AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross > Past Macross Series

Notices

Old 2007-11-09, 19:29   Link #81
Westlo
Lets be reality

I'm guessing this series will be much shorter in length than SDF Macross and Macross 7 because there is no way they can keep up that level of animation for over 30 episodes.

Please no preaching in this series kawamori!
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-09, 20:04   Link #82
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

As expected of Macross series, it looks amazing.
Old 2007-11-09, 22:59   Link #83
solomon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
I'm guessing this series will be much shorter in length than SDF Macross and Macross 7 because there is no way they can keep up that level of animation for over 30 episodes.

Please no preaching in this series kawamori!
I don't know about that. All depends on sponsership, Big West seems to give kawamori and company good money. Gonzo and Gainax put out some high quality stuff for niche shows that had above average quality.The New Astro Boy show looked spectacular, as did Gurren Lagann. It can also depend on the staff. I can't wait I feel like it's been forever scince ive seen a Macross production. Maybe it'll be a doroku sucessor when Gundam 00 finishes it's run.

YAY Kanno Yoko's BACK!
solomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-09, 23:00   Link #84
7Th
Mixtape

Now, when do they change the series composer?

As for the visuals... looks like Aquarion with budget, which isn't a bad thing at all.
7Th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-09, 23:07   Link #85
ZODDGUTS

Not exactly too fond of the character designs the only decent one is that blond hair girl named Sherly. But man please don't tell me that pretty boy the one with the long blue hair is the main character sigh. I guess he'll be for fangirls to fond over.
ZODDGUTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-10, 04:45   Link #86
kujoe
from head to heel

I'm really looking forward to this one. Not much has really gotten me interested at the moment, so I hope this one will be worth waiting for. The trailer at least shows a lot of promise.

As for the character designs, they're by the same woman who worked on Gravion if I'm not mistaken. Some of her works also include a few risque/adult titles here and there. The style itself isn't bad; in fact, I actually like it. And of course, Yoko Kanno's involvement certainly doesn't hurt at all.
kujoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-10, 05:22   Link #87
Blaat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZODDGUTS View Post
Not exactly too fond of the character designs the only decent one is that blond hair girl named Sherly. But man please don't tell me that pretty boy the one with the long blue hair is the main character sigh. I guess he'll be for fangirls to fond over.
That's a guy?
Blaat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-10, 05:30   Link #88
hobbes_fan
You could say.....

thoroughly unimpressed, but its a 90 second trailer only. The enemies are fairly non descript and the transformation sequences of the Valks don't have the functional elegance of past designs. Not a fan of stuff detaching and suddenly reattaching. Fine if it something like Mazinger or Voltron, but not in a Real robot franchise (yes I hate designs like this in Gundam as well). The musical score was fairly dull as well. Pretty enough voice and nice solo on the guitar with some solid pentatonic use but it seemed out of place. Looks pretty enough but, I was hoping for a little bit better design. The original line art of the mechs had my expectations up but seeing them in the flesh I'm a bit disappointed

It just hasn't grabbed me and I've been waiting for this for years. Here's hoping that' there's a lot more to this than the tentacled aliens.
http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=26308
hobbes_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-10, 06:19   Link #89
ZODDGUTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaat View Post
That's a guy?
Actually had to do a double take to see if it was a guy or not.

Seriously blue hair boy needs a haircut.

Last edited by ZODDGUTS; 2007-11-10 at 06:43.
ZODDGUTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-10, 13:48   Link #90
testorschoice

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbes_fan View Post
The enemies are fairly non descript and the transformation sequences of the Valks don't have the functional elegance of past designs. Not a fan of stuff detaching and suddenly reattaching. Fine if it something like Mazinger or Voltron, but not in a Real robot franchise (yes I hate designs like this in Gundam as well).
The VF-25 doesn't actually have parts detaching and reattaching, if you look closely at the transformation. You're probably thinking of the VF-25's nose section, but it just has multiple pivot points to rotate the nose tip to the center of the torso. It's like what the VF-11 from Macross Plus had, only one step further with more pivot points.

Everything is still connected by a joint, so it's not like a few Gundam designs where a part flies off and conveniently reattaches to another section.
testorschoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-10, 16:43   Link #91
astranagun

Off topic
Spoiler for Gundam:
astranagun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-10, 18:19   Link #92
hobbes_fan
You could say.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by testorschoice View Post
The VF-25 doesn't actually have parts detaching and reattaching, if you look closely at the transformation. You're probably thinking of the VF-25's nose section, but it just has multiple pivot points to rotate the nose tip to the center of the torso. It's like what the VF-11 from Macross Plus had, only one step further with more pivot points.

Everything is still connected by a joint, so it's not like a few Gundam designs where a part flies off and conveniently reattaches to another section.

