AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross > Past Macross Series

Notices

Old 2011-05-31, 06:43   Link #381
wisteria233

Quote:
Originally Posted by karice67 View Post
It's characterisation that's spread over the first two volumes (and probably over the last two, but I haven't gotten to them yet) so I don't know if I can even summarise it properly, but let's see how it goes.

Spoiler for just in case (mini 1st movie spoiler too):
I kinda guessed that he had gender identity problems. I wished this had been pronounced in the tv series, as I guessed that it was there but it was impossible to convince that it was there.

Interesting, its not that Alto can't understand its that he doesn't want to understand, episode 24 kinda gave me that impression.

I really want to read the novels now, you don't know how jealous I am of you.
wisteria233 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-31, 07:30   Link #382
magnuskn

Meh, makes me want to declare the novels non-canon. ^^
Old 2011-05-31, 11:10   Link #383
ShinyBunny

Most people have known he has gender issues. You just seem to think because he has gender issues he had to have someone who made him feel manly that he could protect, not someone who challenged him.
ShinyBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-31, 13:58   Link #384
Thess

I thought it was obvious he had? Even in the make love scene, it seems he's vindicated as a "man" of sorts.

"Who would understand you after I die? Who else would march forward by your side?"
Thess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-31, 15:48   Link #385
magnuskn

Oh, the ones of the obvious kind I agree with, like him getting angry initially at getting called "Princess" or that street seller calling him a lady. But I personally don't see it as going all that deeper from what was presented in the TV series. What goes on in the novels is a separate issue, of course.
Old 2011-06-01, 00:21   Link #386
Darthtabby

Quote:
Originally Posted by karice67 View Post
It's characterisation that's spread over the first two volumes (and probably over the last two, but I haven't gotten to them yet) so I don't know if I can even summarise it properly, but let's see how it goes.

Spoiler for just in case (mini 1st movie spoiler too):
I'm of somewhat mixed feelings about this. On one hand I don't want to dismiss something's canonicity just because I want to stick to reading the characters the way I'd read them previously. On the other hand however I really feel that if something is that important it should be made clear in the main material itself, not left for other sources to bring to light.

All that being said, would you be willing to provide some details about what the book said about what this meant for Alto? Or did it actually say anything about the effects it had on him? Are we left to form our own conclusions completely or did it spell some things out?

Your own bit of speculation is interesting although I'm not sure I buy into it completely at this point. Even if it would be a good counter to use against the people who keep accusing Alto of being stupid or dense. :lol:
Darthtabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-01, 01:18   Link #387
karice67
さっく♥ゆうきゃん♥ほそやん

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthtabby View Post
On the other hand however I really feel that if something is that important it should be made clear in the main material itself, not left for other sources to bring to light.
Hm...to be absolutely honest, by the time I got to relevant parts in the second volume about a month or two ago, I had already come around to the characterisation that's in the novel. The episode 10 commentary was what got me thinking about what to make of Alto, so I went looking (in the forum and on RC) to see what others thought at the time, and came across some interesting posts by Swampstorm and musouka. One thing to note though, is that they didn't spelled everything out, at least at first, but instead gave hints and places to start analysis from.

Based on some of their 'flagposts', one thing that became clear to me during the rewatch is that the characterisation IS there in the series, but it's not obvious, and most people ignore it because they're more interested in certain aspects of the show (e.g. the love triangle, or perhaps the mecha/battles. I know I've gone nuts about valkyries since I saw the "All that VF" clips a couple of months back...).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthtabby View Post
All that being said, would you be willing to provide some details about what the book said about what this meant for Alto? Or did it actually say anything about the effects it had on him? Are we left to form our own conclusions completely or did it spell some things out?
Oh it spells things out alright, though it's not as bad as some of you might think. But, as I've indicated above, a lot of was actually picked out from the series when it was airing/just after it finished. I don't want to go into any of it now (not to mention I'd have to go find the novel pages again...) though I might in another month's time or maybe when I've actually finished the novels in say...6 months time. On the other hand, I might also decide that I don't want to post stuff that might influence people too much, although figuring out 'what's up with Alto' has made me appreciate Frontier a lot more than I did the first time I saw it.

