AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Little Busters

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2012-03-27, 15:18   Link #161
zeniselv
Staring into your soul.

well to be fair jc could do good if its only one season, thay alway screw second seasons, and not to mention that until recently they were at valve's level of ingnoring the number 3.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DemiSoda View Post
Kyoani: Hyouka (2-cours) and Chūni-byō Demo Koi Shitai (Unknown but probably 1 cour)
PA Works: Another (just finished), Tari Tari (Probably 1 cour Summer show), Hanasaku Iroha 2 (S2, OVA or Movie sometime in fall 2012 or winter 2013)
White Fox: Jormungand (2 cours if you include the split cour system)

Considering White Fox is a small studio and do even less works than Kyoani, I'm not sure if LB is possibility for them. Kyoani and PA Works seem most definitely out (since they are very busy) if LB is intended to be relased late this year or early next year, which by the timing of this announcement, I speculate that it airs around that time.

That leaves me speculating its either A-1 or Production IG as Key has expressed concern about choosing a production studio which leaves out DEEN and JC out since they are rather infamous in their quality when it comes to adaptations. A-1 and Production IG are both large, reputable studios and are pretty financially stable. Particularily A-1, which was clearly the 2011 winner making lots of $$ from Anohana, Ao no Exorcist, Idolmaster and Uta no Prince Sama. I don't think Bones, Gainax or Gonzo have what it takes to make a "high-profile" VN adaptation and most definitely not Xebec, Feel or Seven Arcs which tend to a lot of B/C grade VN or generic fanservice/ecchi adaptations 101.
A1 is more booked than kyoani, they have uchu kyodai, Sao, and from the new world coming.
production ig is possible but its not the kind of story they usually produce.
Old 2012-03-27, 16:01   Link #162
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flawnalyst View Post
I wouldn't consider him amongst the greatest writers ever, but when it comes to making likable characters out of moe stereotypes, he's a master (the Angel Beats characters were so fun, despite very few of them being fleshed out).
Agreed. Plus I think that Maeda is exceptionally good at a phrase that 0utf0xZer0 coined and which I like to use: Precision Wham Moments.

In other words, Maeda knows how to effectively build up character/life drama into one very powerful and emotionally impacting moment (i.e. a "Precision Wham Moment"). To this day, there's a particular episode of Clannad: After Story that emotionally impacted me more than any other anime episode that I've ever watched.

Also, to me, it's not melodrama if you legitimately earn it. Maeda really does legitimately earn it, imo.

That being said, Maeda struggles a bit with some of the more basic nuts-and-bolts of writing, and his range is limited. But for certain types of stories (certainly a standard VN-style romance routes narrative), I'd take him over any other anime-related writer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jao View Post
Push-button melodrama like mysterious incurably illnesses, slowly and painfully dying fox girls, ghost girls and ridiculously contrived car accidents?

I adore Kanon and it's my personal favourite KEY work (Tied with Littler Busters) exactly because of how archetypal and straight played it is. I wouldn't exactly say the drama was at all subtle or clever though.
Honestly, I'm with Guardian Enzo here. I felt that most (not all, but most) of the arcs in Kanon were reasonably subtle. They could challenge one's suspension of disbelief due to all the supernatural stuff going on in them, but I felt that the level of drama in them was appropriate given what was actually going on.

Yuuichi is probably the most happy-go-lucky and least angsty of the three Key/KyoAni male protagonists. A guy who's really smooth and manages to infuse Kanon with a certain subtlety, imo.

On the topic of who's going to be doing Little Busters!, I wouldn't be surprised if it's KyoAni come Winter 2013. That's probably the best-case scenario, and would fit even with the data that Demi Soda shared with us (thanks for the info, DS ).
Old 2012-03-27, 16:37   Link #163
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

The trouble with these announcements is that sometimes they don't tell you who in animating it. It was months after K-On was announced that it was confirmed to be animated by KyoAni. You can even follow the though process of that one in one of the K-On threads as it went back and forth between thinking it was A-1 and KyoAni, and the various reasoning behind those thoughts. Including a lot of speculization due the then yes?/no? (not telling) arrangement that was Haruhi-chan and Haruhi (2009).

