AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross > Past Macross Series

Notices

View Poll Results: Macross Frontier - Episode 19 Rating
Perfect 10 39 35.45%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 37 33.64%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 16 14.55%
7 out of 10 : Good 10 9.09%
6 out of 10 : Average 3 2.73%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 2 1.82%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 3 2.73%
Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2008-08-19, 12:18   Link #401
Mughi
Wordy b@stard

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiNA View Post
Anyone taking a gander the vajra woke up/hatched because their queen is feeling lonely?
Yeah, I proposed they might do a Forbidden Planet homage, wherein the Frontier hatched Vajra are somehow emotionally connected to Ranka's ego and once her ego is crushed by the realization of the triangle it causes a Vajra uprising... who then do the crushing.
Old 2008-08-19, 12:37   Link #402
CaptGloval
New Macross soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisis View Post
Spoiler for Look who's doing the talking:
Yes! SherylxRanka confirmed! Serves Alto right!

Anyway, would Ai-kun and two other Vajra be Frontier's equivalent of the Zentradi infiltrators in SDF Macross?

Also, some explanations...

Q: How come nobody recognized Ranka in glasses?
A: I noticed there were some Ranka cosplayers/impersonators among the crowd. All Ranka had to do was to pass off as one.

Q: How come nobody noticed the Vajra in the concert?
A: Aside from having a relatively unknown form, it wasn't attacking anyone (yet?) and was moving to the music instead, so people might have considered it part of the props.
Old 2008-08-19, 12:45   Link #403
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinstrife View Post
So who's going to deliver the Hikaru slap? Alto, Sheryl, Ozma, Luca? It has to be coming soon...
I can see them standing around in one big circle, and just let the slaps go around.
Old 2008-08-19, 13:02   Link #404
Mughi
Wordy b@stard

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptGloval View Post
Yes! SherylxRanka confirmed! Serves Alto right!

Anyway, would Ai-kun and two other Vajra be Frontier's equivalent of the Zentradi infiltrators in SDF Macross?
I also saw this parallel, but it's kinda thin. I guess it serves. Especially if the Frontier hatched Vajra eventually align with Ranka and take up arms against the rest of the Vajra in defense of Frontier.

Quote:
Q: How come nobody recognized Ranka in glasses?
A: I noticed there were some Ranka cosplayers/impersonators among the crowd. All Ranka had to do was to pass off as one.
Minmay wears a similar dorky pair in DRYL while on her "date" with Hikaru.

Quote:
Q: How come nobody noticed the Vajra in the concert?
A: Aside from having a relatively unknown form, it wasn't attacking anyone (yet?) and was moving to the music instead, so people might have considered it part of the props.
Just before they show the Vajra in the audience, the camera passes across a guy wearing a kind of Vajra cosplay head thingy... I still don't buy that no-one noticed them though... Cosplaying Vajra on Frontier would seem to me to be like wearing a Nazi uniform to a VE-Day parade. VERY poor choice.
Old 2008-08-19, 13:10   Link #405
glyph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mughi View Post
Yeah, I proposed they might do a Forbidden Planet homage, wherein the Frontier hatched Vajra are somehow emotionally connected to Ranka's ego and once her ego is crushed by the realization of the triangle it causes a Vajra uprising... who then do the crushing.
If that is the case, it's likely that Ranka's abrupt mood swing due to Sheryl's kiss in Episode 5 may have been the trigger of the sudden attack on Galaxy that happened immediately in the next scene. (With What 'bout my Star@Folmo first reviving any specimens the conspirators were secretly keeping for study like the one on Frontier that folded away).
Old 2008-08-19, 13:42   Link #406
Mughi
Wordy b@stard

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by glyph View Post
If that is the case, it's likely that Ranka's abrupt mood swing due to Sheryl's kiss in Episode 5 may have been the trigger of the sudden attack on Galaxy that happened immediately in the next scene. (With What 'bout my Star@Folmo first reviving any specimens the conspirators were secretly keeping for study like the one on Frontier that folded away).
Right on! I just rewatched that... I think you could be right... It fits right in with my conjecture.

The daughter of Morbius LIVES! Ranka Altaira Lee!
Old 2008-08-19, 14:18   Link #407
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
Quote:
Originally Posted by glyph View Post
That sounds like a pretty damn good guess. It does seem like whenever Ranka has a mood swing the Vajara either attack or something happens with them. So If Ranka freaks out about Sheryl and Alto no only will the ones that just hatched go nuts but the specimens could revive as well? Could this be the plan all along that the conspirators were hoping for, complete chaos?
Old 2008-08-19, 14:27   Link #408
Mughi
Wordy b@stard

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinestra View Post
That sounds like a pretty damn good guess. It does seem like whenever Ranka has a mood swing the Vajara either attack or something happens with them. So If Ranka freaks out about Sheryl and Alto no only will the ones that just hatched go nuts but the specimens could revive as well? Could this be the plan all along that the conspirators were hoping for, complete chaos?
It also fits with why they nabbed her at Galia IV. Why did they fold her back to Frontier though, I wonder?

