AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Valkyria Chronicles

Notices

Old 2011-01-02, 16:08   Link #601
Snowman24

Dang it, I REALLY need to buy VC2 for my PSP I got for Christmas now!! I want to look at these spoilers and tabs, but don't want to spoil my game experience when I finally get my game.

I might also dish out a VC2 fanfic, once I finish my game... which I don't have yet.
Snowman24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-02, 19:04   Link #602
KiraYamatoFan
Banned

I've been playing COD: Black Ops a lot recently, and I'm just throwing up an idea in the air.

Again I don't have the skills to write anything, but I had that silly idea where Selvaria somehow survived the final flame of the Valkyria but consumed all her power to inexistent level and making her a mere mortal, then she saw the extent of Maximilian's betrayal as

Spoiler for strong link with the storyline in Black Ops:

I thought it would give someone a good first line to start with. I always thought Selvaria would look good in doing what Reznov does in Black Ops.

Last edited by KiraYamatoFan; 2011-01-02 at 22:45.
KiraYamatoFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-03, 00:49   Link #603
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

Well, in my sketches for an imperial perspective of the war, I did eventually get to the point where Selvaria hid her powers and trained to fight like an ordinary soldier. She then returns in disguise to Max's side to help him with his war against the Federation, now that Gallia had been conquered.
Old 2011-01-03, 21:25   Link #604
Owlette

Hey, I enjoy your story, "Lone Wulf", Runty. You did so fantastic job on that! I already hooked to read more and all after, aha. I'm now at 6th Ch. I also like the idea of one girl joined the Class G for your new story. Please do! It will be cool to see some original VC characters again.

Anyway -- I just finished a few chapters for the start. I still have not decide about the title for my fanfic story yet... I still continue to work on more chapters after third chapter, so I just think twice for something... Is it true that VC fans would prefer to see more fan OCs from VC series than VC OCs? I ask this question because I am not good at following exactly what VC characters do and their attitudes too. I'm terrible at that... I feel VC OCs, minor or guest VC characters, and Ace Enemies (from VC series) are easy for me to make up any personality and any appearance so I can create a fanfic story. I already finished with researching, watching Anime, and completed the game on PS3, so... So what will you suggest something? *rubs my chin*
Owlette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-04, 00:47   Link #605
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

VC has a large cast and you may have difficulty keeping everyone in character if you don't keep track of your cast. That said, have fun writing. That's the most important thing for fanfiction.
Old 2011-01-04, 04:09   Link #606
DC20

Quote:
...have fun writing. That's the most important thing for fanfiction.
^ Any advice anyone gives on the subject of OC use, that comes first.

That said, there's been a lot of discussion on OC use in the fandom. You'll get a different answer depending on who you ask. As a personal preference, I would much rather not see a fan OC when a game character can be used, and would argue that when a game character can be used, he/she should. I assume that's what you mean when you say VC OC's (enemy aces and such... characters that aren't really given much [if any] screen time or personality, but are used to tell a story anyway). Most of the characters don't have much (if anything) set in stone regarding their history, family/personal life, goals/dreams/aspirations - you can do pretty much anything you want with them. Even their personalities only have a general direction, and give room for a whole lot of variance. Writing about the side characters is pretty much writing OCs - except they're actually canon characters.

THAT said, there are also a lot of people within the fandom that don't mind fan OCs, and there's nothing wrong with using one for a story (see the quote block above). There are also going to be stories that require using fan OCs because there aren't any canon characters that can fill the role and be able to tell the same story. In cases like that, you absolutely should use a fan OC - don't try to fit a canon character where he/she doesn't belong.

There was a decently lengthy discussion about OC use within the VC fandom on one of fanfiction's VC forums. Here's the link to the entire discussion - it goes more in depth on how a number of people in the fandom feel about OC use in Valkyria Chronicles Fan Fictions.

http://forum.fanfiction.net/topic/61341/25285106/1/

To beat a dead horse, though,
Quote:
...have fun writing. That's the most important thing for fanfiction.

Runty:

1) You don't sound like a jerk. Didn't have internet for the past two weeks. I've just about finished your newest chapter - You'll hear from me soon.

2)
Spoiler for Randy:

3) Good call with Aisha.
DC20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-04, 04:53   Link #607
Snowman24

^ Wow, 2 weeks without a computer... musta been hell. Lots of stories have been updated in that time, mine included.

