AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Old 2016-08-03, 02:10   Link #1
marvelB

One Piece - Chapter 835 [manga]

Welcome to the weekly manga discussion thread for One Piece.

Thread GuidelineBriefs
  • One Piece is licensed by Viz, please don't ask for or mention where to find or download the manga.
  • Please do not discuss scanlations, translation groups, etc., etc.
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Discuss your expectations of the chapter if it has not been published yet.
  • Posting a synopses or summary is fine (and welcome).
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on topic.
  • Spoilers will not be policed in this thread, so if you haven't read the chapter yet, just stay out if you don't want to read spoilers.
Remember that the manga is licensed, do not post significant parts of the chapter. This includes images, scripts and direct translations of the manga. Summaries are OK, crops of pictures are OK (only if you need to illustrate your point) but this is it.

Another early summary is out! Credit goes to both YonkouProductions and Sandman from AP for the info:

-Chapter title is "Country of souls". Splash page is yet another color page.

-In Totland's Chocolate Town, it's revealed that the townsfolk are asked a certain question every six months. A shadowy figure asks a person, "Leave or Life?", to which the person merely responds.... "Life". The citizen then gets part of her lifespan absorbed by the shadow.....

-Back at the forest, Luffy eventually finds the REAL Nami. She explains the situation to him: In a brief flashback, she manages to escape Charlotte Brulee with the help of her Clima Tact. Carrot, on the other hand, attempts to fight back. However, as she lands her strike, Brulee creates a mirror, and Carrot's own attack is reflected back at her! Brulee then explains that she has the powers of the Mira Mira no Mi (from mirror, naturally), and proceeds to trap Carrot within the mirror world! Brulee then orders the trees to capture the rest of the crew, but Chopper refuses to stay idle and get captured; he eats a Rumble Ball and turns into his monster form! Brulee is impressed by the transformation, saying that Big Mom will be happy with Chopper's acquisition, as she's a collector of rare and bizarre beasts. The flashback ends here.....

-Back in the present, Luffy asks the buried giant why the trees can move. The giant explains that it's the result of Big Mom's devil fruit ability. She has the powers of the Soru Soru no Mi (soul soul fruit), which grants her the ability to manipulate souls! As for the giant himself, he used to be one of Big Mom's husbands.... but after they had two daughters, she threw him away. As the giant continues his story, another enemy appears behind him: Big Mom's 10th son, and one of the "Sweet 3 Shousei", Cracker! He angrily scolds the giant for giving away info to his enemies. Amusingly, during the commotion, it's revealed that the giant is NOT a giant, after all.... he just happens to have a HUGE head. He then begs Cracker to let him see his daughter, Chiffon, whom he's learned had gotten married. He also begs to talk with Big Mom herself, and mentions that his other daughter.... LOLA.... has left home, as well. The big-headed man merely wants to be together with his family again. Naturally, the mention of Lola's name did not go unnoticed by Nami.....

BTW, this upcoming break is due to a Japanese holiday, so ALL SJ series will be on break next week, not just OP. Just wanted to put that out there.

Last edited by marvelB; 2016-08-04 at 04:13.
marvelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-03, 17:13   Link #2
Rainbowman

Very informative chapter here. And I'm glad Nami escaped her situation. I wonder if Carrot and Chopper would be able to escape from theirs.
Rainbowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-04, 04:19   Link #3
marvelB

Made a teensy update to the summary. According to Sandman, Cracker is one of Big Mom's "Sweet 3 Shousei". with the "shousei" characters (将星) apparently meaning something like admiral in Japanese (different from the kanji used for the marine admirals, though). Perhaps these guys are equivalent to the "disasters" from Kaidou's crew....?
Old 2016-08-04, 06:27   Link #4
ZGoten
Custom User Title

Send a message via ICQ to ZGoten
It's confirmed! Good info dump chapter. I'm glad they gave Chopper some credit. He's one of my favorite Strawhats.
Old 2016-08-04, 06:36   Link #5
itachi-san314

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post
Made a teensy update to the summary. According to Sandman, Cracker is one of Big Mom's "Sweet 3 Shousei". with the "shousei" characters (将星) apparently meaning something like admiral in Japanese (different from the kanji used for the marine admirals, though). Perhaps these guys are equivalent to the "disasters" from Kaidou's crew....?
That's a pretty safe bet. I got the same impression.

