AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2007-04-10, 05:35   Link #21
miaka

Darker than Black -- new series
Code Geass - mecha/action
Tokyo Majin Gakuen Kenpuchou
Bakumatsu Kikansetsu Irohanihoheto
Old 2007-04-10, 12:36   Link #22
Hunter Nin.

I second Elfen Lied and Ergo Proxy.

I've only read the Monster manga but if the series is anything like it then it should be damn good!
Old 2007-04-10, 13:06   Link #23
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Claymore.

Eps. 1 is already subbed, while 2 is just around the corner.
Old 2007-04-10, 15:35   Link #24
Manifold

Have a look at Innocent Venus.
Old 2007-04-10, 19:24   Link #25
7Th
Mixtape

Unlicensed with fansubs out:

Tokyo Majin - More gruesome than pretty much everything else airing right now, although everything is for the sake of fun. People dying with bees carving a nest inside them while you actually see the holes being made = ENORMOUS WIN.

Red Garden - Ended recently, it's like a mixture of a fashion girls melodrama with Gantz, the overstated melodrama is part of the fun.
Old 2007-04-11, 04:50   Link #26
kim8268

I would like to Recomend Moon Phase
Just Watch It
Old 2007-04-11, 11:55   Link #27
Goofus Maximus
Senile Member

Let's see, I don't think these have been listed yet... The others are all good, that have been mentioned so far. Especially Ergo Proxy and Monster.

Shingetsutan Tsukihime isn't new, but it's about on the level of Fate Stay Night in darkness...

Shakugan No Shanna is another not-so-new one that I really liked.

Claymore is shaping up to be a good anime on the "dark" side of the spectrum. Some have compared this one to Berserk. I don't know if that's valid or not, though.

I don't know yet, if Sola is going to turn out dark or not, but the end of episode 1 doesn't bode well for lighthearted hilarity, anyway!

Last edited by Goofus Maximus; 2007-04-11 at 17:24.
Old 2007-04-11, 16:11   Link #28
Red Herring
SPARTANS

Jigoku Shoujo is a good show especially if into "dark" stuff. It just got licenced by Funi.
Old 2007-04-13, 11:37   Link #29
ChibiDusk
Back From The Dead?

Claymore is one of the darker series airing this season. I believe two episodes have aired thus far, and both lead me to believe that this will be one amazing series. It doesn't have much intentional comedy, or anything other then serious subject matter. The artwork and colouring of the series give it a certain mood and atmosphere that alone will send a certain chill down your spine. Each episode is packed with emotion, as well, and I'm sure this will be a tearjerker in the end. I can sense some strong psychological drama coming along down the road.

Elfen Lied is older (August 2005 was it?) but by far one of my favorite series. It's brutally dark, intriguing, psychological, and of course - packed with gore. It's brilliantly animated, and the music is also rather high-end. Quality.

I want to check out Red Garden now, so thanks to those that suggested it in this thread.
Old 2007-04-16, 03:10   Link #30
Allergic
Blind Passenger

Location: I ask myself that question often, but the answer is always: Germany
Sorry for the delay. But thanks a lot again for all the suggestions. Let's see if there is something that fits my taste.
Read you again, soon, heh.
Old 2007-04-16, 03:41   Link #31
Saber Cherry
Marionette

Since they not been mentioned, Trinity Blood is dark, as is Vampire Princess Miyu and Chrono Crusade (though Chrono Crusade does have some comic relief).
Koi Kaze is not really dark, but certainly depressing, and different from everything else mentioned.

And though I have yet to see it, SaiKano has a reputation of being on the darker side, and is supposed to be good. There's one more that is in the same category, Grave of the Fireflies. Supposed to be exceptionally dark and depressing, and also extremely good, but I'm sort of afraid to watch it.

I don't know how SaiKano ends, but I can assure you, none of the others will leave you feeling happy. Chrono Crusade made me cry a lot, and for Koi Kaze... my face was wet with tears continually, starting at about episode 3.

And on "the lighter side of dark", there is Rozen Maiden

I agree with:
+Elfen Lied (dark/violent)
+Monster (dark/mysterious)
+Higurashi (dark... in ways I won't even describe)
+Death Note (dark/strategic)
+Gunslinger Girl (dark/sad)
+Noein
+Key the Metal Idol (sort of wierd plot and pacing, but certainly not happy)
Old 2007-04-16, 09:42   Link #32
Goofus Maximus
Senile Member

Another new series that looks to be taking a darker turn, is Sola.
Old 2007-09-03, 13:46   Link #33
Allergic
Blind Passenger

Since it has already been 5 month.. ladies and gentlemen, is there anything "new" that could fit my description? Thanks once more.
Old 2007-09-03, 14:52   Link #34
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Try Mononoke, a series putatively about fighting demons but really about human malevolence. The dark storylines are set in some of the most beautiful, and colorful, animation I've ever seen.

Mononoke was preceded by a three-episode arc called Bakeneko that concluded the (licensed) series Ayakashi Ayashi Samurai Horror Tales. (It's being released on DVD in R1 in the next few days.) You don't need to see it in order to enjoy Mononoke, but it's definitely worth watching and, in my case, buying.

Last edited by SeijiSensei; 2007-11-20 at 22:56. Reason: wrong Ayakashi
Old 2007-09-03, 18:04   Link #35
Tybbe
Baka

You should watch claymore. It's some what close to the anime and manga berserk.
Except that the main char is a girl in claymore.
Old 2007-09-03, 21:16   Link #36
GoTz
Deleted

Quote:
Originally Posted by radzor View Post
Too bad that Gilgamesh is Licensed and no one seem to be uploading them anymore ..
the entire series is actually still downloadable...

Currently Watching:Bleach, Naruto, Vampire Knight, Nabari no Ou, Code Geass 2, Macross Frontier, KGNE, Higurashi,
Kanon 2006,
Top Favorites:Scrapped Princess, Wolf's Rain, Juuni Kokki, Hunter x Hunter, Code Geass, Serei no Moribito, Death Note, Eureka Seven, Claymore
Old 2007-09-03, 22:41   Link #37
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei. One might think its another one of those comedy harem type of shows, but if you look deeper into it beneath its skin, its really as dark as what the name suggests it is. Kafuka, as pointed out by some members who has knowledge about human psychology, is a true bonafide psychopath in the making.

I don't know if they're going to follow the 'dark' path, but School Days is on my list just on that reason alone.

Afro Samurai though might be more up your alley, but then again, you'll probably have seen it already as everyone I know who's the least bit interested watched when it was broadcasted over at Spike TV.

Of course, if there's one licensed series I can't recommend enough, it's Noein. Don't let the first few episodes fool you, this show touches on a lot of dark subjects as it goes on. Worth every penny in my collection.

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
Old 2007-09-04, 00:04   Link #38
deathreape98
Clannad Preacher

I was surprised ot not see Death Note in your list. Its about a young man who finds a death note that lets him kill people by writing down their names, so he starts using it to kill all criminals and become god of a new world
Old 2007-09-05, 06:50   Link #39
Allergic
Blind Passenger

I like Claymore, somehow. Even though there's nothing special about if you subtract the Claymores itself. Just the usual "I'm kinda evil, even tho I appear nice to you" bigboss, "I'm such a sentimental boy, you know" subcharakter - and well, all that kitchy stuff Animes are so popular for. But I have to admit.. it's somewhat bearable in this series.

The other mentioned stuff needs to be checked out. Thanks for the suggestions.
Old 2007-11-20, 14:12   Link #40
Allergic
Blind Passenger

Dear Ladies, dear Sirs. Anything new for me?
Closed Thread

Tags
dark_themed, disturbing