AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Naruto/Boruto

Notices

View Poll Results: Byukugan or sharingan?
Byukugan 407 35.51%
Sharingan 647 56.46%
Neither 92 8.03%
Voters: 1146. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2008-11-15, 15:21   Link #2101
Kenshin_Uchiha
Kenjutsu God
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
[snip]

-HyugaNeji- the sharingan has defensive abilities to, predicting movements, that and the skill to watch all of your enemys moves.

Edit: Sorry for the spoilers but couldn't you have avoided the snip :P Now I don't remember what I wrote lol

Last edited by Kenshin_Uchiha; 2008-11-15 at 16:35.
Kenshin_Uchiha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-15, 16:25   Link #2102
Waking_Dreamer
Dreamer King
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: lost - with no intention to be found...
Age: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by -HyugaNeji- View Post
You miss an important point. You can't just say "which eye is stronger" without considering the use of your own body. It's not like these eyes are in a jar and fighting each other.
lol....thats a good one....that image deserves to have a dA!
Waking_Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-16, 03:59   Link #2103
ronin myael
lost ronin
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: in the recesses of my convoluted mind...
Yeah, sorry for the spoilers mod. Forgot to put in spoiler tags.

I was just responding to a post I read earlier which unfortunately I can't talk about now. Bummer!
ronin myael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-16, 11:12   Link #2104
Killer Bee
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by -HyugaNeji- View Post
You miss an important point. You can't just say "which eye is stronger" without considering the use of your own body. It's not like these eyes are in a jar and fighting each other.

The Sharingan clearly is an offensive eye, while the byakugan is a defensive eye. So if you define strong, as "offensive", then the sharingan would be your choice. If you define strong, as "defensive", then the byakugan gives you a much better variety of possibilities. The sharingan is tied to the uchiha body to access it's full potential while the Byakugan is tied to the Hyuga Bodyto access it's full potential. The sharingan, i agree here, gives the user the possibility to not really do much during a fight except using the eye. The strenght of the Byakugan on the other hand comes from the combination of body and eye (because of it's defensive nature). That's why you can't look at it seperated.

In football(soccer), there's both tactics. Offensive, fast play, and defensive play to create openings for counter attacks. Both tactics are valid and have shown to be effective (On a side note. The defensive tactic is more sucessful in tournaments. There is this quote. Offense wins games, Defense wins tournaments)

So if you consider a fight between a byakugan user and a sharingan user, you have to take into account the use of the body. If a byakugan user would be able to see an amaterasu attack miles ahead, why shouldn't he be allowed to avoid it? It was his eye which created this chance in the first place. So that would be it's strength and advantage at this point.

In the end, it's always about the "user" and his or her capabilities. If an offensive Football team can't break a defense to shoot goals, and the defensive team isn't good enough in their offense to shoot goals, it'll be a draw.
I think you got the wrong idea. I am saying what you are saying, but someone redefined the parameters of the discussion, and my post that you quoted in order to reply was saying that those parameters didn't make sense. From what I gather, you're saying the same exact thing.
Killer Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-17, 15:41   Link #2105
Sabaku Kyu
The Ironman
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by -HyugaNeji- View Post
You miss an important point. You can't just say "which eye is stronger" without considering the use of your own body. It's not like these eyes are in a jar and fighting each other.

The Sharingan clearly is an offensive eye, while the byakugan is a defensive eye. So if you define strong, as "offensive", then the sharingan would be your choice. If you define strong, as "defensive", then the byakugan gives you a much better variety of possibilities. The sharingan is tied to the uchiha body to access it's full potential while the Byakugan is tied to the Hyuga Bodyto access it's full potential. The sharingan, i agree here, gives the user the possibility to not really do much during a fight except using the eye. The strenght of the Byakugan on the other hand comes from the combination of body and eye (because of it's defensive nature). That's why you can't look at it seperated.
Neither eye is neatly categorized as "offensive" or "defensive". Each one offers different abilities that can be for both offense or defense according to preference. Yeah, Byakugan has many uses that can be considered defensive like being able to spot hidden enemies/traps from a great distance nearly 360° around, but a good part of it's abilities are applied offensively too. The Jyuuken fighting style is based on using Byakugan to locate and strike inner coils. Also, users who can see the tenketsu like Neji can completely cut-off chakra. Byakugan is actually used more for offense during most battles as this is preferred way of fighting for the Hyuuga.

