AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Lucky Star

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-08-05, 08:32   Link #201
Kagami~n
I want to @#$% with--

Send a message via AIM to Kagami~n
You can never look too much into these things. Not when you consider the insane attention to detail that Kyoani displayed for some of these things.
Old 2008-08-05, 13:24   Link #202
DaBigD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kagami~n View Post
You can never look too much into these things. Not when you consider the insane attention to detail that Kyoani displayed for some of these things.
Yeah, I always thought KyoAni oversimplified (I'm not complaining - it looks cute) the characters and background in L*S, but that image really proved me false and gave me a completely new reason why L*S is epic.

Spoiler for ep17:
Old 2008-08-05, 13:46   Link #203
Kagami~n
I want to @#$% with--

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBigD View Post
Yeah, I always thought KyoAni oversimplified (I'm not complaining - it looks cute) the characters and background in L*S, but that image really proved me false and gave me a completely new reason why L*S is epic.

Spoiler for ep17:
I thought that was Shiraishi talking to Anizawa, making a reference to the alleged "rivalry" between Tomokazu Sugita and Tomokazu Seki, who's voicing Anizawa. I could be completely wrong though.
Old 2008-08-06, 23:32   Link #204
Toomz
Registered vagabond

It really amazes me how much detail actually went into so many of the little things in the background. That aside, it opens up a whole new level of looking into an anime too much
Old 2008-08-08, 10:29   Link #205
Gespenst
Real Robot

Quote:
Originally Posted by kj1980 View Post
Some of Ep. 10

Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Old 2008-08-09, 08:25   Link #206
Amray

uuugh, this is just a thought. I am not sure if it has been mentioned yet so I apologize if it has.

When Konata, Kagami and Tsukasa are going to Miyuki's house for the first time, and Konata asks her if she has a big fluffy white dog, then Miyuki answers and says "No, but their is someone with a dog of that description in the neighbourhood next to us" (or something like that anyway), could she be talking about Chiyo-can from Azumanga Daioh or maybe Ana Coppola from Ichigo Mashimaro?

The reason I ask is because they are the two most notable anime characters with big, fluffy, white dogs, and I thought it must be a reference from something as t'would be weird to just mention something that that randomly. Just a thought.
Old 2008-08-09, 12:55   Link #207
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Minami has a big white fluffy dog.

Though the reference is likely Chiyo-chan in some respects. I imagine that is one rich persons stereotype in Japan. Having enough outdoor space to own a large dog, and having it be a fluffy whte one (Great Pyrenees) as they are one of the larger breeds of dog.
Old 2008-08-09, 16:46   Link #208
Claies
Good-Natured Asshole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Minami has a big white fluffy dog.

Though the reference is likely Chiyo-chan in some respects. I imagine that is one rich persons stereotype in Japan. Having enough outdoor space to own a large dog, and having it be a fluffy whte one (Great Pyrenees) as they are one of the larger breeds of dog.
Correct, that dog belongs to Minami, who is also Miyuki's neighbor.
Old 2008-08-10, 07:29   Link #209
Amray

Oops. My mistake.. ^_^;
Sorry.
Old 2008-08-11, 02:13   Link #210
Once and Current Subber

I also saw the Zabi reference cited, so I took a look, to see if I could duplicate the effect in the subs. Overall, no, not really. There's ONE LINE that's the same, but I'd expect that line in any speech being delivered in militaristic-inspirational style.
Old 2008-08-11, 06:41   Link #211
Amray

Episode 21.

It is quite a well known fact that when people visited shrines in Japan various Otaku males put up wishes stating "Be Konata's Wife". On episode 21 when they visit one on their trip Konata says "Hmmm, it says "Be Konata's Wife" on this one". I think it is a reference to real life.
Old 2008-08-11, 17:57   Link #212
Kagami~n
I want to @#$% with--

It is a reference to real life, to a now infamous "prayer" left at the Washinomiya shrine. I thought it said "Konata is my wife" though.

Either way, Lucky*Star pays attention to its fans. :3
Old 2008-08-12, 09:13   Link #213
Amray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kagami~n View Post
It is a reference to real life, to a now infamous "prayer" left at the Washinomiya shrine. I thought it said "Konata is my wife" though.

