AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-01-23, 22:54   Link #1
Eins610

What licensed anime should I buy?

Post suggestions on anime that has a complete box set unless you highly recommend the anime. I don't have a whole lot of money that I can buy each dvd seperate.

I'm considering on getting either Boogiepop Phantom or NieA Under 7.
Old 2004-01-23, 23:23   Link #2
babbito2k
annoying white bat

Blue Seed is worth a look, $40-60 takes the whole shebang (26 eps). High quality mid-90s series, plenty action, comedy, some romance, Hayashibara Megumi in a strong role... the OAV is strictly for fans and not as good a buy at all.
Old 2004-01-24, 00:47   Link #3
Shii
Afflicted by the vanities
*Fansubber

You should wait for Azumanga Daioh, which is coming out shortly.

Right now, my favorite DVDs with box sets are Haibane Renmei, Serial Experiments Lain, and Love Hina.
Old 2004-01-24, 06:43   Link #4
7thMethuselah

Love Hina (6 regular + 3 specials DVD) or Cowboy Bebop (6 regular + 1 Movie DVD)
Old 2004-01-24, 07:15   Link #5
Thany
Unfair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vbulletin
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to ashibaka again.
Like Ashibaka said, Azumanga Daioh is a very good choice if you want to buy a licensed animes (unless you're not on funny animes that's it ^^)
Old 2006-01-18, 16:38   Link #6
EternityOfPain
Boss of AnimeLessons

Send a message via AIM to EternityOfPain
Twelve Kingdoms - One of the best fantasy titles of all times and not many people know about it.
Vandread - Great sci-fi mixes harem theme with mech in space. NOTE: Make sure you watch the first and 2nd season back to back because they go right into each other and therfore without the 2nd season you will be missing quite a lot.
Old 2006-01-18, 20:35   Link #7
Cyz
"Show it to me"

box sets? i bought my animes on best buy. so im going to name some of them that i found there.

chrono crusade: there's a thin box set edition and it cost 50 something dollars.

magic knight rayearth season 1 and 2: season 1 cost 29.99 and season 2 cost 34.99.

angelic layer: the complete thin box set edition cost 29.99 and it's a good series. it's hard to find the single ones so i suggest you buy this one to save you some trouble.

chobits: this cost a bit much but it's a good series. the complete thin box set edition cost 78.99 (i know, it's too much)

noir: the complete thin pack collection cost 57.99. story is good and it has plenty of action.

full metal panic: this is season 1 and it cost 57.99. if you're a fan of this anime then you should buy it.

d.n.angel: the complete thin box set collection cost 57.99. it has a good story (if you're in for love stories and fantasies) -> if i knew this was coming, then i should've waited rather than buying all 7 of them
Currently Watching:
-- too lazy to put it together --
~~~~~
Current sig:
Takanashi Rikka from
Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai!
~~~~
Big thanx to Patchy for the sig
Old 2006-01-19, 07:46   Link #8
LynnieS

"Azumanga Daioh" and "RahXephon" would be my suggestions. Unfortunately, I don't think the "RahXephon" movie comes with the box set yet, but it's still good nevertheless, IMHO.

Currently listening: Nadda
Currently reading: Procrastination for the win!
Currently playing: "Quest of D", "Border Break" and "Gundam Senjou no Kizuna".
Waiting for: "Shining Force Cross"!
Old 2006-01-19, 08:04   Link #9
Kyaa the Catlord

Kino's Journey. Fabulous release. (Good box, excellent art, great stories.)

Last edited by Kyaa the Catlord; 2006-01-19 at 09:43.
Old 2006-01-19, 08:46   Link #10
mxg
The Lone Gamer

Send a message via AIM to mxg Send a message via MSN to mxg Send a message via Yahoo to mxg
Berserk
Evangelion Platnum Edition
Gungrave
I think they are worthy of being bought in a set.
Old 2006-01-19, 12:49   Link #11
spiox
Guru

Tenjou Tenge got licensed, just when the big tournament is coming..
I'm gonna buy em all when they come out so if you like action, school life, ecchi you should try it
Old 2006-01-19, 13:00   Link #12
2H-Dragon
Silent Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by EternityOfPain
Twelve Kingdoms - One of the best fantasy titles of all times and not many people know about it.
Vandread - Great sci-fi mixes harem theme with mech in space. NOTE: Make sure you watch the first and 2nd season back to back because they go right into each other and therfore without the 2nd season you will be missing quite a lot.
I wouldn't recommend Twelve Kingdom's. It was great I agree, but it didnt finish and I don't think it ever will.