Expanding on what Kenshin_Uchiha said, Sharingan's ability to predict and read movements is great for defensive maneuvering and avoiding attacks. It can see through most genjutsu meaning Sharingan user has a huge defensive advantage in that area (arguably higher than Byakugan's). Seeing chakra flow/color is also another ability which has defensive purposes (similar to Byakugan)

Spoiler:


The big difference is that Sharingan can be used directly to attack, either through genjutsu or MS techniques, while Byakugan can only be used indirectly on the offensive. In that aspect, Sharingan is more offensive. But I wouldn't really say Sharingan lacks at all in the defensive area. Even compared to Byakugan.

Quote:
In football(soccer), there's both tactics. Offensive, fast play, and defensive play to create openings for counter attacks. Both tactics are valid and have shown to be effective (On a side note. The defensive tactic is more sucessful in tournaments. There is this quote. Offense wins games, Defense wins tournaments)
It's the opposite in fighting/war though. Going on the defensive usually means a disadvantage. Watch any boxing match or UFC competition and you'll see. The side who can gain offensive dominance the quickest is usually the one that wins.

Quote:
So if you consider a fight between a byakugan user and a sharingan user, you have to take into account the use of the body. If a byakugan user would be able to see an amaterasu attack miles ahead, why shouldn't he be allowed to avoid it? It was his eye which created this chance in the first place. So that would be it's strength and advantage at this point.
Well, I don't know why a Sharingan user would use Amateratsu from miles away because they generally want to see the target before using Amaterasu. But no, a Byakugan user couldn't avoid it no matter how far they were because the flames don't travel to the opponent, instead the area where the user focuses sight is ignited. Byakugan can't "see" Amaterasu coming.

Quote:
In the end, it's always about the "user" and his or her capabilities. If an offensive Football team can't break a defense to shoot goals, and the defensive team isn't good enough in their offense to shoot goals, it'll be a draw.
That's true. Though if you consider Byakugan and Sharingan as tools or weapons the overall effectiveness of each has to be taken to account. What's more dangerous? A trained soldier with a fork or a novice with a M16? That's an extreme example and I'm not saying that kind of power gap exists between Byakugan and Sharingan but if two otherwise equally capable fighters go at it, the one with the most strongest/effective weapon is more likely to win. Of course, what's most "effective" can change scenario to scenario.
__________________




Last edited by Sabaku Kyu; 2008-11-17 at 16:03.
Sabaku Kyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-17, 16:05   Link #2106
Rurik
Golden
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: 9th Temple
Age: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabaku Kyu View Post
Neither eye is neatly categorized as "offensive" or "defensive". Each one offers different abilities that can be for both offense or defense according to preference. Yeah, Byakugan has many uses that can be considered defensive like being able to spot hidden enemies/traps from a great distance nearly 360° around, but a good part of it's abilities are applied offensively too. The Jyuuken fighting style is based on using Byakugan to locate and strike inner coils. Also, users who can see the tenketsu like Neji can completely cut-off chakra. Byakugan is actually used more for offense during most battles as this is preferred way of fighting for the Hyuuga.
The Premise of Defense and Offense is not that far off, based on the Eye and the Eye only, forgetting about the added Benefits the user can give them. in this case, Is not the Byakugan that is giving an offensive edge, rather the user is exploiting what the Byakugan gives to use offensive moves (this is why we all agree that the wielder is very important for the tool to work properly).

