AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2011-07-16, 14:14   Link #161
Kismet-chan
The Chaotic Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by liro View Post
Ew, She's just overused. I like her role as Nadeko and Charlotte, tho.
Well, Hanazawa IS a person just like the rest of us. I'm pretty sure she's gotta pay her bills SOMEHOW.
Kismet-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-16, 15:25   Link #162
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
That's pretty much the main reason I picked this show up (the other being Brain's base).

She's not a lot of anime this season, at least when compared to before.
She's in Dantalian as well...
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-16, 15:26   Link #163
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinstrife View Post
Whew thank you guys. Was starting to wonder if I had gone off the deep end, or if there were others going off with me.
Little sisters are cute vs. little sisters are annoying is a classic divide between anime fandom factions,

I want to know more about this village, about their Gods, about Aki, about the male lead, things of substance. I could do less with Utao training day at the park, and more with real substance.[/QUOTE]

I didn't think this episode lacked substance. Unlike a lot of little sisters, I don't think that Utao will end up just being a side character, they seem to be setting her up as an active participant in the conflict. At the very least, she personalizes the conflict for Kyohei.

This episode taught me about Utao's perspective on being a Seki - for her, it seems to be a matter of impressing her brother and getting to play around with the world's coolest RC toy. She certainly doesn't appear to have an awareness of the problems Kyohei and Aki perceive the village as having.

I also learned that Kyohei once perceived Kukuri in much the same fashion Utao does, and that he was supposedly "fired" from being a Seki (I'm not sure I buy that).

Oh, and Kukuri got seen by the mad scientist girl whose dad is a policeman. So it set another subplot in motion.

Not bad for a calm before the storm type episode IMO. No info dumping, but I get the impression this series intends to trickle the info out anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accelolita_ View Post
Nope, definitely not the only one. I can't say I dislike her, but I think she's annoying and I'd rather like to see more Aki than Utao....
And 3 of my friends who watch this series think so, too. That she's an annoying little brat
I might have called her a brat during episode 1. Episode 2 developed her beyond that, IMO.

(This is why I'm being careful about complaining about, say, Hibino being a shallow love interest or Aki being a generic psychopath... we simply don't know much about them yet. And in Aki's case, I suspect he is going to get more interesting, not sure about Hibino though.)

Signature courtesy of Ganbaru.
0utf0xZer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-16, 16:01   Link #164
Accelolita_

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0utf0xZer0 View Post
I might have called her a brat during episode 1. Episode 2 developed her beyond that, IMO.

(This is why I'm being careful about complaining about, say, Hibino being a shallow love interest or Aki being a generic psychopath... we simply don't know much about them yet. And in Aki's case, I suspect he is going to get more interesting, not sure about Hibino though.)
Well, I read the manga (the chapters that are translated) and she's still annoying to me. Okay, she has her cute moments, but she is still somehow annoying, I'm sorry
Accelolita_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-16, 16:40   Link #165
Ziziphus
Whatever

I really don't get how one can hate Utao. She hasn't done anything wrong other than being what she is, a little sister. But for an imouto character I find her extremely well-behaved and likable. She doesn't talk much so she can't really grate on your ear. She's still a little girl but she always tries very hard and doesn’t neglect her study. She’s clumsy and tends to make mistakes but she doesn’t fret over it. I think she’s quite sensible and mature for a kid her age. What’s more can you ask from an imouto? And I’m not even talking about all the adorable little faces she makes, but that’s more a matter of taste I guess.

Quote:
Unlike a lot of little sisters, I don't think that Utao will end up just being a side character, they seem to be setting her up as an active participant in the conflict. At the very least, she personalizes the conflict for Kyohei.
Yeah, I think Utao will just be as important as Aki in the story. She’s the controller of Kukuri, the main doll. She’s an important player as much as (or even more than) anyone else. (although haven’t read the manga, I could be dead wrong about this but I strongly doubt it.)

Quote:
This episode taught me about Utao's perspective on being a Seki - for her, it seems to be a matter of impressing her brother and getting to play around with the world's coolest RC toy. She certainly doesn't appear to have an awareness of the problems Kyohei and Aki perceive the village as having.
Hmm, my impression is that she’s more or less aware of her brother’s hatred for the kakashi and the village, and the reason she’s trying so hard to be a Seki is to take over his burden and/or to be useful for him. If it’s true, that’s another reason to adore her, such a good girl.

