AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2009-02-05, 00:39   Link #61
wontaek

Emphasis on struggle in many works of anime may also be due to popularity of Albert Camut's works during 1980s in Japan and Korea. 1980s were also called golden decade of anime by some, and it is the decade Miyazaki Hayao achieved his greatest fame. I need to bring up Korea because even in 1980s, large number of Korean companies were working as contractors and sub-contractors for Japanese Anime Studios.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albert_Camus
Old 2009-02-05, 04:24   Link #62
james0246

To get back to the real question at hand, and to reiterate an earlier post from the OP, I can't help but wonder how the idea of a "necessary evil" has shaped current Japanese depictions of evil over the past century. Has the idea of sacrificing the one for the many been prevalent in ancient Japan (Japan was a feudal nation until 160 years ago or so), or has World War II and the use of Kamikaze runs so strongly impacted the psyche of Japan, that now "villains" will use evil in order to potentially do good (the idea of committing evil in order to do good is not unique to Japan). Or, is it merely the influence of America, who once exemplified the Anti-hero as the only "real" type of hero (Can anyone say Film Noir?), which has potentially changed the depiction of evil within anime.

edit: This thread should really be called "Current Trends in the Depiction of "Evil" within Japanese Anime and their Historical Root(s)." That way we can define what is "evil" within the confines of either an anime series, or create a gerneralization of evil within many anime shows, and can then explore the cutural/historical reason for the depiction of said evil (we, in turn, wouldn't need to make these useless comparisons with the depictions of evil within other cultures/socitieis that detrack from (what I consider) the more interesting discussion topic).

Last edited by james0246; 2009-02-06 at 16:39.
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-05, 07:16   Link #63
Amray

Quote:
Originally Posted by animeboy12 View Post
The problem I have with example is that should that situation even exist?
I Thank you for pointing that out once more. That is the reason why I stated this in my previous post...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myself View Post
... nonetheless from a bigger perspective no one should kill or be killed to make other deaths necessary in the first place.
Amray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-06, 14:41   Link #64
velvet
"with you, happiness"

Quote:
Originally Posted by wontaek View Post
Like Char being cool, evil, nuts, or all these in Char's Counterattack?
Actually, I don't understand your post. Pardon my lack of knowledge of Char.
What I actually mean is if we are eventually going to discuss about sin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narona View Post
How it would be great if more people here could think like that =p

Anyway, even this way of thinking has a limit. You can see it sometimes, sadly, a person can decide to do a massacre because she/he doesn't care for his/her own life anymore and decide to kill people before committing suicide. In this case, and even if I think it's Evil too, what Confucius said cannot work. In the case of murder, it's only true if the person cares for his/her own life.
Practical minds.
In this case we would generalize people as without belief (as in atheicism) and have no connection with others.
The only reason to harm others in this mindset, if oneself is being threatened.

TinyRedLeaf's post is quite confusing too me. Maybe I need to reread it...

velvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-06, 15:23   Link #65
wontaek

Quote:
Originally Posted by velvet View Post
Actually, I don't understand your post. Pardon my lack of knowledge of Char.
What I actually mean is if we are eventually going to discuss about sin.

Well, I guess you might be more comfortable with KET's work, and that led me to think the following questions.

"Is there evil in the Key's work?"
"If so how is it portrayed or disguised? How is it defeated or does people merely cope with it?"
"If not, why would introduction of evil or sin be detremental to overall plots in this series?"

Just some random questions that popped into my mind.
Old 2009-02-06, 19:16   Link #66
velvet
"with you, happiness"

I see.

Majority of Key's work so far is filled with "misfortunes, accidents, inevitables".
So no one to blame. Blame yourself or God.

Let me try to elaborate your questions into.

Rurouni Kenshin
Is there evil?
Makoto Shishio and Juppongatana is portrayed as "Power".
The important point here is the fact that the protagonist's mindset,
is that triumphing does not equal just/true, and vice versa.

"We win, so we were right, weren't we?
If you say it like that, we are no different then them.
No, If it was like that...
No one would ever took the wrong path."

Triumphing over evil.
If by winning you become true, then everything can be solved with a duel.
Then no one should ever took the wrong path.

How is it defeated or does people merely cope with it?
Himura Kenshin defeated his enemies, through his belief not to sacrifice his life and dying in a battle.
Rather he believed that he had to stay alive, protecting people dear to him, all the while atoning for his past sins.
Dying was an escape, a path he avoided.
"None can tell whether our actions was right or wrong at the moment.
History will judge."

I was divided between, Higurashi or Kara no Kyoukai for my next post.
hope that helps.

velvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-07, 05:14   Link #67
wontaek

Quote:
Originally Posted by velvet View Post
"None can tell whether our actions was right or wrong at the moment.
History will judge."
The irony of the situation is that Asian countries, including Japan, accuses each other of trying to rewrite or hide history.

Dealing with the sins of history or your ancestors differ from countries. I must say that sins of the past was a motif rather popular during 1980s in Korea. This popularity may have leaked into Japan as I found some manga started during 1990s concerning sins of the past. Even Fruits Basket deals with this in a fashion.

To tell the truth, other than the frequency which is much higher in Korea, I don't notice big difference in general trend of plot developments and resolution of issues in Korea or Japan. I am wondering if anyone notice any difference about the exploration of 'past evil deeds' from their home culture and Japanese Anime.