With the Shriagn, the majority of things have an offensive mean, its looks more like an eye designed for Battle, : been able to copy the fighting style of your opponent, the in-house ability to manage Genejutsu, and the MS..all have offensive means, or better put, fighting means..

Whereas, if you look at the Byakugan, everything is based for recon and have more details about the surrounding environment, hence the expression, “it is more powerful than the sharingan in insights abilities”. None of the ability of the Byakugan alone has an battle like feel to it.

To make it more simple, if the average Human would wake up with the Baykugan tomorrow, he would still get his ass kicked by a more experienced fighter (I like to joke saying that the difference would be, that he is going to see better his ass kicked than before), while, the story would be different if that Human would wake up with the Sharingan.
__________________
"when you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." -
Rurik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-17, 16:44   Link #2107
Sabaku Kyu
The Ironman
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
I get where your coming from Rurik, but I still say it's misleading. Even if Byakugan's powers inherently lean towards defense, from what we've seen most Hyuuga (if not all) are trained to use the eye offensively, using it with Jyuuken to locate and attack certain spots on the body. They mostly act, rather than react

If we're going to say that Sharingan abilities are not naturally defensive, but only exploited in a way that the user makes defensive, then I could say the same about Byakugan. The eye itself doesn't provide any defense, it's up to the user to take advantage of the defensive potential, same as Sharingan. Whether the defensive potential of Byakugan is higher...that's a whole separate argument. But just to say Byakugan's hands-down better defensively than Sharingan that's debatable.

The time we actually see Byakugan used mostly for defense in battle, during Neji vs. Kidomaru, it was clear Neji didn't prefer that way of fighting and only wanted to quickly close the distance so he could go back to his usual aggressive style.

And yes, Byakugan is useful for scouting and recon, but that's not really defense in the strict definition. During battle, the eye is used mostly in an offensive way.

Eh, to-may-to, to-mah-to I guess.
__________________



Sabaku Kyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-18, 08:37   Link #2108
Rurik
Golden
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: 9th Temple
Age: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabaku Kyu View Post
I get where your coming from Rurik, but I still say it's misleading. Even if Byakugan's powers inherently lean towards defense, from what we've seen most Hyuuga (if not all) are trained to use the eye offensively, using it with Jyuuken to locate and attack certain spots on the body. They mostly act, rather than react.
I don’t think you get mi drift compleley, what IM saying here is not whom is better or worst in defenseive/offensive terms (these terms could be used loosely at best), what Im talking about here is that the abilities of the Byakugan leans natrally for observation while the Sharigan leans naturally for combat.

Im talking from the perspective of the the Eye outside any training.

While Byakugan acts more as a Radar in a war plane, to give support to the entire ship, The Sharingan (and maybe the reason why so many people dislike it) is basically a tool to fight, even if you don’t copy any Jutsu, you still have the hypnotic like abilities the Sharigan seems to be born with, not to mention that once you unlock the MS, you seem to gain access to Jutsus without the need to train them to use them.

So, my observation are mostly based on the eye, seen trough a perspective outside the families that are born with it, Because I myself always considered this thread to be for a Byakugan and Shairgan comparison, rather than a Hyuga and Uchiha comparison.
__________________
"when you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." -
Rurik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-18, 09:55   Link #2109
Sabaku Kyu
The Ironman
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rurik View Post
Im talking from the perspective of the the Eye outside any training.

While Byakugan acts more as a Radar in a war plane, to give support to the entire ship, The Sharingan (and maybe the reason why so many people dislike it) is basically a tool to fight, even if you don’t copy any Jutsu, you still have the hypnotic like abilities the Sharigan seems to be born with, not to mention that once you unlock the MS, you seem to gain access to Jutsus without the need to train them to use them.
Ok, think I'm crystal on what you're saying. So far, I agree with the analogy. But even judging just from the powers of the doujutsu alone and not user's abilities, Sharingan also offers some powerful observational abilities (that are mostly overshadowed by it's powerful attacking capability in the story) and it doesn't seem to me like Byakugan's abilities make it perfectly balanced against the Sharingan.