Btw, if I’m not mistaken, Utao has a quirk that is calling her brother by name when there’s a third person, but changing to “onii-chan” when they’re all alone. That’s rather… cute, don’t you think? Showing her brocon side and her stubborn side both at the same time.
Old 2011-07-16, 19:24   Link #166
justinstrife

Send a message via AIM to justinstrife
I don't like little sister characters in these kind of shows. I find them distracting, and completely unnecessary. You can try and sell to me what she brings to the show, but I would disagree.

If i wanted to see a show that contained little sisters as one of the main characters, I would watch one that catered that way. If this one keeps putting her on the front lines, I will end up dropping it before the end.
justinstrife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-17, 03:22   Link #167
Accelolita_

I never said one word about hating Utao. I said, I don't dislike her, she surely has her cute moments, but in my opinion she's annoying.

If you want me to like her, well....really, it's nice of you to show me all her good sides. But she has to turn into a cute lil' Nanako before I even start thinking about that.
Nanako is by far the cutest Imouto out there, imo. If you don't think so, it's okay. But because of Nanako the level of cuteness an Imouto has to get to be likeable for me is pretty high, haha
Accelolita_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-17, 05:38   Link #168
Ziziphus
Whatever

I wasn't trying to force anyone into liking her though. I just thought it looked like everyone disliked her/found her annoying not because of her character but rather because of her defined role (an imouto). Why? I like her for what she is. If she suddenly stopped being an imouto, it wouldn't change anything for me at all.
Old 2011-07-17, 07:51   Link #169
Ravenblitz
|・ω・`)

Send a message via MSN to Ravenblitz

Old 2011-07-17, 11:55   Link #170
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
She's in Dantalian as well...
And also in Mayo Chiki, apparently. Disregard what I said then

Quote:
I don't like little sister characters in these kind of shows. I find them distracting, and completely unnecessary. You can try and sell to me what she brings to the show, but I would disagree.

If i wanted to see a show that contained little sisters as one of the main characters, I would watch one that catered that way. If this one keeps putting her on the front lines, I will end up dropping it before the end.
Why does it matter so much whether she's a little sister? Would it really make her better in your eyes if she were completely unrelated to any of the other characters?
Old 2011-07-17, 11:59   Link #171
justinstrife

Quote:

Why does it matter so much whether she's a little sister? Would it really make her better in your eyes if she were completely unrelated to any of the other characters?
No, it's the fact that she has a lead role at all. Regardless of if she was little sister, neighbor next girl, or girl from outer space. I'd rather she was a side character, or not there at all.
Old 2011-07-17, 13:14   Link #172
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

I rather like Utou. She's cute, has some depth to her and gives the main lead more depth too (which he sorely needs because he really does seem like tool sometimes). I just want more plot advancement at this point. The comedy and the character interactions were pretty stale in episode 2.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-18, 00:04   Link #173
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziziphus View Post
Yeah, I think Utao will just be as important as Aki in the story. She’s the controller of Kukuri, the main doll. She’s an important player as much as (or even more than) anyone else. (although haven’t read the manga, I could be dead wrong about this but I strongly doubt it.)
The question (to me) is whether Kukuri is bound to Utao alone or to both siblings. The ceremonial aspect the bonding would suggest that each god bonds to only one Seki, however... when Aki is trying to get Kyohei to fight with him in episode 1, I don't think he meant a fistfight. And if someone's link to a god can be permanently severed, why wasn't such a condition imposed on Aki?

Hence, it's possible that control of Kukuri might end up back in Kyohei's hands at some point (its pictured with him in the OP, actually), in which case this show will probably end up being closer to something like Kurenai where the guy has to protect the loli character.

I'd actually prefer to have Kukuri remain with Utao though. It puts an Kyohei in an interesting position - wanting to look out for Utao, but having limited ability to do so, especially relative to her own power. I can't think of another show that does that off the top of my head. Plus, Utao and Kukuri come across as almost like a girl and her dog... it would be sad to separate them.

Quote:
There are some things that she brings to the show which are pretty hard to deny IMO, such as that the interactions with her add depth to Kyohei's character and that her presence puts him in a bit of a tight spot.

Quote:
Fair enough, but one hardly needs to be a imouto show fan to be a fan of the sibling dynamic on display here. I don't consider myself one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
I rather like Utou. She's cute, has some depth to her and gives the main lead more depth too (which he sorely needs because he really does seem like tool sometimes). I just want more plot advancement at this point. The comedy and the character interactions were pretty stale in episode 2.
I'm not sure I'd use the word "tool" to describe him, but yeah, I do think her presence provided some badly needed character depth for him.

