AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2006-01-04, 18:16   Link #1
mxg
The Lone Gamer

Send a message via AIM to mxg Send a message via MSN to mxg Send a message via Yahoo to mxg
Valkyrie Profile(PSP/PS2)

Well since the other thread got destroyed I made another one. So we can contine discussion.
And also check out this amazing clip.
The graphics in Silmeria ARE FUCKING AMAZING !!!!! The really did push the ps2 as far as it can their.

http://files.pspupdates.qj.net/Valkyrie_Profile_2_1.mpg
mxg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-04, 18:52   Link #2
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

A sequel to VP would have been better if you ask me.

Anyway, VP Silmeria looks very interesting. I'll be sure to keep my eyes open for any other updates in the future.
Old 2006-01-05, 00:30   Link #3
shikamarufoo

That looks NICE! I never had the chance to play the OG Valkyrie Profile on ps1, hopefully I can get this. Off topic also, but those Valkyrie profiles on eBay go for like $70+ sealed!
shikamarufoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-05, 11:22   Link #4
TTHX

Hmmm just a tought, Valkryie Prfofile online I think would be pretty neat!
TTHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-05, 13:19   Link #5
mxg
The Lone Gamer

Send a message via AIM to mxg Send a message via MSN to mxg Send a message via Yahoo to mxg
Quote:
Originally Posted by TTHX
Hmmm just a tought, Valkryie Prfofile online I think would be pretty neat!
It can be a good idea to base it directly on Norse Mythology and have the Valkyire profile charcters be gods or something in the game, while the character we play are the ones who have to prove our selves to the gods and if we are taken to Valhalla then that can count as another world aside from Midgard.

And another thing does anyone think that Arngrim is a rip off of Guts from Berserk although their personality is a bit different the charcter models are sure as hell ripped straight from the Berserk anime even the sword is the same size and shape except for the symbols on Arngrims sword even the armor is the same the arm piece of armor is on the same hand as Guts, wel never the less I like Arngrim becuase he is a such a beast but not as much as Guts. What do you all think ?
Old 2006-01-05, 18:52   Link #6
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxg
And another thing does anyone think that Arngrim is a rip off of Guts from Berserk although their personality is a bit different the charcter models are sure as hell ripped straight from the Berserk anime even the sword is the same size and shape except for the symbols on Arngrims sword even the armor is the same the arm piece of armor is on the same hand as Guts, wel never the less I like Arngrim becuase he is a such a beast but not as much as Guts. What do you all think ?
I have never seen Berserk, so I really can't comment on that.

Going back to Silmeria; they better improve the special attack system this time around. The ones on the first game were nice, but seeing the same moves over and over again was a bit tiring in the long run.

By the time I reached the final stages, I was completly fed up with "Nibelung Valesti".
Old 2006-01-05, 22:49   Link #7
mxg
The Lone Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel E.
I have never seen Berserk, so I really can't comment on that.

Going back to Silmeria; they better improve the special attack system this time around. The ones on the first game were nice, but seeing the same moves over and over again was a bit tiring in the long run.

By the time I reached the final stages, I was completly fed up with "Nibelung Valesti".
Ok well look at these and see.
Spoiler:
Old 2006-01-06, 00:30   Link #8
ayyo

No, they don't look ripped off to me, Gutz isn't the only typical angry male with a big sword and rugged looks. And the sword don't even look similar in any way to me except that they ARE swords from the two images you shown.
ayyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-06, 13:41   Link #9
mxg
The Lone Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayyo
No, they don't look ripped off to me, Gutz isn't the only typical angry male with a big sword and rugged looks. And the sword don't even look similar in any way to me except that they ARE swords from the two images you shown.
So I am here thinking that you are blind when you can clearly see Armor similarites and character model similarites. And their ingame similarites are so close ! I am also thinking you have never played the game becuase in the game they say that Arngrim killed 100 men and was the hero of the battlefield and Arngrim himself said that he can only find joy in swing his sword, you would obviously know this if you played the Game or watched or read the Berserk series.
And the reson I am being a bitch is because calling these charcters the "typical angry males with big swords" is way to generic a comment becuase their are few animes and games with characters like these especially with stories the type of behind these charcters.
Old 2006-01-06, 14:16   Link #10
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

After looking at the pics for a while, I realize that Arngrim's sword is too small in that pic. The one he swings in the game is way bigger.
Old 2006-01-06, 14:26   Link #11
mxg
The Lone Gamer

Yep but I could not find another good quality picture of him. Although Arngrim is preety rape on his own though but Guts is far superior.
Old 2006-02-01, 14:30   Link #12
sukreih
okusenman!okusenman!

I simply thought Arngrim is just a parody character of Gutz(considering his looks and sword),nothing serious. He is one of my favourite characters in the game,was in the party til the end(well you couldn't send him anyways). Me and my bro called him Gutz instead of Aryuze(we played the Japanese ver.)
sukreih is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-18, 22:49   Link #13
celcius
Aspiring but lazy

VP:Silmeria JP has been out for close to a month and no one is talking about it here? Sacrilege!! j/k

It's been said a thousand times, and I'll say it again: The graphics are simply gorgeous. The sprites, the background, the effects, just too good.