Lol, I was hoping I could count on a well rounded review, as always given by you for my most recent chapter in 'Adventures in War'. :P Glad you're still around.

Also, I'm slightly worried about Mr. Wang. He's been MIA over at the fanfiction site for a long long time now, rarely here too. Been looking forward to his next chapter of 'Oridinarly Extraordinary' for months now
Old 2011-01-04, 05:49   Link #608
Owlette

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC20
I assume that's what you mean when you say VC OC's (enemy aces and such... characters that aren't really given much [if any] screen time or personality, but are used to tell a story anyway).
Yes, you're right. I talked about minor characters 'cause I'm good at that.

And, thank you so many for the link! It does look so informative. After I read yours, I feel pretty much relief that I picked some minor characters, and very fewer OCs of my own for supporting characters. OK, I'll look up to read posts soon -- in that link you showed me. Yeah, I should enjoy to write, so I'll see what I can do. Again, thank you for your help. =)
Old 2011-01-04, 14:17   Link #609
DC20

Actually it was really nice.

Anyway, I saw that Adventures in War was updated, and it's definitely on my list of things to do. I'm looking forward to it - it's been a while since that fic was updated, and I'd been waiting for a new chapter.

Mr. Wang is still around. He posts pretty often in the Class E forum. I'd love to see his fic updated as well, though, as it's one of the few fan OC stories on the site I actually enjoy (so it CAN be done, Owl).

And no problem, Owl. Bottom line, just write whatever the Hell floats your boat. I'm looking forward to when you put your story out : D
DC20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-04, 18:11   Link #610
Mr. Wang
Scholar of Yanderes
*Author

Send a message via Yahoo to Mr. Wang
Crap, so apparently my faked "death" didn't work out so well...

Snowman, believe me, I try to put my time and effort into that fic, and I expect some good things out of this next chapter. It's just... well, let's say that I have several... obstacles preventing me from finishing it. I actually made it a New Year's resolution to finish the damn thing.

But... well Runty, as much as you say you suck for not updating often, it's been 9 months since I've updated my story, and that's... pretty bad. Ugh... makes me sorta feel bad for keeping you guys in the dark for a while about my progress. Believe me, I intend on finishing the story.

Okay Owlette, as a writer who has already tried what you're contemplating on doing, let me just say this... if you make a story entirely out of OC's, and you're having trouble following the canon character's personalities, the story won't be... generally well-received. That, and I've seen several other OC fics, and apparently mine's still one of the few surviving. If you can, try to create a... template personality that you'd like for a character. Then, double-check the roster of VC. If you go on, say, www.europanchronicles.com, or the Valkyria Wiki, try to see if a character under your template matches, or is even remotely close to an existing character. As DC20 said, there's a lot of characters out there, and not much is put into them (I personally don't see much difficulty in following them), so there's a lot to expand. And, if you're sure that your new character is going to fulfill a role that other characters can't quite fit, then making your OC is the way to go. DC20 once mentioned that my original character served as a... viewfinder of sorts. Providing third part views, and interesting perspectives and portrayals of Squad 7. That sort of thing. I... probably have more to say about original characters and their writing, though if you have further questions I'll try to answer them.
Old 2011-01-04, 20:04   Link #611
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

If it's any consolation, some of my fics on ff.net had been dormant for years. Real life (read: work) does that to people.
Old 2011-01-05, 01:07   Link #612
Owlette

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wang View Post
If you go on, say, www.europanchronicles.com, or the Valkyria Wiki, try to see if a character under your template matches, or is even remotely close to an existing character.
Thank you for your help. =) Sounds useful to me, so I'll try that. And I already picked some minor Imperial characters for main and supporting characters. I also made one new original character (or maybe two, I still haven't decide what I should add a few more OCs or not) because Empire's side have a lack of female characters; only two female characters are Selvaria and now Lydia.

Ah, yes, I am familiar with the Valkyria Wiki but the another link that I'd never seen it before. But I clicked it and it said,

"Not Found Sorry,
but you are looking for something that isn't here."

What did you try to show me something?
Old 2011-01-05, 01:18   Link #613
Mr. Wang
Scholar of Yanderes
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owlette View Post
Ah, yes, I am familiar with the Valkyria Wiki but the another link that I'd never seen it before. But I clicked it and it said,

"Not Found Sorry,
but you are looking for something that isn't here."

