AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Re:Zero

Notices

Old 2016-05-30, 16:29   Link #701
Mitrospeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Maw View Post
WN already seems evolving towards LNs in terms of tone. The 4th and 5th arcs don't sound nearly as brutal as the WN's 3rd arc going by what has been posted. It's dark mind you, but in a less unsettling way.
To be honest I think it doesn't really matter how the physical pain is inflicted. The main impact is still from the face value that this is actually happening right now and how it affects Subaru/other characters.

It almost feels like the WN version is leashing out at "that" certain scene, especially if it becomes tamer all the arcs afterwards. So for the overall tone and flow of the story I have to agree the LN version is better in my opinion.

I also prefer the twists the LN version has in comparison to the WN version.
Mitrospeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-05-30, 16:30   Link #702
bakato

Damn. Betelgeuse lost some serious screen time. In the WN, he killed Subaru 3 times and Puck killed him once. In the LN, it was reversed. I have mixed feelings about this. On one hand, I'm glad we won't get to see the horrifying scenes of Rem being tortured and Subaru wasting two loops being a vegetable, but the gore was arguably the best part and had a lot of impact.

Quote:
Originally Posted by larethian View Post
AgK I read but dropped because characters I've grown attached to kept dying in horrible ways. But it's not quite the same as Re:Zero. AgK is mostly tragedy and makes audience feel batshit despair by slaying the characters you as the audience have grown attached to. The (temporarily) surviving characters inside the story while feeling despair turn it into a drive for vengeance and a motivation for them to succeed in their revolution, thus moving the story forward in that manner.

In Re:Zero however, the despair to the audience stems from the MC's struggles in finding a solution to end the despair and the need to relive the bad ends not just wears away the MC but emotionally wears away the audience as well. Using Dark Souls as analogy, MC is playing Dark Souls. We are watching someone playing Dark Souls. You don't just move forward after a 'tragedy'. You relive the same or even progressively worsening shit together with the MC several times before you can actually move forward.

Also,
Spoiler for arc 4 spoiler:

I won't judge which is 'better' or 'worse' in M-satisfaction, just that they are different

I finally have time to go through this spoiler properly. I don't know how accurate this is for WN since I didn't read the parts supposedly covered by the LN, but it's vastly different from what I've read and it's a lot less brutal and less sadistic in the LN

I'll briefly highlight the main differences:
Spoiler for comparison with LN:
So Betelguese didn't torture at all?
bakato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-05-30, 16:46   Link #703
Iron Maw
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitrospeed View Post
To be honest I think it doesn't really matter how the physical pain is inflicted. The main impact is still from the face value that this is actually happening right now and how it affects Subaru/other characters.

It almost feels like the WN version is leashing out at "that" certain scene, especially if it becomes tamer all the arcs afterwards. So for the overall tone and flow of the story I have to agree the LN version is better in my opinion.

I also prefer the twists the LN version has in comparison to the WN version.
Agreed. The emotional impact of the arc still seem to be strong, but they're just delivered differently.

EDIT: One thing that does bother me though, is that the LN doesn't seem get across that Emilia had died, hence why Puck went berserk. But that might just be Larethain's wording and it's implied better.
Iron Maw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-05-30, 16:50   Link #704
Weroloz

The only thing I have to see is Betelgeuse getting his just deserts, everything else is managable.
Need to see that expression of his when Subaru punches him in the face, asking himself "What did I do to you?" and MC be like "I know what you did".

Spoiler for Vengeance:

That section just got my blood pumping with the build up and all (Subaru getting angry), but that aside do you think they
Spoiler for Breakdown:
or was that only in the WN?
Weroloz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-05-30, 17:48   Link #705
haseo0408

Quote:
AgK I read but dropped because characters I've grown attached to kept dying in horrible ways. But it's not quite the same as Re:Zero. AgK is mostly tragedy and makes audience feel batshit despair by slaying the characters you as the audience have grown attached to. The (temporarily) surviving characters inside the story while feeling despair turn it into a drive for vengeance and a motivation for them to succeed in their revolution, thus moving the story forward in that manner.

In Re:Zero however, the despair to the audience stems from the MC's struggles in finding a solution to end the despair and the need to relive the bad ends not just wears away the MC but emotionally wears away the audience as well. Using Dark Souls as analogy, MC is playing Dark Souls. We are watching someone playing Dark Souls. You don't just move forward after a 'tragedy'. You relive the same or even progressively worsening shit together with the MC several times before you can actually move forward.