Either way, Lucky*Star pays attention to its fans. :3
Yeah, it probably did say that. I did not quote it directly. My fault. ^^;

If I were one of the people that left a note such as that I would be quite greatful, especially considering Konata actually read it. Although mine would say "Tsukasa is my kawaii Wife..for ever and ever and ever..."
Old 2008-08-12, 11:57   Link #214
Kagami~n
I want to @#$% with--

Oh? Not arguing the point, but I thought you were a Kagami fan?
Old 2008-08-13, 05:51   Link #215
Amray

I am very much so a Kagami fan and still love her...although Tsukasa is higher for me.
Old 2008-08-14, 00:15   Link #216
BOOKGLUTTON
;;'

Minami all the way. She gets no love.
Old 2008-08-14, 12:03   Link #217
KitsuneNineTails
赤い狐

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
most of the religions of the world are *nothing* like the Judeo-Christian-Islamic branches.
Thank heavens (pun intended). Reading about Japanese history and its persecution of Christians... I mean, persecution is bad in any form, but I found it hard to blame the Tokugawa Shogunate for their stance on Christians, seeing what the missionaries were doing to other parts of the world at the time.

Quote:
I would actually be surprised (happily though) if almost any female teen even watched the series in Japan.
Anime (especially slice-of-life-comedy about girls) is still mostly the province of single young males with little normal social life though that is changing.
Hmm, much like here in the US I guess... I wonder if you looked at demographics if anime had broader or narrower appeal in the US, or if it were actually more popular per capita. Prolly not, although a LOT of the younger generation are getting into it. It seems that the ONLY Saturday morning cartoons nowadays are anime-based (although I guess Voltron, Transformers, Thundercats, etc. from my youth were all anime-based too...).

Quote:
4) There is no resemblence between the attitudes and lifestyle of american VAs with their japanese counterparts. And frankly, many american VAs love their work -- I've met Jess Harnell, Rob Paulsen, Tress Macneille, Maurice LaMarche and heard interviews with the Simpson cast.
I know we have at least one regular poster here who did anime VA work for an English dub. She had a post about the particular series and she seemed to really get into it, tried to figure out the character and tried to personify the character as best she could. I've seen interviews with some of the English VAs for Cowboy Bebop and RahXephon. I guess Steven Jay Blum (I'm sure most people know that he's an awesome VA who pretty much makes any English dub worthwhile) isn't really a big anime fan, but he always seems to take a lot of pride in his work. The guys from Robotech - Shadow Chronicles are totally into the whole anime thing (Tony Oliver, Mark Hamhill even). They all seem passionate about their work too.

Quote:
Equal rights in Japan is running about 20 years behind the US in cultural respects (much like their pop music seems to sound like it came from 20 years ago).
Yeah this is one major aspect where I greatly favor our American culture over Japanese culture, although it's nice to see that it's changing, albeit slowly. Of course, we still have quite a ways to go, as well... (especially getting equal representation in the technology industry damnit! ).

Ciao!
Old 2008-08-14, 14:13   Link #218
BOOKGLUTTON
;;'

Wall of text makes my eyes burn, but I read anyways.
Old 2008-08-14, 23:49   Link #219
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

heh... get used to the "wall of text" type of post... it is very common on this forum as many of the posters are quite verbose.

I find it a bit disconcerting when someone responds to a text I wrote more than a week or two ago.

The Tokugawa Shogunate had legitimate concerns about the erosion of control (and culture) the missionaries and their converts represented. Granted the solution was horrifying -- but look at what was going on the rest of Asia and the world. For the standards of the time it was simply brutal and effective. The Spanish Inquisition, persecution and torture of "jews","gypsies","witches" in various parts of the Western World.

I'd argue the big mistake the missionaries made in Japan was they didn't convert the powerful first (like they did in most Western civilizations: convert the king and the rest are forced to follow). Converting the peasants first created a threatening situation.
Old 2008-08-15, 08:52   Link #220
Kagami~n
I want to @#$% with--

Quote:
Originally Posted by KitsuneNineTails View Post
Hmm, much like here in the US I guess... I wonder if you looked at demographics if anime had broader or narrower appeal in the US, or if it were actually more popular per capita. Prolly not, although a LOT of the younger generation are getting into it. It seems that the ONLY Saturday morning cartoons nowadays are anime-based (although I guess Voltron, Transformers, Thundercats, etc. from my youth were all anime-based too...).
I guess I'm in some crazy minority. I'm female and I'm in a healthy long-term relationship. The two of us watch it together. I'm not a teenager though...
Closed Thread