Even when the magazine comes out in early-mid April, there is no certainty that it will announce who is making this. Only that it is coming (if they aren't trolling...but Pony Canyon, nor Key isn't known for trolling. And most Key "trolls" turn out the be true in some way....recall the 'April Fool's" Rewrite OP2 that wasn't a joke.)
Old 2012-03-27, 17:38   Link #164
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by monir View Post
Well, they can always ask Sunrise.
- This post is dedicated to Kaioshin.

P.S. Kanon is the only key story in the animated format that I liked. Air is silly. Clannad is average at best until the superb finishing touch that starts from S2 ep 19.
Heh, Brain's Base is out there, too. They've proved they can do several series in a season, and their production values are generally excellent. This would undeniably be a change of gears for them, of course.
Old 2012-03-27, 18:04   Link #165
zeniselv
Staring into your soul.

brain base has done one of my all time favorites baccano, but their production values are not at high standarts.
Old 2012-03-27, 18:23   Link #166
Arabesque
Licensed Hunter-a-holic

It could be Ordet. Or Manglobe. Or SHAFT. Or David Productions. Madhouse even ...

At this point in time, I don't think it's feasible to guess what studio is going to adapt Little Buster's, not with the information about Key's willingness to seek other studio's for adapting their work. The closest thing we can do right now is wishing or hoping about a certain studio getting the job, but other than that, accurate or realistic speculation is just not possible without more to go on. At most, the closest thing to a reasonable speculation I had read was which studio was unlikely to work on Little Buster's, and even that is built on uncertain grounds (Studios can increase the number of projects they can take at a time if they decide to expand, they can pickup new sorts of projects they would've never worked on in the past if there is a change in the group mentality etc.)

Personally, I'd love to see Manglobe be the one, since I want them to get a big hit and I think they can make a good looking LB anime. Though considering that this is Key we are talking about, whatever studio they pick will give it their A-Game, probably, so the issue of eye candy or good art isn't really on my mind. If anything, I'm more interested in the director and writer who will helm this project.
Old 2012-03-27, 18:30   Link #167
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Even when the magazine comes out in early-mid April, there is no certainty that it will announce who is making this.
Looking back,Angel Beats was announced in April, there were a few magazine features in the following months but a studio wasn't announced until september.
Hope it won't be this long in this case.
Old 2012-03-27, 20:45   Link #168
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
I would say every Key work to date in anime form has had severe pacing issues, so the time is severely needed.

Kanon 2002 felt borderline omnibus at times, and Kanon 06 created a better sense of continuity but it was still divided pretty clear cut and the transitions were jarring. In fact it makes the male lead look like quite the asshole-- the final arc had one of the worst transitions I've ever seen in anime that caused me to flat out drop the anime til I was drunk about 6 months later and finished it. Still felt elements of an omnibus format to me. Overall, the series either stepped on the gas too hard or braked too hard. Or it didn't hit the gas hard enough. Was never really right except for a few episodes.

Air also had a plot that made very little sense because we went on turbo speed through most of the arcs, but it's the only Key anime work to date to remain thematically consistent and avoid certain copouts in their conclusions. Well, actually Angel Beats could count, but the conclusion was bad in its own way.

Clannad season 1 I never actually felt the story was wasting too much time, and melting some of the arcs created something more coherent, but the solutions to both seasons were lackluster. First 8 episodes of After Story are an extension of season one; before the actual After Story starts which created its own issues. A lot of people found the first part of season 2 to be pretty boring.

Although I appreciate huge chunks of the story and also how Kyoani worked on dealing with fitting the source material, there's no doubt that the narrative of all the Key works can seem utterly not compelling to some and actually is quite hit and miss. Even someone like me that's rated all their works fairly well would have to admit that there's many ways to improve the storytelling. I fell in love with two of the girls which clouds my judgement :3-- though ultimately these stories are more of their heart then the mind. But you can only go so far before you overextend too much.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2012-03-27, 23:29   Link #169
minhhuywiki
Minata Hatsune

