AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2009-07-26, 12:44   Link #81
Theowne
耳をすませば

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hs Vi Germania View Post
I'm not a fan of muslim faith. The whole religion is a problem to me; how they live and how they treat there women.
How who treat their women? Turkey is a majority muslim nation, so is Saudi Arabia, so is Malaysia. These three countries do not treat women in the same way.

My Site - Reviews collection, Sheet music, and etc.
Anime reviews/blog, piano arrangements, Studio Ghibli..
Theowne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-26, 14:37   Link #82
Chaho-Chi
toptoptoptoptoptoptoptopt
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Chaho-Chi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hs Vi Germania View Post
I'm not a fan of muslim faith. The whole religion is a problem to me; how they live and how they treat there women.
Those are just a percentage of muslim countries, and most also don't read the Quran and pray all day if thats what your thinking.

That also what annoys me as a muslim. Thanks to the media people think Islam is filled with hate and stereotypes and war. It really just a peaceful religion (like all others).
Most of the all the people who cause all the bombings and shootings are misusing the way of Jihad (Which is just a struggle from being oppressed, it also doesn't always mean war. This also has restrictions).
It this kind of misunderstanding that muslims make that sets a bad example.

Chaho-Chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-27, 00:01   Link #83
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Meh... I can point to a number of Christian sects that treat their women as second class citizens ("the man is the Head of the household"). What is often *ascribed* to Islam is really crappy backward misogynist tribal nonsense that would be the same no matter what religion they were tagged with.

Treatment of women is less than generous in *any* patriarchal society.

Back to the topic..... the most likely reason you haven't seen much "islamic" references in anime is that the writers are simply unfamiliar with it. Christianity is seen more simply because it is something "Western" .... and Japanese think "things-Western" are cool rather like many Westerners think "things-asian" are cool.
Old 2009-07-27, 02:19   Link #84
aduckie

Last edited by aduckie; 2013-05-02 at 01:09.
aduckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-27, 06:17   Link #85
kucigaromeo
Hell Kitty
*Fansubber

Azadistan in Gundam 00 depicted Moderate vs Conservative conflict pretty much like Iran today. If Dr Faezeh Hashemi Rafsanjani become next Iranian president we'll have real life version of Marina Ismail (altough twice her age)

PLANETES has a rather good depiction of muslims. there are some that feel betrayed by the west and resort to terrorism. But others protrayed positively.

my anidb list: http://anidb.net/u224323
Hidamari Sketch, Arts of Innocence
kucigaromeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-27, 06:57   Link #86
klare

religion plays a not important role in Gundam 00, it just so happen that Marina and Setsuna are Muslims, religion does not affect their dreams and actions

i live in a majority-Muslims country and most Muslims are ok, the problem here is religion being played by politicians, the religion itself is NOT the problem

about treating women unequally, i feel it may be worse in Japan and Korea

the sad thing is that religion is always being used to achieve the desire of a small group of people

the smart story writers of anime or manga will try to avoid too much religion involved
klare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-28, 02:42   Link #87
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by kucigaromeo View Post
PLANETES has a rather good depiction of muslims. there are some that feel betrayed by the west and resort to terrorism. But others protrayed positively.
Naah, the majority of extremists muslims are angry because they just want the west to leave them alone and respect them. They don't feel betrayed by them.

(I watched Planetes. Excellent anime)
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-08, 08:06   Link #88
Almazluverdis3
Shall we do it?
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Almazluverdis3
I'm Muslim myself and I live in Saudi Arabia. I do agree it's rather absurd to not let women drive. Also, did you guys know we had to drive all the way to Bahrain just to watch a movie?
But really. I was listening to the BBC a while back and that Florida pastor guy was on. He said that some Muslims train their kids for extremist work and shit. My dad told me he was a nut-job, and that he was a red neck that only wanted attention to his crazy hype.
I wouldn't mind if characters in anime were Muslims. To be truthful, I'd be honored that someone cares. But if it was a negative role, of course I'd be a bit ticked off. But this is fiction. I don't think anyone should take fiction too seriously. But I don't like it when people despite us as terrorists. 9/11 was just a crew of about 10-60 people, I dunno. But blame a whole community. Good job, Bush. Thanks for upping the xenophobia. Don't know what that is? Xenophobia is fear of those who are different. (Such as. Homosexuals, Muslims ect.)

My rant is over.
Old 2010-11-08, 13:16   Link #89
Elo the Blue
Mama there goes that man!

It's never touched on as he was a minor character but considering his appearance and name, Rakan Dahkaran from Gundam ZZ might me Muslim.
Old 2010-11-09, 18:46   Link #90
dasrune
smh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solafighter View Post
Mh, watch the Cowboy Bebop Movie.