We should probably take this conversation back to the the speculation thread...
Old 2008-08-19, 14:33   Link #409
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisis View Post
Spoiler for Look who's doing the talking:
Somehow I get the feeling that Sheryl would tell Ranka something along the lines of:

Congratulations Ranka, you have achieved your dreams. Now take care of this idiot for me. *runs off*

Now see, THAT would be a proper Sheryl line.

- Tak (meh)

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Old 2008-08-19, 14:49   Link #410
Zhaozhou

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaiHikari View Post
The things Zhaozhou wrote are incoherent most of the time that I forgot what point he was trying to make. Disecting an analysis the way it was not meant to be disected and stating your reaction to each sentence is not a response.
I may not be skilled enough in English, but I don't think this is the case, and I don't think you can blame me not to have responses to your reactions

You know what was my agenda? My agenda was to be a gadfly that pointed out lack of good taste in accusations against Ranka A lack of good taste I hope next threads will be void of

The whole point of Ranka and Sheryl in the show is to be polar opposites of each other. Sheryl for istance doesn't have friends (even Michael and Klan are just pitying her because she is ill), and almost always put profession before herself. Ranka instead has friends, brothers, acquaintances, pets, and they all come first of her profession, as demonstrated by the fact she ditched the parade to look for Ai-kun. As such it's coherent for her to give greater importance to personal relationships.

A point AFAIK not mentioned is that Sheryl is reaping what she sow: Sheryl valued her profession so much that she lost her individuality. A Sheryl Nome that doesn't sing is still Sheryl Nome? According to other people it can't be. She can't be really be someone other than a singer. This is troublesome, because it's not easy for her to be a singer now. She got both the frying pan and the fire: not only she is dying, she can't do something actually meaningful while ending her life.

Yet, as specified by Yasaburo, Sheryl cannot not want it. He cited the fascination of control over people during the performance, that suits Sheryl to a T.

On the other hand I have always thought Alto, for his own unstated reasons, was slighted annoyed by these sides of Sheryl, exactly because he hates the world of performers (although it must be said that he is always annoyed. He is muddling the evidence ). Therefore, while he clearly favoured Sheryl over Ranka, he was nonetheless attracted by the overall meeker side of Ranka (I think in ep. 13 while talking to Ranka he looked relaxed the most).

This episode also showed how Ranka's love is painfully one-sided. Alto is pulling a Minmay on Ranka, he put her in the friend zone as soon as his life is not in danger

That considered, it was not surprising therefore that he didn't notice Ranka's feelings and did something unintentionally disastrous. I think Michael went a bit overboard when he spilled the beans about Sheryl being ill though, because Alto was already taking action on Sheryl on his own, he only needed to be informed of Ranka for correctness' sake.

Sheryl never meant to get Alto through pity or cheap tricks, and that's why she wanted to keep it a secret, therefore I am positive she won't be saying she is dying as her first words, or at least she wouldn't if not for what Michael said to Alto At the same time, she is not just there to tell Alto that, and neither Alto is, so Ranka is right in not seeing their being together as innocent. Were not for Ranka they were actually going to score in one way or the other.

Another thing to note is that Sheryl actually probed Alto about the situation before. She mentioned a different Sheryl (a Sheryl that doesn't sing), and saw Alto not liking it. It's not like any answer would be enough though, because Sheryl couldn't have told what exactly she is now, and as such no expression of caring from Alto would have hit the mark. That unintentional misunderstanding gave Sheryl such low self-esteem she absolutely needed Klan's spur.

Personally I was very pleased by the last scene. It would have felt cheap if the triangle looked like it was resolved just because a girl made her move before the other.
Old 2008-08-19, 15:53   Link #411
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhaozhou View Post
The whole point of Ranka and Sheryl in the show is to be polar opposites of each other. Sheryl for istance doesn't have friends (even Michael and Klan are just pitying her because she is ill), and almost always put profession before herself. Ranka instead has friends, brothers, acquaintances, pets, and they all come first of her profession, as demonstrated by the fact she ditched the parade to look for Ai-kun. As such it's coherent for her to give greater importance to personal relationships.
Yet, Ranka wants more than just personal relationships. She also wants fame and glory, that part itself is obvious. Except when she first started, she wanted to sing for the sake of singing, and not for a particular individual. As of now, she is unsure and inconsistent of her true objectives.

She got fame, she got fans, but she failed to be responsible for them.