Baba Takihiro (CEO Visual Art's): https://twitter.com/#!/vavasyatyou/s...51322962870272 (if you can read Japanese).
So: bad or good news?
http://rekisa1.blog.fc2.com/blog-entry-629.html (link busy, not die)
Old 2012-03-28, 00:05   Link #170
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Heh, Brain's Base is out there, too. They've proved they can do several series in a season, and their production values are generally excellent. This would undeniably be a change of gears for them, of course.
Or Ufotable. And while we are at it, let's throw in Shaft there too. Er... it seems someone has already thrown Shaft into the mix. I wonder if Arbesque is still alive for uttering such blasphemy. No seriously, why not Shaft? Well, I'll answer my own question: They tend to prefer creative material.
*What's that sound? Is that a loud, collective groan that I just heard? *puts on binoculars* Is that Klash in front of a crowd? Why does he have a red, tomato like substance in his hand? And why is he cocking his hand back to mimic a throw-like gesture? And why do people bring vegetables when they form angry mobs? *
Considering the track record (Air, Kanon, Clannad), we all know with virtual certainty that KyoAni will be doing this. I simply loathe their marketing gimmick, but they obviously feel it works for them. If, ...for whatever miraculous reason Shaft indeed becomes the Animation Production company for this, I'll leave my job, tell my lady I'm going to store to buy milk, and not come back home till this show is over. And then Shaft does Planetarian, a Key story that is actually worth a scoff. Yeah, I played it - - all thanks to Skyfall.

*runs away before Klash starts throwing....*
Old 2012-03-28, 00:16   Link #171
erneiz_hyde
18782+18782=37564

Most likely, Baba shachou was going to make this news an April Fool's joke, which would came true later on. But instead, Dengeki, oblivious of it, went and advertised it. Baba shachou, unhappy,started to change the words in his twitter profile pic, from 電->撃->の. Most likely the next words would be 馬->鹿
Old 2012-03-28, 00:24   Link #172
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
I'd rather not have Shaft do it. You know, having pictures move is a part of animation.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2012-03-28, 00:30   Link #173
Pocari_Sweat
<em style="color:#808080;">Disabled By Request</em>

Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
Quote:
Originally Posted by monir View Post
*What's that sound? Is that a loud, collective groan that I just heard? *puts on binoculars* Is that Klash in front of a crowd? Why does he have a red, tomato like substance in his hand? And why is he cocking his hand back to mimic a throw-like gesture? And why do people bring vegetables when they form angry mobs? *
Hahaha... /stops laughing

Stop being a bully monir!

Quote:
Considering the track record (Air, Kanon, Clannad), we all know with virtual certainty that KyoAni will be doing this. I simply loathe their marketing gimmick, but they obviously feel it works for them. If, ...for whatever miraculous reason Shaft indeed becomes the Animation Production company for this, I'll leave my job, tell my lady I'm going to store to buy milk, and not come back home till this show is over. And then Shaft does Planetarian, a Key story that is actually worth a scoff. Yeah, I played it - - all thanks to Skyfall.
Nah, nothing is certain. Angel Beats wasn't by Kyoani after all . And the Toei Key-adaptations DO EXIST unfortunately .

Planetarian... I'm still clinging on useless hopes that it will get animated some day. And yeh, it's definitely the best Key work imo. Short and to the point with that "wham moment" at the end. None of the 100h+ bullshit of grinding that the rest of their VNs have .

Quote:
*runs away before Klash starts throwing....*
He's started throwing already... and he's aiming at you!
Old 2012-03-28, 00:43   Link #174
minhhuywiki
Minata Hatsune

Quote:
Originally Posted by erneiz_hyde View Post
Most likely, Baba shachou was going to make this news an April Fool's joke, which would came true later on. But instead, Dengeki, oblivious of it, went and advertised it. Baba shachou, unhappy,started to change the words in his twitter profile pic, from 電->撃->の. Most likely the next words would be 馬->鹿
電撃の馬鹿 -----> Dengeki no baka
Old 2012-03-28, 01:32   Link #175
Jao
panchi~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Yuuichi is probably the most happy-go-lucky and least angsty of the three Key/KyoAni male protagonists. A guy who's really smooth and manages to infuse Kanon with a certain subtlety, imo.
In the anime certainly, but in the VN his personality was pretty much defined by 'I snark at cute girls'. The Kanon VN was the first VN I'd ever played and while going through the common route and a few girl routes (Makoto, Shiori and Mai spring to mind, but mostly because of how out of place the H scenes felt) I honestly thought I was playing a huge asshole. Not having a face probably didn't help matters.
Hiding behind tinted glasses and doors.
Old 2012-03-28, 01:38   Link #176
Ascaloth
I don't give a damn, dude

I'm not sure why people keep bringing up Angel Beats as a counter example. Angel Beats was an original work, not an adaptation, people. If it had been KyoAni indulging Maeda's foray into anime scriptwriting, than okay, I might see the point, but it wasn't. All indications so far still point to Key considering KyoAni as their go-to studio for adaptations.

