Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-12-03, 11:42   Link #1
wavey_davey
Drifting through life~~

Send a message via AIM to wavey_davey Send a message via MSN to wavey_davey
Looking For A series Like Sailor Moon :)

I am currently downloading Yakikate Japan! as I found the first episode very funny ^^ but I was wondering, seeing as though Sailor Moon got me into anime, is there a series that is like it out and is available to download? thanks guys in advance ^^
Old 2004-12-03, 21:36   Link #2
ChibiDusk
Back From The Dead?

Why not try Sailor Moon Stars?
I think it's still unlicensed. You can find some subs around animesuki, just check out the series page. Also you might like some other Mahou (magic) girl shows like Nanoha. Nanoha is being subbed by The-Triad and is unlicensed, so you can find it here. I'm sure you'll enjoy it

If there is something specific about SM you liked that could be of help aswell.
Such as art, story, character, music, etc.

EDIT: can't forget about Uta-Kata, another great mahou shoujo series that is new to the scene. Currently unlicensed and being fansubbed, though quite slowly.

** next season be sure to check out Magical Boy Canon, looks to be entertaining!**
Old 2004-12-03, 21:42   Link #3
Lina Inverse
SL Aki fanclub president

Lookit there, someone else who made first contact by the means of Sailor Moon
Welcome to the wonderful world of mahou shoujo (magical girl) anime!
Yes, there are still many other mahou shoujo anime. Listing them all would take way too long, so I'll tell you much more efficient ways:

- You can go to the AniDB page for Sailor Moon:
http://anidb.ath.cx/perl-bin/animedb...=anime&aid=235
and click on the link for similar animes. That will give you recommendations by others on what anime you could like if you liked Sailor Moon.

- or, you can go to the Genre listing on AniDB:
http://anidb.ath.cx/perl-bin/animedb.pl?show=genre
and then check out the fitting genres ("Magic" would be a good one, or "Fantasy"...). That will give you a list of anime fitting in the same genre as Sailor Moon.
Old 2004-12-03, 23:06   Link #4
EV|RockLee
Rock Lee PWNz

Send a message via AIM to EV|RockLee Send a message via MSN to EV|RockLee
Mermaid Melody Pichi Pichi Pitch
Old 2004-12-04, 09:04   Link #5
ohtori_akio
Gold Saint of Pisces

The best magical girl series out there in my opinion are Revolutionary Girl Utena and Card Captor Sakura. They are both great but the former has a few of the Sailor Moon staff also involved in the production, including the director, and requires you to think....
Old 2004-12-04, 10:46   Link #6
wavey_davey
Drifting through life~~

Send a message via AIM to wavey_davey Send a message via MSN to wavey_davey
ah well I will check those out! thanks guys,
I liked the whole of Sailor Moon really the charactors, the skills, but it was mainly the mix of comedy action and romance what I really liked, and the fact you got to know the girls, hope that makes sense!

*edit* I am also watching My Hime as it reminds me slightly of Sailor Moon, and also because after watching up to episode 3 am really enjoying it alot, but anymore sugestions I wil welcome of course =)

Last edited by wavey_davey; 2004-12-04 at 12:08.
Old 2004-12-04, 19:30   Link #7
Lina Inverse
SL Aki fanclub president

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavey_davey
ah well I will check those out! thanks guys,
I liked the whole of Sailor Moon really the charactors, the skills, but it was mainly the mix of comedy action and romance what I really liked, and the fact you got to know the girls, hope that makes sense!

*edit* I am also watching My Hime as it reminds me slightly of Sailor Moon, and also because after watching up to episode 3 am really enjoying it alot, but anymore sugestions I wil welcome of course =)
Just wait until you see episode 4, you'll enjoy it even much more!
Another good series that just came to my mind is Dirty Pair Flash - check it out!
http://anidb.ath.cx/perl-bin/animedb...=anime&aid=402
Also, if you like whacky comedy, you should also try Excel Saga.
Old 2004-12-05, 09:27   Link #8
wao
OK.

I also suggest Revolutionary Girl Utena, it's got similar character designs, it's very attractive and well-animated, it's also got an EXCELLENT plot and direction. It can be a bit of a mindf!@# at times, but it really makes you think....

I don't usually watch mahou shoujo shows but one that I really did enjoy was Princess Tutu, I believe the director worked on Sailor Moon and Magic Users Club... It's definitely got humour (I really found Neko-sensei hilarious!) and it's really nice at some times. The use of classical music and the backgrounds/setting really creates a very nice atmosphere to the story. The characters themselves may seem a bit cliched and like something you've seen somewhere before, but this anime gives them depth and makes you realise even cliches have to come from somewhere and that they *can* have depth...
The character designer, who really is the one who came up with the concepts and ideas for the show, Ikuko Ito, was one of the chief animators/character designers for Sailor Moon as well. She also designed the characters and was the chief animator for Magic Users Club.
Old 2004-12-05, 17:53   Link #9
^danshi^
running bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiDusk
** next season be sure to check out Magical Boy Canon, looks to be entertaining!**
Please don't tell me this is a boy...
Closed Thread