AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2012-12-29, 10:29   Link #101
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to bhl88 Send a message via Yahoo to bhl88
There was a Muslim girl in PMMM who was taken to heaven.... Madoka's.

Turkey is one. Egypt, Syria, Iran, Afghan, Pakistan, Libya are a plenty.
Old 2012-12-29, 11:43   Link #102
Insane
Banned

I'd say that this thread is basically pointless. If someone gonna complain about the wrong depictions of muslim in anime, then he should have Questioned the screwed up depictions of other religions as well (Nuns in sexy outfit in Black Lagoon, female monks with daring robe in amanaideyo!). Well, if he's not an extremist of his own religion, of course.
Insane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-31, 23:31   Link #103
CJ_Walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane View Post
I'd say that this thread is basically pointless. If someone gonna complain about the wrong depictions of muslim in anime, then he should have Questioned the screwed up depictions of other religions as well (Nuns in sexy outfit in Black Lagoon, female monks with daring robe in amanaideyo!). Well, if he's not an extremist of his own religion, of course.
I haven't seen many muslims in anime to begin with, I mean I'm pretty sure they are aware of the violence against people who mess stuff up with the whole muslim religion, and rather would like to have their head stay attached to their body/not be threatened with death, or not like their embassies bombed etc. . .people are just more afraid of offending the muslims than any other religion/group. . . that whole societal stereotyping thing and all...
CJ_Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-05, 07:30   Link #104
Master Assassin
Portable Dude Mk. II
*Artist

Location: All ghillied up spying on someone ~2,000 yards away using telescope sights.
The only reason I won't take the very existence of Muslim characters in anime/manga well is because of the generic formulaic reaction of people in my environment, me being a Malaysian. This is a country where my fellows have seen the lamest fatwas (religious ruling declared by scholars) discussed and get approved, some artists banned just because "too indecent to perform on our soil", and a local sensationalist tabloid writing about calling hentai anime as just "anime" which caused an (silent) uproar of hate and rage against it.

The "devout" ones I've heard of also seem to think that Middle Easterns are supreme Muslims because they hail from the land our Prophet (peace be upon him, no matter how much ironic I seem to be for saying these), and all of them are Muslims. Incidents have occured a number of times just because of this misconception alone.

So yeah. I'd like to claim neutrality on this matter, but it sure is disturbing when some extremists (we call them "serbanistas" ) decide to crash the party because they feel the need to correct the depiction of Muslims - and cancel out any evil depiction and replace them with "always just, right, and everything nice" - in fiction.

--- This line over here is a placeholder. ----
Master Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-05, 07:48   Link #105
justpassingby

One of the memorable scene in Gundam ZZ Ep 31 when suddenly Athan/Azan is heard and the people (except Judau and his merry friends) started to prostrate (sujud).
What mazhab was that again?
Old 2013-01-05, 08:29   Link #106
Master Assassin
Portable Dude Mk. II
*Artist

Location: All ghillied up spying on someone ~2,000 yards away using telescope sights.
Quote:
Originally Posted by justpassingby View Post
One of the memorable scene in Gundam ZZ Ep 31 when suddenly Athan/Azan is heard and the people (except Judau and his merry friends) started to prostrate (sujud).
What mazhab was that again?
Um, I don't really think that has any questions to do with mazhabs (branches), I'm pretty sure they wanted to depict something like "The azan (call to prayers) have sounded and those people are answering to it."

Which brings us back to "depiction correctness."

--- This line over here is a placeholder. ----
Master Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-05, 08:48   Link #107
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

No it doesn't...

But in terms of how correct it was it might not even matter. You're not actually supposed to immediately prostrate when the azaan is being called like it was depicted in that show but hey, it's the distant future in Gundam ZZ and some artistic license is a perfectly reasonable excuse.

This whole discussion is ridiculous to begin with. Islam has extremely little, if at all, relevance to Japan and is simply not something they care much about to begin with. Controversial topics like sensitivities and whatnot are hardly going factor in.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote