhood was touched upon in the first anime. Hell, the character death you mentioned happens at the very end of chapter 15 of the manga, but not until over 25 episodes are done in the first anime.
Old 2009-08-25, 09:56   Link #185
Rurik
Golden

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaimeGuy View Post
Chapter 98 of Full Metal Alchemist just came out last week. It should finish within a year or so, at somewhere between 103-106 chapters (we're thigh deep in the final arc)..
Wow, is this really oficial?

Can't wait to get fully updated on the Manga then. this manga is published montly, right?
Old 2009-08-25, 13:03   Link #186
Haladflire65
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rurik View Post
Wow, is this really oficial?

Can't wait to get fully updated on the Manga then. this manga is published montly, right?
Yeah, around the 10th of every month... Scans are up quite quickly, since FMA has such a huge fanbase.
Old 2009-08-25, 13:55   Link #187
Vicious108

They were pretty late this month actually... but yes it's usually on the 10th.

The waits keep getting harder too.
Vicious108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-25, 14:05   Link #188
Haladflire65
*Artist

Yeah, the cliffies are brutal. What is it with Arakawa and cliffhangers, anyway?
Old 2009-08-25, 15:19   Link #189
Vicious108

And Brotherhood hasn't been doing them justice unfortunately. Well save for episode 19 that is. That one was great.
Old 2009-08-31, 21:21   Link #190
velvet nightmare

just wondering what aspect of pride that makes him go so fast?

is it just a general ability from the stone? or an augmented ability that goes with his eye

i thought his body wasn't supposed to be so good because of his age

but to me it seems to be the best combat homunculus just because of speed
velvet nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-01, 01:15   Link #191
Charred Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by velvet nightmare View Post
just wondering what aspect of pride that makes him go so fast?

is it just a general ability from the stone? or an augmented ability that goes with his eye

i thought his body wasn't supposed to be so good because of his age

but to me it seems to be the best combat homunculus just because of speed
Your confusing Pride with Wrath. Pride has only been seen in one scene, and Pride is pretty damn slow.

Wrath is fast due to having gone through massive training all his life.
Charred Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-01, 02:28   Link #192
GaimeGuy

and his body IS slowed down and weaker from age. Which makes it scary to think about what he was like in his prime O_O
Old 2009-09-08, 23:51   Link #193
Krazzy Angel
despair v/s hope

I was just comparing the story of the first anime and the manga and found out that I could not remember much of the first series.
So I wanted to recall how was Hughes killed and how did the brothers react to the news of this death?
Old 2009-09-09, 12:54   Link #194
Vicious108

Hughes killed was killed almost exactly the same way. Only difference was that it was for learning different things. Mainly Juliet Douglas' identity.

Only like 20 episodes later did Ed and Al learn, they were in Reseembol then, in hiding, and they wanted to go out and beat up the homunculi but they were stopped by Roy and Armstrong IIRC.
Old 2009-09-10, 00:20   Link #195
Krazzy Angel
despair v/s hope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless Twilight View Post
Hughes killed was killed almost exactly the same way. Only difference was that it was for learning different things. Mainly Juliet Douglas' identity.

Only like 20 episodes later did Ed and Al learn, they were in Reseembol then, in hiding, and they wanted to go out and beat up the homunculi but they were stopped by Roy and Armstrong IIRC.
O.k now I can remember the scenes vaguely.
Old 2009-09-12, 11:13   Link #196
Kanish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charred Knight
Wrath is fast due to having gone through massive training all his life.
Really? I always imagined his eye allowed him to gather information at a much faster rate than a normal human could. That coupled with super human reflexes and speed make him the ultimate homunculus.
Kanish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-12, 11:27   Link #197
Sannom

Wrath's speed is a combination of his eye's power, Homonculus body and massive training. But what sets him apart is really the training.
Sannom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-15, 01:15   Link #198
takachsh
Unagi, Rice Bowl Love

A small question regarding a manga ----> anime scene from Brotherhood. Also since I have not read the manga.

Spoiler for FMA ep23:

Thx if anyone can answer this for me lol.
takachsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-15, 04:34   Link #199
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by takachsh View Post
A small question regarding a manga ----> anime scene from Brotherhood. Also since I have not read the manga.

Spoiler for FMA ep23:
Spoiler for Episode 23:
Old 2009-09-15, 05:53   Link #200
Ziziphus
Whatever

^Just as Shiroth said. And also, what made you feel so random actually was a proof of how badass Ling was. He's not only a skilled fighter but also a quick thinker, despite lack of alchemy skill!