But if you want to try reconsidering the series, the following comment by Swampstorm is a good starting point:

Spoiler for in case there are ppl who don't want to see it, and besides, this is the novel thread, not the series thread:

If I might say one last thing, I was pretty ambivalent about Alto until about 2-3 months ago. Now that his character actually makes sense to me, he's overtaken Michel as my fav male character in Macross F. Pity I can't change my selections in the character poll...

How Suetsugu Yuki drew the cover for Chihayafuru volume 34

Interview translations etc

You must free yourself from that illusion,
from the illusion that a story must have a beginning and an end.

"No, you are not entitled to your opinion... You are only entitled to what you can argue for.”
- Patrick Stokes

Last edited by karice67; 2011-06-01 at 02:08.
karice67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-16, 12:05   Link #388
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard

Here's some "Macross the Ride" for y'all:

Old 2011-07-16, 12:48   Link #389
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

Yot, those are fucking sexy. I need to get my hands on a Cheyenne!

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Tak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-16, 13:04   Link #390
magnuskn

That is seriously some of the hottest stuff I've seen in years, outside of good Sheryl pics.
Old 2011-11-10, 13:21   Link #391
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard

The rest of the Macross the Ride title splash pages:

Old 2011-11-10, 14:03   Link #392
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

Unable to identify last unit. Looks like a transformable Quead...

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Tak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-10, 14:17   Link #393
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
Unable to identify last unit. Looks like a transformable Quead...

- Tak
It's apparently a "Queadluun Alma."

I don't think it's transformable, though...
Old 2011-11-12, 13:24   Link #394
ReddyRedWolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yot-chan View Post
It's apparently a "Queadluun Alma."

I don't think it's transformable, though...

It looks suspiciously like a Feios Valkyrie.

Also the YF-27-5 has Neo Glaugs with it?!

Figures as Galaxy Anonymous unmanned fighters.

Last edited by ReddyRedWolf; 2011-11-12 at 14:37.
ReddyRedWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-13, 04:49   Link #395
sa547
*Author

I disagree with some troller's earlier assertion (here and MWF) that the light novels do not complement or supplement the movies. If anything, based on my experience with the Marimite franchise, these books helps provide at least more than one way and angle of looking at a saga.
Old 2011-11-13, 05:58   Link #396
magnuskn

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa547 View Post
I disagree with some troller's earlier assertion (here and MWF) that the light novels do not complement or supplement the movies. If anything, based on my experience with the Marimite franchise, these books helps provide at least more than one way and angle of looking at a saga.
The problem only comes out of Macross Frontiers multiple continuities. There are by now the TV series, the novels, the movies, the movie novels, the manga series, the Sheryl manga series and whatnot. It's impossible to say at this point that the light novels do canonically work with the TV series, as they also have a good number of story departures from each other.
Old 2011-11-14, 01:53   Link #397
karice67
さっく♥ゆうきゃん♥ほそやん

IMHO, that topic may be more suitable for the thread on Macross 'Canon', even though it technically can go in this thread too...
karice67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-31, 01:28   Link #398
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Send a message via Yahoo to Yu Ominae
Anyone got spoiler stuff on what happened to all the characters after "Macross: The Ride?" Can't find decent info.

Even if we were at odds with each other, I still thank you for training me, Instructor Bowman - Yu Ominae, reflecting on Bowman's death after killing him in Phantom Island
Yu Ominae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-18, 18:05   Link #399
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yu Ominae View Post
Anyone got spoiler stuff on what happened to all the characters after "Macross: The Ride?" Can't find decent info.
Which book is that in? I can check.
Old 2014-07-10, 17:44   Link #400
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Send a message via Yahoo to Yu Ominae
Probably the last volume of it.

Even if we were at odds with each other, I still thank you for training me, Instructor Bowman - Yu Ominae, reflecting on Bowman's death after killing him in Phantom Island
Yu Ominae is offline   Reply With Quote