I have no clue, but in 2 scenes, the main char meets a guy, who looks like a Muslim.
The muslim faith never comes up once in that movie. The only thing you can say is that he is probably of middle eastern descent.
dasrune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-09, 20:50   Link #91
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Being a Muslim myself who is crazy inlove with anime, will surely be disgusted ifthere will be any anime that will portait Muslim in any degrading way especially ecchi stuffs!!!!... and of course specially when the characters are wearing the traditional Muslim attires.....
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-10, 20:00   Link #92
Ryonea
Smiling beauty
*Graphic Designer

I'm a muslim too but I don't really care about the portrayal in Japanese anime. Japanese tend to incorporate any culture, religion, or whatever along that line into their media and they don't care about accuracy as long as they think it'll be 'cool'. For example, we can see many Church nuns wielding guns with sexy attire. Even the Japanese love to tinker with their own Samurai heroes. See Hyakka Rouran for example, a genderbending of their own historical figures So it's not only muslims treated that way.
Old 2010-11-10, 20:43   Link #93
NoemiChan
Banned

As long as there is no ecchi stuffs pertaining to "us" then, l will not mind it...
Old 2010-11-10, 22:22   Link #94
Ichihara Asako
Horoist

Quote:
Originally Posted by genjichan View Post
As long as there is no ecchi stuffs pertaining to "us" then, l will not mind it...
Better not watch Ladies vs. Butlers, then. It had a girl who usually wore the hijab, but naturally had ecchi scenes as the entire anime was T&A.
Ichihara Asako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-10, 22:30   Link #95
NoemiChan
Banned

Yah, watch that........ but
too many nipple exposures..... But in defense in my earlier statements that I said.... In general, I still don'y approve of it... ok??

Last edited by NoemiChan; 2010-11-12 at 03:47.
Old 2010-12-09, 06:51   Link #96
Tsuyoshi
Disabled By Request

Send a message via AIM to Tsuyoshi Send a message via MSN to Tsuyoshi
Go with what Solomon said. Do take it with a handful of salt, Japanese anime do tend to misrepresent any culture, not just islam. That being said, I'm pretty sure that if Islamic countries get a hold of this, they'll do what they can to sue the studio/animators/creators of the series
Tsuyoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-09, 12:53   Link #97
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by genjichan View Post
Yah, watch that........ but
too many nipple exposures..... But in defense in my earlier statements that I said.... In general, I still don'y approve of it... ok??
Yeah, Islam doesn't get any special "get out of jail free" card any more than any other cultural motif, especially in anime. The Japanese just tend to take representational elements from other cultures and use them in ways that seem random simply because a particular element seems cool. One of the few places on the planet you can get "Santa crucified" ornaments Anime-makers don't even represent their own religions (Shinto, Buddhism) terribly accurately but use them as springboards into fantasy. The Judeo-Christian-Islam religious family is a salad bowl to grab from -- a brief watch of the current series Panty&Stocking should be revelatory

Basically, its all just silly and should be taken lightly.

Last edited by Vexx; 2010-12-09 at 13:42.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-09, 13:17   Link #98
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichihara Asako View Post
Better not watch Ladies vs. Butlers, then. It had a girl who usually wore the hijab, but naturally had ecchi scenes as the entire anime was T&A.
...with the intention of shotgun marraiging the main character for seeing her naked. How's that for stereotypes?

Anidb lists her last name as Indian. I'm not sure where that bit of info comes from, she has a Indian muslim family name but her first name is Turkish and her bodyguards name is Iranian. Of course, those are just the name origins, I don't know how widely those names are found in other countries.

Signature courtesy of Ganbaru.
0utf0xZer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-09, 17:07   Link #99
Nihokon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsuyoshi View Post
That being said, I'm pretty sure that if Islamic countries get a hold of this, they'll do what they can to sue the studio/animators/creators of the series
Totally. As I live in a country with major muslim population, that's usually the case.
Nihokon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-29, 09:45   Link #100
Misaki_A

Thumbs down

Heyy, Your ideas are extremely wrong. Muslims deal with things like doujinshi is not true. But everyone wants to be connected to its own will not track you want to monitor hentai. No one can say anything. I am a Turk and Muslim. 99% of my country is Muslim. Women's dress as they wish, and there is freedom. Already there be no compulsion in Islam. Everyone has his own will and live according to it. Hear only a part of the Muslim hatred of Western countries. The reason for poor Muslims introductions. Islam, Arab culture, not stirred. Muslim Arab culture is very different. Western countries against us, filthy people, using phrases like heathens. We have not forgotten those countries that once poured urine streets. I'm asking people who learn from us, even to the bathroom;
Nasty people who? Açsınlar a little history book. You always were an insult to us. Some terrorist organizations, however, we Muslims hate them. They're just hiding behind Islam religion and religion obnoxious know you're doing something wrong. Know that I will be plagues organizations ...

(My English is not very good so it might be mistakes ...)
Misaki_A is offline   Reply With Quote