What did you try to show me something?
I thought something was wrong with the site too, but there's nothing wrong with it... At the top of the page, there's a few tabs labled, "Anime," "Dictionary," and "Gameplay." I recommend dictionary, as there's probably a few things there you could find on the wiki, but other things that are unique to this site in particular. It's generally like the wiki, though goes a bit more in-depth on certain things...
Old 2011-01-05, 01:44   Link #614
Owlette

OK, thanks again. =)
Old 2011-01-05, 02:01   Link #615
Snowman24

I have a question, it has to do with one of my fanfics, 'Just My Luck'

I decided to have the Imperials speak another language, other than that of Gallia. Though I'm not sure what to call it, those who have read it, they speak German. But I'm not sure if that's what I want to call their language, since this is an alternate reality and earth.

I thought about calling it just "Imperial" or "Imperium" . Because 'Imperianese' sounded kind of lame, any ideas what the langauge of the Empire could be called??

The same applies to Gallia, they speak a different language than the Empire and up till now, I've just been calling their language 'Gallian' or should I just call it 'English' as in our language.
Old 2011-01-05, 02:08   Link #616
Owlette

Actually, you're not alone. I was considered the same thing too. I just call it "Imperial" 'cause I still can't think of good name for that language. I just give Gallia's language is English as well. But i can't help it but I thought it is kinda of strange 'cause it seems VC only have one language for all countries. (O.o)
Old 2011-01-05, 02:26   Link #617
Beri270T3

Snow, why not try using another Germanic tribe's name for the language? Imperial alone doesn't sound overly great since it's pretty much a multi-national and multi-ethnic Alliance of nations if one goes by the in game encyclopedia. Naturally there might be an official "Imperial dialect" of the language. Of course you wouldn't want to get caught up with twenty seven languages from German to Slovenian. It is easy to get creative though if one takes a quick look back to some our earlier histories and grabs a regional or tribal name. Take Gallia for example. France is still called Gallia in Hellenic (Greek), but thats derived from Gaul, so names that could be used aside from Gallian could be Gaulish or Gallic.

Gallia might also have the same sort of thing happen where there are multiple languages in use throughout the nation and even possibly more than one language in official use (Like Belgium or Switzerland), including one of the various dialects familiar throughout the Empire. "Gallian" works for a language though. Plus you could also pretend they are speaking another language and we don't have to think of it as English. Even a few words or phrases could help us think it is something else entirely. Ever read a novel where the characters speak German or sign language ("Clan of the Cave Bear" FTW) and even though you read it in English you still pretend?

One key thing though is consistency.
Beri270T3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-05, 02:48   Link #618
Mr. Wang
Scholar of Yanderes
*Author

^ Kind of taking what he said, if you can't make up gibberish to call something, a lot can be learned by looking up the history of certain countries, in order to make appropriate names for things in the VC universe. For example, I basically made my own list of VC country names, equivalents for several existing European countries from our world. Like what Beri above me said, I actually called Germany "Alamannia," named after the Germanic Alamanni tribes. It makes sense, it sounds exotic, and it still feels as though it fits right into the world of Europa.

So, by all means, if you're having trouble for your fic, make the Imperials speak Alamannian, or if you want, look some historical stuff on Germany, see some ancient names that could work for it. I mean, personally, I think of the Imperials in my version of Europa speaking Krievijan
Old 2011-01-05, 03:16   Link #619
Beri270T3

^ Like what Wang said. He's better at translating my madness into normal people speak. I went the same basic route in my false starts and practice exercises to see how I could get a feel for the world (yeah I'm a procrastinator at putting one up). Amongst those I went more complicated by selecting seven languages instead to develop more personality and give myself more the feel of multi-nationality, even with some cross language use between two and some struggling at understanding one another.

Even with the Gallian perspective I did select four or five languages to develop individual personalities, especially when you consider the diverse set of family names amongst Squad Seven. It can also be used to create tension when they don't understand one another too well, or if you've got someone speaking behind another person's back in a language they cannot understand.
Beri270T3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-07, 02:57   Link #620
Snowman24

Hehe, anyone up for a preview of my next incomplete chapter for "Just My Luck" starring Claudia Mann. Any of my regulars readers and reviewers; DC20, Huhn, Mr. Wang, Runty, Vandenbz??

First reply gets it, just curious if what I got is any good. It's not quite done, but about 1/2 way or close to 3/4.

Tags
fanfiction