I didnt see the 2 series you listed Eins610. So I dont know which one is a better buy. :|

You can buy the huge ass Rurouni kenshin boxset which is around $100(Not sure about the price I saw it for 99 euro's at a shop) I think.
Old 2006-01-19, 13:48   Link #13
shikamarufoo

Get Elfen Lied, the boxed set of Fruits Basket and DNAngel. All three of them had good stories and I enjoyed them.
Old 2006-01-19, 18:11   Link #14
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Try Seraphim Call. It is a truly unique series. On the surface it seems like same-old-same-old. 11 girls... 1 wish at Acropolis Tower... 12 episodes... You'd figure that it was just another moe or bishoujo title. Seraphim Call is the farthest thing from ordinary.

What makes Seraphim Call special, is that each episode is a unique example of storytelling. One episode is told entirely from the point of view of a stuffed toy. Another is the search to discover the truth behind a mystery, except that mystery is more desirable than truth. Yet another is one girl discovering what it is to be another. These episodes crossed realities, imagination, time and space. All without leaving their own world. This show had two basic types of episodes: Weirdness and Total Mindf*ck, with a few episodes falling somewhere into the middle. I give this a very high recommendation.

This is also one of the best values you will ever see in a DVD. Media Blasters released all 12 episodes on a 2 DVD set for $29.98 and if you look you might be able to find it even cheaper.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
Old 2006-01-19, 19:37   Link #15
Kamui4356
Aria Company

I can't believe no one mentioned Nadesico. It may seem like standard mecha fare at first, but it turns into a series that works on several levels. Quite simply this series is one of those must sees for a true otaku.

The region 1 dvds can be picked up quite cheaply, though if one has money to spare, the series is being rereleased in a r2 box set.
Old 2006-01-19, 20:44   Link #16
Radiosity
Sexy Tornado
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2H-Dragon
I wouldn't recommend Twelve Kingdom's. It was great I agree, but it didnt finish and I don't think it ever will.
I'd recommend it personally. The main story does finish, at least enough for good closure. It's incredibly irritating not knowing what happens to Taiki and the Tai kingdom, not to mention the new Kirin for Kou and so on, but at least you do get proper closure on the whole Kei story Arc. Considered as it is, I'd still give it a 10/10 for being generally awesome in all respects

edit: yay for thread resurrection
Old 2006-01-20, 17:31   Link #17
ace firefist
Kerazy.com Editor

Send a message via MSN to ace firefist
Without a doubt you should buy "Hajime No Ippo" AKA."Fighting Spirit."
It is the best sports anime I've seen so far, great action and UNRIVALLED comedy.
In some ways its more funnier than Great Teacher Onizuka.
Heres an Animenfo link for more info: http://www.animenfo.com/animetitle,1...e_no_ippo.html
Seriously check this out.
Old 2006-01-20, 17:59   Link #18
Circular Logic
土は幻に
*Fansubber

Ummm guys....2 years old thread? :P
Old 2006-01-20, 19:37   Link #19
Kamui4356
Aria Company

Quote:
Originally Posted by Circular Logic
Ummm guys....2 years old thread? :P
Just because the original poster probably doesn't care anymore doesn't mean others can't be helped. For instance, I came in here with the intent of promoting nadesico, which is a great series that everyone should see, when I found myself intrigued by NSW's recommendation. Now I'm going to have to check it out.
Old 2006-01-21, 12:50   Link #20
2H-Dragon
Silent Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiosity
I'd recommend it personally. The main story does finish, at least enough for good closure. It's incredibly irritating not knowing what happens to Taiki and the Tai kingdom, not to mention the new Kirin for Kou and so on, but at least you do get proper closure on the whole Kei story Arc. Considered as it is, I'd still give it a 10/10 for being generally awesome in all respects

edit: yay for thread resurrection
It didnt give me enough closure. :P For me it felt like im missing like half the story. Still weird it didnt finish though. :/ Im not saying its bad or anything, but as he wants a complete box set and twelve Kingdom's isnt completed eventhough there are no plans to release more eps. Not that it matters much anymore now I see this is a 2year old thread. =o
Closed Thread