This chapter was really good. It was packed with action and information. I'm glad Nami finally acknowledged that they were taking BM's crew too lightly. It was getting kind of ridiculous to think an Emperor would be so easy to sneak up on and deal with. The Soul Soul DF explains a lot. I wonder what exactly happens when she eats people. I also wonder what exactly it means in relation to her having so many kids. I feel like she makes them with her DF, but she's probably just promiscuous
itachi-san314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-04, 09:08   Link #6
khoa1708
www.kh0a.net

there's no way this arc ends with luffy taking on big mom right?
is he that strong already?
Old 2016-08-04, 10:08   Link #7
Tommy
Mr. Prince

Great chapter, I'm wondering now if Jinbei gave up a large chunk of his soul to leave Big Mom's crew and if this translated into a powerful new warrior in his absence using his soul. It's kind of like Moria all over again.
Tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-04, 10:59   Link #8
ZGoten
Custom User Title

Send a message via ICQ to ZGoten
Quote:
Originally Posted by khoa1708 View Post
there's no way this arc ends with luffy taking on big mom right?
is he that strong already?
He's far from that strong. He was weaker than Doflamingo, and Doflamingo himself is probably not nearly on Big Mom's level. Now anyone can take on anyone of course, but if you're asking if this arc will end with Luffy, by himself, defeating Big Mom, I'd say it's is very, very unlikely. At this point I'm not sure the arc will end with Big Mom being defeated at all.
Old 2016-08-04, 12:23   Link #9
Blaat

After 350 chapters Lola's vivre card will finally come in handy.
Old 2016-08-04, 15:46   Link #10
marvelB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
Great chapter, I'm wondering now if Jinbei gave up a large chunk of his soul to leave Big Mom's crew and if this translated into a powerful new warrior in his absence using his soul. It's kind of like Moria all over again.

More like Moria combined with Sugar, lol. Anyways, at least we know the limitations of the power, if the translation is correct: Human souls cannot inhabit the body of another person, living or dead. But in that case, I wonder if Big Mom's power would be very effective against Brooke? Technically, he's already "dead", but he can freely manipulate his own soul. Perhaps his ability just so happens to perfectly counter the Yonkou's....?

As far as Jinbei goes, I think it's a good bet that yes, he ended up sacrificing a sizeable amount of life force to Big Mom, as well. Randolph (rabbit dude) already shows that fairly tough soldiers can be created through soul transferring, so maybe Jinbei's soul will be used to create something like this arc's equivalent to zombie Oars from Thriller Bark.....?
Old 2016-08-04, 22:07   Link #11
adriankhoo153

Yes i agreed with that Luffy is still far fetch from one of those Yonku. Mingo is stonger than Luffy and he is scared of big mum. Hence Luffy have no chance againts big mum.

Having said that i would said SH help to track Lola back to BM husband and he bring Lola to BM whch BM overcome with pure happyness for one of her real dotter is back. BM alliance with SH begin
adriankhoo153 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-04, 22:11   Link #12
adriankhoo153

Btw, damn no chapter for next week.. T.T
Old 2016-08-04, 22:34   Link #13
~Yami~
a random Indonesian otaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaat View Post
After 350 chapters Lola's vivre card will finally come in handy.
I don't even remember that they have Lola's vivre card
but I'll say it's unwise to meet Lola again since.. umm... her husband is kinda...

nice info dump
it explained the nature of Big Mom's territory
but still we need to see the power of Big Mom.. she is not just a super-strong giant, right?
~Yami~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-04, 23:04   Link #14
adriankhoo153

So far we have all kind of monster beast fighter, warrior etc but i havent come across a super inteligent tactical fighter. That will be very interesting is someone very powerful in tactical fighting and super inteligent
Old 2016-08-05, 00:34   Link #15
jordan_d_dragon

Big mom df ability is very similiar to gecko moria.that shadow thing that collecting soul is like moria "brick bat".moria and big mom can transfer shadow/soul to object make them alive.the difference is moria can transfer shadow to corpse and living being while big mom cant.i wonder if big mom can turn herself to become soul
jordan_d_dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-05, 01:54   Link #16
Tommy
Mr. Prince

Quote:
More like Moria combined with Sugar, lol. Anyways, at least we know the limitations of the power, if the translation is correct: Human souls cannot inhabit the body of another person, living or dead. But in that case, I wonder if Big Mom's power would be very effective against Brooke? Technically, he's already "dead", but he can freely manipulate his own soul. Perhaps his ability just so happens to perfectly counter the Yonkou's....?