Comedy? Personally, I thought the playing PS2 with Kukuri scene was the series crowning moment of funny thus far.

Old 2011-07-18, 11:52   Link #174
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Have not read through the thread, but can anyone tell me how far through the manga this anime is supposed to cover?
Old 2011-07-18, 19:33   Link #175
Shouta
Infinite-Zero/Translator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower View Post
Have not read through the thread, but can anyone tell me how far through the manga this anime is supposed to cover?
It depends on how long the series will run and how much the producers want to cover and the pace they want to do it at. The books are up to 8 or 9 now (I'm at work so I can't check my volumes) and there is quite a bit of story there to do but it isn't finished yet which can put a slight damper on the run.

Was this scheduled for 13 or 26?
Shouta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-18, 19:54   Link #176
Kismet-chan
The Chaotic Dreamer

I wonder how many people would give a damn about this show if Utao didn't exist.
Kismet-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-18, 22:19   Link #177
justinstrife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kismet-chan View Post
I wonder how many people would give a damn about this show if Utao didn't exist.
I would see that change as an improvement.
Old 2011-07-19, 01:07   Link #178
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

Quote:
Is Utao the only reason I watch the show? No, I'm also watching to see what happens to Aki.
Do I like Utao? More so than most little sister characters.
Is she one of the reasons I like the show? Most certainly, as I love the sibling relationship between her and Kyohei - much better than most in anime - and I'm excited to see how the two of them deal with the need to keep each other safe.

So I'd likely still be watching the show, but probably not liking it as much. As it stands right now, I think the show would feel pretty generic without the sibling relationship. Upcoming plot points may change that impression though.

Quote:
Well, Hanazawa IS a person just like the rest of us. I'm pretty sure she's gotta pay her bills SOMEHOW.
Tuition too, since last I heard she was a university student.

Old 2011-07-19, 02:06   Link #179
mangatron
worshipping the pantyhose

Quote:
I want to know more about this village, about their Gods, about Aki, about the male lead, things of substance. I could do less with Utao training day at the park, and more with real substance.

No offense, but I find it funny you would say this... Originally I would have said what 0utf0x said, but what have we here, I won't. Because it's what you said and followed by the next sentence (bolded) that amuses me.

Did, Hibino's words truly not mean anything? Or was everyone just looking at her big ones In all seriousness though, you really missed everything about Utao's screen time in episode 2 to think she brings no substance to this series. I'm going to lay it down right here: this episode was all about... sorry, I know, awful habit, I forgot the protag's name and no I won't look it up, but yes this episode was about him. It was about how well he knows of the doll. It was about how well he was able to teach Utao (her infatuations aside), and the main message I, a non-manga reader got, was the big question of why he does not want to control the doll himself. All the scenes in this ep that showed Aki, and the protag with the doll, ending it with the doll running from him and going to where Utao was instead, that gives me a lot to think about, and anticipate about why he's even bothering with the village again, after he was so cast off from them.

Surely that's substance enough, isn't it? Especially since,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shouta
Was this scheduled for 13 or 26?
Worse. According to my old source, it's 12, like a number of others this season. It could just be a season listing, but 12! Why not 13 if it was a seasonal limit, so I do think it's 12. If by episode 5 and they still bring the same of the first 2 eps, then, justinstrife, I may as well agree with you. But,

Quote:
You can try and sell to me what she brings to the show, but I would disagree.
I feel like I just typed it all for nothing granted, I wasn't trying to sell you anything, since I'm a fan of her expressions which, if pasted onto say Kuuko's face then you know where my alliance is it's just, lately I see a lot of viewers overlook some of the more meaningful meanings behind choices of scenes and what not, but then a guy like me, who is originally labeled a perv, is kind of difficult to be taken seriously

Quote:
Originally Posted by liro View Post

Ew, She's just overused. I like her role as Nadeko and Charlotte, tho.
Oh come on. Just look at her legs, such a perfect sight!

Speaking of the characters, just what is Kuuko doing with a gun? I know daddy's a detect and all, but this makes me interested even more. I mean.... maybe I should read the manga, but I'm getting that same feeling I've always gotten, give the shorter medium (the Anime) an original experience in it's own way, and not reading the manga...
mangatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-19, 02:42   Link #180
larethian

Quote:
not forgetting 2 carried over shows in Steins;Gate & Ao no Exorcist.
larethian is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, fantasy, horror, romance, seinen