Still it seems unnecessarily complicated, feels kind of awkward. I am impressed though that the megaroad ships look like the megaroad ships that took off in Flasback 2012. Better sense of scale unlike Mac 7. I hope they still use the buzzsaw sound effect for the VF guns

Quote:
Originally Posted by astranagun View Post
Off topic
Spoiler for Gundam:
There's more than 1 Gundam. See Victory Gundam, see Impulse Gundam piloted by shinn/lunamaria in Gundam Seed Destiny. The original Gundam gets a pass as I don't recall it transforming outside the White Base and the core fighter was just an escape vehicle concept.
Old 2007-11-10, 18:37   Link #93
testorschoice

Quote:
Still it seems unnecessarily complicated, feels kind of awkward.
That transformation scheme of the VF-11 and VF-25 has an advantage over the VF-1's. The line drawings for the VF-1 show its legs pivoting on hinges to attach the fighter nose/battroid hip joints, and then those hinges have to detach from the legs. The VF-1 design actually has more in common with the dettach/reattach issue than the newer designs. The animators made the VF-1's transformation look more elegant by not drawing in the line drawings' leg hinges in most scenes.
Old 2007-11-10, 19:20   Link #94
hobbes_fan
You could say.....

See I can forgive that in a series nearly as old as myself. I think of it as more a limitation on the animation techniques of the time that sequences aren't as accurate/detailed. And to be honest from the series and SYRL , the sequence isn't gone into as much detail. It gets a couple of seconds but there aren't any grandiose extreme closueps of moving parts. Just a general idea of what goes where. I look at the VF-0S, which is what I think the VF1 sequence is supposed to be and considering the timeline had they used contemporary techniques, the SV51 which is probably looks the most complicated but it actually looks smooth and efficient to me, the YF19, and the yf21 sequences they strike me as also having been fuctionally engineered. The VF11 was a very good design/sequence (shame about the series, ridiculous screen reuse).

But no matter what I'm stuck with whatever Mac F is. I didn't wait this long just to give up on it now. It could be worse than MAc7 and I'd probably still buy the R1 discs

Last edited by hobbes_fan; 2007-11-10 at 19:38.
Old 2007-11-11, 04:04   Link #95
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks
Oh wow, that trailer looks awesome. When is this supposed to come out, again?

I was thinking that this must be set sometime after Macross 7 (sorry if this was already pointed out, I haven't been keeping up with this thread much), because of how the new type of Valkyrie looks like an improved version of the VF-19's transformation system. It looks like it's about another colony fleet like the Macross 7 fleet, based around the same Macross-line of ship as the Macross 7, maybe, based on how there's a dome city much like City 7?

So what is this series supposed to be in relation to the other series-es, or is it its own story? (I assume the later)
Old 2007-11-11, 04:40   Link #96
hobbes_fan
You could say.....

yes about 40 years after macross7, no plot details have been released, early indication are for late 2008 -2009 from most forums. Which sucks as the 25th anniv was about 1month ago.
Old 2007-11-11, 04:41   Link #97
Shouta
Infinite-Zero/Translator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinji103 View Post
So what is this series supposed to be in relation to the other series-es, or is it its own story? (I assume the later)
It takes place a good 25 years, at least, after Macross 7 (as I recall, they were mentioning 2070ish early on I believe). It'll probably be its own story with references to the others or maybe even characters that become part of the support cast. I'd like to see some older Fire Bomber around.
Shouta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-11, 05:11   Link #98
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shouta View Post
I'd like to see some older Fire Bomber around.
You and me both. For one thing, I'd love to see how the Macross 7 love triangle turned out .
Old 2007-11-11, 13:11   Link #99
testorschoice

Quote:
See I can forgive that in a series nearly as old as myself. I think of it as more a limitation on the animation techniques of the time that sequences aren't as accurate/detailed. And to be honest from the series and SYRL , the sequence isn't gone into as much detail. It gets a couple of seconds but there aren't any grandiose extreme closueps of moving parts. Just a general idea of what goes where.
Yeah, the animation detail is the key, not the line design's elegance. If the VF-1's transformation, including those unfolding, detaching hinges, was animated with the same detail and attention that the one VF-25 money shot had, it would look just as inelegant, if not more so. (Anyone who's held a Yamato VF-1 in mid-tranformation can affirm that, even though that toy tried to modernize the unfolding hinges.) However, the point of that one money shot is not elegance, but breathtaking, golly-gee-whiz geekery. The rest of the transformation scenes in that trailer are much faster and look more "elegant."
Old 2007-11-11, 13:13   Link #100
testorschoice

Quote:
yes about 40 years after macross7, no plot details have been released, early indication are for late 2008 -2009 from most forums. Which sucks as the 25th anniv was about 1month ago.
According to ANN, it's three decades after Macross 7 (207x-2045), there are some plot details, and it's scheduled for 2008. The other dates were just rumors.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news...o-set-for-2008

Tags
action, romance