That said, I'm not too keen on the idea of P.A. Works being the alternative. They have a history of not-quite-adapting whatever they're given; CANAAN and True Tears come to mind. I certainly won't want to run the risk of having the LB material land in the hands of a certain Okada-san.

Strangely enough, I'd take White Fox in a pinch. If they can do Steins;Gate and Katanagatari justice, they certainly can do the same for LB; hell, I consider them the go-to for adaptations after KyoAni.

And Sunrise... ahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!! ()

*ahem* I'm not convinced that the Key works missed Hisaya's input, either. I mean, that's the same guy who came up with Sola, which to be frank, stunk. Sure, he did good work on Kanon, but I'm not convinced he ever improved beyond that level.

Last edited by Pellissier; 2012-03-28 at 01:53. Reason: what's with the blatant self advertising? All hyperlinks removed.
Old 2012-03-28, 01:41   Link #177
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Sola was IMHO a vastly underappreciated gem - flawed but beautiful. But to each his own.
Old 2012-03-28, 01:51   Link #178
Mahou
ダメ人 - 人間失格

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jao View Post
In the anime certainly, but in the VN his personality was pretty much defined by 'I snark at cute girls'. The Kanon VN was the first VN I'd ever played and while going through the common route and a few girl routes (Makoto, Shiori and Mai spring to mind, but mostly because of how out of place the H scenes felt) I honestly thought I was playing a huge asshole. Not having a face probably didn't help matters.
The h-scenes in Kanon were more intended like a (cheap) reward than an actual VN element (as with the usual non-Key examples). At least, I read something like that a long time ago, and it really felt like that .

@LB: In my humble and biased opinion I'd like to see Kud's arc more than almost anything. "But Mahou her ending was so *spoiler*!" I agree, but as a big romance fanboy, her route "satisfied" me in that regard more than all the other routes.
Though, if they want to choose a more coherent season they should go with Rin2 -> True route/ ending season 1 with Rin 1 and somehow do Rin2 -> True route in season 2. Option 2 would feel too strange if Rin1 + 2 were to be put together in one season. Just my few "noob-ish" cents.
Old 2012-03-28, 01:57   Link #179
Pocari_Sweat
<em style="color:#808080;">Disabled By Request</em>

Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
@Ascaloth: Both Canaan and True Tears were anime originals too you know, so not sure why you're just singling out Angel Beats . The former is technically a "sequel" to the original Type-Moon 428 game, whilst the latter's only similarity was in its name.

And as Enzo said, each to his own because I thought both True Tears and Sola were fantastic, the former being my favorite romance/drama TV series. Conversely I thought Katanagatari was bad ... that had even more pointless dialogue spam than the Monogatari series ... and they weren't even funny, unlike the latter.

Anyways, if Little Busters were to air within a year, it'll be neither Kyoani or PA, given their busy schedules. Unless White Fox gets "bigger", I doubt they will too considering they are doing 2 cours of Jormungand. But who knows, LB might air in 2 years time instead.
Old 2012-03-28, 02:00   Link #180
Ascaloth
I don't give a damn, dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemiSoda View Post
@Ascaloth: Both Canaan and True Tears were anime originals too you know, so not sure why you're just singling out Angel Beats . The former is technically a "sequel" to the original Type-Moon 428 game, whilst the latter's only similarity was in its name.
Why did you think I said "not-quite-adapting"? Duh.

Besides, the difference between these two and Angel Beats is that for the latter, the anime was the original work to first come out, as opposed to the "428 side story" nature of CANAAN, or the "adaptation in name only" of True Tears.

Quote:
Anyways, if Little Busters were to air within a year, it'll be neither Kyoani or PA, given their busy schedules. Unless White Fox gets "bigger", I doubt they will too considering they are doing 2 cours of Jormungand. But who knows, LB might air in 2 years time instead.
Actually, I'm suspecting it would be KyoAni, because the studio has grown big enough for a B team or two, and I suspect those are the ones currently working on Hyouka and Chuunibyou. No concrete data here though, so I might well be mistaken.
Closed Thread

Tags
anime game, little busters