Sound is also very good. It's still composed by the same composer Motoi Sakuraba, but he uses more symphonic / orchestral sounds this time, giving it more of a grand feel. Played the eng VPL, so this is the first I hear VP with Jap voices. I must say, some characters from VPL that are here sure have great voices, especially the one being done by Takehito Koyasou. I never skip his Ougi ^^

Battle is definitely improved. It's a 3d-plane where you have free movement; but when you engage an enemy in the plane, it goes to your classic VPL battle style. More strategy in battles now, since you can attack from sides and behind. Attacks cost AP. You use AP when you attack and cast spells, while you regain AP when you are attacked or you move. You can also break body parts for enemies. Say you break the soldiers legs, he isn't going anywhere after that. Also, it is good to note that Guts is still in the game; just not the IMBA Guts it was back in VPL. ^^

Einherjars are more of generic units now. Unlike in VPL, where they get a whole period or two dedicated to their backstory, these Einherjar have only a history page in their status.
Quote:
Don't worry, as with greater magic in VPL, Ougi in VPS is also weapon enabled. So you don't always have the chance to rip out a Nibelung Valesti. And Ougi can be skipped so that's also a plus.

Last edited by celcius; 2006-07-19 at 08:53.
celcius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-19, 03:33   Link #14
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Quote:
Originally Posted by celcius
VP:Silmeria JP has been out for close to a month and no one is talking about it here? Sacrilege!! j/k
I am gonna be honest here and I'll admit to have completly missed any new info on this game so far.

The things you mention sound mighty interesting to say the least.
Old 2006-07-19, 08:48   Link #15
celcius
Aspiring but lazy

VP:Silmeria received a 9/8/8/9 = 34 from Famitsu. IIRC, VP:Lenneth received a total of 37. The game is really hard, seriously. Despite having overflowing levels (courtesy of "where am I going now???"), I had some problems with some dungeons' normal enemies. I think the focus is more on having the right accessories and equipment, attacks, skills, and sealed stones. (quite impossible with limited Jap reading skills and over a 100+ accessories xD)

I forgot to mention, breaking parts usually results to item drops. Breaking different parts may result to different item drops. Also, breaking parts has a small chance of invoking "Break Mode" where it's almost like having a doubled and refilled AP bar.

Sealed stones are stones that give bonuses, reductions, or both to either the party or the map. Examples would be [ATKx1.2], [RDMx1.2], [ATKx1.5 DEF 1/2].They can be found in most of the maps and are bought with blue gems (those that give bonus XP). If you buy them, you can bring sealed stones to other maps and you can set them to only affect your party. You can also buy some negative stones and set them on the enemy xD

Last edited by celcius; 2006-07-19 at 21:53.
celcius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-19, 10:09   Link #16
Zhemos

I never got to play the first one. :\

Never even heard about Valkyrie Profile untill recently. Being a fan of norse mythology, I'm kind of looking forward to Silmeria, but I'm a little bit skeptical, I've heard the story is very dark and gloomy.

Here's a cool link for Norse mythology fans.

http://www.pantheon.org/areas/mythol.../articles.html
Zhemos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-19, 11:15   Link #17
V-Slasher

play vp lenneth, it is a masterpiece! tought the norse mythology is a bit screwed...
V-Slasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-19, 22:57   Link #18
u43368
Disabled By Request

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhemos
I never got to play the first one. :\

Never even heard about Valkyrie Profile untill recently. Being a fan of norse mythology, I'm kind of looking forward to Silmeria, but I'm a little bit skeptical, I've heard the story is very dark and gloomy
Yeah it's dark, that's why I like it.
u43368 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-21, 05:14   Link #19
Idle Eve
Tip of the Brink.

Send a message via AIM to Idle Eve Send a message via MSN to Idle Eve
I just got Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth. It's a fine piece of work. There are not many noticeable changes from the PS version besides some CG-cinema here and there, but once again, it's not a bad. Norse Mythology wise, it's a wee bit off. For one, why does Odin have his right eye still? If he talked to the head of Mimir (supposedly the giant that challenged Odin's wisdom...I believe. It has been a while), then he should have impaled himself to the tree Yggdrasil for 9 days and 9 nights and tributed his eye. It's still there... Fun stuff. Also, I think Lenneth is a play off of the most famous Valkyrie, Brynhild, as to why... to be honest, I have not the energy to explain. Vp isn't a bad allusion to Norse Mythology, I'll give it that, but since I'm currently writing a story (yes, right now. I was assigned it 8 hours ago), it's not much help. ;_;. Well, that should be obvious. Anyhow, it's a fun game.

So, anyone else notice any Norse themes that were altered? Maybe some comments on the work itself?
Idle Eve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-22, 02:17   Link #20
Syn13
Sui Yein Ng 13

Had it on PSone, I think one of my friend borrowed it and I never seem to have got it back...So I'm gonna get it on PSP and by then, the English version of the sequel will probably be released on PS2 so I'm all good. The game was awsome even though I played it for the first 15 minutes.

Talking about rip off characters, the main character from a upcoming game by Level5 called Jeanne D'Arc like Saber from Fate/Stay Night, examples are in my current sig/avatar.
Syn13 is offline   Reply With Quote