Quote:
A point AFAIK not mentioned is that Sheryl is reaping what she sow: Sheryl valued her profession so much that she lost her individuality. A Sheryl Nome that doesn't sing is still Sheryl Nome? According to other people it can't be. She can't be really be someone other than a singer. This is troublesome, because it's not easy for her to be a singer now. She got both the frying pan and the fire: not only she is dying, she can't do something actually meaningful while ending her life.
Yet, to Alto, she does not have to be the galactic fairy. He does not treat her as a manipulator on the stage. At least she has that.

Quote:
Yet, as specified by Yasaburo, Sheryl cannot not want it. He cited the fascination of control over people during the performance, that suits Sheryl to a T.
But is that who Sheryl really wants everyone to see, not her inner self?

Right now, she is using her disease as an excuse to push away the individual who can see her beyond her fame and glory, because she wants him to hate her, since she is dying, and a dead woman is well, no good.

Quote:
Another thing to note is that Sheryl actually probed Alto about the situation before. She mentioned a different Sheryl (a Sheryl that doesn't sing), and saw Alto not liking it. It's not like any answer would be enough though, because Sheryl couldn't have told what exactly she is now, and as such no expression of caring from Alto would have hit the mark. That unintentional misunderstanding gave Sheryl such low self-esteem she absolutely needed Klan's spur.
Its not a Sheryl who does not sing Alto didn't appreciate, but rather a past Sheryl who lost her confidence that caught Alto slightly off guard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinstrife View Post
Misa was always love though. She was my favorite from 1985, to present, and forever.
Oh? So what about Sheryl? You better have a good excuse, because I am giving you a chance to speak before Skull Fairy executes you for heresy

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.

Last edited by Tak; 2008-08-19 at 16:12.
Old 2008-08-19, 16:28   Link #412
Kinku
Hate a Hater.Love a Lover

Send a message via MSN to Kinku
i was wondering cant Ranka kinda save Sherly from the virus ... i mean Ranka is the success experiment rite and sherly the failed one maybe Ranka blood could have key too cure Sherly
Old 2008-08-19, 16:35   Link #413
magnuskn

Quote:
You know what was my agenda? My agenda was to be a gadfly that pointed out lack of good taste in accusations against Ranka A lack of good taste I hope next threads will be void of
Unless she steps up her game big time next episode, I can say the threads will continue as they have, thank you very much.

Quote:
The whole point of Ranka and Sheryl in the show is to be polar opposites of each other. Sheryl for istance doesn't have friends (even Michael and Klan are just pitying her because she is ill), and almost always put profession before herself.
She has Alto, so yeah, she has at least one friend.

Quote:
Says who? Even if she would die in the end ( highly unlikely ), she could always choose to do something else, like piloting. She probably won´t, because May'n wants to keep selling singles, but she already has evolved past being only a singer, right in the show.

Quote:
I cannot say that Yasaburos comments didn´t resonate with Sheryl, but in the end, Yasaburo was talking about Yasaburo. Alto, for example, has very successfully ditched the show business, and doesn´t show any inclination of returning.

Yasaburos speech was wishful thinking.

Quote:
On the other hand I have always thought Alto, for his own unstated reasons, was slighted annoyed by these sides of Sheryl, exactly because he hates the world of performers (although it must be said that he is always annoyed. He is muddling the evidence ). Therefore, while he clearly favoured Sheryl over Ranka, he was nonetheless attracted by the overall meeker side of Ranka (I think in ep. 13 while talking to Ranka he looked relaxed the most).
Alto wants to fly. His father wanted him so much to continue acting that he disinherited Alto, when Alto wouldn´t listen to him. It stands to reason that Alto dislikes acting so much, because returning to it would mean to cave in to his fathers demands.

Sheryl being in show business doesn´t has any bearing on his likes or dislikes of her. It has been shown repeatedly that her job doesn´t faze him in the least, for positive or negative.

Also, if he´d dislike Sheryl for being in show business, the same would go for Ranka.

Quote:
This episode also showed how Ranka's love is painfully one-sided. Alto is pulling a Minmay on Ranka, he put her in the friend zone as soon as his life is not in danger

That considered, it was not surprising therefore that he didn't notice Ranka's feelings and did something unintentionally disastrous. I think Michael went a bit overboard when he spilled the beans about Sheryl being ill though, because Alto was already taking action on Sheryl on his own, he only needed to be informed of Ranka for correctness' sake.
Agreed on all counts for Ranka. Michael didn´t spill the beans on Sheryl, though, he caught himself just before doing that. He did arouse Altos suspicions, nonetheless.

Quote:
Sheryl never meant to get Alto through pity or cheap tricks, and that's why she wanted to keep it a secret, therefore I am positive she won't be saying she is dying as her first words, or at least she wouldn't if not for what Michael said to Alto At the same time, she is not just there to tell Alto that, and neither Alto is, so Ranka is right in not seeing their being together as innocent. Were not for Ranka they were actually going to score in one way or the other.
While I wouldn´t mind at all a scenario where the two of them were going to score, at the moment it won´t happen, because Sheryl knows that her illness is transmitted via bodily fluids.