As far as Jinbei goes, I think it's a good bet that yes, he ended up sacrificing a sizeable amount of life force to Big Mom, as well. Randolph (rabbit dude) already shows that fairly tough soldiers can be created through soul transferring, so maybe Jinbei's soul will be used to create something like this arc's equivalent to zombie Oars from Thriller Bark.....?
Interesting theory on Brooke, but seeing as the only thing tethering him to the world is his soul via his devil fruit I would argue that big mom might be one of the only ones that could kill him. I mean how else would you?

I was thinking the same thing, another Beastly creature like oars.
Tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-05, 03:16   Link #17
Ramero
7th Order Knight / Hermit

Well, Sugar's ability makes people forget about those who are turned to toys while Moria forced those who lost their shadows to hide in the dark since the darkness or shades helps them to survive.

Since Brook was a Yomi Yomi no mi, we could expect his ability can counter Big Mom's Soru Soru no mi since Brook has souls but it doesn't tell how long he can live with that fruit.
Ramero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-05, 14:00   Link #18
marvelB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
Interesting theory on Brooke, but seeing as the only thing tethering him to the world is his soul via his devil fruit I would argue that big mom might be one of the only ones that could kill him. I mean how else would you?

Well, it depends, I suppose. Still, I personally can't help but feel that Brooke also having a soul-related DF ability will be important somehow in dealing with Big Mama's power....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Yami~ View Post
I don't even remember that they have Lola's vivre card
but I'll say it's unwise to meet Lola again since.. umm... her husband is kinda...
Lola still isn't married yet (at least, as far as we know). Remember, the guy in the hole is her father!

But that does bring up an interesting thought, though.... that not all of Big Mom's children are antagonistic towards our heroes. Lola helped Luffy and co. defeat Moria, and Pudding drew a map to WCI for the crew (and while the latter does have her share of suspicions, let's put that aside for now until we know her whole story). Heck, even that mermaid chick Praline didn't object to Jinbei's decision to split from Big Mom (though she did warn him of the consequences). Now on the other hand, a majority of the Charlotte family we've seen so far did turn out to be enemies. I wonder what the friend/foe ratio will be among Big Mom's kids, overall....?
Old 2016-08-05, 14:34   Link #19
Ramero
7th Order Knight / Hermit

Quote:
Well, it depends, I suppose. Still, I personally can't help but feel that Brooke also having a soul-related DF ability will be important somehow in dealing with Big Mama's power....

Lola still isn't married yet (at least, as far as we know). Remember, the guy in the hole is her father!

But that does bring up an interesting thought, though.... that not all of Big Mom's children are antagonistic towards our heroes. Lola helped Luffy and co. defeat Moria, and Pudding drew a map to WCI for the crew (and while the latter does have her share of suspicions, let's put that aside for now until we know her whole story). Heck, even that mermaid chick Praline didn't object to Jinbei's decision to split from Big Mom (though she did warn him of the consequences). Now on the other hand, a majority of the Charlotte family we've seen so far did turn out to be enemies. I wonder what the friend/foe ratio will be among Big Mom's kids, overall....?
Aside of Gang Bege that plotting a coup d'etat against Big Mom. I can expect there will be more likely three side of combat here. Vinsmoke + Big Mom Loyalist vs Gang Bege vs Straw hats and those who oppose Big Mom.
Ramero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-17, 15:26   Link #20
Jmariofan7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZGoten View Post
He's far from that strong. He was weaker than Doflamingo, and Doflamingo himself is probably not nearly on Big Mom's level. Now anyone can take on anyone of course, but if you're asking if this arc will end with Luffy, by himself, defeating Big Mom, I'd say it's is very, very unlikely. At this point I'm not sure the arc will end with Big Mom being defeated at all.
You can't make the assumption that Doflamingo was "stronger", as that clearly wasn't a fair fight, there was a strict time limit, forcing Luffy to jump to his most powerful form prematurely, which had a major drawback.
Jmariofan7 is offline   Reply With Quote