I do agree with the basic difference in nature though: observational vs. combative.
__________________



Sabaku Kyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-18, 10:12   Link #2110
Rurik
Golden
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: 9th Temple
Age: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabaku Kyu View Post
I do agree with the basic difference in nature though: observational vs. combative.
Yes, that's basically the idea, and the reason why in the begining I mentioned that the offensive/deffensive comparison was not far off (far off, been the keyword here)
__________________
"when you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." -
Rurik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-19, 00:46   Link #2111
ronin myael
lost ronin
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: in the recesses of my convoluted mind...
One of the main reasons why I was impressed with the byakugan is because it’s far from perfect. In itself it’s basically just an imitation of Superman’s x-ray vision but with a much wider range. But when partnered with jyuuken and kaiten, it becomes a formidable weapon. Byakugan allows its user to see chakra points, with that knowledge the user then makes use of the gentle fist for offensive attacks. But since byakugan has blind spots the user must use kaiten for defensive purposes. Each jutsu that the Hyuugas created is centered on the byakugan and is meant to complement it. I won’t be surprised if they keep developing jutsus to make up for the byakugan’s flaws. I think Kishimoto did well in creating byakugan and its complementing techniques. It’s obvious that he really thought this one out.

But with sharingan it’s different. We see very little complementing jutsus for it, except for the Uchihas’ favorite katon jutsu. Mangekyou sharingan is really a sort of mutation, not everyone could awaken it. Sharingan in itself (without MS) is comparable to that of Copycat’s ability in the TV series Heroes. Its main ability is it can see through and copy almost all jutsus. It takes in what it sees, analyzes it, allowing its user to understand it, predict it and eventually reproduce it. In the real world it might be considered a psychic ability. With sharingan, the battle is mostly fought in one’s mind. Strong genjutsu users like Itachi can kill opponents without doing any real physical damage to them. The sharingan’s main weaknesses are that it can’t imitate jutsus that are based on other kekkei genkai and it can’t keep up with certain taijutsu attacks. Yet we haven’t seen any real Uchiha jutsu to solve these weaknesses, all we got was mangekyou sharingan and it’s hardly a solution since not every sharingan user can possess such a highly evolved ability.

But usually when you say a certain ability evolves into something else, it’s basically just an upgraded version of the original. I can understand why Itachi’s sharingan could evolve into tsukuyomi since sharingan can wield certain genjutsus. But amaterasu is a bit off for me. Where did that incredible fire power come from? It’s not an illusion-type ability nor a copying one. Amaterasu’s flames are physical, they’re not a form of illusion nor a manifestation of any sort. I don’t get it. Madara’s mangekyou sharingan I don’t understand either. How can sharingan evolve into that? Kishimoto didn’t really elaborate on that piece of information. If anyone here can enlighten me regarding this subject then please do, perhaps I missed something.

I think that Kishimoto just wanted to make sharingan monstrously fearsome and mind-blowing enough so that his readers would cower in fear for Naruto and anyone who dares to fight it. Also he needed to justify Orochimaru’s greedy desire to possess it. If sharingan remained the same then it wouldn’t be so special in the first place. But some of the sharingan’s evolved states don’t seem to be directly connected to it, like Kishimoto just added them so people would stare in awe and say, “wow that is so cool!” It just doesn’t fit, well at least not for me. I was hoping for a little more thought-out jutsu to complement the sharingan like kaiten and jyuuken of byakugan, or perhaps more believable upgrades like tsukuyomi. So far, I’m unimpressed with amaterasu and Madara’s mangekyou sharingan. They seem too made-up to be believable.