Last edited by magnuskn; 2008-08-19 at 16:51.
Old 2008-08-19, 17:10   Link #414
Lostdreams

Quote:
I may not be skilled enough in English, but I don't think this is the case, and I don't think you can blame me not to have responses to your reactions

Personally I was very pleased by the last scene. It would have felt cheap if the triangle looked like it was resolved just because a girl made her move before the other.
All that you mentioned there is seriously the most wack YYY I have ever read in my life. Ok to break it down.

Sheryl has nobody to put ahead of her work. You said so yourself she has no1 cept Alto. How can she put friends, brothers, acquiantances, pets before her work if she doesn't have any of them. Sheryl's job was all she had. She actually took her job seriously too unlike Ranka.

Again, Sheryl has nothing except for being a singer. I think it's unfair to take away the one thing Sheryl actually had. Sheryl lost her individuality because she was doing the one thing she loved doing...? Also, people can do great things in one day. Why do you assume that she can't do anything meaningful.

This is just bs saying he hates performers. He is a god dam performer himself!!! I'm not talking about acting, but doing the flying lights thing.

Ok, Michael clearly mentioned ALTO, RANKA IS SINGING FOR YOU. I think he would realize by then that she liked him no?

It is not clear whether or not Sheryl got Alto yet. Also, why the f would Ranka see it as not innocent? It was clear that she knew Alto and Sheryl went out together, kissed, Sheryl clearly showed wanting him in the singing battle, and yet why would she se it as not innocent?

This is bs. I don't even get what you're trying to say here. You also said above Sheryl never meant to get Alto through cheap tricks and pity, but your last sentence says you were pleased that the triangle wasn't resolved there...
Old 2008-08-19, 19:58   Link #415
justinstrife

Send a message via AIM to justinstrife
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
Oh? So what about Sheryl? You better have a good excuse, because I am giving you a chance to speak before Skull Fairy executes you for heresy

- Tak
I didn't say my only love now did I?
Old 2008-08-19, 23:55   Link #416
LunaNeko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostdreams View Post
Dam I'm still very nervous. It's never actually been said that Alto loves Sheryl or has feelings for her. AAAAAAAAAAAAAh I hate this series!!!! Dam you macross!!! I can't sleep at night wondering why the hell Ranka was talking to Alto at the stairs. It might be to tell her he loves Sheryl, but aaaaaaaaaah I must know the truth. I'm really scared that Alto's gonna pick Ranka because that would kill me. I just have a really bad gut feeling. I still can't take this anymore.
Its Macross - live with it - its been known for having Triangles of epic proportions, I just finished Robotech and Hikaru/Minmay/Misa thing wasn't resolved till like, god, last 10 mins of the last episode? And they made us believe that he'll stay with Minmay! But then he ran after Misa! I was all &Q)&$(P&(P&$(W&(PW&#(P*W&# so at this point, I can't even guess who Alto will choose in the end. They sure good at keeping us at the edge of the seats in every episodes, at this point its already: screw EVERYTHING: Vajara, Leon, Kathy, The whole Frontier can go to hell - guestion of the day is: WHO WILL ALTO CHOOSE! Darn you, Macross, indeed.
Old 2008-08-20, 00:48   Link #417
justinstrife

Send a message via AIM to justinstrife
I could have told you 23 years ago, when Robotech was airing in American TV, who he was going to end up with.

Now DYRL, that was a little more difficult as they really made everyone very sympathetic, and Minmei had a greater affect on the audience.
Old 2008-08-20, 01:56   Link #418
kilroy0097
Michiko Malandro = Sexy

Ranka slaps Alto saying he's an unobservant idiot and then clasps Sheryl's hands and says she is sorry to hear that she is dying. Oh who am I kidding?

On another note. If someone you loved, liked or even was friends with lost their motivation to do something that you felt was very important to them would your first reaction to this be anger and an emotional tirade?
Old 2008-08-20, 01:57   Link #419
encia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mughi View Post
There's no need for Forbidden Planet homage i.e. refer to Macross Zero. Sara's emotions are tied to Birdman's actions.
Old 2008-08-20, 02:05   Link #420
aneeshadc

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilroy0097 View Post
Ranka slaps Alto saying he's an unobservant idiot and then clasps Sheryl's hands and says she is sorry to hear that she is dying. Oh who am I kidding?
I was like...WTF... for a moment, then I saw ur who am i kidding. But u really got me for a bit there. I have no idea y since I really dont see Ranka slapping Alto ever.
Closed Thread