Also,
Spoiler for arc 4 spoiler:

I won't judge which is 'better' or 'worse' in M-satisfaction, just that they are different

I finally have time to go through this spoiler properly. I don't know how accurate this is for WN since I didn't read the parts supposedly covered by the LN, but it's vastly different from what I've read and it's a lot less brutal and less sadistic in the LN

I'll briefly highlight the main differences:
Spoiler for comparison with LN:
Since the considers Subaru´s struggle heartwarming way to reach a happy ending I think sooner or later would find out that:

Spoiler for MWT:

Regarding the light novel most likely the volume that ends the arc will be published before the anime reaches that part, it´s going to be 25 episodes after all.
haseo0408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-05-30, 18:06   Link #706
Iron Maw
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by haseo0408 View Post
Since the considers Subaru´s struggle heartwarming way to reach a happy ending I think sooner or later would find out that:

Spoiler for MWT:

Regarding the light novel most likely the volume that ends the arc will be published before the anime reaches that part, it´s going to be 25 episodes after all.
Spoiler for MWI/MWT:
Old 2016-05-30, 18:16   Link #707
beast 666
Dragon Of The Destruction

well, apparently the favorite arc of the public is arc 3, that worries me is the adaptation since they could ignore a gore scenes and scenes of Subaru despair (not to mention the scene of the killing of the v4 in the LN). Something that really bothers me is in the anime to change the attitude Betelguese since with only hear her horrible laugh can you describe it without mentioning it (I hope to see it as an intimidating antagonist).

For my the WN is much better in many respects than the LN, since LN not adapted many things, not to mention the attitude of Subaru changes a lot in the LN, the only good aspect of the LN is the design of the characters is much better than the WN.
Old 2016-05-30, 18:20   Link #708
Iron Maw
Banned

You're not going to see any gore in the anime period, so you're better off learning Japanese and reading the WN on your own if that's what your hoping for.

Regulations and all that.
Old 2016-05-30, 21:43   Link #709
larethian

Typing this rq on mobile.

Spoiler for replies to arc 3 comparisons:
larethian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-05-30, 21:59   Link #710
bakato

Quote:

Dafuq? If what you're saying is true, then Betelguese's actions aren't nearly as rage inducing. Poor Rem, instead of being tortured, her time in the spotlight's been stolen by Emilia. Has the author gone Mikumo?
bakato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-05-30, 23:49   Link #711
blueexorcist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Maw View Post
Spoiler for MWI/MWT:
Quote:

Wow.. I think LN and WN is still pretty sadistic.. Subaru still suffer alot.. In LN, he and Rem may not be tortured.. But still the emotional and mental pain of seeing the death over and over again, I wonder how he can live with it... I feel that is like the worse kind of torture there is.. And on top of that introduce the MWT, how will this going to be a happy ending for him if he knows he leaves all the parallel worlds in tragedy with his death...
blueexorcist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-05-31, 00:53   Link #712
goyya214
[][][][][]

now imagine what happens with the appearance of "Lust".... with our sadistic author

goyya214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-05-31, 01:19   Link #713
Fenrisulfr
私たち”友達”だから

Seeing both versions of vol 3's summaries I feel like the wn would be the way to go for a fan since it's the original story with the full bread and butter, I want to experience the raw version first before trying the trimmed down ln version. But it's basically if you prefer the larger volume WN or LN which reads better and with better pacing but missing a lot of misc details.

@Lare: Do you mind me asking
Spoiler for question:

I saw people asking for the QnA from the fan wiki to be translated so here it is, I only got halfway though, it's about the length of a wn chapter

Spoiler for Wiki QnA:
Fenrisulfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-05-31, 02:14   Link #714
Iron Maw
Banned

Quote:

Yep, that is reason I prefer LN over WN is that is just less repetitious which helps the pacing. Some of his deaths feel a bit extraneous in WN. Beyond that I'm fine whatever version.

EDIT:
Spoiler for Ram:

Last edited by Iron Maw; 2016-05-31 at 03:08.
Old 2016-05-31, 03:22   Link #715
larethian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenrisulfr View Post
Seeing both versions of vol 3's summaries I feel like the wn would be the way to go for a fan since it's the original story with the full bread and butter, I want to experience the raw version first before trying the trimmed down ln version. But it's basically if you prefer the larger volume WN or LN which reads better and with better pacing but missing a lot of misc details.

@Lare: Do you mind me asking
Spoiler for question:

I saw people asking for the QnA from the fan wiki to be translated so here it is, I only got halfway though, it's about the length of a wn chapter

Spoiler for Wiki QnA:
Spoiler for reply about Puck's admonition:

Spoiler for about MWI from arc 4 trial 2:

Last edited by larethian; 2016-05-31 at 03:38.
larethian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-05-31, 04:03   Link #716
Iron Maw
Banned

So it's just a theory at this point, huh?

I see.
Old 2016-05-31, 08:37   Link #717
tsunade666

I also prefer the WN but that is for more details only. The torture and vegetative state also show how low he had become but probably my favorite part is the continues battle against the white whale. Its like when your facing a major boss battle inside a game. you don't just do it once but you do it until you killed it.
Old 2016-05-31, 08:59   Link #718
Mizo

Spoiler:

mean Subaru will become stronger in what ?! >_>
Mizo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-05-31, 13:36   Link #719
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

I like how this anime episode basically had TWO female characters who started to develop feelings towards Subaru.

Spoiler:
Old 2016-05-31, 14:43   Link #720
Triok123

Quote:
Originally Posted by aohige View Post
I like how this anime episode basically had TWO female characters who started to develop feelings towards Subaru.

Spoiler:
just wandering when will be emilia's turn..we all know it won't be in arc 3..
Triok123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alternate world, not harem, reborn, thriller, time travel, webnovel