Last edited by ronin myael; 2008-11-19 at 01:07.
ronin myael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-19, 05:53   Link #2112
FateAnomaly
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
The sharingan is actually a symbiotic alien virus that made its way to the naruto-verse. The virus possesses psychic ability which manifest differently after mutation. However, not all humans are symbiotically compatible. Only the uchiha's eye possess the condition for its survival. Mutation occurs under high stress condition where the body produces chemical which disrupts the symbiotic relationship. The virus reacts by attempting to mutate to adapt to the changes. It mutation becomes the mangekyou sharingan.
FateAnomaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-19, 15:07   Link #2113
Kenshin_Uchiha
Kenjutsu God
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Why would sharingan evolve it's existing capacitys when you upgrade it to mangekyo? The whole bloodline concept was invented by kishi why would you want it to follow your rulles? There are no rulles.
Kenshin_Uchiha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-19, 15:10   Link #2114
OtseisRagnarok
Manifesto
*Author
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Somewhere where I don't know where I am...
Age: 27
Send a message via AIM to OtseisRagnarok
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenshin_Uchiha View Post
Why would sharingan evolve it's existing capacitys when you upgrade it to mangekyo? The whole bloodline concept was invented by kishi why would you want it to follow your rulles? There are no rulles.
There is one all-important rule that Kishimoto broke when he created these new techniques for Mangekyo: Logic.
OtseisRagnarok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-19, 15:48   Link #2115
Kenshin_Uchiha
Kenjutsu God
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
What is the logic of performing hand seals to spit fire?
Kenshin_Uchiha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-19, 15:51   Link #2116
OtseisRagnarok
Manifesto
*Author
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Somewhere where I don't know where I am...
Age: 27
Send a message via AIM to OtseisRagnarok
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenshin_Uchiha View Post
What is the logic of performing hand seals to spit fire?
I'll grant you that, but it's not what I meant. I meant that in his world, following his pre-established rules, mangekyo's techiques don't make sense. The regular, pre-mangekyo sharingan has no real offensive capabilities on its own; rather it allows one to copy offensive capabilities from others. Then, out of nowhere, it becomes mangekyo, and has abilities completely unrelated to the previous ones?
OtseisRagnarok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-19, 15:59   Link #2117
Kenshin_Uchiha
Kenjutsu God
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
I get what you are saying, but we haven't seen (atleast I don't remember anny) bloodlines that evolve, so we can't assume what happens and what doesn't.
Kenshin_Uchiha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-19, 16:05   Link #2118
OtseisRagnarok
Manifesto
*Author
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Somewhere where I don't know where I am...
Age: 27
Send a message via AIM to OtseisRagnarok
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenshin_Uchiha View Post
I get what you are saying, but we haven't seen (atleast I don't remember anny) bloodlines that evolve, so we can't assume what happens and what doesn't.
Well, we could consider Haku's... It sarted as water-control, and escalated into the Crystal Ice mirrors... But I'm not sure if that could be counted.
OtseisRagnarok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-20, 03:27   Link #2119
Killer Bee
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronin myael View Post
But usually when you say a certain ability evolves into something else, it’s basically just an upgraded version of the original. I can understand why Itachi’s sharingan could evolve into tsukuyomi since sharingan can wield certain genjutsus. But amaterasu is a bit off for me. Where did that incredible fire power come from? It’s not an illusion-type ability nor a copying one. Amaterasu’s flames are physical, they’re not a form of illusion nor a manifestation of any sort. I don’t get it. Madara’s mangekyou sharingan I don’t understand either. How can sharingan evolve into that? Kishimoto didn’t really elaborate on that piece of information. If anyone here can enlighten me regarding this subject then please do, perhaps I missed something.
Spoiler for Mangekyo Sharingan:


That's my take on MS after reading the story and watching the anime. Makes sense, at least to me.
Killer Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-20, 03:43   Link #2120
ronin myael
lost ronin
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: in the recesses of my convoluted mind...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer Bee View Post
Spoiler for Mangekyo Sharingan:


That's my take on MS after reading the story and watching the anime. Makes sense, at least to me.

Hmmm, that's a good analysis. I'm actually beginning to understand it.

Spoiler for mangekyou sharingan:
ronin myael is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:26.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
We use Silk.